• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Is there truly a fighting game that's the best?

In the end it all comes down to preference of gameplay.
Because it is a super ****ing underrated fighting game that absolutely deserves a sequel, Tatsunoko VS. Capcom. The Baroque system was GODLIKE.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Those who stick to melee do it for one reason; it's a superior game. This is not to say that, for example, smash 4 or even brawl are bad games, it's just that, objectively, melee is better competitively.

Anyway, reply if you disagree, and please, say why.
Applying "objectively" to a subjective statement. That is why I disagree.

The concept that Melee is objectively better due to its controller complexity and faster gameplay is what pushes away people who don't like Melee. (That and a usually pompous attitude that oozes from Melee-only purists, but that's a whole different discussion.) One cannot apply objective arguments to a subjective debate. Melee also has downfalls, such as an extremely limited number of players who win major tournaments, an extremely limited number of viable top 8 characters, age, and a much higher skill curve than what is acceptable for many players who prefer Smash 4. THis is why it cannot objectively be a better competitive game; all of these assessments are subjective.

It's like how I prefer to watch American football-- it's complex, it has gaps in the gameplay to digest and talk, it has a structured, easy to plan for schedule, every score is a significant moment-- but there are many in my area who prefer basketball-- fairly simple game, quicker games, much more scoring, fewer breaks, etc. Neither is objectively a better game than the other. Football meets my preferences. Basketball meets my friends'. They're both competitive games worth playing and watching, and arguing which one is better is a stupid argument to have.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Two major problems I see on holding out until November:

1. Nintendo also has to push LGPE for its release in mid-November. Waiting until the very beginning of November will take attention away from Pokemon, which it definitely needs for its Black Friday release.

2. Datamines. This game's roster WILL be leaked before it releases; Considering that it happened to Brawl and Smash 4 and the fact that news on the internet spreads like wildfire, they need to reveal this stuff sooner than later. The only way they can avoid this scenario is if they officially reveal the info prior to when the game goes gold, or VERY soon after.

Therefore, I'm fairly confident they'll reveal something this month. Whether it's a trailer or a direct, I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
They were not bugs, but the effects that they had on gameplay weren't intentional.
I'm pretty sure that the only unintended side effect was the fact that Melee blew up into a hyper competitive game at all.

I know this, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with advanced techniques in the first place. I can still hope that nothing like that slips into the game.
Prepare to be disappointed is all I'm gonna say.

Smooth Criminal

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Grain of salt my man take it with grain of salt

Doesn’t mean he’s going for smash to put banjo in he’s just visiting companys
Don't worry. I have all the salt in hand.
It's just interesting to see these pieces in play.
-playlist updates
-notices something similar happen to Isabelle's and (supposedly) the August Direct as well before characters being revealed.
-Still in the 10 day time frame (if it's true)
-Phil visiting Japan during all this 'Speculation'

I have Ridely, K. Rool and Wolf in the game, I am happy.
Also, he could be putting Steve in :4pacman:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
-Still in the 10 day time frame (if it's true)
-Phil visiting Japan during all this 'Speculation'
#Banjoconfirmed4Smash

It all adds up for this month with videos in the playlist and Ultimate's site with no new on the fighters as well as Banjo merchandise!!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Two major problems I see on holding out until November:

1. Nintendo also has to push LGPE for its release in mid-November. Waiting until the very beginning of November will take attention away from Pokemon, which it definitely needs for its Black Friday release.

2. Datamines. This game's roster WILL be leaked before it releases; Considering that it happened to Brawl and Smash 4 and the fact that news on the internet spreads like wildfire, they need to reveals this stuff sooner than later. The only way they can avoid this scenario is if they officially reveal the info prior to when the game goes gold, or VERY soon after.

Therefore, I fairly confident they'll reveal something this month. Whether it's a trailer or a direct, I can't say for sure.
Oh, I forgot about Pokemon for a minute. That's a very good point, especially when in the past, Nintendo's strategy seems to be to focus on one big game at a time. Airing the Final Smash Direct this month simply fits a lot of Nintendo's previously established marketing strategies. While there is every chance they could change, waiting super late into November doesn't really make much sense IMO, as preload shenanigans, marketing material, and Pokemon: Let's Go all happening around that time make timing really tricky and seemingly impractical.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Honestly if wavedashing isn't as useful in Ultimate as it is in Melee, it'll be a detriment to the game. Wavedashing in Melee is super fun, it's useful, it adds depth to the game and it's really cool to show your friends. Nothing clunky about it.
Depends on your friends, really. None of my friends found that kinda stuff fun. Actually most thought it was cheap and lame, since it wasn't intended. (Then again we mostly just rolled and did Smash attacks in the Melee days lol)

But when I started learning awesome combos and tech in Sm4sh, my friends stopped playing. They didn't have as much time to learn, so I just got way better than them, and they stopped having fun.

It's not fun for casuals, only competitive people imo.

domriver

Smash Lord
Here is something that I don't think has been discussed but
Presuming CGI cut scenes are a thing in Ultimate which characters would you want to see interact with each other?

I'd like to see Bayonetta talk with Samus Aran and Snake.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The Music Theory is definitely false. That being said, there are tracks from some franchises that are saved to coincide with particular newcomers as we've seen with Isabelle and K. Rool. The only thing I'm confident on is that no franchise will have two tracks listed on the website anytime soon.
So do you think Incenaroar won't be revealed any time soon?

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You guys do realize that if Phil Spencer were to talk with Nintendo now, it would mean that a Microsoft character would be DLC, right?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Presuming CGI cut scenes are a thing in Ultimate which characters would you want to see interact with each other?

Have Yoshi and Luigi interact with each other like the Everyone Is Here trailer...

Also have my boi more involved in the story than in SSE (in fact, a lot of surprisingly popular characters do barely anything in that game. I don't think Mario and Link even fights a Boss other than Tabuu)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You guys do realize that if Phil Spencer were to talk with Nintendo now, it would mean that a Microsoft character would be DLC, right?
Whaaaaat? Sakurai doesn't have a magic machine to **** characters inside of the game two months before release?!
A-are you saying there a chance that BOTH the Microsoft and Square-Rep can be DLC PLANNED BEFORE LAUNCH????

No way! Sakurai said he make a game until it's done and finished- /s :4pacman:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I want Ridley to team up with Pichu, and the return of Pikachu and Samus.
Samus and Ridley are at each other's throats, but Pikachu and Pichu are just happy to be together.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've made it clear that, despite being a Pokemon fan, I hate grinding.
Ha...

Hahaha...

HAHAHA...

You think Pokémon is bad for grinding?

What do you have to do to grind in Digimon World Dawn and Dusk for competitive, you ask?

You have to level three (or more*) Digimon to Level 99 between 5 and 6 times (in Dawn and Dusk, a Digimon's levels are separate between stages), and even before that you have to make the Digimon able to level up to Level 99 in the first place (they have a stat called Aptitude, which determines their maximum level, Aptitude increases when a Digimon reaches a new Evolution Stage or devolves to a lower stage).

Unfortunately, due to technical limitations, the game doesn't record what the Digimon's levels were between evolution stages (which would make the mechanic a pretty good one), so if you change the Digimon's evolution stage and back again (to raise their aptitude), you have to start levelling from Level 1 again.

No, I don't play competitive Digimon World Dawn/Dusk, I'm actually sane.

(*it's "or more" because sometimes you need to fuse two Digimon together)
I'm single

And even then, my non-existent gf would STILL main my boi :yoshi:
...There's a joke about the girlfriend refusing to main :yoshi:and your listed location in there...

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think some were implying he would be in the direct and maybe be the one to announce Banjo...which is just as ridiculous as no other third party developer has had that privilege.

So yea likely means nothing lol, at least for base.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
And is that so bad? Yeah they're not in base, but it would mean (potentially) they are discussing future DLC.
Not bad at all.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There are basically two types of people in the SSB community (not including say, smash 64 and PM players):

Melee players, and everyone else, who will just always play whatever game is the newest. Why is this? From where I stand, I see it like this. Those who stick to melee do it for one reason; it's a superior game. This is not to say that, for example, smash 4 or even brawl are bad games, it's just that, objectively, melee is better competitively.

The reason to play smash 4 is.... Well, personally I don't know. I got into competitive melee only last spring, and I mean spring of 2018. I'm kidding, though, I think I see the reason to play smash 4, and ultimate when it comes out. It's just more fun for every reason that isn't seen from a competitive point of veiw. Brawl had a FAR better one player mode than melee, so, if you don't really play smash for the sake of competition, then you had every reason to play Brawl, a game considered to be inferior.

Anyway, reply if you disagree, and please, say why.
Ah yes the game where literally the same 10 players play the same 5 characters at the end of every single major tournament is, "OBJECTIVELY", the best competitive game

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Spencer could also be ironing out final details with Sakurai for B-K in base when they've mainly negotiated over the phone/skype before or something. You never know.

Or Steve. Or Master Chief. :troll:

Or no Microsoft character is making smash and his visit means nothing for Ultimate. :sadsheep:

beans

Smash Lord

Mario and Doctor Mario and (maybe) Paper Mario

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I play Smash 4 because I simply don't like Melee all that much. It feels slippery and, like someone mentioned earlier, feels like controlling bricks.
Melee also is harder to get into, I think, which is a common sentiment I believe. Me personally, I just don't have enough fun with Melee on a casual level to want to learn it competitively.
I agree with you, Maki. Melee is my least favorite of the Smash games, simply because the controls are a little too fast for me, and because the future installments offer much more than Melee does, whether it be characters, stages, modes, items, music, etc. It's still a good game and has some really good stages, but as a more casual, less competitive, party-type gamer, I prefer the newer games.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Spencer could also be ironing out final details with Sakurai for B-K in base when they've mainly negotiated over the phone/skype before or something. You never know.

Or Steve. Or Master Chief. :troll:

Or no Microsoft character is making smash and his visit means nothing for Ultimate. :sadsheep:
One would think the final details would be worked out more than 2 months before the game is set to release.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Prepare to be disappointed is all I'm gonna say.
Oh believe me, I'm prepared. A quirk of the game's physics engine had unforeseen competitive applications in both Smash 4 and Melee, and it seems pretty likely it'll happen again. And when it does I probably won't complain much, just shake my head in dissapointment and then suck it up.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly if wavedashing isn't as useful in Ultimate as it is in Melee, it'll be a detriment to the game. Wavedashing in Melee is super fun, it's useful, it adds depth to the game and it's really cool to show your friends.
It also ruins people's hands and makes for a garbage viewing experience. Good riddance.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Which Smash characters does your gf choose?
>Being a member on Smashboards
>Having a girlfriend/significant other

That's funny.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm kidding. I'm sure all of you will find that special someone eventually if you haven't already. :)

To seriously answer the question, I'm single (though I'm kinda working on changing that), so I can't really answer the question. I don't really imagine myself dating someone who plays Smash Bros. a lot, so she'd probably pick someone easy to pick up or cute like Kirby or Isabelle. I'll get back to you with a definite answer when I actually have a girlfriend.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Which Smash characters does your gf choose?
I have no gf, but if she were real she would play K.Rool in Ultimate, Ryu in Smash 4, Wario in Brawl, Wario in Project M, Falcon in Melee, and Falcon in 64

I know that’s a lot, but I believe that mains are sort of a personality test for some people and can change meaning from game to game...

Also DM me for Smash Main Readings, I can predict your love life and your future through your potential mains.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Ah yes the game where literally the same 10 players play the same 5 characters at the end of every single major tournament is, "OBJECTIVELY", the best competitive game
And this is the main reason I'm not a competitive Smash player. The people I play with at school only like to play on legal stages, no items, 3 stock, and usually no customs. It gets very boring, very fast, and when people play like this, they're missing out on half the Smash experience.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It also ruins people's hands and makes for a garbage viewing experience. Good riddance.
It's actually more the...jump-canceling, L-Canceling, tight windows for strings/combos, that sorta nonsense that destroys hands. Wavedashing by itself isn't really all that intensive.

As for the garbage viewing experience, well, YMMV and all that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom