• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
alph.png

This is true. Wendy is technically the first female villain in the series, but also doesn’t really count.
If Alph was promoted to an Echo Fighter, he'd get his own taunts, victory animations, Classic Mode ending, unique set of Smash trophies and his own amiibo.

D

Deleted member

No character has ever been robbed in Smash as much as Alph has been in this game and Smash 4.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The fact that Lance/Red's theme doesn't have a remix is a crime.
The fact that a remix like this isn’t in the game, when it should be is also a crime in itself, though you can find a ton of good remixes on YouTube that should be in Smash, but unfortunately aren’t.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Ah, okay, it's bait. That makes sense. I'll stop getting mad now.

Phoenix being in is 50% a character and series thing for me. To me, he along with Layton and Neku (and lower-key Style Savvy & the Elite Beat Agents) were the unsung heroes of the DS. High quality and original Nintendo-exclusive titles all with unique styles and memorable presentation and characters. All three should be repped. Phoenix is just my number one because I've loved the series for over a decade and I've played or experienced every single game.

Phoenix isn't even my favorite protagonist, that'd be Athena, but he's undoubtedly the most iconic and the one people know the most so a Phoenix moveset that uses Apollo and Athena (and Maya for the original trilogy fans) in it somehow is the dream.
I miss those elite beat agent.

That game was freaking awesome

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Also, this is more of a joke, but:

Hey, it's even called Spirits in Japan, and what better month to talk about ghosts than October?
You know what else is depicted in Japan that fits well in October? Demons.

You know who slays demons on a daily basis? Ammy.

Were getting Ammy for Smash.

What do you mean how did I escaped the Asylum?
...Because people like him?

Also Marvel VS Capcom proved he could work as a playable character (even if he ends up incredibly unorthodox).
Honestly I just want Sakurai to use MvC3 as inspiration for adding in at least two more Capcom characters into Smash

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Do you know who I'd rather have as an Assist Trophy over being Playable?
While Phoenix Wright to me, I absolutely want playable. NiGHTS is a case where I will take playable or assist trophy, because God knows he's been away for far too long!
I know right? with so many cool Capcom characters people want a silly lawyer. What is he going to do? Sue me? He wasn't even good in MvC people always preferred Zero, Dante, and other characters that are actually interesting and play better.
You're talking about the lawyer who can beat Galactus by simply sneezing. Get him into that Turnabout mode and you'll see what he can really do. He's got AT LEAST the second strongest hyper combo, if not the strongest for a very good reason in UMVC3.

D

Deleted member

If Alph was promoted to an Echo Fighter, he'd get his own taunts, victory animations, Classic Mode ending, unique set of Smash trophies and his own amiibo.
I was using Alph as an example of what you said, not a counterexample. Probably should've made that more clear.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I know this was a ton of pages ago, but I find that people using the term “all-star” just have been using that to say why their character should be in another shouldn’t.

Like Rex and Pyra aren’t all-stars. Nope. No way. Yet, by sales number that people USUALLY like to throw around, their game dominated.

You know, Greninja was definitely an all-star when he was added. It’s not like he was a character nobody wanted right? Mewtwo? Who needs Mewtwo over Greninja.

Guys, the same tired arguments get used to the point that nobody even knows what they’re arguing anymore. We place importance upon things we THINK are important, without actually grounding them in anything.

Few of them, mind you, have to do with playing the game and being fun. I mean really, it’s staggering to me that all that matters to this board is a few specific things, and that if the character you like is a particular character you may be told, “Uh, no. They’re not an all star.”

It sucks too, because if Smash only ever stuck to All-Stars, a good chunk of the characters wouldn’t be there.
A least in my mind, Smash has always stuck to "All-Stars," but I know I'm in a minority of a minority of a minority Nintendo fanboys who knows Luigi debuted on the Game & Watch. That said, there does at least seem to be some hesitance by Sakurai himself towards characters that he considers too obscure. The issue as far as I can tell that "All-Star" is entirely subjective, and the Smash fanbase doesn't look outside it's own bubble enough.

Anyway if it helps the discussion and to make Thinkaman Thinkaman feel old:
https://smashboards.com/threads/gdc-2008-meeting-masahiro-sakurai.146816/
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390/sakurai-speaks-on-brawl-character-development
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/character-design-101/

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
A least in my mind, Smash has always stuck to "All-Stars," but I know I'm in a minority of a minority of a minority Nintendo fanboys who knows Luigi debuted on the Game & Watch. That said, there does at least seem to be some hesitance by Sakurai himself towards characters that he considers too obscure. The issue as far as I can tell that "All-Star" is entirely subjective, and the Smash fanbase doesn't look outside it's own bubble enough.

Anyway if it helps the discussion and to make Thinkaman Thinkaman feel old:
https://smashboards.com/threads/gdc-2008-meeting-masahiro-sakurai.146816/
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390/sakurai-speaks-on-brawl-character-development
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/character-design-101/
Honestly the real allstars that weren't included in Smash 4 where Ridley and K.rool imo.

Allstar in my eyes are characters that have the biggest roles in their franchises and Brawl covered alot of those characters in the first place

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I guess like --- --- said, All star is subjective because for me, All-Stars are Characters who had influence in their media and even beyond had cultural influence.
Which a lot of Nintendo Characters and most third parties (beside Bayonetta) are. (And I'll argue Phoenix-Wright , Lara Croft and Dante are worthy of that title imo)

Then there is Characters that are gaming icons. They're big and famous, but they're not "All-star" since their influence don't go back the video game circle. (Sora, Banjo-Kazoie, Ammy, and others are here like most third-parties not in smash yet. But there is in my opinion no Nintendo Characters left in that category)

Then just Nintendo Icons, who are knows by Nintendo fans like Ashley, Lip, The FE cast etc. Who are famous too! But their influence rarely go beyond the Nintendo/Fan fandom

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
with all those character rumors and "leaks" floating around, I have to wonder why nobody is ever mentioning the Monster Hunter, despite having a boss representative in the game, already....

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
with all those character rumors and "leaks" floating around, I have to wonder why nobody is ever mentioning the Monster Hunter, despite having a boss representative in the game, already....
Because if they were in the game, They would have been announced before Rathalos...

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
I said it before and I'll say it again: Sonic Team probably sidelined Tails as a playable character when they realised just how broken he becomes in the 3D plane when given all his capabilities.

Tails' playable options became increasingly limited as time went on: fully playable in Sonic Adventure, forced into a mech in Sonic Adventure 2 (at least outside the Chao Garden), tied to Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic Heroes (a game that is very linear and corridor-y), limited to certain stage segments in Sonic '06, fully an NPC in Unleased.

It's because he can fly, which runs counter to the purpose of a platformer, in the 2D games this has limited use, but in a 3D game, you can just bypass huge chunks of level (see: Windy Valley in Sonic Adventure), unless Tails is hugely nerfed or the level is specifically designed with him in mind.
Tom Nook is usually hated

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If there was a MH character they would've revealed Rathalos and the stage with it. It's common sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
'Cause they say the series is more about the world and monsters themselves, rather than any particular characters.

Also, what the folks above me said.

I guess like --- --- said, All star is subjective because for me, All-Stars are Characters who had influence in their media and even beyond had cultural influence.
Which a lot of Nintendo Characters and most third parties (beside Bayonetta) are. (And I'll argue Phoenix-Wright , Lara Croft and Dante are worthy of that title imo)

Then there is Characters that are gaming icons. They're big and famous, but they're not "All-star" since their influence don't go back the video game circle. (Sora, Banjo-Kazoie, Ammy, and others are here like most third-parties not in smash yet. But there is in my opinion no Nintendo Characters left in that category)

Then just Nintendo Icons, who are knows by Nintendo fans like Ashley, Lip, The FE cast etc. Who are famous too! But their influence rarely go beyond the Nintendo/Fan fandom
To me, All-Stars are characters that are good enough to be memorable in the minds and hearts of many people. That extends to any lesser-known characters Sakurai deems worthy of letting into Smash, and are available to include.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The cold irony how Dr. Mario is treated like an individual character while the Koopalings/Alph and the Echoes are pretty much alternate costumes... what the heck?
One is important and the others are not (a legal enough doctor > 7 disowned kids and Alph)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bringing up an old topic, do you think Coro coro was right with the stage number or was it a typo?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly the real allstars that weren't included in Smash 4 where Ridley and K.rool imo.

Allstar in my eyes are characters that have the biggest roles in their franchises and Brawl covered alot of those characters in the first place
Mostly how I define it with exception to franchises with ever changing casts of characters. That's not to say my definition is correct though, as I'm sure I'd make a lot of Mario/Zelda fans upset if I started to list my opinions.

At least in my mind, the character that always comes to mind when "All-Star" & obscure is brought up is Takamaru or Saki. Nintendo protagonists who got their games re-released internationally and had semi-reboots & sequels within the past 10 years but also fit into both categories. Little Macs they turned out not to be. Most un-playable IPs fall into something similar to this.

Bayonetta is also another example. I don't think anyone would compare her to the other 3rd parties in Smash right now, but somehow went underneath the radar of the entire Smash community despite numerous fan polls.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I do not think that Sakurai would just reveal the Monster Hunter Character with the boss....you know the man, he's unpredictable

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It took a while to catch back up with everything here. Glad people were talking about Tekken for a little bit, but it sucks that I missed it.

As for Phoenix Wright, I think he makes the most sense for another Capcom character that isn't another character from Mega Man or Street Fighter. He's had close ties to Nintendo given most of his games debut there and has been around since the GBA(or DS since the early games were released on it in the US.). It also helps he's got some good music, is from a generally popular series and is the kind of wacky fun character that fits like a glove.

On a personal level I'd prefer Dante (for a Non-Mega Man choice at least) since I like his games more. For the people who wonder about him, his situation if he ever gets into Smash would be similar to Cloud. In that he has appearances in crossovers and the like but no main title on a Nintendo system. Project X Zone 1 and 2 along with some Capcom vs SNK card game.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Bringing up an old topic, do you think Coro coro was right with the stage number or was it a typo?
I think they were, just because Sakurai never said that 103 was the final stage count. There's no reason not to say so by now if it was the final stage count.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think it's more a case of "those who manage to get enough seniority in Smash can get upgraded".

Although in the Koopalings' case, that's not going to be likely any time soon, if ever.
Or both Sakurai and Bowser doesn’t love them enough to give them anyth8ng better than being slaves to Bowser Jr...while Doctor Mario gets priority for being Mario as a “doctor” (being the boss is always a win)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, the closed door NYC event means literally nothing.

The last time one happened, it turned out to be a private press demo for Disney Magical World 2 for the 3DS.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Since the topic of All-Stars was brought back up, my view of "Nintendo All-Star" in the context of Smash amounts to "Prominent or otherwise distinguished character of a very notable Nintendo franchise" as opposed to "character your typical gaming console player recognizes". Because if we're going by the latter definition, we'd have to disqualify most of the roster up to and including some of the Original 8 like :ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox: from being considered "All-Stars" because I'd definitely bet a lot of people didn't know who these three were when starting 64. In general, I think Nintendo/Sakurai are more than warranted in not downplaying the importance of their B and C tier IPs/characters just because a lot of fans both casual and hardcore have a very limited view on what qualifies as "deserving"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Guys, the closed door NYC event means literally nothing.

The last time one happened, it turned out to be a private press demo for Disney Magical World 2 for the 3DS.
SO YOU'RE SAYING IT WAS A DISNEY THING.
YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS DISNEY?
SORA.
SORA REVEAL TRAILER, CONFIRMED???

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright we got a new leak from the land of 4chan:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/434225095#q434225095

It's Geno, another anonymous user in the replies claims it's from his reveal.

May be fake, but since it's yet another zoomed in pic it's hard to tell, so I guess we may as well assume fake until proven otherwise, though I find it interesting. Someone shared this on the Geno thread.

The background seems to be an updated version of the playroom in the Smash 64 intro.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

May be fake, but since it's yet another zoomed in pic it's hard to tell, so I guess we may as well assume fake until proven otherwise, though I find it interesting. Someone shared this on the Geno thread.

The background seems to be an updated version of the playroom in the Smash 64 intro.
It's a zoomed in pic, so it's fake. Nothing to see here, move along.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The cold irony how Dr. Mario is treated like an individual character while the Koopalings/Alph and the Echoes are pretty much alternate costumes... what the heck?
He isn't treated like an individual character, he's treated as an individual fighter.

Also, I can't see what good will come from comparing those characters, Mario doesn't fight like Bowser Jr. or Olimar.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Tried to bring that here a bit ago. Sadly no one wants to debunk this... :4pacman:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

And... Fake
Geno looks off...
Also, pretty sure the that one reply is from the same guy. Anonymous for a reason

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well I hope that turns out real.

Geno's spirit possessing the doll and bringing it to life in more ways than just simply "possessed doll," along with an HD Smash 64 intro playroom would be awesome.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If there was a MH character they would've revealed Rathalos and the stage with it. It's common sense.
While I agree with you, to play devils advocate, they showed off the Punch-Out stage in Smash 4 before they revealed Little Mac.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

I agree with pretty much all of this and I'll add an unpopular opinion to it as well:

There are no Nintendo characters left who really have that "All-Star" level of significance. The talent pool has basically drained.

and I'd also argue that only the following characters are actually Nintendo icons: Waluigi, Skull Kid, Dixie Kong and maybe Excitebiker. Those are the only Nintendo characters left that I feel have actually left a mark on gaming culture. But the nice thing for every other character (who I would argue are all just Nintendo characters) is that being an icon is not a prerequisite for joining Smash.

For these reasons, I'm expecting the DLC for this game to be mostly third parties because that's where all the hype currently is.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well I hope that turns out real.

Geno's spirit possessing the doll and bringing it to life in more ways than just simply "possessed doll," along with an HD Smash 64 intro playroom would be awesome.
As I pointed out in the Geno thread, this looks like a still from an animation.
We did have a reveal with an animation instead of a video game made one (Palutena).
Would love to see this true, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom