• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

As much **** as I give Kingdom Hearts, Sora would really be the only "realistic internet-breaking" character left, when it comes to Smash newcomers. I mean, looking at the social media analytics for Kingdom Hearts 3 already makes enough of a big statement as it does. BUT, even if Chain of Memories and 365/2 Days were on Nintendo consoles, I would rather Sora come into Smash Bros. and have all 9 Kingdom Hearts games before 3 come to the Nintendo Switch. People will know about Sora being in Smash that might not have a Switch, so they'll get it, and yet come to find out there practically isn't any Kingdom Hearts games on the Switch - even if there are rumors that Square Enix is "heavily interested and wants Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Switch", which, I'm gonna be real with you all.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will never come to the Nintendo Switch. Look at the ****ing Pirates of the Caribbean world. You really think handheld hardware is THAT capable yet? We JUST got off the heels of Wolfenstein II.

So if Sora comes to Smash, for the fans sake, I want at least some Kingdom Hearts games to come too, so his inclusion doesn't make him feel "awkward" like how we did with Cloud, even though Final Fantasy is a whole other unique, unorthodox case.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I get hyped for characters that wouldn't break the internet (See Olimar) and am not hyped for the ones that are usually considered internet breaking (Except for Sora, I would be hyped for Sora)
Yeah, Me too. I prefer obscurer picks tbh...
Either that or I'm not really a fan of any of the current fan favorites

KMDP

Smash Legend
As much **** as I give Kingdom Hearts, Sora would really be the only "realistic internet-breaking" character left, when it comes to Smash newcomers. I mean, looking at the social media analytics for Kingdom Hearts 3 already makes enough of a big statement as it does. BUT, even if Chain of Memories and 365/2 Days were on Nintendo consoles, I would rather Sora come into Smash Bros. and have all 9 Kingdom Hearts games before 3 come to the Nintendo Switch. People will know about Sora being in Smash that might not have a Switch, so they'll get it, and yet come to find out there practically isn't any Kingdom Hearts games on the Switch - even if there are rumors that Square Enix is "heavily interested and wants Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Switch", which, I'm gonna be real with you all.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will never come to the Nintendo Switch. Look at the ****ing Pirates of the Caribbean world. You really think handheld hardware is THAT capable yet? We JUST got off the heels of Wolfenstein II.

So if Sora comes to Smash, for the fans sake, I want at least some Kingdom Hearts games to come too, so his inclusion doesn't make him feel "awkward" like how we did with Cloud, even though Final Fantasy is a whole other unique, unorthodox case.
I mean, there's already Chain of Memories 358/2 Days and Dream Drop Distance (which are all canon games in the series).

Anyway, there are different types of internet breakage, I can think of three:

Characters like Isaac (and Geno) bring a "He's Back!" hype, just like :ultkrool:.
Characters like Sora brings in a whole fanbase, just like... well... every 3rd party; he's also thought impossible, like :4cloud:.
Being thought impossible is a natural hype-bringer (:ultridley:).

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, there's already Chain of Memories 358/2 Days and Dream Drop Distance (which are all canon games in the series).

Characters like Isaac (and Geno) bring a "He's Back!" hype, just like :ultkrool:.
Characters like Sora brings in a whole fanbase, just like... well... every 3rd party; he's also thought impossible, like :4cloud:.

tl;dr version:

A character like Geno gets the Smash fanbase happy.

A character like Steve? or Sora sells systems.

D

Deleted member

The reason why I bring that up, though, is that if Sakurai is gonna do and reveal Sora, he has to do it in the most delicate way ****ing IMAGINABLE. This isn't like how Cloud got revealed since he was off the heels of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, we're dealing with a franchise that practically has games come out at a pretty consistent pace. Kingdom Hearts 3 is only known to people as a game coming out on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One... surprisingly. Having Sora in Smash would practically be the biggest PlayStation advertisement on Nintendo's most prestigious platform, so how would we tone down the corporal and sales tensions down a whole lot? Bring all those Kingdom Hearts games over to the Switch.

Because then you'll have consumers react as: "Oh hey, it sucks that Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't on the Switch, but I can at least play all of the other Kingdom Hearts games, not to mention on the go, too, AND I can play as my favorite character in Smash, Sora!" Consumers will still be invested in PlayStation for Kingdom Hearts 3, but fans will happily oblige with buying all the other content if it was also on the Switch coinciding with Sora's appearance in Smash. Everyone wins. Though, I wish this was the case, and unlike with the current situation we have now, where Square Enix pulled the mother of all **** ups and made the 9-Game Kingdom Hearts "The Story So Far" collection for $39.99, BUT it's only on the PS4 and U.S.-exclusive. Like... WHAT???

KMDP

Smash Legend
The reason why I bring that up, though, is that if Sakurai is gonna do and reveal Sora, he has to do it in the most delicate way ****ing IMAGINABLE. This isn't like how Cloud got revealed since he was off the heels of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, we're dealing with a franchise that practically has games come out at a pretty consistent pace. Kingdom Hearts 3 is only known to people as a game coming out on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One... surprisingly. Having Sora in Smash would practically be the biggest PlayStation advertisement on Nintendo's most prestigious platform, so how would we tone down the corporal and sales tensions down a whole lot? Bring all those Kingdom Hearts games over to the Switch.

Because then you'll have consumers react as: "Oh hey, it sucks that Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't on the Switch, but I can at least play all of the other Kingdom Hearts games, not to mention on the go, too, AND I can play as my favorite character in Smash, Sora!" Consumers will still be invested in PlayStation for Kingdom Hearts 3, but fans will happily oblige with buying all the other content if it was also on the Switch coinciding with Sora's appearance in Smash. Everyone wins. Though, I wish this was the case, and unlike with the current situation we have now, where Square Enix pulled the mother of all **** ups and made the 9-Game Kingdom Hearts "The Story So Far" collection for $39.99, BUT it's only on the PS4 and U.S.-exclusive. Like... WHAT???
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai has advertised a game on the Playstation via Smash...
:shadowmoses:

That being said, it would be a very good idea to bring Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix to the Switch in the event that Sora is brought to Smash, for many reasons. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Until we know for certain that we have 'something' coming...

I still stand by my dark-humor that Intern-kun simply saw a typo and was trying to be helpful by fixing it, while inadvertently causing the community to spiral into chaos.
What did he do this time?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Hmm--I can think of a character that fits all three...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If it's just Kencinaroar left for base.

Here's my perfect world DLC

Pack #1
- Second Square Enix Character... Geno
- Second Bamco Character... Agumon

Pack #2
Ryu Hayabusa
Impa (Hyrule Warriors Version)

Pack #3
Steve
Banjo

Pack #4
Rayman
Crash

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel like people are underestimating Banjo as far as "breaking the internet" goes. Nostalgia is one of the strongest emotions tied to these kind of reveals, and such a large portion of the active internet demographic grew up during that era, the craze around wanting a new and faithful Banjo-Kazooie game hasn't slowed down one bit, people were willing to fund an entire game in Yooka-Laylee based solely on that. It's also the primary reason anyone still gives a **** about Rare these days, it's all about that Banjo-Kazooie hype, people don't actually care much about the other IPs they have (although I'm personally much more of a Battletoads guy).

When we're talking about actual internet forums, the likes of Reddit, Resetera and here, Banjo would be as big an announcement as they could possibly make at this point, especially because there's also the revival aspect of it. I don't even care about Banjo-Kazooie, but I've still had to listen to the constant pleas from fans of the series for so many years now, I think it's difficult to overstate the hype Banjo would bring with him.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Ok new report on poll, Rabbid Yoshi won !

But decided to add both in as i created a moveset for Rabbid Luigi

Also i don't get why people want Pheonix Wright in the game

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I feel like people are underestimating Banjo as far as "breaking the internet" goes. Nostalgia is one of the strongest emotions tied to these kind of reveals, and such a large portion of the active internet demographic grew up during that era, the craze around wanting a new and faithful Banjo-Kazooie game hasn't slowed down one bit, people were willing to fund an entire game in Yooka-Laylee based solely on that. It's also the primary reason anyone still gives a **** about Rare these days, it's all about that Banjo-Kazooie hype, people don't actually care much about the other IPs they have (although I'm personally much more of a Battletoads guy).

When we're talking about actual internet forums, the likes of Reddit, Resetera and here, Banjo would be as big an announcement as they could possibly make at this point, especially because there's also the revival aspect of it. I don't even care about Banjo-Kazooie, but I've still had to listen to the constant pleas from fans of the series for so many years now, I think it's difficult to overstate the hype Banjo would bring with him.
Indeed, it's really bizarre how I feel like the echo chamber underestimates them. I joke, but they really are a summation of everything Ultimate's been about. Nostalgic characters we haven't seen in a while that have been wanted since Melee, making the "impossible possible" by working with Microsoft. And for those who weren't around in the nineties

Coming to Smash, they would be coming back home (where they belong).

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Ace Attorney is a great series, Phoenix is a great character, he has tons of moves you could use that relate to his games including tons of stuff UMVC3 didn't even touch (like anything and anyone from the post-timeskip trilogy), the DS is woefully underrepresented, visual novels are also unrepresented, he's an iconic character who has been part of the Nintendo family since the Game Boy Advance, he was much like Banjo in the N64 era included alongside first party Nintendo characters as icons of Nintendo, and it'd be fun for me personally dangit.

Last edited:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Ace Attorney is a great series, Phoenix is a great character, he has tons of moves you could use that relate to his games including tons of stuff UMVC3 didn't even touch (like anything and anyone from the post-timeskip trilogy), the DS is woefully underrepresented, visual novels are also unrepresented, he's an iconic character who has been part of the Nintendo family since the Game Boy Advance, he was much like Banjo in the N64 era included alongside first party Nintendo characters as icons of Nintendo, and it'd be fun for me personally dangit.
i prefer him as an assist trophy ....

KMDP

Smash Legend
Indeed, it's really bizarre how I feel like the echo chamber underestimates them. I joke, but they really are a summation of everything Ultimate's been about. Nostalgic characters we haven't seen in a while that have been wanted since Melee, making the "impossible possible" by working with Microsoft. And for those who weren't around in the nineties

Interesting that you bring up Banjo being on the Nintendo 64 box.

Because...

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Welcome back...

Also that's an... interesting avatar you chose to use :yoshi:
Thank you! That's very kind of you. How've you been?

Yeah, that was my intention. I just like the facial expressions throughout the comic it comes from

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel like i'll ever only be okay with Steve is if we also get Banjo... And Battle Toads assist trophy.

I also feel more and more like Geno is gonna get Bomberman'd and it's gonna be Sora.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Funny how people dont consider Agumon a character that would break the Internet. Becouse he absolutely is!

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Funny how people dont consider Agumon a character that would break the Internet. Becouse he absolutely is!
Agumon would certainly get a fair bit of traction, but Digimon definitely isn’t as widely recognised as it used to be. If it had been Melee then sure, but Digimon just doesn’t have the recognition to “break the Internet” like a Sora or Steve would anymore.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice

I know right? with so many cool Capcom characters people want a silly lawyer. What is he going to do? Sue me? He wasn't even good in MvC people always preferred Zero, Dante, and other characters that are actually interesting and play better.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know right? with so many cool Capcom characters people want a silly lawyer. What is he going to do? Sue me? He wasn't even good in MvC people always preferred Zero, Dante, and other characters that are actually interesting and play better.
He'll do more than sue you.

He'll point at you really hard.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Cool reminder that none of us actually know how a character will play in Smash until they're actually in Smash.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Ooh, can I try a cherry-picking argument too?

Notice this box! Zelda is not a major franchise for Nintendo! That’s why Ocarina of Time did so poorly and nobody cared about games like Breath of the Wild!

Sorry, I’m not denying that BK have a massive amount of nostalgia behind them, but I feel people overstate how many people would like a lot of characters simply because “they’re old favorites”. Heck, as a Tails supporter, I know all of my “but Tails is more important!” lines are the same kind of reach - I see Tails as Luigi so he should obviously get in; a lot of the Sonic fandom sees Tails as the Tom Nook - a character who’s been shoved aside so the new favorite Isabelle (Shadow) could shine.

I really think that, after Ridley and K. Rool did get in mainly on fan service, people are banking a bit too hard on nostalgia. Not that they’re unlikely, but the fact that fan favorites like Ashley stayed assists or modern ultra casual icons like Isabelle got in are showing that having a fanbase on Smash-centric gaming sites isn’t the only metric to get into Smash.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few nostalgia picks, but I doubt we’re getting all of them. And DLC needs to sell, so it may be a better practice go with bigger names (eg third parties) there. But I bet that there are still some newer things coming too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I do! Pokemon vs Digimon would be a nineties fantasy scenario come true.

EDIT:
Ooh, can I try a cherry-picking argument too?

Notice this box! Zelda is not a major franchise for Nintendo! That’s why Ocarina of Time did so poorly and nobody cared about games like Breath of the Wild!

Sorry, I’m not denying that BK have a massive amount of nostalgia behind them, but I feel people overstate how many people would like a lot of characters simply because “they’re old favorites”. Heck, as a Tails supporter, I know all of my “but Tails is more important!” lines are the same kind of reach - I see Tails as Luigi so he should obviously get in; a lot of the Sonic fandom sees Tails as the Tom Nook - a character who’s been shoved aside so the new favorite Isabelle (Shadow) could shine.

I really think that, after Ridley and K. Rool did get in mainly on fan service, people are banking a bit too hard on nostalgia. Not that they’re unlikely, but the fact that fan favorites like Ashley stayed assists or modern ultra casual icons like Isabelle got in are showing that having a fanbase on Smash-centric gaming sites isn’t the only metric to get into Smash.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few nostalgia picks, but I doubt we’re getting all of them. And DLC needs to sell, so it may be a better practice go with bigger names (eg third parties) there. But I bet that there are still some newer things coming too.
Huh? How is that cherry-picking? The statement wasn't, "the only people on this box are iconic." It's "the fact Banjo & Kazooie were on a hardware bundle with other popular Nintendo characters meant, at the time, they were heavily promoted and recognizable."

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

Never thought I'd have to use this meme for a character that wasn't Incineroar...

And Phoenix Wright is a cool character. He could bring many things with him, such as his great music, a court stage, and not to mention his famous Objection.

And just because some people (ie YOU), did not like him in MvC, does not mean the Smash fanbase would not appreciate him. Dante and Zero are not characters that would be actually interesting or would play better to ME . Phoenix Wright would hype me up over those characters any day.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Found the guy who never played the series.
Or know what other things he could do.

Smh

KMDP

Smash Legend
see Tails as Luigi so he should obviously get in; a lot of the Sonic fandom sees Tails as the Tom Nook - a character who’s been shoved aside so the new favorite Isabelle (Shadow) could shine.
I said it before and I'll say it again: Sonic Team probably sidelined Tails as a playable character when they realised just how broken he becomes in the 3D plane when given all his capabilities.

Tails' playable options became increasingly limited as time went on: fully playable in Sonic Adventure, forced into a mech in Sonic Adventure 2 (at least outside the Chao Garden), tied to Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic Heroes (a game that is very linear and corridor-y), limited to certain stage segments in Sonic '06, fully an NPC in Unleased.

It's because he can fly, which runs counter to the purpose of a platformer, in the 2D games this has limited use, but in a 3D game, you can just bypass huge chunks of level (see: Windy Valley in Sonic Adventure), unless Tails is hugely nerfed or the level is specifically designed with him in mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom