• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Be honest most of you didn't know who Richter Belmont was before his splash screen. I did because I am an all around gamer. My main will be Dr. Mario and Simon. Also, it would be Goku if he gets in because I know he has a bigger shot than most requested fighters. It is a fact no1 would care about an Arms rep if it got announced in the direct. It would be even more lackluster than the isabelle announcement. They did Simon and K.Rool before that and follow it up with boring Isabelle? That is so lame these last characters better create an impact instead of be some stupid no names.
Dude, you can't argue that no one would care about Arms getting in Smash when the game sold 2 million copies. I'm pretty sure those 2 million people would like the idea. You're making it seem like your opinions are fact. You're saying that Isabelle was boring and lackluster when 1. Animal Crossing has a huge fanbase, 2. many people were very hyped about Isabelle, and 3. Isabelle was my most wanted character before she got revealed, so just because she's boring or lackluster to you doesn't mean the same for everyone else.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Speaking of ARMs, if Spring Man and Ribbon Girl get in as our first DLC, how do you think they'll handle them? Would they share a slot similar to Wii Fit Trainer's, Robin's, and Corrin's gender swaps, or would one of them be an Echo of the other?
I’m hoping we get Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as an echo. All their attacks could be the same but with different damage properties, which would be a good way to represent the different ARMS you can equip in game.

It’s probably outside the limits of an echo but it would be cool if they had differences such as their unique abilities in ARMS. spring man could get a rage like mechanic while Ribbon Girl would get a triple jump.

Last edited:

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
Dude, you can't argue that no one would care about Arms getting in Smash when the game sold 2 million copies. I'm pretty sure those 2 million people would like the idea. You're making it seem like your opinions are fact. You're saying that Isabelle was boring and lackluster when 1. Animal Crossing has a huge fanbase, 2. many people were very hyped about Isabelle, and 3. Isabelle was my most wanted character before she got revealed, so just because she's boring or lackluster to you doesn't mean the same for everyone else.
Majority if not all those isabelle reactions were fake to get views. The next character that will be announced you will still see that over acting reaction with the same people. Its nothing new but none of those reactions were funny or genuine.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You just proved to me that fanboys are the reason that game sold decently and not because of it being an actual hit on the console.
No, my post didn't prove anything like that. Also, ca you stop with the fanboys thing? You're making it sound like it's an insult to be a fan of Nintendo

D

Deleted member

Honestly, part of why I loved ARMs was because it was different and new. Nintendo doesn't usually like to try new things, so I was overjoyed to see them branch out with things like Splatoon, ARMs, and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. While I can't speak for STEAM (haven't played it, and probably won't), I loved ARMs and Splatoon. I'm really excited to see what other IPs Nintendo lets their younger developers come up with next. More new IPs means more cool ideas for Smash, after all. ;)

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
No, my post didn't prove anything like that. Also, ca you stop with the fanboys thing? You're making it sound like it's an insult to be a fan of Nintendo
It isn't meant to be an insult but I will admit I am embarrassed to be a fan of something that people praise for their faults. There is a difference between a fan and fanboy you know.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Majority if not all those isabelle reactions were fake to get views. The next character that will be announced you will still see that over acting reaction with the same people. Its nothing new but none of those reactions were funny or genuine.
No, a lot of them were real reactions, because I've seen videos from said people talking about how much they want Isabelle in the game and how much sense it would make to put her in. While I do agree that some of the reactions were overreactions and just for views, most of them were genuine. Heck, one of the YouTubers even has Isabelle in his YouTube profile picture, so he definitely wanted her in. Another YouTuber has an Isabelle plushie toy, and he genuinely wanted her in, so you can't say that all of them were fake, because many of them were not.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, part of why I loved ARMs was because it was different and new. Nintendo doesn't usually like to try new things, so I was overjoyed to see them branch out with things like Splatoon, ARMs, and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. While I can't speak for STEAM (haven't played it, and probably won't), I loved ARMs and Splatoon. I'm really excited to see what other IPs Nintendo lets their younger developers come up with next. More new IPs means more cool ideas for Smash, after all. ;)
Agreed, it doesn't seem like we'll get much new Nintendo IPs in Smash but it's still nice seeing new faces around.

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
No, a lot of them were real reactions, because I've seen videos from said people talking about how much they want Isabelle in the game and how much sense it would make to put her in. While I do agree that some of the reactions were overreactions and just for views, most of them were genuine. Heck, one of the YouTubers even has Isabelle in his YouTube profile picture, so he definitely wanted her in. Another YouTuber has an Isabelle plushie toy, and he genuinely wanted her in, so you can't say that all of them were fake, because many of them were not.
That compilation that is uploaded I can confidently say all those reactions in it were fake.

Noipoi

Howdy!
No joke, Min Min would be some top tier newcomer hype for me if she got in. I'd pretty much be down with anyone from ARMs.

Also, no worries about the avatar. I know some people probably think it's cringe, I just like cute things, lol.
You keep liking cute things! Don't let the man get you down!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Could you go into more detail?
DQ seems no different than say, Final Fantasy.
Dragon Quest is a lot more complicated than Final Fantasy. Allow me to elaborate:

1. The Final Fantasy IP is wholly owned by Square Enix. They own the franchise by themselves, including all assets from characters, scenario, logos, music and all other material pertaining to it.

2. The Dragon Quest IP is owned by three different companies: 1. Armor Project, which is owned by DQ creator Yuji Horii, 2. Bird Studio, character designer Akira Toriyama's manga studio (also one of the owners of the Dragon Ball IP), 3. Square Enix, the publisher of the game.
Dragon Quest's music isn't owned by any of these companies but directly owned by composer Koichi Sugiyama, who's known to be very strict and stingy with how his music is licensed. Not to mention other controversies surrounding the guy but I'm not going to elaborate on them.

That's 4 parties they need to negotiate the IP with. Hence why it's a more difficult IP to work with in regards to licensing.

Oh, and in case someone brings up Fortune Street, here are a few more details to be mindful of:
It's based off the Japanese game series Itadaki Street, another IP created by Yuji Horii and a lot of these games are spun-off from Dragon Quest. So, the Fortune Street game on the Wii with Mario characters? Mario is the guest character in it, not the other way around. Nintendo published it outside of Japan, but in Japan, it's published by Square Enix. In other words, Nintendo was the one to license out the Mario IP to the game.

And before someone brings Kingdom Hearts as a potential Square Enix IP. It's not owned by Square Enix. The IP is owned by Disney. Square Enix just develops the games.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That compilation that is uploaded I can confidently say all those reactions in it were fake.
I'm sorry, but how did you earn the authority to judge whether someone's desire for a character is genuine?

Followup question: Who the **** cares?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, I got super stoked when I learned that Isabelle wasn't an echo. That alone made me excited because it meant even more fun to be had. Plus I love Animal Crossing

I just like seeing new stuff in Smash. I haven't even played Arms but the characters look cute and stylish and the stretchy arms seem fun to play with. Maybe we can use them to swing around Bionic Commando style.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We already know the last two characters are Incineroar and Ken so it's up to you whether that's an impact or not...

You gotta have a realistic perspective. "Everybody is here" was already an instant win for this game. Newcomers barely even matter; the old characters are all we really needed for this to be the most exciting Smash game by far pre-release. The newcomers we have gotten as actual newcomers have mostly been the most highly requested characters; Isabelle was highly requested since Animal Crossing is popular even if it is a really boring series. Ridley and K.Rool are characters that did very well in the ballot. Inkling was the most logical since Splatoon is by far the biggest new game since Smash 4. Incineroar is our obligatory new Pokemon character. Simon/Richter is from an extremely high profile NES/SNES era third party series; Castlevania isn't really much smaller in total impact to Mega Man so it's really logical to show up here. The echoes have mostly been low effort inclusions that hit characters that a lot of people like and would be likely to ask for. There's no doubt that all of Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom did pretty well on the ballot, and I'd guess Ken did pretty okay too. All of them were really easy characters to add too so why not? From the perspective that "Everybody is here" was already all of the really important characters, their small stable of newcomers do a good job of just rounding out the edges; that's the purpose of newcomers in this game at all.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You act like Goku "deserves" to be in over Isabelle, which is completely ridiculous on all levels. But believe what you want. I've stated my point, and I'm done arguing with you about it

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, just report trolls instead of responding to them.

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
We already know the last two characters are Incineroar and Ken so it's up to you whether that's an impact or not...

You gotta have a realistic perspective. "Everybody is here" was already an instant win for this game. Newcomers barely even matter; the old characters are all we really needed for this to be the most exciting Smash game by far pre-release. The newcomers we have gotten as actual newcomers have mostly been the most highly requested characters; Isabelle was highly requested since Animal Crossing is popular even if it is a really boring series. Ridley and K.Rool are characters that did very well in the ballot. Inkling was the most logical since Splatoon is by far the biggest new game since Smash 4. Incineroar is our obligatory new Pokemon character. Simon/Richter is from an extremely high profile NES/SNES era third party series; Castlevania isn't really much smaller in total impact to Mega Man so it's really logical to show up here. The echoes have mostly been low effort inclusions that hit characters that a lot of people like and would be likely to ask for. There's no doubt that all of Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom did pretty well on the ballot, and I'd guess Ken did pretty okay too. All of them were really easy characters to add too so why not? From the perspective that "Everybody is here" was already all of the really important characters, their small stable of newcomers do a good job of just rounding out the edges; that's the purpose of newcomers in this game at all.
Although I agree that not many characters will be announced I disagree with it just being incinoroar and ken. There should be a wild card that makes people hype till the game releases similar like they did with mewtwo. Ken and the cat wouldn't do it well but Goku would.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just a friendly reminder to everyone, "ignore" option is a thing and it might come in handy. *wink wink*

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've never ignored anyone on this site, I always try to be fair to posters with opinions I don't like or agree with.

Blatant bait posts are another thing entirely, however.

Shroob

Sup?

"Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave.jpg"

I really don't like bringing up the 4-sided polygon of terror, because we always seem to end up in wars about it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Putting Arms in smash would have just as much backlash if not more than Minecraft Steve.
The difference being ARMS has an actual potential moveset derived directly from the games, and so it would be interesting to have a long range brawler with their gimmick. ARMS perhaps did not meet the levels of hype Nintendo wanted, but sold well enough, and I feel like their inclusion is more in terms of them being expected more than general hype for the characters, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they were not included. Certainly wouldn't have as much backlash though, just some as they wouldn't be as "hype" as other less expected characters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Kingdom Hearts as a potential Square Enix IP. It's not owned by Square Enix. The IP is owned by Disney. Square Enix just develops the games.
I swear, everytime I get in this thread it's either to see a Troll, a Goku talk or people giving half the info/Misinformation about KH. Like, it's my Batsignal.

KH is owned by Disney, and the characters too.

HOWEVER
The representation of those Characters, ESPECIALLY the OC's are taken in charge by Square-Enix, meaning that even if Sora would be a "Disney-rep" Sakurai would probably talk to Square-Enix and especially Nomura/Hashimoto for it's representation to make sure it's good.

Even Disney do/Need to do that.
So it wouldn't be stranger to anyone if Square-Enix Employee know about Sora in smash since everything related to him is managed by them, Disney or not.
Legit, going to put all Information about Sora in my signature soon so everyone stop with that.

Also guys, stop taking obvious baits. It's been going on for pages now.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think we'll surely be getting Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as DLC for the same reasons as Rex. I think they're likely.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Hey, what's going on-

Sees some troll in their wild habitat as usual

Nevermind, then. It's time to click that ignore button and move on.

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
Except Goku has all the credentials compared to other characters. So it leaves any argument against Goku invalid since he is the number 1 pick in the west and Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom