• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Nah, only if you want to debate whether or not Charizard should be killed in one shot by the Falchion. :p
Now that I think about it, wasn't there an event match like this?

...Oh. Well since I guess this event match is probably maybe 100% canon to both Fire Emblem and Pokemon, then fine, you win this time Chrom. But I'll get you next time.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Goku wins by a long shot and against Geno as well. Goku is more widely accepted and known as a gaming icon instead of some overhyped side character and some nameless franchise that failed.
Nope.

Goku is certainly an anime icon, but he's not a video game icon by any means.
Also, Mario rpg's haven't failed. Like, at all.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Goku wins by a long shot and against Geno as well. Goku is more widely accepted and known as a gaming icon instead of some overhyped side character and some nameless franchise that failed.
The majority of people know Goku as "that main guy from the Dragon Ball anime", not "that main guy from the Dragon Ball game"

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
The majority of people know Goku as "that main guy from the Dragon Ball anime", not "that main guy from the Dragon Ball game"
He is the highest requested fighter in smash. He is the exception since he done so much for the industry. He is a pop culture gaming icon.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ladies ladies.

It's not about the weapons.
It's about having 1-2 range on your main weapon and access to another weapon in the triangle.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hes both actually.
He really isn't. No one thinks of Goku as a video game character because he isn't. He's an anime character with spin-off games.
That's not enough to get into Smash, you have to be from a video game. The only exception is R.O.B., but he's a toy that's required to play the game.
He's not a manga character with spin-off games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's wild. We've had Halloween stuff all month here. I'm within a 20min driving distance of five or six Spirit Halloweens. Two of my neighbors and multiple friends are putting their decorations up today for the first of October.

I'm actually ecstatic because this is the first year my place is in a crowded neighborhood with kids. My brother and I are planning what we're going to dress as when handing out candy.
Ha! Even funnier! The Spirit Halloween stores going up around here haven't opened yet! At least as of yesterday they still eren't open (tried 2 around me). I figured they wouldn't open till today so that they only have to pay 1 month's rent.

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
I know this is bait but you're reminding me of how literally everyone underplays Arms' sales. It still ended up selling like 2-3 million copies right?
Because there were no games on the switch and Nintendo is just banking on smash to make their online program successful even though its got crappy wifi and horrible service.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
He is the highest requested fighter in smash. He is the exception since he done so much for the industry. He is a pop culture gaming icon.
Can you show me these results that say he's the highest requested fighter in Smash? And even if he is, Sakurai only puts in videogame characters. We've beaten this horse to the bone

blackghost

Smash Champion
I have to admit... While I tolerate Geno and want him confirmed just for the fanbase's sake, I think his inclusion would be one of the most confusing and dumbest in all of Smash history (oppinion obviously). Like I know they're going to make it a hype reveal, but it's such an obscure character that doesn't even get as much meme/internet attnetion as Ridley and King K. Rool did.

Idk Geno has always been a weird pick for me and I always dissmissed him, but I do think this is the game he'll make it in, even if it's as dlc.
i wont know what to feel about geno until we get post launch interviews from sakurai. if he says geno is in to represent SE as a company i will be extra cofused as he isnt qualified to do that. I will wonder why it wasnt a bigger character in his place.
i agree it would be the second weirdest/ worst inclusion in smash. Geno is smash's Q. people enjoy talking at him even if he really doesnt have much to him. i'd prefer almost anyone else that is a videogame character. a character with history and a legacy that is beyond a single game.

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
He really isn't. No one thinks of Goku as a video game character because he isn't. He's an anime character with spin-off games.
That's not enough to get into Smash, you have to be from a video game. The only exception is R.O.B., but he's a toy that's required to play the game.
He's not a manga character with spin-off games.
https://i.imgur.com/lZjLI9P.jpg Goku wins.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because there were no games on the switch and Nintendo is just banking on smash to make their online program successful even though its got crappy wifi and horrible service.
So? Those are still good sales. It was enough to bring Fire Emblem back from life support so seeing people downplay the **** out of Arms just confuses me. I'm not even part of this stupid Goku bait though I agree with you that Goku would be hella hype over Geno

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm not a fan of Yuri Lowenthal as Marth because he sounds like every other major role of his tbh.

I was secretly hoping they'd keep the Japanese voices for Marth and Roy since they're so iconic at this point.

But I guess with FE Heroes giving English voice actors to most FE characters, even those from Japan only games, makes the idea of Marth and Roy not being dubbed outdated. Oh well, I could hope for a voice switch option like a lot of fighting games have, so people could choose their preferences.
I mean, Marth has had his English voice (Yuri) since Codename S.T.E.A.M. all the way back in 2015, as well as in Fates as an amiibo, so it's not really a new thing for him.
Roy on the other hand, only just got his new Eng. voice in FE:H. Though, that might still be soon enough for it to stick, we'll have to see.

Personally, I'm fine with Eng. Marth, but I actually want Japanese Roy to stay. I just like Jun's voice more than Ray's.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Geno wins, because he's actually from a video game. It doesn't matter how many games you have, it doesn't matter how popular you are.
If you're not originally from a video game you're not getting into Smash. Simple as that.

Goku is never, ever getting in. Geno will get in before Goku does. Waluigi's getting in before Goku is.

Now please, can we drop this subject? I'm sure you have other things you'd like to talk about.
When do you think the next direct will be?

Last edited:

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
So? Those are still good sales. It was enough to bring Fire Emblem back from life support so seeing people downplay the **** out of Arms just confuses me. I'm not even part of this stupid Goku bait though I agree with you that Goku would be hella hype over Geno
Arms sold because of fanboys it isn't an impressive feat. You don't get the mindset of Nintendo fanboys who accept every little thing Nintendo dishes out and will still support their crappy online even though it isn't worth the 20 dollars a year. They will argue that its cheaper sure. Also, so is the experience of playing online with Nintendo. No chat, No joining friends game, No 1st party non spin off titles with online. Everything they do is a mess for the switch besides maybe Smash and MK8 which are the only games that have decent online play. Other than that MK8 is a remaster of an older game for the Wii U. Splatoon 2 is said to be a dead zone and the only game worthy to play online is Smash and that is the facts.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So how about that one leak where somebody said that Little Mac would be the next blog update when they were talking about Dante?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I want music from Crusin' USA on any and all Mario Kart levels (Or maybe the F Zero levels). Maybe talk SEGA into lending Daytona USA music too, but that's more of a copyright mess.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'm sorry but that argument is just weak. If we go by using the evidence on that link then Goofy should be a newcomer in SBBU.

Personally, I'm fine with Eng. Marth, but I actually want Japanese Roy to stay. I just like Jun's voice more than Ray's.
I agree, I feel like their voice clip choices in a way tells their story. That being that Marth has broken out of his exclusivity where Roy is still largely a Japanese only character.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think that an ARMS character is more likely for DLC than on the main roster, though they may do what they did for the Inklings in Smash 4 and save it for the next Smash... who knows.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Just take into account that halloween is only " huge" in United States, the rest of the world is more indifferent or "meh" about halloween, i do think nintendo has a more "worldwide" approach instead of focusing in certain areas.
This is true! Hmmmmmmmm

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ladies ladies.

It's not about the weapons.
It's about having 1-2 range on your main weapon and access to another weapon in the triangle.
BRB, reclassing my Charizard to Wyvernlord and equipping him with a Javelin. Maybe with dancer support he'll be able to one round Chrom before he gets a chance to counter attack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You don't get the mindset of Nintendo fanboys who accept every little thing Nintendo dishes out and will still support their crappy online even though it isn't worth the 20 dollars a year. They will argue that its cheaper sure. Also, so is the experience of playing online with Nintendo. No chat, No joining friends game, No 1st party non spin off titles with online. Everything they do is a mess for the switch besides maybe Smash and MK8 which are the only games that have decent online play. Other than that MK8 is a remaster of an older game for the Wii U. Splatoon 2 is said to be a dead zone and the only game worthy to play online is Smash and that is the facts.
That still sold better than a LOT of other Nintendo IPs like Wonderful 101
I don't get why Nintendo's objectively awful online is relevant here but ok

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just have a hard time believing that Porky would be anything but a boss.
Porky could be playable, they'd just have to reduce his mech's size; though, in Brawl, it was much bigger than it was in Mother 3 :I

I'd personally like to see Porky as he is in EarthBound, with his mech from that game.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
There are three certainties in life

Death, taxes, and Goku in Smash discussions
Goku is also one of the four things that you should never argue with people about unless if you want a surefire way to know you hate them... those being religion, politics, and Sonic the Hedgehog

blackghost

Smash Champion
a lot of old school "fans" deny the value of newer games to Nintendo insisting the newer series arent as valuable or worth it. ARMs is solid. its not gonna be a world beater like splatoon but even that had a LOT of hate at launch.
i really dont want to dignify these goku fans with arguments it always feelis like they are trolling. there are a lot of fan-made rules that were never binding on who gets in Sakurai from his own mouth has said standards that goku simply cannot meet.

go play fighterz if you like goku there's like 6 of him.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So how about that one leak where somebody said that Little Mac would be the next blog update when they were talking about Dante?
It will probably be deconfirmed tomorrow/in the next hours.
And even if it's a lucky guess, I doubt that leak is true, I think it's just a Dante fan who made a leak to make people talk about Dante.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Even though I’ve never played DQ, having a character in Smash would make more sense than Geno.

Being brutally honest by putting it out there.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
You can use the same argument for a wide breadth of characters, such as Spider-Man and Batman.
The thing is, they will never be in Smash as the series is a celebration of video games, not pop culture in general.

Doesn't matter if their games were extremely popular or did a lot for the medium, they still don't originate from video games.
That's one of Sakurai's only hard rules for consideration of a fighter, even the ballot said the same thing.

It just won't happen.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm pretty sure not only every character in Smash is from a videogame, but also every assist trophy, trophy, sticker, song, etc. If I'm correct in my assumption, every single thing included in Smash Bros originated from a videogame, and never from a manga or anime, and that will never change, which means Goku will never happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom