• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJNbVvAQ44

Look at this awful video, bullying Chris Taylor (SpookyWoobler) everyone report this video
Now i think all SONY fans are toxic
Wow. My internal organs are burning inside from all the cringe and bleach I needed from watching this retched abomination.

Actually, scratch that. Retched abomnination is the understatement of the century. I don't think there are any known words in the human launguage that can do this justice.... oh, and the comment this pathetic piece of **** pinned is every bit as awful.

I would go in depth, but this pathetic **** does not deserve that dignity. May he rot in hell.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I wouldnt be surprised if Geno was passed up for Dragon Quest.
Bomberman was regulated to an AT.
Dragon Quest is one of the remaining legacy series remaining, which is still relevant.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I have to admit... While I tolerate Geno and want him confirmed just for the fanbase's sake, I think his inclusion would be one of the most confusing and dumbest in all of Smash history (oppinion obviously). Like I know they're going to make it a hype reveal, but it's such an obscure character that doesn't even get as much meme/internet attnetion as Ridley and King K. Rool did.

Idk Geno has always been a weird pick for me and I always dissmissed him, but I do think this is the game he'll make it in, even if it's as dlc.
I think he would be a Who and a Retro character in Ultimate like how Pit is in Brawl despite Geno being a 3rd Party character. He can represent the SNES RPG era.

Although Chrono and Dragon Quest Character does better here though...

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Corrin would have a chance since they can beat their fellow FE characters in a fight...but only them...Ridley would just murder Chrom specifically for no reason
Not unless Corrin is significantly over leveled. Those amiibo battles are tough for him. It's better to just use other units to fight those guys.
The Awakening version of the Falchion doesn't care. :V
Wyverns technically aren't dragons either, but it does effective damage against them too. :p
Actually yes they are. They used to be their own manakete tribe but they all turned feral due to degeneration. Wyvernstones are even a thing, an Tiki can even use one to transform into a wyvern in Mystery of the Emblem.

D

Deleted member

As someone who used to believe Music Theory, I'm alright with calling it bogus now. A big problem with the theory I've come to realize is that new remixes from different series are uploaded every week, meaning that unless the final characters were going to be revealed very soon, the amount of series without music tracks will slowly shrink and leave no options for newcomers.

Basically, I think I and others who backed it at first got a little too focused on the AC remix being delayed. Like most Smash theories, a lot of the supposed "evidence" usually turns out to be either coincidence or over-analyzing supposed patterns that aren't there, so at this point, I'm not really backing any theories. I'm in the wait and see group. :p

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think he would be a Who and a Retro character in Ultimate like how Pit is in Brawl despite being a 3rd Party character. He represent the SNES RPG era.

Although Chrono does better here though..
But I think what's weird about it is that he's 1. A 3rd party one like you said and 2. Would he revealed as if he was a hype character....

It's just a strange world we live in that a secondary party member from a Mario RPG spin off that didn't even have an original world wide release is likely to appear in smash when a character as iconic as let's say Dixie Kong might not. It's just weird lol.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
People take those "theories" too much seriously IMO. I think they are interesting from a speculation point of view but you can't actually trust a theory like if it's a fact.
Theories are only useful to calculate a possibility that may happen or may not.
Theory and reality are not the same thing.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
As someone who used to believe Music Theory, I'm alright with calling it bogus now. A big problem with the theory I've come to realize is that new remixes from different series are uploaded every week, meaning that unless the final characters were going to be revealed very soon, the amount of series without music tracks will slowly shrink and leave no options for newcomers.

Basically, I think I and others who backed it at first got a little too focused on the AC remix being delayed. Like most Smash theories, a lot of the supposed "evidence" usually turns out to be either coincidence or over-analyzing supposed patterns that aren't there, so at this point, I'm not really backing any theories. I'm in the wait and see group. :p
I think music theory was..."sorta right"

it was on to something, basically it picked up on the fact they werent showing music tracks for newcomer characters until the week of their reveal BUT this was likely just so that the music section was as diverse as possible while we didnt have very many tracks on that section. Now that we have lots of music, i dont think it will make much of a difference to get incineroar in a few weeks and add a second pokemon track for example. It would have been odd though back before K Rool to have a DK track get added, then have K Rools reveal add another DK track and still be missing anything from Pokemon, basically I think it was a pattern that by the time it was recognized didn't really give us much information on remaining newcomer characters.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Dragon Quest would be a bit of a copyright nightmare, so no.
Idk Sakurai picked the Belmont's seemingly over Bomberman.

I feel like Geno might be the Bomberman of Square Enix and we could see a random Dragon Quest protagonist, or even a create your own DQ protagonist playable.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m still waiting for a proper Earthbound remix that isn’t another Beginnings track or Eight Melodies remix.

Title screen, choose your name, Ness’ bike, battle theme etc. Please anything.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
At this point with so many theories going around we don't know which one is right or the most accurate one...
*stage whispers* Nihilist theory.

No, really, we don't even know what exactly they will reveal and when. It feels pointless to discuss theories.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
But I think what's weird about it is that he's 1. A 3rd party one like you said and 2. Would he revealed as if he was a hype character....

It's just a strange world we live in that a secondary party member from a Mario RPG spin off that didn't even have an original world wide release is likely to appear in smash when a character as iconic as let's say Dixie Kong might not. It's just weird lol.
Indeed, it is strange, and prior to this Smash speculation, I hadn't even heard of Geno. However, looking at it objectively, this quirky, spin off, one off character has had enormous support going all the way back to Melee, and unlike most third party characters, he has the advantage of appearing in a Mario game, despite being third party. And so I've gone from not knowing who he was, to actively wanting him in this game in the span of a couple of months.

Banjo & Kazooie are in a similar boat--Nintendo icons from the nineties owned by a third party, but has the disadvantage of being owned by a rival company--which would be disadvantage except we have good reason to believe Microsoft is in some form. I truly believe that Geno and Banjo & Kazooie would be the perfect hype reveals to finish off the Ultimate Smash game given that history they have with Smash itself.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh man, you get stuff in September? That's why lol. I live in Florida; we don't see things until the last few days of September (just saw a Halloween section on the 29th finally) and they have that section totally removed by the day after; as if it were never there lol. There's a particular walmart by me that starts putting up Christmas stuff week 1 of October and by the week of Halloween, its already a bigger section than the Halloween section lol.

I know not all of that itself means that Halloween isnt as popular, but I couple that with the decreased amount of trick or treaters in my neighborhood over the years. Last year, there was none. Had to go to the next neighborhood over just to see one lol.
That's wild. We've had Halloween stuff all month here. I'm within a 20min driving distance of five or six Spirit Halloweens. Two of my neighbors and multiple friends are putting their decorations up today for the first of October.

I'm actually ecstatic because this is the first year my place is in a crowded neighborhood with kids. My brother and I are planning what we're going to dress as when handing out candy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Idk Sakurai picked the Belmont's seemingly over Bomberman.

I feel like Geno might be the Bomberman of Square Enix and we could see a random Dragon Quest protagonist, or even a create your own DQ protagonist playable.
I'm not sure this is the most logical comparison to make.

Bomberman seems to not have inspired Sakurai enough to make a moveset for him yet. Plus it would take a while to sift through all his games to find stuff that works for him. Geno's home game has everything to work with, so it's much easier to cover a moveset for him.

Besides, DQ has historically been relatively niche compared to Final Fantasy in the West (even if it is a huge cultural phenomenon back in Japan), it's a wonder we even got the DQ Heroes games when previous spin-offs didn't get all of their entries over there. If we had gotten a DQ character before Cloud, things would be different.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not unless Corrin is significantly over leveled. Those amiibo battles are tough for him. It's better to just use other units to fight those guys.
Actually yes they are. They used to be their own manakete tribe but they all turned feral due to degeneration. Wyvernstones are even a thing, an Tiki can even use one to transform into a wyvern in Mystery of the Emblem.
Degeneration is weird because given how long ago it happened it's at least somewhat assumed that divergent evolution took place, given the difference in limb count between tame and feral wyverns in Archanea. On one hand Archanea-era Falchion doesn't do effective damage on the tamed, four-limbed wyverns ridden by Dracoknights, but does do effective damage on feral, two-limbed ones. In the Awakening era, the Falchion does effective damage on the decidedly tamed variant.

The wyvern thing is kind of a mess lol.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Degeneration is weird because given how long ago it happened it's at least somewhat assumed that divergent evolution took place, given the difference in limb count between tame and feral wyverns in Archanea. On one hand Archanea-era Falchion doesn't do affective damage on the tamed, four-limbed wyverns ridden by Dracoknights, but does do effective damage on feral, two-limbed ones. In the Awakening era, the Falchion does effective damage on the decidedly tamed variant.

Does this level of cryptozoology is required to understand Fire Emblem lore? :p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Degeneration is weird because given how long ago it happened it's at least somewhat assumed that divergent evolution took place, given the difference in limb count between tame and feral wyverns in Archanea. On one hand Archanea-era Falchion doesn't do affective damage on the tamed, four-limbed wyverns ridden by Dracoknights, but does do effective damage on feral, two-limbed ones. In the Awakening era, the Falchion does effective damage on the decidedly tamed variant.

The ones ridden in Awakening era are two-limbed, however, as wyverns ought to be. It's also worth mentioning the "draco" in "dracoknight" literrally means "dragon".

...Yeah, it is a huge mess. Especially considering that as far as I'm aware, Elibe doesn't even have an explanation for the existence of their wyverns.
Only if you're crazy like us and really want to dig into it.
At its surface level, it's all just "good guy kill bad lizard with pointy magic stick".

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not sure this is the most logical comparison to make.

Bomberman seems to not have inspired Sakurai enough to make a moveset for him yet. Plus it would take a while to sift through all his games to find stuff that works for him. Geno's home game has everything to work with, so it's much easier to cover a moveset for him.

Besides, DQ has historically been relatively niche compared to Final Fantasy in the West (even if it is a huge cultural phenomenon back in Japan), it's a wonder we even got the DQ Heroes games when previous spin-offs didn't get all of their entries over there. If we had gotten a DQ character before Cloud, things would be different.
Idk, isnt it tradition for Smash to have at least one heart breaking character moment.

Mewtwo in brawl.
Ridley in smash 4.
Geno smash ultimate?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah, only if you want to debate whether or not Charizard should be killed in one shot by the Falchion. :p

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Looks like he just jumps off the side lol
View attachment 167635
Does this remind anyone of the Magic School Bus? Or is that just me?
"Please let this be a normal bus ride..."

"WITH THE KAPP'N? NO WAY!"

"Aww...."

CRUISIN' ON DOWN MAIN STREET
I recognized David immediately when Richter spoke. His Richter sounds pretty similar to his Robin.
I can't wait for Super David Vincent Bros.
I was hoping they’d give male Robin “Time to tip the scales,” but figured they wouldn’t bring him back for one line. Totally forgot David Vincent is also Richter. Hope for the proper taunt has been restored!
The lack of "Time to tip the scales!" is literally the only reason I play female Robin. If male Robin gets his "Time to tip the scales!" back, then it's back to male Robin for me.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Idk, isnt it tradition for Smash to have at least one heart breaking character moment.

Mewtwo in brawl.
Ridley in smash 4.
Geno smash ultimate?
Actually, many requested characters didnt make it in from Brawl and Smash 4. King K Rool and Ridley are really heavily requested but it didnt make it in to Brawl and Smash 4.

Mewtwo is more of a veteran than a newcomer since he debut in Melee.

Also, I think Waluigi makes in to that Ultimate slot of heartbreaking. People wanted him so much but he is still an AT. Having a character that is an AT for so long despite request is truely heart breaking.

Last edited:

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
Pretty sure Goku has a higher chance of getting in than Arms characters because literally no one cares about Arms.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Actually, many requested characters didnt make it in from Brawl and Smash 4. King K Rool and Ridley are really heavily requested but it didnt make it in to Brawl and Smash 4.

Mewtwo is more of a veteran than a newcomer since he debut in Melee.

Also, I think Waluigi makes in to that Ultimate slot of heartbreaking. People wanted him so much but he is still an AT. Having a character that is an AT for so long despite request is truely heart breaking.
Poor non-God tier Waluigi

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Pretty sure Goku has a higher chance of getting in than Arms characters because literally no one cares about Arms.
That seems pretty subjective though to say that no one cares about Arms. I'm not saying Arms will be in, but to say a manga character has a better chance than a Nintendo character in a Nintendo game is just...crazy

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Also, I think Waluigi makes in to that Ultimate slot. People wanted him so much but he is still an AT. Having a character that is an AT for so long despite request is truely heart breaking.
Daisy would have been in the same situation if she wasn't similar enough to Peach to be compatible as an echo.
None of the echo characters would have made it in the game as unique, they're there only because echoes exist.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Arms still beats Goku because it is a new 2nd party franchise. Arms will be a great addition since it can be used for advertising.
Exactly. Goku has a better chance of getting in Super Shrek Bros (which obviously doesn't exist)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Despite not originating in a video game... His video game credentials are very outstanding. Goku has done more for the gaming industry then the majority of the Smash roster.

Listen to this and really take it in, here's a small break down.
Nobody wants to hear you mansplain Goku.

Last edited:

TheSmashBros

Banned via Warnings
Arms still beats Goku because it is a new 2nd party franchise. Arms will be a great addition since it can be used for advertising.
Goku wins by a long shot and against Geno as well. Goku is more widely accepted and known as a gaming icon instead of some overhyped side character and some nameless franchise that failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom