• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You're not a true gamer unless you can recognize a character featured in an iconic video game meme.

"Die Pazzo! You don't belong on this site!"

"It was not by my hand that I once again log in. I was called here by idiots who wish to speculate poorly!"

"Idiots? You create GIMP memes to mock us!"

"Perhaps the same can be said of all Smash fans..."

"Your words are as empty as your talent! Gamers have ill-need of a ****poster like you!"

"What is a Gamer?! A miserable little pile of ill-founded arrogance! But enough talk, have at you!"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also, please be real. Goku isn't happening.

Even in the hypothetical scenario where Sakurai gives the OK to anime/manga characters appearing in Smash, there's licensing to be mindful of:
1. Dragon Ball, the manga, is owned by Bird Studio (Akira Toriyama's company) and Shueisha (the publisher).
2. The anime is owned by the above including the companies in its production committee.
3. Several different companies hold the IP's license to the series' distribution outside of Japan.
4. Bandai Namco only owns the right to make games out of the franchise and does so by having the proper partnerships and licensing done and the negotiations with the IP's license owners outside of Japan. Note: Smash Bros. isn't a Dragon Ball game.

It's quite the complicated predicament beyond Sakurai changing his mind in regards to anime/manga characters.

I swear, everytime I get in this thread it's either to see a Troll, a Goku talk or people giving half the into/Misinformation about KH. Like, it's my Batsignal.

KH is owned by Disney, and the characters too.

HOWEVER
The representation of those Characters, ESPECIALLY the OC's are taken in charge by Square-Enix, meaning that even if Sora would be a "Disney-rep" Sakurai would probably talk to Square-Enix and especially Nomura/Hashimoto for it's representation to make sure it's good.

Even Disney do/Need to do that.
So it wouldn't be stranger to anyone if Square-Enix Employee know about Sora in smash since everything related to him is managed by them, Disney or not.
Legit, going to put all Information about Sora in my signature soon so everyone stop with that.

Also guys, stop taking obvious baits. It's been going on for pages now.
Yes, because Square Enix are the actual creators of the characters so it's obvious that Sakurai wouldn't have an issue with that, but the IP itself is owned by Disney and that plays a huge part in the licensing process.

Sakurai is obviously passionate about gaming and he wouldn't do anything but justice to Sora and his series. That's not the issue at all! Tetsuya Nomura was totally okay with Cloud being in Smash.

The issue is the legal mumbo-jumbo, the licensing fees, the part where Nintendo, as the owner of the Smash Bros. IP, has to reach out to all of these companies to get the licensing process cleared.

I'm well aware of how the KH stuff works. I'm strictly speaking of licensing processes, legal processes and all of those procedures. Why do you think Final Fantasy only has 2 songs in Smash?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can see Helix as potiental Assist trophy.

Also, is it possible to have DLC assist trophy in Ultimate, Smash 4 didn't have those things.
You never know. Ultimate's gonna be getting dlc for a while I imagine, I could see Sakurai adding some assist trophies as well.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yes, because Square Enix are the actual creators of the characters so it's obvious that Sakurai wouldn't have an issue with that, but the IP itself is owned by Disney and that plays a huge part in the licensing process.

Sakurai is obviously passionate about gaming and he wouldn't do anything but justice to Sora and his series. That's not the issue at all! Tetsuya Nomura was totally okay with Cloud being in Smash.

The issue is the legal mumbo-jumbo, the licensing fees, the part where Nintendo, as the owner of the Smash Bros. IP, has to reach out to all of these companies to get the licensing process cleared.

I'm well aware of how the KH stuff works. I'm strictly speaking of licensing processes, legal processes and all of those procedures. Why do you think Final Fantasy only has 2 songs in Smash?
My apology! I'm still under PTSD of people forgetting that fact and the terrible "Muh Keychain = Mickey playable" argument.
And yeah, Square-Enix are collosal ****s-up for their IP where they keep sharing license left and right and in the end, get nothings.

The fact that we only have 2 (two, deux, dos) FF music will still be the greatest Crime ever in Smash next to adding Tripping in Brawl

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Oh boy are we having a good old fashioned Internet Argument? I sure do love those.

So I played some Smash 4 recently to scratch the itch and I forgot how much stuff is in that game. I finished the event matches and I started getting Melee flashbacks from the unfairness of some of them.

Last edited:

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
I swear, everytime I get in this thread it's either to see a Troll, a Goku talk or people giving half the info/Misinformation about KH. Like, it's my Batsignal.

KH is owned by Disney, and the characters too.

HOWEVER
The representation of those Characters, ESPECIALLY the OC's are taken in charge by Square-Enix, meaning that even if Sora would be a "Disney-rep" Sakurai would probably talk to Square-Enix and especially Nomura/Hashimoto for it's representation to make sure it's good.

Even Disney do/Need to do that.
So it wouldn't be stranger to anyone if Square-Enix Employee know about Sora in smash since everything related to him is managed by them, Disney or not.
Legit, going to put all Information about Sora in my signature soon so everyone stop with that.

Also guys, stop taking obvious baits. It's been going on for pages now.
Take a shot everytime you see misinformation about Sora/KH in this thread by people who barely have knowledge on the topic

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
We already know the last two characters are Incineroar and Ken so it's up to you whether that's an impact or not...

You gotta have a realistic perspective. "Everybody is here" was already an instant win for this game. Newcomers barely even matter; the old characters are all we really needed for this to be the most exciting Smash game by far pre-release. The newcomers we have gotten as actual newcomers have mostly been the most highly requested characters; Isabelle was highly requested since Animal Crossing is popular even if it is a really boring series. Ridley and K.Rool are characters that did very well in the ballot. Inkling was the most logical since Splatoon is by far the biggest new game since Smash 4. Incineroar is our obligatory new Pokemon character. Simon/Richter is from an extremely high profile NES/SNES era third party series; Castlevania isn't really much smaller in total impact to Mega Man so it's really logical to show up here. The echoes have mostly been low effort inclusions that hit characters that a lot of people like and would be likely to ask for. There's no doubt that all of Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom did pretty well on the ballot, and I'd guess Ken did pretty okay too. All of them were really easy characters to add too so why not? From the perspective that "Everybody is here" was already all of the really important characters, their small stable of newcomers do a good job of just rounding out the edges; that's the purpose of newcomers in this game at all.
What makes me side with it is that for insider info, if that was Laura Kate Dale who posted about it. She is very credible for finding leaks and insider info.

It may very well be legit. Same with Ken.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also, please be real. Goku isn't happening.

Even in the hypothetical scenario where Sakurai gives the OK to anime/manga characters appearing in Smash, there's licensing to be mindful of:
1. Dragon Ball, the manga, is owned by Bird Studio (Akira Toriyama's company) and Shueisha (the publisher).
2. The anime is owned by the above including the companies in its production committee.
3. Several different companies hold the IP's license to the series outside of Japan.
4. Bandai Namco only owns the right to make games out of the franchise and does so by having the proper partnerships and licensing done and the negotiations with the IP's license owners outside of Japan. Note: Smash Bros. isn't a Dragon Ball game.

It's quite the complicated predicament beyond Sakurai changing his mind in regards to anime/manga characters.
And even if we were to consider non-video game third-parties, Goku wouldn't even be most logical one. In terms of icon status, characters like Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, Hello Kitty, Batman and Spider-Man transcends him. In terms of significance to gaming history, E.T. transcends what little significance Goku has and even in the context of Nintendo history is Goku easily outclassed by Popeye and James Bond. Even setting aside licencing issues, Goku wouldn't be the obvious front-runner as far as non-video game third-parties are concerned.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ribbon Girl would be a boring pick imo, If ARMS had a second rep, it should be one of the more unique charcters like Min Min or Helix... idk, just my opinion,
Lets be realistic though. If ARMS gets a second character it would surely be her due to her being the other face of the franchise after Spring Man.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And even if we were to consider non-video game third-parties, Goku wouldn't even be most logical one. In terms of icon status, characters like Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, Hello Kitty, Batman and Spider-Man transcends him. In terms of significance to gaming history, E.T. transcends what little significance Goku has and even in the context of Nintendo history is Goku easily outclassed by Popeye and James Bond. Even setting aside licencing issues, Goku wouldn't be the obvious front-runner as far as non-video game third-parties are concerned.
Ok this is offtopic as hell but **** Batman, I am so tired of seeing Batman do the same **** these days because DC plays it waaaay too safe. They need to do more Beware the Batman but with some characters people recognize.

Anyway, back to Smash. You know what I want? Better post-release support. Not just more DLC, but more balance patches and ACTUAL ****ing patch notes

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My apology! I'm still under PTSD of people forgetting that fact and the terrible "Muh Keychain = Mickey playable" argument.
And yeah, Square-Enix are collosal ****s-up for their IP where they keep sharing license left and right and in the end, get nothings.

The fact that we only have 2 (two, deux, dos) FF music will still be the greatest Crime ever in Smash next to adding Tripping in Brawl
No problem. I was just clarifying that the work with Square Enix isn't the issue. The executive part and negotiations with a huge company like Disney is the main issue.

Once cleared, Sakurai would obviously talk with Nomura and his team at Square Enix.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I was curious about Springman's moveset and how would he work in Ultimate,

I would imagine that he has little mac/grappling style movesets, and his final smash would be like, ORA ORA ORA ORA style or just his special in ARMS.

And oh yeah, he can use his arms to grab the ledge from distance while in air.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why’s everyone suddenly talking about ARMS? Has something happened regarding it?
One person says Goku is more possible to be in Smash than any Arms character...that’s all you need to know
Final Fantasy 7 music must be really pricy to use

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Dude, you can't argue that no one would care about Arms getting in Smash when the game sold 2 million copies. I'm pretty sure those 2 million people would like the idea. You're making it seem like your opinions are fact. You're saying that Isabelle was boring and lackluster when 1. Animal Crossing has a huge fanbase, 2. many people were very hyped about Isabelle, and 3. Isabelle was my most wanted character before she got revealed, so just because she's boring or lackluster to you doesn't mean the same for everyone else.
This blighter reminds me of that one Ridley fan who kept going onto Ridley-centric videos and boards and always whined about how Sakurai hated anything western, often completely rebuking any and all arguments directed his way. I posted about him a few weeks back, but if you want the quickest link to see him in action, just go to literally any Sm4sh-era video and read the comments, he'll likely be there doing his thing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One person says Goku is more possible to be in Smash than any Arms character...that’s all you need to know
Good god the stupidity. I really hope its not contagious.

See this is why an Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game should be made that way those people that wants Goku can get their wish. That and the idea of such a game would be really awesome. It's win-win.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyway, to abruptly change the topic, let's talk music!

We all have our character wants, but let's talk about the best tracks and composers your personal most wanteds would bring to Smash.

As a fan of Megaten, I think everyone here is aware of Shoji Meguro and his work in Persona, but way back when, his work was far more experimental.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Unironically Popeye and James Bond would be the only ones I'd come close to even arguing for, and even then I'd only lean James Bond because he was legitimately considered for two games. I don't even think they'd call him James Bond. Maybe 007 or just Bond.

Now that's a thought experiment - what if we had really gotten Bond in 64 or Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom