• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
QUESTION

If there were ever to be a non video game character in smash, who would be the most likely?

(Your answer can't be none, btw)
Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo Kurosaki.

Although there is one Dragonball Fighter who could technically make it in... Android 21, I think it would be great if she was a newcomer.
Ok here's something I wanted to ask because I was interested in people's opinions.

What's one character you think is very likely but is rarely talked about/isn't thought of as likely?

And what's one character you think isn't likely but is discussed a lot/considered likely?

Here's mine -

Impa - I'd say Mimikyu, but it gets pretty discussed here. On the other hand Impa is practically a guarantee for an echo spot and she rarely gets brought up when we talk about echoes (which as everyone likes to complain about, happens a lot). It's surprising with how generally popular she is. I wonder, is it because everyone thinks she's likely that people don't bother discussing it? She's the most likely echo fighter for me.

Elma - Despite the fact that a Xenoblade 2 rep seems less likely, I didn't jump on the Elma bandwagon. I really don't think Sakurai would have thought Xenoblade needed another rep in late 2015, nor would I think he would've picked Elma. I never thought she was a likely option before and I definitely don't now. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like playing as her or having her on the roster. Personally I just don't see us getting any Xenoblade character in the base roster.
Elma, Rex and Pyra, and/or a Rhythm Heaven character (preferably Rhythm Girl) - I personally see them getting in highly likely.

King K Rool, and Geno - I just don't see them getting in likely, doesn't mean I'd be salty if they made it, or against them getting in though.
If you already leaked a couple characters, why be shy on a third, no matter how "controversial" it is.

I'm guessing it's another FE character, and people will get real salted up when they see them. Except Opossum Opossum . It might his boy's time to shine. Or Celica.
Nope, give me as many FE characters as you can. I'm not one to care about a certain number of reps for any franchise in Smash. The more the merrier.
What would your reaction be if Celica actually ends up as a playable character?
Oh man, no Lyn, no Fjorm, no Anna, or Micaiah?! Oh well that's how the cookie crumbles, I'm just thankful for another FE rep, plus more swordfighters. As long as she not an echo fighter she'll be fun to play.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
For the controversial character, I'm thinking a few things:

1) Another FE rep. Maybe Celica. Or perhaps a unique Chrom. Sakurai has addressed that there's a lot of FE characters, but maybe he just couldn't resist :p. It would certainly start some debate though

2) An echo that may upset some people. Like Dixie as a Diddy echo. I can't think of another big example, but a character that a lot of people believe should not be an echo

3) Possibly a 3rd Party 2nd Rep as others have said. Maybe Shadow or Tails (he got a Mii costume) or Ken or Chun-Li.

4) Maybe a character that is very popular in the East (Ashley) but not so much in the West, or vice-versa (Rayman). The reception could be similar to Shulk or Little Mac reveals.

5) Waluigi. It was a bamboozle the whole time

I don't know what else could be "controversial"

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter. You don't have any right to try and take control of the conversation. Consider this a hard warning.
I did not insult anyone. I have seen unsubstantiated rumors and opinions spread like wildfire over the last 17 years I have been a speculator. Particularly, lots of things pertaining to Roy and Fire Emblem. When I see something false and unsubstaniated , I now try to smother it because fake rumors and information can bring a lot of incorrect speculation and anguish. Hopefully you can see where I was coming from in this matter.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai was a big Gaiden fan given the musical favoritism. Either that or he's a fan of the music specifically. Either way that's great because SoV's soundtrack is phenomenal. :p
I swear if Smash Ultimate doesn't have Twilight of the Gods...not to mention Pride and Arrogance. Or What Lies at the End.

Actually you know what? Just port over the entire soundtrack. That's a totally realistic request, right?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For the controversial character, I'm thinking a few things:

1) Another FE rep. Maybe Celica. Or perhaps a unique Chrom. Sakurai has addressed that there's a lot of FE characters, but maybe he just couldn't resist :p. It would certainly start some debate though

2) An echo that may upset some people. Like Dixie as a Diddy echo. I can't think of another big example, but a character that a lot of people believe should not be an echo

3) Possibly a 3rd Party 2nd Rep as others have said. Maybe Shadow or Tails (he got a Mii costume) or Ken or Chun-Li.

4) Maybe a character that is very popular in the East (Ashley) but not so much in the West, or vice-versa (Rayman). The reception could be similar to Shulk or Little Mac reveals.

5) Waluigi. It was a bamboozle the whole time

I don't know what else could be "controversial"
Controversial is not real. It was a misreading some people did.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If anyone has a screencap of Vergeben mentioning his unknown character is controversial, please post it.
Nobody took screencaps of everything he said in that thread because GameFAQs only lets you edit posts for an hour. Once the post is up, it's supposed to be permanent.

That being said, he never used the word controversial. That was other people interpreting his (intentionally vague) posts.

I was able to capture some of the discussion by going back through the cached pages. I don't have the original post, but I have someone quoting it.

This is the guy who was fine with telling people base Goku was going to be in DBFZ despite people already hating on how many Gokus there were, so I don't really think he's being coy because the character in question will be hated.

I personally think he's just trying to give himself an out when the next revealed character isn't Simon or Isabelle. "Yep, Bandana Dee was totally who I was hinting at. I knew people would get mad if I said he was in." Etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I did not insult anyone. I have seen unsubstantiated rumors and opinions spread like wildfire over the last 17 years I have been a speculator. Particularly, lots of things pertaining to Roy and Fire Emblem. When I see something false and unsubstraniated , I now try to smother it because fake rumors and information can bring a lot of incorrect speculation and anguish. Hopefully you can see where I was coming from in this matter.
That doesn't give you any right to try and smother it. It will not be allowed. Further similar posts will be deleted/warned/infracted on sight depending what is most appropriate at the time.

I see where you're coming from. It still goes against the point of discussion here. You are allowed to bring up points, but you are not allowed to try and control the conversation either. You are not a Moderator who can be allowed to put a kibosh on a conversation. You're a regular user who has a right to an opinion, and to post it as long as it doesn't break other rules here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Vergeben seems like a real crummy person if I'm being honest. I'd LOVE for Simon to not be in at all just to see him wrong.
The guy is crummy, but why would that do anything but just make other fans of Simon less happy? It wouldn't do anything to him. He's already treated as not very credible due to his own behavior. It's basically a waste of time to hope for this.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Dunno if this was discussed before, but good news for my fellow Ness mains:

This is Ness vengeance for all the time Rosalina's players gimped his recovery with Down-B.

Does it look like the face of mercy?:4ness:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Vergeben claims to know of a third character aside from Simon and Isabelle who will be in Ultimate, and he believes this character will be "controversial".

Whether or not this character would actually come across as controversial to us (or if it's even in the game) remains to be seen.
Right now I'm banking on those Heihachi "leaks" that DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon brought up a few days ago.

Two "leaks" from apparently 2 separate people. Both claim they work at Nintendo, one of whom clarified they work at Nintendo of America, and both were sent to work on setting up SSBU for EVO. It's explicitly stated to be an updated build. Each seems to have different motivations; the first is just reporting what they know, the other seems to not care if they lose their job if it means letting people know ahead of time.

Both "leaks" note that there will be a character swap out, with some characters and stages removed from the demo and others added in their place (Snake, Bayonetta and Ridley are some of the removals and among the added fighters are Yoshi, Toon Link and Wolf, along with Heihachi). Both give largely identical information but in a mostly different order, but only one details all the stages (both note that "Final Destination" is being swapped from Omega Battlefield to Omega Suzaku Castle). Also one claims that items will be togglable to on & off in this build, the other merely states the menu layout has changed. Heihachi's stage will be "Dragon's Nest" from the Tekken series, and according to one of the "leakers" it seems to be a cross between that stage's design in Tekken 5 & Tekken 7.

I currently believe these "leaks" because they seem to not share writing styles and noteworthy is that they don't have all the same information, but neither contradicts each other either.

The only way his inclusion would be "controversial" would be if Sakurai only included young Heihachi instead of old Heihachi (or preferably both), or with people who just don't like Tekken.

Guess we'll see in a couple days.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
When I see something false and unsubstaniated , I now try to smother it because fake rumors and information can bring a lot of incorrect speculation and anguish.
I've spent four years telling people the ESRB leaker was not sued by Nintendo. He wasn't even fired; technically he wasn't even an employee in the first place. But it's every single day I still see people stating both these points like a verified fact.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, so I've gotten a chance to skim through the pages since I was last on here, and it seems like people are taking the "controversial character" thing to heart. Let me just point out that the term "controversial" is subjective and differs from person to person. What Verge sees as controversial might make perfect sense to someone else.

It's fine if you want to point out controversial characters for fun, but real or fake, I'd never recommend taking this too seriously. Even if I or someone else could provide a screencap, it's still just a rumor at the end of the day. For all we know, Verge might have used that word just so people would be more curious and invested with him.

Nobody took screencaps of everything he said in that thread because GameFAQs only lets you edit posts for an hour. Once the post is up, it's supposed to be permanent.

That being said, he never used the word controversial. That was other people interpreting his (intentionally vague) posts.

I was able to capture some of the discussion by going back through the cached pages. I don't have the original post, but I have someone quoting it.

This is the guy who was fine with telling people base Goku was going to be in DBFZ despite people already hating on how many Gokus there were, so I don't really think he's being coy because the character in question will be hated.

I personally think he's just trying to give himself an out when the next revealed character isn't Simon or Isabelle. "Yep, Bandana Dee was totally who I was hinting at. I knew people would get mad if I said he was in." Etc.
I remember that post, but that's not the quote I was referring to. The one I saw consisted of two or three sentences and wasn't nearly as defensive and aggressive as that one. It was more or less Verge rephrasing his initial post in the thread.

Been looking for it, but I haven't found anything. If you can find anything else, let us know so we can put this to rest.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Vergeben's stated reason is that he lacks verification and wants to get something more concrete before saying anything about the character. An exact quote from Reddit on the matter:

"At the moment, they all have corroborating Smash information. Only one has heard of another character that the others haven't, but that character is also one that they hear conflicting things about. That's why I haven't said anything about that character since there's no point to unless I hear it more definitively and from my other sources too. "

Whether one believes him or not is another matter, but yeah it has nothing to do with him wanting to avoid backlash for claiming a "controversial" character is in.

blazefan519

Smash Ace

I saw ZeRo talk about it when he was discussing Ness at E3. It feels reeaaaal nice to have some Smash kill moves that aren't F Smash :4pacman:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I swear if Smash Ultimate doesn't have Twilight of the Gods...not to mention Pride and Arrogance. Or What Lies at the End.

Actually you know what? Just port over the entire soundtrack. That's a totally realistic request, right?
I wouldn't even be mad. The opposite, really.

Twilight of the Gods
March of Deliverance
What Lies in the End
The Sacrifice and the Saint
Pride and Arrogance
The Ark of Dawn
Unity
Lord of a Dead Empire
The Scions' Dance in Purgatory
SoV's version of With Mila's Divine Protection
An instrumental remix of The Heritors of Arcadia

Just put the whole OST in. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A similar point can be brought up based upon what Cosmic77 said. Just because a leaker says "this is controversial" or "this'll please the fans" doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day, these are just their opinions and really not relevant or useful for discussion. Many characters/items/stages/trophies/etc. can be controversial or pleasing.

Though I will say Emily Rogers wasn't beyond wrong, imo. Ridley being playable was a very pleasing thing for quite a lot of people. But there's still those who would rather he was still a boss. And that's fine. To each their own, you know?

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Ok, so today's daily Moveset is one I wouldn't ever do normally, but I was asked to make it for a fan game. I hope you all mad at me but... it's Spongebob

Spongebob Moveset

The iconic sea-dwelling sponge himself, Spongebob is here to mix up the fight! Spongebob utilizes his various power ups and gadgets from his games to assist him in battle. He also makes use of the raw power of the Jellyfish to literally shock those who treat him as a mere joke. Spongebob's ready to prove he's the sickest sponge in the sea.

Spongebob's run speed is overall decently quick, falling slightly below average on the speed scale. His weight is also quite light as well, given his spongey nature. To make up for these weaknesses, the Sponge shines in two major areas. For one, his jump height is very high. This, along with his incredible recovery, allows Spongebob to easily slip past enemies to make a swift escape. Surprisingly, Spongebob also hits quite hard on a number of his attacks, making him a serious force to be reckoned with at times. Spongebob also has the ability to crawl along the ground by sliding on his back, as well as a wall jump.

One more unique attribute only Spongebob possesses is the ability to absorb all water-based attacks. So, for example, if Spongebob is hit with Mario's FLUDD attack, Spongebob will just absorb the attack and will heal some damage! The percent he heals will change depending on how powerful the water move is. This allows Spongebob to harness his true potential as a sponge while on the battlefield.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Net Swing- Spongebob swings his net in a quick 360 motion. Damage-wise, this attack is very minimal. However, using it in midair can help Spongebob slightly recover. The move will also fully retain Spongebob's momentum when used on the ground, allowing him to chain this move into combos with ease. Lastly, this move can also be used in direct conjunction with Spongebob's down Special to achieve some very beneficial effects. Overall, the move is very versatile despite its minimalistic appearance.

Side Special: Bubble Bowl- One of Spongebob's many power ups from 'Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom', this attack has Spongebob whip out a Bubbly Bowling Ball and get ready to aim. While charging the attack, Spongebob can move back and forth on the ground, although he can't actually turn around. Once he releases, the Bubble Ball will roll forward and strike through opponents. The Ball will have more power depending on how long Spongebob charges his aim. If the attack is aimed off the stage, gravity will take effect and cause it to fall down, making this move great to halt others' recoveries.

Up Special: Jellyfish Lift- This move will summon a giant Jellyfish that will quickly fly upwards with Spongebob on top. Spongebob can't move once the move starts, but it's vertical movement is a far enough distance that Spongebob should make it back to the stage relatively easily if he's close enough. The Jellyfish's electricity also allows Spongebob to be completely invulnerable while the move is active, which will cause electric damage to opponents who touch the Jellyfish's tentacles.

Down Special: Catch and Release- This move has some direct compatibility with Spongebob's neutral Special. This attack will send out a small Jellyfish that will act on its own volition once sent out. The Jellyfish will periodically fly about and sting opponents, but be careful, as the Jellyfish can hurt Spongebob, too. Spongebob can send out three Jellyfish in total at once, with each Jellyfish staying around for 10 seconds. Spongebob is able to use his neutral Special to catch the Jellyfish, able to catch a total of ten Jellyfish in total. If Spongebob is able to catch a total of ten Jellyfish while still staying alive, he can then release the elusive King Jellyfish by using the attack again. The King Jellyfish is much larger and FAR stronger than the normal Jellyfish, causing roughly 5x as much damage as the normal variant. The King Jellyfish will also stay around for 15 seconds as opposed to the normal 10. However, be very wary, as the King can still attack Spongebob, making this a high-risk, high-reward move if used at its full potential.

Normals:

Jab: Spongebob rapidly slaps the opponent repeatedly with his noodle-like arms, all the while doing his famous, annoying laugh.

F-Tilt: Spongebob takes out his pack of Bubbles from the Movie and blows some at the opponent. Each bubble does minimal damage, but stacks up with the sheer amount of them.

U-Tilt: Spongebob rises up in the air while wearing his Bubble Helmet from 'Battle for Bikini Bottom'. The attack goes a good distance in the air, with the horns being the most powerful.

D-Tilt: Spongebob faces the foreground and crouches down with both arms outstretched on either side, dealing damage.

Dash Attack: The green seahorse from the earlier Spongebob episodes appears, allowing Spongebob to stampede opponents.

Smashes:

F-Smash: While the attack is charging, Spongebob takes out his bubbles and begins to blow them in the shape of Bubble Buddy. Once he releases the attack, Bubble Buddy will fully materialize before giving a hearty punch to the opponent. After the attack, he will dissolve.

U-Smash: Spongebob's Krusty Krab hat on his head grows to an enormous size before headbutting the opponent with it. The attack's sweet spot is the very top of the hat.

D-Smash: The giant Hook from an earlier Spongebob episode drops all the way down from the top of the screen to hit the opponent. The sweet spot is the Hook's razor sharp tip, which deals some MASSIVE damage if hit just right.

Aerials:

N-Air: Spongebob does a 360 spin in midair with his arms outstretched, dealing some damage.

F-Air: Spongebob swipes downward with his trusty spatula. Although a very slow attack, it can spike opponents.

U-Air: Spongebob takes his spatula and tosses a Krabby Patty quickly up in the air. The projectile does very minimal damage but it can be spammed.

D-Air: The Soap Shoes attack from 'Battle for Bikini Bottom'. Spongebob plummets to the ground while leaving a trail of suds above him. Any opponents hit by him will be meteor smashed, but Spongebob can't cancel the attack unless he's hit. This makes the move very risky, but very rewarding, to use.

B-Air: Spongebob sharply kicks behind him, dealing minor damage.

Grab/Pummel: Similarly to Villager's grab, Spongebob grabs opponents using his Jellyfish net. Once foes are ensnared, a small Jellyfish comes out to assist Spongebob by repeatedly zapping the opponent until the attack is over.

Throws: Forward throw has the Sponge sling opponent away while in his net. Back throw has Spongebob back into opponent with his rear to knock them away. Up throw sees the Jellyfish knock the opponent upward with its top. Down throw has Spongebob do a funky dance on top of enemy, damaging them.

Final Smash: Goofy Goober Rock- Spongebob lunges to the center of the stage in midair where strings drop down to hold him in place. Spongebob is wearing his wizard costume from the end of the Spongebob Movie, and he then goes through his solo while playing an electric guitar. All the while, lasers shoot out of the guitar and hit opponents on the screen. Once the solo is over, Spongebob drops back to the ground and returns to his normal appearance.

Taunts: Up Taunt has Spongebob dance around in circles while excitedly yelling "I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!". Side Taunt has Spongebob take out the elusive Magic Conch Shell, which will say one of several different lines. Down Taunt has Spongebob play his nose like a flute like at the end of the show's theme song.

Alts: Spongebob only has color swaps to choose from, with his default appearance being the iconic look with the Krusty Krab hat. The colors are based off of other characters from the show, with examples including; Brown for his Grandparents, Pink for Patrick, Green for Plankton, Red for Mr. Krabs, and several others.

Stage: Bikini Bottom- A traveling stage that has players play on various iconic locations from the show. These include the Krusty Krab, Spongebob's 'neighborhood', Goo Lagoon, and a few others. Unlike other transformation stages, however, players are transported via a bus instead of a generic platform.

Boxing Ring title: "All's Square in Love and War"

Regardless, let me know what you think. Tomorrow's will be another request from the same guy and then I should be back on schedule, it's still fun anyway though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A similar point can be brought up based upon what Cosmic77 said. Just because a leaker says "this is controversial" or "this'll please the fans" doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day, these are just their opinions and really not relevant or useful for discussion. Many characters/items/stages/trophies/etc. can be controversial or pleasing.

Though I will say Emily Rogers wasn't beyond wrong, imo. Ridley being playable was a very pleasing thing for quite a lot of people. But there's still those who would rather he was still a boss. And that's fine. To each their own, you know?
Emily's exact words were that it was the "Ultimate roster."

She was objectively correct. :p

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Don't get too excited yet, we have no idea how heavy Ridley actually is, he could be like Mewtwo and Rosalina for all we know. I personally expect he is going to be a bit lighter than expected, because of his thinness and air affinity, as well as the fact he seems to be designed to be more of a glass cannon.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ok, so today's daily Moveset is one I wouldn't ever do normally, but I was asked to make it for a fan game. I hope you all mad at me but... it's Spongebob

[spolier]Spongebob Moveset

The iconic sea-dwelling sponge himself, Spongebob is here to mix up the fight! Spongebob utilizes his various power ups and gadgets from his games to assist him in battle. He also makes use of the raw power of the Jellyfish to literally shock those who treat him as a mere joke. Spongebob's ready to prove he's the sickest sponge in the sea.

Spongebob's run speed is overall decently quick, falling slightly below average on the speed scale. His weight is also quite light as well, given his spongey nature. To make up for these weaknesses, the Sponge shines in two major areas. For one, his jump height is very high. This, along with his incredible recovery, allows Spongebob to easily slip past enemies to make a swift escape. Surprisingly, Spongebob also hits quite hard on a number of his attacks, making him a serious force to be reckoned with at times. Spongebob also has the ability to crawl along the ground by sliding on his back, as well as a wall jump.

One more unique attribute only Spongebob possesses is the ability to absorb all water-based attacks. So, for example, if Spongebob is hit with Mario's FLUDD attack, Spongebob will just absorb the attack and will heal some damage! The percent he heals will change depending on how powerful the water move is. This allows Spongebob to harness his true potential as a sponge while on the battlefield.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Net Swing- Spongebob swings his net in a quick 360 motion. Damage-wise, this attack is very minimal. However, using it in midair can help Spongebob slightly recover. The move will also fully retain Spongebob's momentum when used on the ground, allowing him to chain this move into combos with ease. Lastly, this move can also be used in direct conjunction with Spongebob's down Special to achieve some very beneficial effects. Overall, the move is very versatile despite its minimalistic appearance.

Side Special: Bubble Bowl- One of Spongebob's many power ups from 'Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom', this attack has Spongebob whip out a Bubbly Bowling Ball and get ready to aim. While charging the attack, Spongebob can move back and forth on the ground, although he can't actually turn around. Once he releases, the Bubble Ball will roll forward and strike through opponents. The Ball will have more power depending on how long Spongebob charges his aim. If the attack is aimed off the stage, gravity will take effect and cause it to fall down, making this move great to halt others' recoveries.

Up Special: Jellyfish Lift- This move will summon a giant Jellyfish that will quickly fly upwards with Spongebob on top. Spongebob can't move once the move starts, but it's vertical movement is a far enough distance that Spongebob should make it back to the stage relatively easily if he's close enough. The Jellyfish's electricity also allows Spongebob to be completely invulnerable while the move is active, which will cause electric damage to opponents who touch the Jellyfish's tentacles.

Down Special: Catch and Release- This move has some direct compatibility with Spongebob's neutral Special. This attack will send out a small Jellyfish that will act on its own volition once sent out. The Jellyfish will periodically fly about and sting opponents, but be careful, as the Jellyfish can hurt Spongebob, too. Spongebob can send out three Jellyfish in total at once, with each Jellyfish staying around for 10 seconds. Spongebob is able to use his neutral Special to catch the Jellyfish, able to catch a total of ten Jellyfish in total. If Spongebob is able to catch a total of ten Jellyfish while still staying alive, he can then release the elusive King Jellyfish by using the attack again. The King Jellyfish is much larger and FAR stronger than the normal Jellyfish, causing roughly 5x as much damage as the normal variant. The King Jellyfish will also stay around for 15 seconds as opposed to the normal 10. However, be very wary, as the King can still attack Spongebob, making this a high-risk, high-reward move if used at its full potential.

Normals:

Jab: Spongebob rapidly slaps the opponent repeatedly with his noodle-like arms, all the while doing his famous, annoying laugh.

F-Tilt: Spongebob takes out his pack of Bubbles from the Movie and blows some at the opponent. Each bubble does minimal damage, but stacks up with the sheer amount of them.

U-Tilt: Spongebob rises up in the air while wearing his Bubble Helmet from 'Battle for Bikini Bottom'. The attack goes a good distance in the air, with the horns being the most powerful.

D-Tilt: Spongebob faces the foreground and crouches down with both arms outstretched on either side, dealing damage.

Dash Attack: The green seahorse from the earlier Spongebob episodes appears, allowing Spongebob to stampede opponents.

Smashes:

F-Smash: While the attack is charging, Spongebob takes out his bubbles and begins to blow them in the shape of Bubble Buddy. Once he releases the attack, Bubble Buddy will fully materialize before giving a hearty punch to the opponent. After the attack, he will dissolve.

U-Smash: Spongebob's Krusty Krab hat on his head grows to an enormous size before headbutting the opponent with it. The attack's sweet spot is the very top of the hat.

D-Smash: The giant Hook from an earlier Spongebob episode drops all the way down from the top of the screen to hit the opponent. The sweet spot is the Hook's razor sharp tip, which deals some MASSIVE damage if hit just right.

Aerials:

N-Air: Spongebob does a 360 spin in midair with his arms outstretched, dealing some damage.

F-Air: Spongebob swipes downward with his trusty spatula. Although a very slow attack, it can spike opponents.

U-Air: Spongebob takes his spatula and tosses a Krabby Patty quickly up in the air. The projectile does very minimal damage but it can be spammed.

D-Air: The Soap Shoes attack from 'Battle for Bikini Bottom'. Spongebob plummets to the ground while leaving a trail of suds above him. Any opponents hit by him will be meteor smashed, but Spongebob can't cancel the attack unless he's hit. This makes the move very risky, but very rewarding, to use.

B-Air: Spongebob sharply kicks behind him, dealing minor damage.

Grab/Pummel: Similarly to Villager's grab, Spongebob grabs opponents using his Jellyfish net. Once foes are ensnared, a small Jellyfish comes out to assist Spongebob by repeatedly zapping the opponent until the attack is over.

Throws: Forward throw has the Sponge sling opponent away while in his net. Back throw has Spongebob back into opponent with his rear to knock them away. Up throw sees the Jellyfish knock the opponent upward with its top. Down throw has Spongebob do a funky dance on top of enemy, damaging them.

Final Smash: Goofy Goober Rock- Spongebob lunges to the center of the stage in midair where strings drop down to hold him in place. Spongebob is wearing his wizard costume from the end of the Spongebob Movie, and he then goes through his solo while playing an electric guitar. All the while, lasers shoot out of the guitar and hit opponents on the screen. Once the solo is over, Spongebob drops back to the ground and returns to his normal appearance.

Taunts: Up Taunt has Spongebob dance around in circles while excitedly yelling "I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!". Side Taunt has Spongebob take out the elusive Magic Conch Shell, which will say one of several different lines. Down Taunt has Spongebob play his nose like a flute like at the end of the show's theme song.

Alts: Spongebob only has color swaps to choose from, with his default appearance being the iconic look with the Krusty Krab hat. The colors are based off of other characters from the show, with examples including; Brown for his Grandparents, Pink for Patrick, Green for Plankton, Red for Mr. Krabs, and several others.

Stage: Bikini Bottom- A traveling stage that has players play on various iconic locations from the show. These include the Krusty Krab, Spongebob's 'neighborhood', Goo Lagoon, and a few others. Unlike other transformation stages, however, players are transported via a bus instead of a generic platform.

Boxing Ring title: "All's Square in Love and War"[/spoiler]

Regardless, let me know what you think. Tomorrow's will be another request from the same guy and then I should be back on schedule, it's still fun anyway though.
Man, this took me back to my childhood. Battle for Bikini Bottom and the SpongeBob Movie game are hidden gems.

SpongeBob will never get in Smash, but I'd main the heck out of him if this was his moveset.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic
Capcom has Ryu and Mega Man
Namco has Pac-Man and reportedly Heihatchi
Konami has Snake and reportedly Simon Belmont

So... who will join Cloud? Geno? Terra? Black Mage? Slime? Anges? Olberic?

D

Deleted member

Whew, things got a bit heated back there.

Wow, that up smash seems to have better kill power and range.

Also I heard Pit is potentially going to be top tier, because he was massively buffed from Smash 4 despite the nerf to rolling in which Pit had one of the best rolls.
Don't get too excited yet, we have no idea how heavy Ridley actually is, he could be like Mewtwo and Rosalina for all we know. I personally expect he is going to be a bit lighter than expected, because of his thinness and air affinity, as well as the fact he seems to be designed to be more of a glass cannon.
Ridley will not likely be heavier than Bowser, but I can see Ridley as a heavy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As a veteran member of the speculation community, I feel obligated to speak up when I see unsubstantiated stuff.

A prominent example of this that lead to a lot of tears in the end was people mis-remembering Sakurai's reasoning regarding the inclusion of Zero Suit Samus. One fan who supported a prospective female newcomer in Brawl said the reason that he included her was because he wanted to include more female fighters in Smash Bros. Naturally, many supporters of prospective female fighters ran with this and never bothered to check the original source materials regarding what Sakurai actually said (He said he added her because the popular Metroid series needed another character, and that it was also good to add another female fighter to the game). In the end, Zero Suit Samus was the only female newcomer added to Brawl, and it led to a lot of mental anguish and bitterness among these female newcomer userbases because they had convinced themselves that Sakurai was going to give preference to their character of choice due to their gender based on an incorrect rememberance of Sakurai's statements. Ike vs. Lyn, Toon Link vs. Midna, Wolf vs. Krystal. In all of these many believed the female counterpart was more likely due to people not re-looking at what was actually said.

Many people were angry at Sakurai when the Brawl roster dropped because they felt he LIED to them about wanting to include more female newcomers, when Sakurai never said such a thing.

That is why I am grateful to websites such as OneSource Gaming. Although I have not part in it, it provides a resource to most things Sakurai has ever said. And people can read the primary sources with their own eyes, instead of relying on a game of telephone (the game of telephone is where someone tells something in someone's ear and then passes it on to the next person. Usually by the end of the game, the message that the final person hears is different from what the original person had said).

Misinformation and misinterpretation are among the two biggest banes of proper Smash speculation. At this point, Vergeben is the only "leaker" that has some level of credibility to his own "information" for this round. For this reason, we have to tread carefully, however, even then we have to take what he has to say with a grain of salt. His track record has only been 50/50, and even the Gematsu leak which got nearly every character on it right, but still in the end had outdated information on it due to game development, Smash in particular, possessing many twists and turns.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I actually figured that might have been a hint at the game's subtitle as she did the same with Let's Go, and I curse myself for not posting it on here lol.

As far as her saying she thinks the fanbase will be happy, I trust that she knows what's popular, she's been around the Nintendo fanbase for years at this point and is literally the admin of a community site with a significant Nintendo presence, so I have no doubts in that regard. Question is whether the rest of the newcomers can keep up with what we've gotten so far, I think even what we have just now is enough to say that the Smash fanbase will love the roster.

cothero

Smash Lord
[QUOTE
Sega has Bayo and Sonic

So... who will join Cloud? Geno? Terra? Black Mage? Slime? Anges? Olberic?[/QUOTE]

Pink Gold Cloud.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Because it'd please people.

...Still, interesting wording no less, heh. XD

Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic

Honestly? Probably Geno. Slime is another decent option, but not nearly as popular or requested. Though I could see 3, but that's because Geno isn't his own franchise but still a Mario character. I wouldn't be surprised if we only have Cloud among the various FF games. Nobody stands out nearly as much, and the most important Black Mage people recognize is from FFIX. Though his 8-Bit Theater version also has a ton of popularity, but he was actually given characterization, so that's not too surprising.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic

2B would be neat, but she'd need to be censored first.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic

Neku, if I had my way. Ramza as a close second.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic

Lara Croft. :p

In all seriousness though, I have no idea. Compared to Bamco choices, it's a complete toss-up for Squeenix.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Let's see...

Sega has Bayo and Sonic

Neku. Let a man dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom