• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Reminder: if you're going to San Diego Comic Con this week (I am!), you should be able to play Smash Bros. with no issues. Lines are not bad whatsoever, from past experiences. Most people aren't there for gaming demos. Nintendo should be announcing their SDCC plans either tomorrow or Tuesday so stay tuned.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
About the Ridley trailer, actually, most of the characters wouldn’t be able to deal with something so quick and instantly lethal, since they aren’t used to that in their games as that’s bad game design (aside from in games where cheap shots are the expected norm and so it’s not as bad, like I Wanna be the Guy, but still.) In the case of Mario and Mega Man, usually they intentionally walk into where their bosses are, rather than their bosses coming to them.

Characters from some RPGs would at least be alerted to his presence before getting hit, though, so certain techniques with extremely high priority could be used (I.e. a Pokémon using Protect.)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Reminder: if you're going to San Diego Comic Con this week (I am!), you should be able to play Smash Bros. with no issues. Lines are not bad whatsoever, from past experiences. Most people arent there for gaming demos. Nintendo should be announcing their SDCC plans either tomorrow or Tuesday so stay tuned.
Eh, still not expecting anything about a character reveal, to be honest.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Have you played Mario Odyssey? Mario can definitely hold his own against dragons.
Mario only won against the Ruined Dragon due to the fact that the dragon is a fool and got stuck in the “boss continues to do the one attack that makes them vulnerable” trope.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, on the topic of this tournament. Obviously, a character reveal is very unlikely.

However, I would like to remind you all that Shulk was revealed in a Japanese-only Direct, and Pac-Man was revealed during an event that wasn't even broadcasted to the public. Smash reveals can happen at any time, really.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm excited for the stream, not for a reveal, but at least for competitive gameplay with no items not recorded on a camera.

Roberk

Smash Champion
DLC for SSE2 actually sounds very plausible. A lot of major Switch games have been getting Story DLC like BOTW. Splatoon 2 shows that a competitive multiplayer game can get a story expansion with the Octo Expansion. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting an entirely new game as Season Pass DLC with Torna the Golden Country, showing that first party DLC can be massive/on the scale of an entire campaign.

It's not exactly logical to say what these games do will affect what Smash can do, but story DLC for Smash seems more possible and likely with the current trend of big first-party games.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm gonna stay up to watch a bit of the stream tonight, I'm excited. (It's at 10PM EST, and I have work tomorrow, but **** it Ultimate gameplay is always nice)

Roberk

Smash Champion
Also, on the topic of this tournament. Obviously, a character reveal is very unlikely.

However, I would like to remind you all that Shulk was revealed in a Japanese-only Direct, and Pac-Man was revealed during an event that wasn't even broadcasted to the public. Smash reveals can happen at any time, really.
Meh, it was still a Direct and it made sense because Shulk was a very Japanese appealing at that time.

Pac-Man's reveal was at E3, even though it wasn't public. These reveals that are "exceptions" were still from places that are many steps above just some tournament.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
At the smash demos, where you able to choose different modes before you played?

The one thing from Smash Bros Crusade I want for this game is the king of the hill mode, from what I saw it was such a good solution to make stages like Palutena's temple more fun to play

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sorta wish the stream could present an opportunity to have a different set of characters for the demo - quite bored with this much of a wait.

I dunno why, but I'm really dyin' to see some Young Link and Pichu gameplay. I want to see more characters than what we had in the E3 demo, but it ain't happenin' any time soon.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
If there is a character reveal at the tournament (which I'm assuming there won't be), I'd imagine it would be for a character that is requested more in Japan than anywhere else.

Like (I think) Shulk was.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If there is a character reveal at the tournament (which I'm assuming there won't be), I'd imagine it would be for a character that is requested more in Japan than anywhere else.

Like (I think) Shulk was.
A character that's more popular in Japan?

180px-Ashley_Model_SSB4.png

I wonder who could fit that bill...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm gonna stay up to watch a bit of the stream tonight, I'm excited. (It's at 10PM EST, and I have work tomorrow, but **** it Ultimate gameplay is always nice)
Basically what I’m excited for.

I need more Ultimate gameplay. Although I wish they swapped some characters with those that weren’t playable in the original demo.

Luminario

Smash Lord
About the Ridley trailer, actually, most of the characters wouldn’t be able to deal with something so quick and instantly lethal, since they aren’t used to that in their games as that’s bad game design (aside from in games where cheap shots are the expected norm and so it’s not as bad, like I Wanna be the Guy, but still.) In the case of Mario and Mega Man, usually they intentionally walk into where their bosses are, rather than their bosses coming to them.

Characters from some RPGs would at least be alerted to his presence before getting hit, though, so certain techniques with extremely high priority could be used (I.e. a Pokémon using Protect.)
I wonder, who could sense that vicious ******* coming for them? Mewtwo, Lucario, Rosi, Palutena and Pit (thanks to Palu's telepathy) have some heightened/magical sense that could probably see him coming, along with Shulk's future vision. Maybe Bayo too? Not many Ninty characters have to deal with such stealthy brutality.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone knows when nintendo decided to start making the nes and snes mini and how well did they sell (or are being sold)?
Could the mini consoles have any impact in the newcomers that smash could get?
Not that much, I'd think. The thing started being sold in 2016.

Unless they randomly decided to include Miyu and Fay from Star Fox 2.

Wario could've just farted, and Ridley would be so disgusted he would just turn back.
I'm being realistic here. Oh yeah, Totally.
Not even that, he'd take the hit like a man. Then try to punch Ridley while he's grabbed, with little effect.

Almost nothing, you take a quick nap and suddenly is already december 7.
Not everyone is like the Yellow Toad though.

The ones he didn't make...
Specifically, I'm pretty sure it's only Shinya Kumazaki who pushes the Soul gimmick heavily.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I actually liked the great maze...

Sure, SSE could have been better, but it was great for what it was. It pains me a bit to see people complaining about ‘wasted’ dev time though. We like to think about Smash as a competitive game, but a lot of people don’t have friends they can summon at a moment’s notice, or the stabile internet connection (or funds) to play online constantly. Smash needs some single-player modes - I stopped playing Sm4sh WiiU before Bayo released since there was nothing to do.

I don’t need a whole SSE, but something is necessary. And I’d love randomness or branching paths since we’re gonna play it over 65 times.
You don't need to be a competitive player to enjoy the additional characters, content, and potentially other improved single-player modes that the gained developmental resources allow, the huge outcry for Mewtwo's cut in Brawl wasn't from competitive players and it was certainly casual players who mourned the loss of Roy more. Also the lack of SSE doesn't mean the single-player experience is going to be bad, I have more fun with Melee's than I did with Brawl's overall, with the only thing I actively played a lot in Brawl being Boss Battles. But regardless Smash is a primarily multiplayer game, it is a very small minority of players who are playing it primarily for single-player, and for those players actual single-player games exist that offers a much better gaming experience than the SSE does.

Smash 4's content also suffered a lot as is with having to make two versions of the game on the Wii U and 3DS simultaneously, if you threw a SSE2 on top of it the roster and other content of the game would have been absolutely gutted or we would have been waiting a ridiculously long time for the game to come out.

Now that is not to say single-player modes are pointless, like I said I really enjoyed Melee's single-player experience and I loved Boss Battles in Brawl, and they can offer another avenue of competition for players, whether it be competing against others or just yourself, while Smash 4's left a lot to be desired. But the meat of the game is ultimately the multi-player, the single-player stuff is a sideshow that is going to get a ton less playtime by the vast majority and so trying to make the single-player into its own game is going to be a detriment on the overall product.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I find it interesting that the stream starts roughly around the time blog updates usually happen.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Finally got a good amount of "leaks" for a session. Spoilers: There is bonus "leak."
Yup a nintendo direct on july 26th

3DS:
>Luigi's Mansion gets a small trailer revealing amiibo functionality and that the hidden mansion is more difficult (it is the pal version from the gamecube) and is releasing on September 7th

>The Legend of Zelda: A New Origin is next and is a full 3D remake of the original zelda game from the nes. The top screen displays the game with a style similar to oot and mm 3d while the bottom screen acting as a hud and map displays the original 8 bit game. It releases on November 2nd

>Mario & Luigi: BIS + BJJ gets more details and a release of January 18th

Switch:
>Kirby Star Allies next dream friends get talked about and releases the next day, July 27th

>Mother 3 is coming and is just the original game in english, now known as Earthbound Aftermath. No direct release date yet but a tentative one for 2018

>Fortnite is getting some exclusive nintendo themed gear on the switch version and is announced that the main save the world mode is coming later

>Yoshi's Double-sided Story is next with more details and amiibo functionality, coming February

>Super Mario Odyssey kingdom DLC gets revealed. Two new kingdoms, being the Sunshine Kingdom (based on Isle delfino) and the Hylian Kingdom (based on Hyrule). Releasing in October

>Spyro Trilogy is announced and will have amiibo support

>MK8 DX gets DLC. I don't have many details on this at the moment but will report back if I get more

>Finally, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is here to end with some more details on modes and some major reveals

Another direct "leak". This one doesn't even talk about Smash Bros. characters, but it's worth putting in here anyways. This is bonus "leak" by the way.
alright mother****ers here we go

in mid to late august there’ll be a direct (date undecided lol)

it’ll start with spyro reignited coming to switch (a spyro amiibo too)

then some talk of ****ty games i couldn’t care to remember

then hat in time (finally)

another look at fire emblem (lookin kinda like advance wars)

more mario + rabbids dlc (based on wario land i think)

pretty nice sizzle reel showing mega man 11, undertale, steins gate elite and some other games we already knew about

then some minecraft ****

mario kart 8 dlc featuring kirby

and FINALLY a smash trailer that shows off a certain king everyone’s been waiting for

(keep in mind i saw an early version. stuff’s bound to change)

Another direct "leak". And again, this one doesn't say much about Smash besides hinting at K. Rool. Interesting that they mention an "early version" of the direct. What do you guys think goes into making a direct?
> There will be a direct on July 27
> There will be no headlines or 3DS games, it will be about the stuff missing from E3
> It will start right of with a Pikmin 4 gameplay trailer, after that, Miyamoto will be talking about the games development, he will ten announce the Pikmin Trilogy. Both games are set to release Early 2019
> Next is New Super Mario Bros.3, the characters are planned to be, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Blue Toad, and Wario. They are still working on 2 more characters wich might be Waluigi and Rosalina. Peach will be kidnapped again so she won't be playable. New Super Luigi.2 is also pallned to release too. NSMB.3 will releases October 26th 2018 and NSL.2 will release Holiday
> Next is a NEW Mario Maker, it will have way more stuff and what will happen is, if your at home, you build on the switch not on the tv with your joycons, then you put it on the tv and finish off the level. If your on the go, you do the same thing except you keep on going to finish the level. It will releases Holiday.
> Wave 2 for Kirby: Star Allies will release July 27
> Yoshi game, Yoshi's Flipping Adventure, March 2019, LABO SUPPORT.
> New LABO pack, LABO VR, holiday 2018
> Dark souls Remastered, releasing August 24
> Shin Megami Tensie 5, 2019
> Mario Kart 9 trailer, planned for 2019
> Mario Kart 8 DX DLC, October
> Diablo 3, 2019
> Final Fantasy 15, holiday
> Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival 2, holiday 2018
> SNES Remix, 2019
> Nintendo Land 2, holiday
> Tomodachi World, 2019
> Bayonetta 3 gameplay trailer, early 2019
> Mario 64 switch, 2019
> Xenoblade Chronicles X, 2019
> Donkey Kong Country Origins, 2019
> Smash Bros. Ultimate announcement, Story Mode trailer and then King K Rool and Dixie Kong trailer.

Near rehash of another direct "leak", but was different enough for me to include it. My wallet is screaming at the thought of things like Nintendo Land 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Mario 64 Switch all coming to Switch though.
Hello, I have a close friend who works in a translating team here in Nintendo of America. He and a couple others are in charge with translating the Snake codecs and Palutena's Guidances. Upon their work as translators they have found data for 10 fighters. My friend gave me the info and here are the character's:
{Simon Belmont}
{Dixie Kong}
{King K. Rool}
{Ashley}
{Amaturasu}
{Ninten}
{Chrono}
{Isaac}

{Impa}*
{Black Shadow}*

Interesting enough framing device, and Chrono is a new suggestion, but without any evidence I'm skeptical.
My room mate works in the graphics team for Smash Ultimate and he told me some characters arriving for the game.

>Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
>King K Rool (Donkey Kong)
>Ninten (Mother)
>Heihachi (Tekken)
>Ribbon Girl (Arms

He also said about a new storyline for the game (like subspace) that will come to the game, he told me about this because he worked on that part of the game. You guys may think this is bull**** but its more than true.

Another kind of interesting framing device, and another story mode would be nice.
Smash Ultimate leaks? Smash Ultimate leaks.

You know how Sakurai said your roster starts off as small as the original? Guess how you unlock the rest? Through a new story mode. It's a sequel to the subspace emissary. Through each mission you unlock one or more characters in the order of their appearances in Smash. Some characters, such as Doctor Mario, will not appear and you'll have to unlock them through completing certain challenges in the story mode. The big bads are Ridley, King K Rool, Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, Doctor Eggman, and the Octolings. If I had to compare this mode to anything else in all of literature, it'd be the infinity war of videogames.

Doesn't say much besides discussing a story mode.

I'm also making some changes to the Count that I'll be telling you guys about soon, so look forward to that.
A character that's more popular in Japan?

View attachment 153296

I wonder who could fit that bill...
Saber, Reimu, definitely Ashley, Clefairy/Clefable (jk on the last one)
I wonder, who could sense that vicious ******* coming for them? Mewtwo, Lucario, Rosi, Palutena and Pit (thanks to Palu's telepathy) have some heightened/magical sense that could probably see him coming, along with Shulk's future vision. Maybe Bayo too? Not many Ninty characters have to deal with such stealthy brutality.
Sheik, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Corrin and maybe Greninja too.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
How neat would it be if "Everyone is here!' extended to the scrapped Brawl characters?
Toon Zelda that transforms into Tetra would be a good way to keep the classic Zelda switching gameplay alive.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
My mind is telling me not to expect a reveal...

But my body...
MY BODY IS TELLING ME YES.
Reggie says your body is ready to take the reveal head on!

Your body is ready!

Idk why, but I for some reason I expect a reveal trailer in Japanese. Happened with Shulk for some reason.

*Ooo No! I’m getting hyped! NO! I cannot be disappointed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom