• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Absolutely nothing.
We're twiddling our thumbs until the stream where we will all inevitably waste an hour.
That's a rather negative outlook.

I'm going in not expecting anything but some gameplay of Ultimate, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting that. If anything else happens, then sweet.

I don't know how it'd be a waste.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

I'm going in not expecting anything but some gameplay of Ultimate, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting that. If anything else happens, then sweet.

That is at least right, it's not like Ultimate is out right now so any footage is good enough to speculate on.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ah, it was more of a joke than anything else.
I'm watching for the gameplay too, I just hope most of it isn't MTA.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Today's fighter on the blog is Pichu

Confirmed that attacks have more range and power at the cost of damage.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ah, it was more of a joke than anything else.
I'm watching for the gameplay too, I just hope most of it isn't MTA.
We'll see in an hour, I guess.
I'm excited.

I have hopes for it, but no expectations. I hope it's a different demo version, but I don't expect that... unfortunately.
But if anything this might be a great event for footage for people to analyze and over analyze. I hope that something comes out of it, if anything, but won't be disappointed if it just ends up being a bunch of matches in a row.

I hope it doesn't start with tennis aces, though...

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I hate Mii costumes, but I'd love the Frieza battle suits. Imagine the meme material, like Mii-Nappa.

In all honesty, despite how much some people hate the idea, I wouldn't mind if pre-DBZ Goku made it into Ultimate (NOT Kid Goku). His moveset could implement the Power Pole, and he could just use the Kamehameha for his final smash instead of going Super Saiyan. This way, you could use the version that everybody recognizes (just from a different time in the show), while still staying true to the character. Super Saiyan Goku would be too over-powered for Smash, and his form wouldn't fit in with the new final smashes (he'd basically be another Super Sonic).

Say "b-b-but he originated from ANIME" all you want. I personally can't stand anime characters (well, modern anime characters) the most here, but Goku just works and makes sense. He's not some stupid femboy like most male anime characters these days (although his Japanese VA is female). He's iconic, and aside from Dragon Ball, he represents a whole entire sub-genre of fighting games. Dragon Ball has also had titles on Nintendo consoles since the FAMICOM (he's even on the front side of the box of a special edition gold Famicom Mini releasing in Japan). Sure, it'd break the whole "only video game characters in Smash" thing, but since when has that been a strict rule? Sakurai has been known to change his mind, and let's not forget, James ****ing Bond was planned to be a character for Smash 64 (and possibly even Melee). Goku would fit in way better alongside characters like Mario and Cloud, and his inclusion wouldn't mean he'd open the gates for more anime characters (like people keep suggesting), he'd simply be a "single strike of lightning" deal, kinda like how people viewed Cloud when he was originally announced.

And last but not least, Sean Schemmel's beautiful voice in a Smash game. We could even get his King Kai voice for Snake Codec-style telepathy conversations.
Are you actually serious? Like... are you honestly serious right now? Goku isn't deserving of a spot on the roster. He may be this 'iconic anime character' but that doesn't make him worthy of being in Smash. Might as well throw any other big pop culture icon into smash then that's more deserving than Goku. Heck freaking batman and mickey mouse (which both had games on the NES mind you) are more known and certainly would leave a people with a similiar reaction to goku. Bond's exclusion is the exact reason why we can't have '4th parties' in smash. Popularity shouldn't even be a factor or else we might end up with spongebob and shrek if you're going purely on the ballot.

also kinda in defence of goku here but... a character being overpowered shouldn't ever be a factor in a crossover game where a planet buster like kirby can fight on the same level as peach and luigi

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also confirmed: No new announcement during the stream.
To be fair, on the days of big annoucements for pic of the day Sakurai would upload an extra. Don't see it happening here tho.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
...I...seem to have walked in at a bad time.

Maybe I can lighten things up a bit. My latest project is a deep dive into the Inklings' moveset to get a feel for how each attack will function as a part of their playstyle. It's actually really interesting how much they captured the feel of Splatoon in a completely different way that many of us expected.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Welp, is 3 am here and almost dead, i'm going to sleep, my bet is that it will be no new smash characters in this stream.
if i'm wrong please do me a favour and spam me so the first thing i see when i wake up is what character got it in smash.
gnight.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Oh my gosh they actually did it.

Pikachu is the balanced version while Pichu is actually a glass canon.

That was how Smash fans wanted a retooling of the character!

This is great!!!

:ultpichu::ultpichu::ultpichu:

marcuzoo

Smash Rookie
I wonder if Pichu will have Plusle and Minun alternate costumes to (possibly) reference the forbidden 7 file, but besides that what costumes could we have for pichu? Notch eared? Pikachu color? Pkmn Ranger?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's hard to see how Pichu can have more range from the attacks we've seen from him. Being smaller than an already small Pokemon kinda defeats the purpose of that, unless his attacks go REALLY far.

Still, making Pichu a glass cannon is perfect. I hope this means the little guy can actually be viable now.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
"Today's Fighter
#19: Pichu
Pichu is back after 17 years! Pichu's electric attacks have greater range and do more damage than its other attack types – but they also damage Pichu."

Here's the direct quote from the blog for those of you who care.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Are you actually serious? Like... are you honestly serious right now?
Jeez, no need to be an ass about it.

Of course "nobody is deserving of a spot on the roster", but if any person were to ever break the "rule" of "no non-game characters" in Smash, it would be Goku. The reason why it wouldn't be Mickey Mouse or Batman (great choices, by the way) is because neither of them represent a whole sub-genre of fighting games like Goku does. It's like you didn't even read what I said.

Smash, regardless of what Sakurai wants to call it, is a fighting game. Including Goku makes sense as he has a series of fighting games that have been on Nintendo consoles for years. Yes, Dragon Ball originated as a manga/TV show, but if anyone who originated from outside of video games would make it in, the likeliest candidate is Goku.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the extra range will only apply to the electric effects on his attacks. So his frwd smash goes further than Pikachu's for example. Question is, will he range increase be negated by his tiny-ness?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Oh my god I'm so excited for new Pichu with the new route they're taking him in.

...Assuming the quote doesn't mean "his electrical attacks are stronger and larger than his non-electric ones".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Stands to reason the same demo will be used up until release. Unless maybe they put a demo on the eShop, I could see that being more refined yet limited.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks!

But I can’t find the Shulk support thread from Smash 4!
Character support threads for those that did get in get repurposed as he subforum's general thread. Check there

Iridium

Smash Hero
...I...seem to have walked in at a bad time.

Maybe I can lighten things up a bit. My latest project is a deep dive into the Inklings' moveset to get a feel for how each attack will function as a part of their playstyle. It's actually really interesting how much they captured the feel of Splatoon in a completely different way that many of us expected.

Delzethin? The Delzethin? Good analyses on YouTube you have.

Anyway, 38 minutes now.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Sakurai has been known to change his mind, and let's not forget, James ****ing Bond was planned to be a character for Smash 64 (and possibly even Melee).
James Bond was never planned for Smash and that's blatant misinformation that got passed around, he was just briefly considered for Melee and was passed over because of the reliance on realistic firearms and the inevitable licensing nightmare to use him. From how Sakurai said it, it doesn't seem like he ever treated James Bond as a serious candidate for Smash and it was more just a passing thought.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is it me or did they not use the Charger for any of Inkling's moves?
It seems weird they'd forego one of the "pillars" of Splatoon combat.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
James Bond was never planned for Smash and that's blatant misinformation that got passed around, he was just briefly considered in Melee and was passed over because of the reliance on realistic firearms and the inevitable licensing nightmare. From how Sakurai said it, it doesn't seem like he treated James Bond as a serious candidate for Smash and it was more just a passing thought.
Although he still had time to implement the remote mine design from Goldeneye, despite having to classify its origins.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Remember fellas we only get reveals outside of Directs if Sakurai is present and/or he tells us to watch an upcoming stream (usually a Direct anyhow).

He's been quiet and updated the site. No new announcement from this. Enjoy more gameplay at least, though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Today's Memory on Pichu is basically that it first appeared in Pokemon Gold and Silver in 1999, and it's born from an egg received when you breed a Pikachu or a Raichu.

That's the gist of it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Pichu becomes a glass cannon now... excellent.

Looks like the days of being a joke character is finally over? We'll see. :4pacman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT-DmdaLH_Q

Also, (unrelated to the quote), here's a list of fighters available at the demo at Jump Victory Carnival

No new demo... that's a bummer. Seems like we gotta play the waiting game some more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom