• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash League - Registration Has Begun

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Atilla, Shaya, Chris, Tibs, in that order. There shouldn't be a champion until someone has beaten the League first.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Still not convinced about the idea.

Make it easier to get the badges.

In the anime they managed to get a 64-man tournament in the Pokemon League.

Want people to get involved and not have them give up after failing three challenges? Make the leaders start off disadvantaged.
well.. its a derived form of determination to get better/ developement, i think.

I LAG

Smash Lord
Please guys, try to cut down on the joking around... we're trying to get some proper feedback on the idea, and confirmation on the suggested gym leaders and elite 4. I'm assuming all of them that posted in this thread are interested so far? (if you are, send us a photo, so we can add to the front page lols)
but meteor can you image mk with hyper beam he will be like
PEW PEW! PEW PEW! i am thinking the hyper beam will look something like this

or

swordsaint

Smash Master
I'm still liking the idea of the champion being the first to rise above the gyms and elite four. After that, if the first to accomplish such a task was a gym leader or elite four, then someone take the spot of gym leader and the best performing gym leader rises to elite four.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
unreon: I think we mentioned before that a lot of the ideas aren't concrete yet. Also, being gym leaders, we are certainly restricted to one "type" or character, which would make the accomplishment somewhat easier in terms of picking a character appropriate to the challenge. We'll probably have other little details added to make these challenges much more winnable, although, giving ourselves a handicap can possibly make it too easy, and there wouldn't be enough satisfaction gained from winning under such circumstances imo.

Condog: We would have contemplated that specific order, but due to the fact that they are from different states, we feel it would be easier for the challenger if we were a little more flexible in the order so that say, a challenger from QLD wouldn't have to go down to VIC on like 5 different occasions, just to have certain matches. That just wouldn't be fair, really.

I LAG: Please just stop posting irrelevant things like that...

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
best out of 5 takes to much time.. it will draw away from tournament esspecially if theres alot of challenges.. also tiring for gym leader or w/e all of qld could challenge chris 15 5 stock matches later one person wins =P

best out of one is fine.. because sometimes my fissure hits

I LAG

Smash Lord
best out of 5 takes to much time.. it will draw away from tournament esspecially if theres alot of challenges.. also tiring for gym leader or w/e all of qld could challenge chris 15 5 stock matches later one person wins =P

best out of one is fine.. because sometimes my fissure hits
i think if should be like this. you get to challenge each gym leader 1/2/3 times per tourney/meet/etc but you only have to beat them once to get the badge. no best out of 3 or best out of 5 coz it will be to hard.

Afropony

Smash Lord
How about you make it a 3v3 thing kind of like crews where if you beat someone with 1 stock left you keep that stock for next round. I say 3v3 because then you can make it so that the person has a low tier, mid tier and high tier.

Also I think it's stupid giving the leaders/E4 disadvantaes. You don't want to make something so that everyone can get through this. Only the very best are supposed to be able to rise through the ranks and become the best.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
well the problem now is:

How many matches.

due to time contraints i think its best if its just 1 match of 1v1 because unless theres a tourney dedicated to this (which prolly wont happen) it will take too long if alot of ppl participate because lets say... someone host a tourney.. around 12 ppl go? 2 of which are a gym leader

so.. those 2 ppl have to play 10 ppl (so 10 matches each gym leader)
if we have it out of 3 or 5 (even crew style) say around... (30 and 50 matches respectively each gym leader)

and say each match was in the range of 4~7(max) minutes (7 min timer)

per gym leader.

1 match : 40~70 minutes [40 minutes ~ 1 hour and 10 minutes]

3 matches : 120 ~ 210 minutes [2 hours ~ 3 hours and 30 minutes] (takes 3x longer than 1 match)

5 matches : 200~ 350 minutes [3 hours and 20 minutes ~ 5 hours 50 minutes.] (takes 5x longer than 1 match)

Keep in mind that this takes up TWO tvs for this amount of time... (also keep in mind that there might be more gym leaders than two + the variations in the participation, as 10 was just a nice number to go with) so... overall

40*n. minutes will be dedicated to this (where n is the number of gym leaders and the number of participants is 10)

I LAG

Smash Lord
well the problem now is:

How many matches.

due to time contraints i think its best if its just 1 match of 1v1 because unless theres a tourney dedicated to this (which prolly wont happen) it will take too long if alot of ppl participate because lets say... someone host a tourney.. around 12 ppl go? 2 of which are a gym leader

so.. those 2 ppl have to play 10 ppl (so 20 matches)
if we have it out of 3 or 5 (even crew style) say around... (60 and 100 matches respectively)
yeh 1 match of 1v1 is good. i dont think everyone will challenge gym leaders. i cant really see low level players or melee players doing this when their chance is so slim.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Before you read this i just want you to know that i didnt have time to read all your posts and so if anyone has made this point already and its been answered then i just want to say i didnt mean to steal your thunder...:)

Firstly, this is an Awesome idea. However, it seems to be the over-riding concern of most average players (and i am one of these) that its gonna be impossible to get any badges at all and it seems to be the concern of most above average players that its gonna be too easy to get badges and there will be no incentive to improve. These are both valid points of view. My point here is that we can all have our cake and eat it too.
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Pokemon games have gym leaders which increase in difficulty/are higher levels as the game progresses? That is, shouldnt gym leaders in the smash lead also increase in difficulty? (note im not saying that the first gym leaders should be Really easy, but that the skills of leaders should be ascending). This way players can more accurately map their own skill levels as well as trying to achieve higher goals. Furthermore, other players can more accurately measure the abilities of an opponent by how many (and what) badges they have.
Lastly, is this ladders set out to glorify highly skilled players or is is it something else? I think that these players who are highly skilled and ranked should be rewarded, but not specifically through this league as it seems to conflict with some of its other purposes.

Just a few thoughts.....

PS Vote Jaz for Oak:p

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
hilarious and good idea,
imo people are taking it way too serious though
why so serious? =O lol

and stereo im pretty sure ur not going to get the badges in order anyways.. thats too much hassle =P

Edit: tho ur idea has made me think about it =o but it is still a hassle to find rock first and go from there.. unless theres multiples of rock gym leaders, etc. in differnt states and so on =P u catch my drift

I LAG

Smash Lord
Stereo i thought that they did increase in difficulty with hotdogs being first and ted being last.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I think that these matches should just run in the friendlies time. If you miss out, you miss out, get their and challenge earlier next time I say. What's the hard about letting these run in meets as well?

Tbh though, if time constraints weren't a problem, I really like the idea of 3 vs 3, low, mid and high tier, with it running in a similar fashion to crew only each "member" is a different character.

Toby.

Smash Master
I dont consider the Elite 4 invincible at all, Condog. There are many, many, many players who have the ability to defeat the various gym leaders and elite four. We already have systems in place to limit the leaders and Elite four, such as forcing them to use their mains (you won't see me surprising anyone with metaknight, thats for sure).

That alone gives you an edge.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
why so serious? =O lol serious in what way?

and stereo im pretty sure ur not going to get the badges in order anyways.. thats too much hassle =P

Edit: tho ur idea has made me think about it =o but it is still a hassle to find rock first and go from there.. unless theres multiples of rock gym leaders, etc. in differnt states and so on =P u catch my drift
Im not saying you have to get it in order at all, you could start with the best gym first and work down, it doesnt matter as long as your up for it. I agree with you that the whole physical distance thing is kind of a hassle, but thats a work in progress as toby and ricky said...

lag ive never played hotdog so i wouldnt know, but if you look at the list of possible gym leaders, luke, vyse, toby, ricky, ted, sd and so on are all relatively of equal high standard... so im not sure its really assending in any obvious fashion at all

@tim: I'm a serious guy, Seriously!:laugh:

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
I think that these matches should just run in the friendlies time. If you miss out, you miss out, get their and challenge earlier next time I say. What's the hard about letting these run in meets as well?

Tbh though, if time constraints weren't a problem, I really like the idea of 3 vs 3, low, mid and high tier, with it running in a similar fashion to crew only each "member" is a different character.
then the gym leaders would play more friendlies proportional to everyone else..?

swordsaint

Smash Master
The only advantage people do need is counter-picking. It's like type-matchups in Pokemon. You go into Hotdogs gym knowing he uses rock, you bring water.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
uh exactly
that's why you can cp a stage

thanks for... pointing out the obvious

talking about the challenger, of course

I LAG

Smash Lord
uh exactly
that's why you can cp a stage

thanks for... pointing out the obvious

talking about the challenger, of course
No. cp'ing stages will make it to easy. luke could get all the gym badges just by counter picking shadow moses and meteor could do the same with spear pillar.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
second post there was a typo, challengers cannot cp stages
you are all ********
l2read

Bjay

Smash Lord
Woahh I get back home and this idea is in the works.

Awesome! :D

Uhm, let's see...feedback and suggestions. Get back to you later on that one. (H)

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
I dont consider the Elite 4 invincible at all, Condog. There are many, many, many players who have the ability to defeat the various gym leaders and elite four. We already have systems in place to limit the leaders and Elite four, such as forcing them to use their mains (you won't see me surprising anyone with metaknight, thats for sure).

That alone gives you an edge.
That means no D3.....those badges and stuff r mine!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Oh well if they have to use the one character for all matches they play, that would be certainly even things out a bit XD

And i think many, many, many players is a tiny bit of an overstatement lol =P

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Soul Badge Gym Rules:

3 Stock
Best of 3
1st round: Kongo Jungle 64
2nd round: Jungle Japes
3rd round: Rumble Falls
Bananas set to High
Gym Leader can only use Diddy Kong
Winning 2/3 matches awards challenger with Soul Badge
No Johns
Challenge me anytime (tournament or otherwise)

I LAG

Smash Lord
kongo jungle is a kick *** stage. to bad its on smash bros 64.
vyse i'll take those rules as a joke

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
mm I think best out of 1 is too easy, the whole reason that people play best of 3's is to try and even out the results and make luck play as small a part as possible.

we still need a reliable challenging system though, obviously it's gay if the gym leader is allowed to decline matches, but at the same time like everyone said we cant have people queuing up and stalling tourney time.

also I think that having 3 set stages being different for each match like what vyse did is a really good idea.

toby is win.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Soul Badge Gym Rules:

3 Stock
Best of 3
1st round: Kongo Jungle 64
2nd round: Jungle Japes
3rd round: Rumble Falls
Bananas set to High
Gym Leader can only use Diddy Kong
Winning 2/3 matches awards challenger with Soul Badge
No Johns
Challenge me anytime (tournament or otherwise)
Those...are pretty good. The bananas is a nice touch, plus having the set levels is cool. A few things tho, would you have a time limit for each match, and i take it you would be using Diddy for every match?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
It's still going to take an Average player a long time to get badges, even if I'm the "easiest" outta all of them.
We aren't saying you are the easiest at all. The badge placement was simply done to fit characters. In your case, Kirby=stone... Boulderbadge?

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Gym Leaders should have to constantly shout what they're doing in game, as should challengers.

"I choose you, Sonic! Use Side-B fakeout! They'll never see it coming!"

Hmm, valid input wise... Only allow challenges during 'Friendly' time. Seems the obvious conclusion... Allow a limit on the amount of times a challenger can challenge during a tourny, like 3 at max; and to give the leader a minimum of 5 matches on their own before asking for a rematch...

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Wow you guys have taken the term 'nerd' to a whole new level <3

I'm Misty? I guess that's what I get for maining such a homo character huh?
As for nominations, I don't want to be a part of this so someone from Melbourne can take my place instead (way over Brawl now)

Afropony is a good nomination as he also mains Pit and is actually better than me so I strongly recommend choosing him instead....or CAO. I also choose Earl or Nicks, two very fine players and who will probably be more enthusiastic than I am.

I LAG, I don't know who you are but you're an idiot.

Top Bottom