• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash League - Registration Has Begun

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
its not suspose to be fair its pokemon and lol XP
gym leaders can make up their own rules i guess as long as there doable XD

99 stock match hammers only port town.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Here's what I would probably do if I was the gym leader for the Cascade badge

Cascade Badge Gym Rules:

3 Stock
Best of 3
1st round: SkyWorld
2nd round: Not sure at the moment...
3rd round: Lylat Cruise

Gym Leader can only use Pit
Winning 2/3 matches awards challenger with Cascade Badge
No Johns or else you can never verse me again and will not be able to obtain the Cascade Badge.
Ice climbers chaingrab can be done 5 times before you have to stop. No Dtilt locks against walls.
Challenge me 3 times per tournament (but don't challenge me straight after please).

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
IM MOTHER ****ING GARY OAK *****
YOU BETTA STEP THE **** DOWN

i'd re-appear in brawl just to get the badges **** yeh boi

Toby.

Smash Master
We're going to need to discuss the individual leader rules a fair amount before they are set in stone.

I knew that if a pit player was a leader he would make his home turf skyworld. It makes sense, but skyworld is also ******** and banned for a pretty good reason :p I don't want us to go giving ourselves crazy advantages that will effectively invalidate a large portion of the competition.

IMO balance is going to take some tweaking. We still need to find a way to stop people simply hard countering every leader who hasn't decided to use metaknight, snake or wario. Imagine if we had a DK leader and everyone just used D3 against him. Fail.

I LAG

Smash Lord
We're going to need to discuss the individual leader rules a fair amount before they are set in stone.

I knew that if a pit player was a leader he would make his home turf skyworld. It makes sense, but skyworld is also ******** and banned for a pretty good reason :p I don't want us to go giving ourselves crazy advantages that will effectively invalidate a large portion of the competition.

IMO balance is going to take some tweaking. We still need to find a way to stop people simply hard countering every leader who hasn't decided to use metaknight, snake or wario. Imagine if we had a DK leader and everyone just used D3 against him. Fail.
lol skyworld is one of my favourite stages. mks standing up-b wtf when the bottom floor is broken and the top isn't. you can get kills on like 40-60% and that's without chasing after them to gimp them. imo skyworld is terrible for pit. it's more of a mk, snake stage.

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman

. Imagine if we had a DK leader and everyone just used D3 against him. Fail.
Oh hai....

everyone including challengers have to use their mains

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Oh hai....

everyone including challengers have to use their mains
Actually that's one of our points still in debate. We may only let you use up to 3 of your mains through out the entire league, Pokemon Stadium-style. It should be enough for you all to cover 12 character matchups though.

Toby.

Smash Master
^That way whilst you can't counter EVERY player, you should have a least one character from your 3 with a good matchup in any given challenge.

And to clarify we mean you pick 3 characters at the start, before any challenges, and stick to those 3 throughout the entire Smash League duration.

I LAG

Smash Lord
Actually that's one of our points still in debate. We may only let you use up to 3 of your mains through out the entire league, Pokemon Stadium-style. It should be enough for you all to cover 12 character matchups though.
toby should only be able to use ivy coz using 3pokemon is kinda cheating.
letting people use 3 of their mains is stupid. they will all be like using
1. their main
2. mk
3. d3

but then 3 is not enough for some people like scott who uses like 8 different characters.

now that i think about it no cap is probably best. gym leaders should just pick stages to cover their bad match ups.

tedeth

Smash Master
I love this idea. Can't wait to get it started.

One of my major concerns with it, though, is that people will be running at you left right and centre trying to challenge you. Time does not permit such things at most tourneys.

Say if my, Toby and Ricky were all at one of my tourneys, with 30 other ppl wanting to challenge all of us, it would just be soooooooo time consuming.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I love this idea. Can't wait to get it started.

One of my major concerns with it, though, is that people will be running at you left right and centre trying to challenge you. Time does not permit such things at most tourneys.

Say if my, Toby and Ricky were all at one of my tourneys, with 30 other ppl wanting to challenge all of us, it would just be soooooooo time consuming.
There wouldn't be 30, and they only get one challenge per event. =)

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
and my examples was with 10 other ppl >.> way to mess my figures up =[

and lol @ DK reference.. i just thought of FTS when i saw that lol

hmm.. ands its only 1 per event? hmm.. i guess that ok

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Please guys, try to cut down on the joking around... we're trying to get some proper feedback on the idea, and confirmation on the suggested gym leaders and elite 4. I'm assuming all of them that posted in this thread are interested so far? (if you are, send us a photo, so we can add to the front page lols)
i feel the need to quote this again,
Ilag u've been warned once already

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i think ive decided to take the title of 'bruno' for the record. most melbournians will understand this decision :p

rules for playing against me:

random neutrals only
<50 ledge grabs per match
6:00m time limit (cause i hate campers)
first you must beat my lucas, then my oli, and then you are allowed to verse my snake.
matches vs snake are best out of 3
d3 + ic chaingrabs to 100% only
put pride away or ill snap it off

i think that about covers it

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
i think ive decided to take the title of 'bruno' for the record. most melbournians will understand this decision :p

random neutrals only
first you must beat my lucas, then my oli, and then you are allowed to verse my snake.

Since I've already beaten your Snake once on a neutral stage with less than 50 ledgegrabs in under 6minutes, does this mean I can skip the preliminary stuff? :laugh:

On a normal note, those rules seem fair enough I suppose. I like the anti-camping policy.

C~Dog

Smash Champion

random neutrals only

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

..Unless i can perfect my cgs to the point that i can grab you anywhere on the stage and walk you to the edge for a spike mowhahaha =P

Apart from that, awesome! =D

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Nononononono guys, the multiple characters thing is not what we're aiming for. Good players being able to use more than one of their best characters makes the challenges too hard, and doesn't leave the challenger with any options when picking a character suited for the task.

Try to keep the idea to a single character. The participants are the ones who need those benefits.

Toby.

Smash Master
Plus every time you do Attilas challenge thats 5 games. Even if they only go for 4 minutes each thats still 20-25 minutes (theres always talk in between games) just for one challenge. Considering the restraints in actual tournaments that would be silly.

Gym leader gets one character, OR splits their characters along the best of three (in a pre specified order). Otherwise it will take forever.

edit: im undecided about stage choice :S

DOUBLE EDIT: One character per Leader. Doing otherwise would destroy any advantage the challenger could have, and would ruin the concept of the gym being focused around one character and player.

tedeth

Smash Master
I think you should be able to choose 3 different stages. Because the stages will be known to the challenger before the match, they will be able to pick a character that doesn't necessarily get ***** on all 3, aswell as being able to brush up on how their character can use that stage.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I think you should be able to choose 3 different stages. Because the stages will be known to the challenger before the match, they will be able to pick a character that doesn't necessarily get ***** on all 3, aswell as being able to brush up on how their character can use that stage.
There's nothing wrong with being able to choose multiple stages, its the characters that should be limited to 1 for leaders. It also doesn't hurt to use simple gimmicks like Vyse's "bananas on high" challenge.

Toby.

Smash Master
1 unique quirky gimmick per leader. Keeps **** fresh.
Hell yes.

Guys I've updated the OP with the latest challenge rules, but in case you're catastrophically close to capping your internet this month and don't want to load all those pictures again...

***Current Challenge Rule Set***

1. Challenges can be up to a maximum of 1 best of 3 set. The minimum is a single match. The minimum match requirement may be avoided through rule 5.
2. Leaders and Elite Four may have no more than one counterpick stage. This rule does not apply to stages that do not give clear benefits to the leaders character. Stages are made less advantageous by appropriate Gym Leader special rules are also exempt from the rule.
3. Each Leader may choose 1 character to defend their badge with. This character will stay the same throughout all challenges.
4. Challengers are to nominate 3 characters that they will use throughout the competition. This is to prevent challengers simply hard countering each and every leader.
5. Every challenge must have at least one gimmick. This cannot involve giving an unfair advantage to the leader, nor does it have to be directly game related. For example, I'll give my rainbow badge to anyone that can sing me the poke' rap at a tournament

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Can it be something like Pit, Marth and random?
If you're willing to place a 1/35 character selection on the line in a difficult once an event challenge then go right ahead. We'll accept that. Keep in mind once you begin, there's no going back on your character choices, so have a good think about it before entering.

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's not really a ONE in 35 chance though is it. For people like myself who can use multiple characters, a random choice would be able to allow all of our characters to be in the running and offer some variety. Remember, let's not be TOO serious about this. Considering all that though, really that gives me upwards of 15 characters or more to play with and if I get lucky I get a counter, if I don't well better luck next time.

It's just a kind of compromise and pushes the character limits a little further for those who have the capabilities.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
4. Challengers are to nominate 3 characters that they will use throughout the competition. This is to prevent challengers simply hard countering each and every leader.
Are they required to use each character once per match, or can they use one until they lose a match? Like, if its beaten, it counts as fainting or something.

Top Bottom