• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash League - Registration Has Begun

Afropony

Smash Lord
Who wants to be my Rival?
You have to be someone that counters Pit such as G&W, Marth or MK.

We can laugh at eachother whenever the other person screws up and when you say goodbye to the other person you can say "Smell Ya Later"

Also I agree with Attila being an elite 4 member, then I know I can beat at least one of them :)

Throwback

Smash Lord
lol I'm up for being the thunder badge, those sparks are his stealth camo short circuiting though (beginning of MGS 2.

but yeah, this is lol, those photos made me laugh, alot.

oh this is luke btw

unreon

Smash Ace
I think to kind of balance the issue of "well obviously only the Elite Four can collect all the badges", you should put all the gym leaders at a slight stock disadvantage.

So perhaps make the leaders start with 2 stock whilst the challenger gets the full three. Leaders can still choose the type of stage/arena as per the anime. Or if that is too dramatic, the leader should start with 100% I guess.

But by putting the leaders at a slight disadvantage, there will be more people who have a chance to grab some badges. You want people to have some to motivate them to get better, but collecting all 8 is still a little difficult. It also allows a little "chance" factor to play into it, and after all this is just fun and games, isn't it?

PS: We need a Melee version.

Browny

Smash Hater
Eagle: No SA love because it would be too hard for the states to play you, since you guys generally don't move outside your state much. Thats the only reason.
lol. its always our job to go oos, never expect anyone to come here :(

swordsaint

Smash Master
Ok I understand the system and think it's great! However I don't see anything about "becoming" Gym Leaders/elite4/champion.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Ahh team rocket = melee players :D (brawl players will be forced to play melee every now and again ;P
and if they lose, they lose one badge(only 1 per tourney) or if u lose to a melee player on brawl, they get to chose what character u cant use in the gym battles :D
)

*dramatic music*

Toby.

Smash Master
Ok to clear a couple things up...

1.) Gym Leaders / Elite 4 can still challenge other leaders for badges, etc. Don't feel that you 'miss out' if you're a leader.

2.) Yes, it's meant to be difficult. I think that being difficult is a good thing. What would be the point of making the 'weaker' players gym leaders if the top 12 or so players instantly beat them? It would make the achievement of earning a badge worthless. This way you can actually be proud of your badges :)

3.) It is unlikely that we will allow people to keep challenging leaders constantly during tournaments. You won't be able to spam matches until you win once, because again that would devalue the achievement. If this occured it would also disrupt the tournaments themselves, due to TV hogging. We're currently working on a system that will be reasonable.

4) Gym leaders will be people who are generally acknowledged to be of a high standard. This means that people with solid tournament records will naturally be suited to the role. If a Gym leader is seen to be under performing consistently then another will take their place.

5.) Again, SA Gym leaders were not included because travel between the states is at a minimal. This applies to people from SA coming to other states and vice versa. It's not just because we can't be bothered going there, its because from a practical standpoint there are far more players in other states who will be traveling between NSW, VIC and QLD.

I'm glad people like the idea :)

Keep the ideas coming guys.

Edit: and in regards to handicapping the leaders...the issue i have with it is that even once you win a badge there's always going to be the subtext of "you only won because I was handicapped". It would be similar to forcing the leaders to only use mid tier, and the challenger gets metaknight/snake/whatever. Even though its fun and games, I want each badge to be an impressive achievement. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter though.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I like the idea of it being challenging. Might spark more interest and increase the activity around here a it more.

I think my beard has me as a shoe-in for Surge though. ^.^ =P I kid. :p

For this lack of consistency issue in the gym leaders and whatnot, how about if they lose 3 out of 5 at any time? Out of the last 5 challengers 3 won, basically.

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
Lol great idea. However, you are lacking something very important.

Professor Oak.

Well, it's not THAT important, but it's always fun =)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sure sounds good to me, you can only challenge someone once per tourney, best of 5 matches all played on their gym level. hows that?
lol 3 people said I should be thunder badge, works for me, I've been practicing up lately too.
also snake brings the thunder, and I use luigi who is the green thunder, and I've been using heaps of ganon lately who is totally thunder element, and I have a cat named thunderball, and my pic is kratos who pwns with thunder moves, and a bunch of other reasons that are stupid and make no sense.

also toby I used to know the entire pokerap, if I recited that correctly would I win your badge :)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
but do i get badges for owning gym leaders? and do i get $10000 for beating the champion?

EDIT: this should be done in 6v6 battles with each other. and the leader/e4 has to same his strongest character for last! oh, and given that the leader/e4 typically have higher level pokemon than the player, if there is a handicap, then it should be in the leaders favor :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I will be Lance.

The last member of the elite 4 who becomes even more epic and becomes the final battle.
pretty sure lance was a dude.
and used dragons
and pwned.

marth isnt and a dude.
you hate dragons (or charizard at least)
well... you do pwn.

so thats 1 out of 3

EDIT- oh lol, Oak was like the old sage who knew everything.
well he doesn't really play brawl, but otherwise I think jaz fits the bill.
jaz is oak kthnx

I LAG

Smash Lord
there should be 1 or 2 guys you have to beat before you get to the gym leader...you know...like you did in the games
YES! wifi players you must beat

or how about team rocket can be I_LAG and IGIF or Dekar or something.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
my two guys that have to be beaten can be silfa and jambo, team mario pro!!!

I LAG

Smash Lord
my two guys that have to be beaten can be silfa and jambo, team mario pro!!!
i like this idea of you have to beat 2 guys before the gym leader. but unless you can play them on wifi it would be very hard to challenge the gym leader if the guys you have to beat before the gym leader dont go to many tourneys.

S.D

Smash Master
Fun!

I'll happily take the mantle of a gym leader if you need me Toby. I could be Blaine and play on Norfair Fwahahaha.

Whoever wins everything first should be 'red' or the rival guy after the elite 4.

I LAG

Smash Lord
Fun!

I'll happily take the mantle of a gym leader if you need me Toby. I could be Blaine and play on Norfair Fwahahaha.

Whoever wins everything first should be 'red' or the rival guy after the elite 4.
no one will win everything unless they suddenly got uber pro.

and toby why no wifi? it will be very hard for some VIC and QLD players to get each others badges.

Toby.

Smash Master
Haha Sam it would definitely be appropriate. Maybe I'll give up my spot as a leader to make room for it. As it is I don't know if its right for me to automatically have a spot anyway.

I think the important thing about making this actually work is that it doesn't hog resources at tournaments. If we make it a long complicated procedure like 6v6, or requiring you to beat a couple people before the leader, then each challenge is going to take a large amount of time. Given that many tournaments only have 1 tv for friendlies, if at all, it's not reasonable to put such a strain on the TO. It will also throw actual pools/brackets out, which would suck.

Edit: Ilag. The vast majority of leaders at the moment do not play on wifi and don't want to in the future. If both the leader and challenger really want to do it on wifi thats ok...but we aren't going to work it into the system so that we have people going through a bunch of wifi battles first. So please, get over the wifi topic.

S.D

Smash Master
lol obviously you have to be a leader!

I was just offering in case it was required, otherwise I'll happily sit out AND WIN ALL THE BADGES... maybe...

I'm on the road to Viridian city...

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Toby, you know you deserve a spot, more than me at least. =/

Another point to be made, there is nothing of a Team Rocket in the works. At least not at this point in time. Bringing in too many variables to a first-time event like this is sure to cause many issues, and the challenges will be difficult enough without people being able to lose their badges.

I feel sorry for those who wish to challenge me... have to buy that dude some water to be allowed into my city.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I can understand that you want to make it a challenge, but it should be a challenge that a least one person who is not a member of the Elite Four actually has a chance of accomplishing.

I'm not saying that just anyone should be able to win, or that you should fill the gyms with average players, but i feel there does need to be someway to level the playing field to a certain degree. Maybe by placing restrictions on character selection, a handicap (not the most intersting idea lol), inclusion of items/levels that are normally banned in official tourney play, or some sort of gimmick that the leader uses.

Don't get me wrong here, i think this is a fun idea. I love the pokemon games, and a little bit of that in Brawl is just spreading the goodness. I just think that if you want to make this a more enjoyable experience for all concerned, then the idea needs to be re-evaluated critically.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the road to Viridian city...
...Meet my friends along the way.

I can understand that you want to make it a challenge, but it should be a challenge that a least one person who is not a member of the Elite Four actually has a chance of accomplishing.
umm im sure people like FTS and S.D etc can do it over time. And its incentive to get better so.. determination boost. (pokemon aint that easy u kno =P)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
if you cant beat us, go into the grass, vs some wild pokemon til you evolve, then come back and see what happens. the leaders/e4 are suppose to the be the top of the top.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if I get the thunder badge then my gimmick will be sending volts of electricity through your controller into your hands

I LAG

Smash Lord
if you cant beat us, go into the grass, vs some wild pokemon til you evolve, then come back and see what happens. the leaders/e4 are suppose to the be the top of the top.
my mk is lv10 atm when does he evolve into batman?

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
no, thats dirty. i dont like that idea.
it'll be one of the patches of grass that you can roll up :)

if I get the thunder badge then my gimmick will be sending volts of electricity through your controller into your hands
loll HAAXX *picks sonic and pikachu* "your too slow" "pikachu use quickattack !!" then *pikachu grounds the electic shock with his tail* (lol seriously whos seen that ep.. when u first see that ur like wtf they can do that?? aweesome! lol)

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Please guys, try to cut down on the joking around... we're trying to get some proper feedback on the idea, and confirmation on the suggested gym leaders and elite 4. I'm assuming all of them that posted in this thread are interested so far? (if you are, send us a photo, so we can add to the front page lols)

unreon

Smash Ace
Still not convinced about the idea.

Make it easier to get the badges.

In the anime they managed to get a 64-man tournament in the Pokemon League.

Want people to get involved and not have them give up after failing three challenges? Make the leaders start off disadvantaged.

Top Bottom