• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404

gallax

Smash Hero
when i first read this i started to think yoshi. my friend swears that his yoshi is only used to play MK's and is a MK counter. this can definately be yoshi. but...another character that comes to mind when reading this is mario. i have heard rumors of mario being able to beat MK. his downB is almost useless, but if you are experienced enough with it you can mos def use it effectively. his tilits/smashes/and airiels are quintessential like the hint says too.

my guess: yoshi or mario

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well I wouldn't say Yoshi is the ONLY counter against MetaKnight, there's still a few that can deal with him well.

And I would guess that Mario's Cape would completely mess up MetaKnight Recovery, though I don't know how he would fair in the other situations

Scala

Smash Ace
I think it might be yoshi, he can be edgeguarded rather easily, he has punishable smashes, he has useless specials (that can be used to take the opponent by surprise-- downB, sideB??) and he's a good MK counter (chaingrab to free upsmash at the end)

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
CRITICAL HIT! Marth makes 3 in a row.

Remaining characters:
Bowser, DK, Fox, ICs, Ike, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Olimar, Pit, P.Trainer, Sheik, Sonic, Wario, Yoshi, and Zamus
Many people are convinced that this character has no potential
Bowser, DK, Fox, ICs, Ike, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Olimar, Pit, P.Trainer, Sheik, Sonic, Wario, Yoshi, Zamus

I'm counting "no potential" to mean virtually no potential, because even these characters have some (but it is very limited).
With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count
Bowser, Fox, Ike, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi

Fox has good smashes and aerials, Jiggly has aerials, but both are lacking in tilts.
Sheik's smashes can be punished, but tilts and aerials are pretty safe.
(BTW, Sonic's smashes are hard to hit with, but they are all good and they are all punishable, which is why I'm keeping him)
This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.
This still applies to the remaining 4 characters for radically different reasons.

Bowser: The strongest in this category. Up-B out-of-shield and Koopa Hopping with Side-B are practically staples of his game now.
Ike: The super armor provided by Aether and Eruption can save your life while simultaneously hurting the opponent. Quick Draw is a good mindgame technique when used properly.
Sonic: The similarities between Side-B, Down-B, Dsmash, and dash attack are great for throwing your opponent off.
Yoshi: The weakest here in my opinion. Eggs are annoying, and Down-B is a good descent, but his specials aren't really all that special.
Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.
All 4 characters require a significant commitment to become good with. I'm going to make final judgment based on edgeguard weakness.

4. Sonic: Easily the best recovery overall, though it can be severely gimped by a lack of second jump.

3. Bowser: Whirling Fortress lasts a long time and goes through a lot. His main recovery problem is when he gets below the stage.

2. Yoshi: His second jump is ginormous and has super-armor. And while Egg Hop is a welcome addition, losing his second jump pretty much dooms him.

1. Ike: Quick Draw gets a lot of distance, but is super easy to gimp. Aether is good, but, as the hint says, a single mistake can be deadly.

I kinda hope it's NOT Ike since they just did a Fire Emblem character, and we all remember the 3 weeks of Zelda. Still, it fits him best in my opinion.
I'm gonna say Ike for matching the hint, Sonic because I want to see it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What, no Ivysaur?

Punishable, essential b attacks, mistakes with him deadly, outranges MK, dash attack has more priority than MK's tornado, considered bad, and takes A LOT of patience to master (I've been trying for months, and PT forced switching hasn't helped).

I think they would do PT as one character. Unlike Sheik and ZSS, you NEED to use all 3 to use PT Good
Maybe, but that would be insanely unfair to Pokemon Trainer. Lumping the three fighters into one for a strategic overveiw would generalize the character's strength's and weaknesses too greatly. In other words, the description for PT should either be three times as long as that for everyone else, (or more, because of pokeswap), or PT would not be adequetly covered for the purposes of the strategy aspect of "character of the week."

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Other than the first line about no potential I'd say DK, he pretty much fits the bill. He's one of those characters you can't make a mistake with or you're on the back foot.
It's not Sonic because you can't edge guard Sonic.
Anyone saying Yoshi can put up with Metaknight is dillusional, so it's not him either.
Sheik?

superman969

Smash Journeyman
I kinda think it's Peach....I don't think it's DK cause of the "no KO potential" thing.

I never fight Peach though or play as her, so I really can't say

D

Deleted member

Its yoshi this time. Rooooy doesnt know anything about yoshi, so he makes statements that he pulls out of his head, and adds a little insult for anyone who disagrees with him.

Sounds alot like yoshi, b moves are all needed and useful, can cg MK, etc.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Before another Ike supporter comes in - Since when is Great Aerieth easy to ledgeguard, and how do you do it?
What's "Great Aerieth"? I've never heard of such a thing. If you mean Great Aether, I don't see what Ike's super move has to do with anything. If you just mean Aether, it's easy once you learn how: smack him before he grabs the ledge after his SA frames end. Or better yet, time your grab of the ledge and he won't be able to grab it.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
darn my reply messed up :(.

so... yay i was right marth for #16. even tho i didnt post my 'official' guess, while i was away i decided it was Marth. My decision was partially made cus i remembered that the 'good at punishing' could also be cus of his counter, but 'he could be punished' could be if he used his counter incorrectly...

this next one seems like Yoshi or Ike, just as my very first guesses.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
Wow I hope it's Ike or Bowser. People tell me to stop playing as them.
Still I knew last week's one was Marth, it was obvious to all.

Mez

Smash Cadet
sonic nuff said.

i've read in the forums sonic is giving trouble to mk, and his recovery can be gimped with a footstool and bye bye sonic.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm calling Lucas. (Shush, I know I main him. What bias? <_<)

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character. But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level.
Grab release. Enough said. But there are high-level Lucas players out there. Or so I've heard.

Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that.
I've heard that Lucas can deal with Meta Knight pseudo-effectively due to PK Fire, but I for one disagree with this on the grounds that one projectile does not an easy matchup make.

With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.
Usmash. Fair. Dair. Dtilt on a bad day. All of these (and more) can be punished if they whiff, get blocked, miss, or don't trip the opponent.

This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.
Lucas totally relies on PK Fire. This (imo) is the reason that Mr. Game & Watch is such a hard matchup for Lucas -- Oil Panic takes his best move and turns it into a OHKO against him. Also applies to PK Thunder and the various stunts you can pull off with it. Mr. Game & Watch rears his ugly 2-D head again and takes our recovery away. (Thank god for tethers...)

Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.
See the part about punishable smashes/tilts/aerials. Lucas lacks any real good approach options, so he needs to keep opponents at bay with PK Fire while waiting for an opportunity. Miss a key move at close range and you get sent scrambling to find another opening. Lucas likes his space. Any absorbing/reflecting/countering character can take away PK Thunder as Lucas recovers, leaving him to fall to his doom. (Although the ones that can do so and make it back alive are possibly fewer in number.) The fact that Lucas hovers in place as he steers PK Thunder means he's open for characters like Meta Knight to come in and knock him offscreen. Properly timed ledgehogs make Lucas bounce off the stage instead of sweetspotting the ledge, killing him.

Reading the above, most of this could also apply to Ness. Meh, I'll stick with Lucas. It'd be embarrassing to miss the hint for my own main. >_<

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
sigh if your opponent is good at edgeguarding = trouble, uses b moves hmmm its definately OliMar.... few use him, some think he is trash :p my 2nd pic is sonic

Tenki

Smash Hero
Peach has AT's. Ike does not. (not even glide toss lol, unless you count that crappy backwards GT)
Yoshi has AT's. Ike does not.
Ness/Lucas have AT's. Ike does not. I also don't believe that PKT or PKT2 are 'simply not good'.
(insert assumed low tier character here) boards have support believing that character has potential. Ike does not.
Jigglypuff is harder to edgeguard. Ike is not.

`.`;

sonic nuff said.

i've read in the forums sonic is giving trouble to mk, and his recovery can be gimped with a footstool and bye bye sonic.
That's incorrect.

If you footstool Sonic during his up-B, you give him back his spring.

= double spring. >_>

sonic maybe?
;_; no.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
sigh if your opponent is good at edgeguarding = trouble, uses b moves hmmm its definately OliMar.... few use him, some think he is trash :p my 2nd pic is sonic
With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.
"Punishable" is not what comes to mind with Olimar's moves.

I'm banking on Yoshi or Ike.

Top Bottom