• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Peach has AT's. Ike does not. (not even glide toss lol, unless you count that crappy backwards GT)
Yoshi has AT's. Ike does not.
Ness/Lucas have AT's. Ike does not. I also don't believe that PKT or PKT2 are 'simply not good'.
(insert assumed low tier character here) boards have support believing that character has potential. Ike does not.
Jigglypuff is harder to edgeguard. Ike is not.
So then it's not Ike. Sadly in a way I was hoping it was. But I missed the part about AT's. Poor Ike. XD He's my alternate. Though I'm going for Samus. Sorry for the off topic discussion. Well then I'm hoping it's Ness or Lucas, just so I can get a good read on them.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
DK. No question. That totally sums him up.

"Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that."

The matchup chart has had DK>MK for some time and I've never quite fully understand it, but the more I play him, the more I believe. It's because MK has a tougher time edgeguarding DK than most other chars, DK can deal with his spacing, and if MK makes a mistake, he's dead at 60-80% easy while DK can live into the high 100%'s.

"With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count."

Totally DK. All his A moves are useful in certain situations, but they can be predictable, so you really have to make sure you find your mark when you use them. Patience is a must.

"This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise."

Neutral B and down B are both very crucial. The spacing on the down B is enormous and forces an aerial approach (which helps you know what's coming) and neutral B is game changing with the super armor and ever-present threat that it is.

"Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding."

Exactly.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
All the people you guys have named aren't punished heavily when they whiff attacks, guys. If you think Yoshi is punished badly if he misses anything then you've never played a good Yoshi. Lucas's tilts and aerials are barely punishable(same with Pit and Peach). And DK isn't underrated. And it just straight up confuses me how people think it might be Sonic or Olimar.

Ike and Bowser are the obvious choices and they both do surprisingly good vs Metakngiht if played right. But the part where it says that the characters special moves are a key part of its game, immediately makes Bowser the winner. Absolutely all of Bowsers specials are a key part of his game. SideB catches defending opponents off gaurd like mad, UpB is the perfect move when feeling overwhelmed, Fire gimps and racks up nice damage, and downB is also a surprise killer and is actually very usable unlike its Melee counterpart.

And everything else fits him perfectly too. No reason to give reason for those.

I'm surprised everyone hasn't said Bowser by now. It could possibly be the most obvious hint given to date(minus Falcon<_<).

gallax

Smash Hero
the more i think about this i would have to guess mario or bowser. ive seen a bowser wreck the best MK in the state at FAST. it was unbelievable how good he did aginst MK users.

my guess: mario or bowser

Tristan_win

Not dead.
All the people you guys have named aren't punished heavily when they whiff attacks, guys. If you think Yoshi is punished badly if he misses anything then you've never played a good Yoshi. Lucas's tilts and aerials are barely punishable(same with Pit and Peach). And DK isn't underrated. And it just straight up confuses me how people think it might be Sonic or Olimar.

Ike and Bowser are the obvious choices and they both do surprisingly good vs Metakngiht if played right. But the part where it says that the characters special moves are a key part of its game, immediately makes Bowser the winner. Absolutely all of Bowsers specials are a key part of his game. SideB catches defending opponents off gaurd like mad, UpB is the perfect move when feeling overwhelmed, Fire gimps and racks up nice damage, and downB is also a surprise killer and is actually very usable unlike its Melee counterpart.

And everything else fits him perfectly too. No reason to give reason for those.

I'm surprised everyone hasn't said Bowser by now. It could possibly be the most obvious hint given to date(minus Falcon<_<).
Boswer sounds about right. He does fit in there pretty nicely.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
PEOPLE NEED TO READ THE HINT ARGH

sigh if your opponent is good at edgeguarding = trouble, uses b moves hmmm its definately OliMar.... few use him, some think he is trash :p my 2nd pic is sonic
Read the hint. No one thinks he has no potential.

I also don't believe that PKT or PKT2 are 'simply not good'.
The hint does not say this. Read hint.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Wario please let it be Wario.........wait we are going to have Ike, right?
No one thinks Wario has "no potential". That sham went away after shELL and Futile ***** the MLG Brawl ladder.

It's more than likely DK (YES). DK is a beast, but it's kinda hard for him to gain momentum when on defense against some characters. Plus his vertical recovery is absolutely pathetic...still extremely fun to play as.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The hint does not say this. Read hint.
I was trying to make the case that it fits Ike more than the Mother boys.

A counterattack that has a long startup for counter AND invincibility frames?? I've seen more use for any of the Mother boys' specials than that.

Super armor on moves like Eruption that require you to stand still, but can be worth it if you can use it correctly.

I can kinda understand it being Bowser, since he's alot more specials-based than Ike is. Ike just spaces with F-air and N-air most of the time, with specials thrown in once in a while, but Bowser makes heavy use of his.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
aaah yoshi fits and he doesn't fit.

>B isn't useful really so I mean....how can he fit the special part?

Aerial wise, not much punishable stuff from yoshi...It's really just the d-air....although he is fudged if he gets blocked.....but you can't shield a d-air >.>...it eats your shield all the time.

Zamus uses all her specials >.>
Bowser fits...
Imma say Bowsa....

Will_

Smash Journeyman
'Cept Yoshi isn't exactly who I'd train to fight MK.

DK would fit, but we all know DK has potential and doesn't do well against MK.

Yeah, bowser seems right.

Hit973

Smash Cadet
'Cept Yoshi isn't exactly who I'd train to fight MK.

DK would fit, but we all know DK has potential and doesn't do well against MK.

Yeah, bowser seems right.
DK has a good match up vs. MK, but yea we know he has potential

Snail

Smash Lord
...Boozahr? :/

I went to the bowser forums and they seem to consider MK a pretty much neutral matchup, so yeah.

No, I didn't see that coming either. Not sure why it's neutral either, I'd say MK eats him for breakfast on paper, but yeah o_o

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I REALLY REALLY think it's Yoshi. He makes too much sense here, except for the seicals part, so Yoshi or Bowser.

Tenki

Smash Hero
yeah sonic seems to fit when they say nobody gave him time it makes me think its a newcomer
People give less time to learn Ike beyond the basic level and going into his spacing/kill mindgames.

Besides.

There are people who spent lots of time for Sonic's metagame and believe that he has potential, if not, tools for a good player to win with.

Ike boards, however, even condemn their own character.

I don't think it's Sonic. He is already on the potential list. and his recovery is pretty standard IMO.
;d

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ike boards generally agree he's mid tier, some argue his match ups aren't that bad, but they're loonies in my opinion.

"Ike is worse against Wolf than Falco."

Riiiiight.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I'm very tempted to say Peach, but something about the hint seems a little off to describe her.

Bowser and Ike really fit IMO though.;)

Pringer X

Smash Rookie
I'm going to guess Bowser, based on the neutral MK match up, and also because not many people use him.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I also don't believe that PKT or PKT2 are 'simply not good'.
I direct your attention to the following:
This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.
simply not =/= not simply
The way it is phrased, it implies that the character's special attacks are good.

Of course, I think Ike's specials are pretty good, as I mentioned in my original guess.
I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, just that part of your argument.

Grunt

Smash Master
The one thing that keeps me second guessing myself, is the "They're taking action" line. Ike and Yoshi are not doing well in tournies. DK has potential, but a lot of people see it.
I have no idea.
It's Mario.

Top Bottom