• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Ørion

Smash Ace
I'd like to thank the SBR. Ever since I've started here, I have hoped that the SBR would become a 'read-only' type place for the rest of us, but this allows us to see the most important discussions :) Thank you so much.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think it will be Diddy. I don't know how he does in tournaments but my friends say he is fun and it is hard for him to get back on the stage if you can't keep your upwards momentum while up b

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I would say that Samus is the next character, but then I read the last bit.

Because all the significant facts of Meta Knight have been mentioned, I'll just say that he's a badass, and he's ridiculously fun to play as.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
Sorry foxysigma, I was looking at the most specific hint about the recovery. Wario has one of the better recoveries in the game. Double jump, side-B jump, maybe fart, and up B. I think mario is on the better half of the cast, and is fun to play, but I can't see where you are coming from.

Olimar and Wolf have some of the worst recoveries, and most seem to think they are above average. Snake is another very good guess. I don't think sonic is a bad guess either. Snake or sonic could still be very good or bad characters. I think popular opinion is leaning towards snake being very good, and sonic not that good.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The first thing I thought of when I read the hint was Ike. But I guess not many other people got that same vibe.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i think the hint may be detracting from the real reason of this thread, to discuss the pros and cons and tier placement of Metaknight...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Actually. Ike immediately came to mind. I know that his recovery is crap and my friend is always like, "Ike is the best!" and I say, "No". Ike is popular but he recovers most of the time which is why I thought of diddy.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I agree with MK being first, he's just so good all around. He's one of the few characters that can easily combo, and his best killing move is easy to combo into as well (like C. Falcon in melee). Not to mention his recovery is unfair (meaning good). MK has very few downsides, although more than fox did in melee.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Although it seems like most people are just reading the summary/thread and posting here, it would be best to post your thoughts on that specific character within the thread itself, because its easier to organize everything that way.

Foxy

Smash Master
Sorry foxysigma, I was looking at the most specific hint about the recovery. Wario has one of the better recoveries in the game. Double jump, side-B jump, maybe fart, and up B.
Wario has nearly the worst recovery in the game if his bike is on the stage. Either he ignores one of his most useful moves or he gives up recovery.

Wario is very fun to play and HAS been doing well at recent tourneys. Many people call him top tier, because of a few of the crazy things he can do, but others feel that he's really just a crappy character who really doesn't have any strengths other than being weird.

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that the next character is Wolf. No one really knows where to put him on the tier list; he has some glaring advantages but he might not be nearly as good as a seems, and he's a blast to play. Oh, and his recovery blows.

Grandeza

Smash Master
The characters that came to mind were Diddy and Wario. Diddy has good recovery but its a ***** to aim and easily gimpable. He could easily be top tier and is fairly unpredictable. Not sure about him in the tourney scene though. Wario has ****ball recovery if his bike is on the stage. And he's incredibly unpredictable. Again not sure about tournaments.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'd like to say thank you for doing this. I hope more threads take this route in the future and that we can maybe even see the topic where you're deciding the ban list for stages. Maybe lock it so the thread doesn't turn to crap, but many people (including myself) would love to see the reasoning behind the tier list.

As for next week, I'm guessing Olimar.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
having some idea of what the SBR think of characters really helps me a lot. Thanks again guys!

Next week's is Bowser? (that's my guess)

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Although it seems like most people are just reading the summary/thread and posting here, it would be best to post your thoughts on that specific character within the thread itself, because its easier to organize everything that way.
I don't think anyone can raise an objection as to why Metaknight shouldn't be #1. His only flaw is a lack of kill moves and light weight. All of his other qualities are beneficial considering Brawl physics. The hint at #2 seems to intrigue people far more, it certainly seems to be Olimar.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Well, I like that whole concept, the SBR always seemed too cool for school, but this really helps get everyone in on it. I will say however that some of the character boards may simply submit biased info, considering that their characters rating is being put on the line.

This threads idea= Epic Win

nice job

Legendary Status

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure the next character is olimar. To some (like me) he's amazing but too others he's not that great. And if you knock him off, you can only pray haha

Anyways i do agree MK is up there. A well placed dsmash or upb can win a match for you and the tornado is a ***** if you get caught in it. His combos are relatively easy to pull off making; his recovery is top notch (next to pits); plus he just looks bad***. All this makes MK very noob friendly and a pleasure to play as.

Haha but he's not broken, lightweight and situational kill moves (IMO) will put him in mid to high tier.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
absolutely fantastic, succinct description of meta knight. this is a great feature, and i look forward to more character reports.

meta's downsmash is perhaps the most overpowered move in the game imo. it is so **** fast and has way too much kill power. one thing that i think is an interesting point of discussion for metaknight is the cost/benefit analysis of "spamming" downsmash. it can be used to punish rollers and as a follow up to a lot of moves such as neutral a and ftilt. because of this, i tend to see alot of metaknights using his downsmash while players are at low %'s, thus increasing the diminishing returns associated with the move and consequently making it harder to kill with when the opponent gets to higher %s.

when meta is up a stock this seems like a good strategy because the player can use dsmash to rack up dmg with the insurance that if he dies, he'll respawn with diminishing returns reset. however, when the stock count is even, over using the dsmash could be extremely disadvantageous due to the fact that it becomes so much more difficult to kill with. but then again, it does rack up a ton of damage. . .

just my 2 cents

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm pretty sure the next character covered in this is either Lucas or Wario. Both have kinda sketchy up-b recovery moves (although Wario's charged down-b is insane recovery), and I've seen both unexpectedly placing high in tournaments recently. I would post some MK comments here but I'll follow Panda's instructions and go to the main thread.

TheStig

Smash Lord
Thanks for doing this, bout time we have some intelligent discussions. I'm guessing that next week is olimar.

keeper

Smash Champion
That summary of MK is really good and even sums up his play-styles. As of right now, with the current way Brawl is developing, I'd say MK will be top, simply because how hard most of his moves are to punish.

Week 2 is most likely Olimar, in my opinion, because of his easily gimped recovery and how he is actually really fun to play because he is so unique. He's very debatable though as his play-styles can vary so greatly and he has no best way to be played yet and has so much potential with things like his amazing camping and grabs.

Wolf seems similar too, the only reason I don't think it is Wolf is because he has his illusion to help him recovery more easily in a horizontal manner and nothing makes him truly special or extremely debatable.

Great thread.

Eten

Smash Ace
You can second jump, glide, glide attack, shuttle loop, glide, and glide attack again.

It's tricks like that that make Meta-knight a good character beyond the basics and makes him powerful in the hands of talented players.

He's also very lightweight. Not just "sorta". Not just compared to the heavy weights. But just above jigglypuff+squirtle lightweight classification. He is one that can't afford to trade hits.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes it is. If this persists, the thread will lose it's relevance. Then again, the MetaKnight chat got moved to his forum....

D

Deleted member

MK will be top tier because of his amazing offense, deffense, and recovery

the ammount of pressure he can put on your sheild is devastating to more sluggish characters. His deffense is amazing because of how quick he is and how fast he can turn your offense to your death.

Eten

Smash Ace
I disagree ArkiveZero. Metaknight is not defensive. I think he does have amazing offense and recovery, but when speaking of defensive I think of options that a character has out of shield, the ability to deal with projectiles, range and priority on attacks used in a defensive way through spacing, and projectiles and the like...

He's fast and has range and priority on his attacks, but it doesn't show itself in the way like it did for the impenetrable melee marth, doesn't have any projectiles or any specific anti-projectile options like a reflector, and in comparison to other characters, not much in the way of options out of shield.

I think this difference is really important to state because of the nature of approach in brawl and the quality of shielding in this game, defensive options are very powerful.

PeaCe

Smash Rookie
Wario has nearly the worst recovery in the game if his bike is on the stage. Either he ignores one of his most useful moves or he gives up recovery.

Wario is very fun to play and HAS been doing well at recent tourneys. Many people call him top tier, because of a few of the crazy things he can do, but others feel that he's really just a crappy character who really doesn't have any strengths other than being weird.
Why oh why would you play with his bike on stage?

If you're using if offensively, you should be hitting your opponent, and continuing on, driving it off the stage and jumping off as you do so.
If you get knocked down, simply eat it. No biggy.

On the subject of Meta Knight though, I think by now its obvious that he is one of the better characters in the game. Sure, things change, techniques are discovered, etc. But there are always those characters who last through this in one way or another and I do believe he's one of them. He's made up of the right formula to be at the top.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well im definately sure that MK is marth's counter i mean u hit him once he hits u back three times. i never found myself trying to ko such a char in melee with marth but however i cant see MK to be rly good in 2v2s, he has to be with a good ko char to have a nice team.
in 1v1 i think MK has big chances to even be the top tier char but it is still too early to say such things i believe

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
For those of you who don't know, the Smash Back Room is a private room that allows entry only to those in the community who have proven their skill in Smash over the years. The SBR is most notorious for the creation of the official tier lists every year that are still the subject of alot of debate. But the SBR is actually much more than just a room that creates tier lists. We discuss all sorts of things varying from items/smashballs, tournament legality of stages, what rules to use as the standard for the largest tournaments, and of course, which characters are the best.

In the SBR the most active thread was entitled "Brawl Tiers". Yes, we're discussing tiers already. Does that mean a tier list is coming out soon? Absolutely not. Wait a year before asking when it will come out. But having a single thread to discuss 35 characters seemed like a bit much, so a few people in the SBR had a great idea.

The SBR is going to run a bit of an experiment. We will create a new thread every week to discuss a single character. The order is simply whoever we feel like talking about that week. And to expand on the idea, we decided to include all of you out there too. Roughly every week we will move that thread into the respective character's board so you all can see our thoughts and continue our discussions for us. And every time we move a thread, this thread will be updated with a summary of our thoughts, as well as a link to the thread. Keep in mind that this is just an experiment for now, we have no idea how it will evolve if it continues down the line.

Note: In order to keep all of your thoughts on the characters organized, please post opinions or impressions on the character in the linked threads. I'd like to keep this thread for more general discussions regarding this idea.

Update #1: Metaknight

Thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159785

Update #2: ????
Here is the hint for next week's character: Nobody is sure just how good this character can be. This character has started to place well at recent tournaments, but what does that mean about how good the character is? Many people say this character is amazing, near the top, but others will say this character isn't as good as you'd think. But there is one thing everyone will probably agree on: This character is incredibly fun to play! Assuming you can get back on the stage...

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
So **** obvious. It's Olimar.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So many people thought it was Olimar... I guess my hint-making sucks. Although, the people who said it was Wolf were really confident about it. I guess they know what they're talking about ^_^

The second update, Wolf, is up for you all to read and contribute to. The hint for #3 will come as soon as I think of what to put (which might be tomorrow :p).

RDK

Smash Hero
I submit that Wolf is not as good as everyone thinks he is.

Although, if played super-gay, he can be hella annnoying.

*COUGH*F-SMASH SPAM*COUGH*

Grandeza

Smash Master
I was never good with Wolf so I wasn't exactly very understanding of his play style and hadn't vs'ed wolfs very often. This commentary helped me get wolf much better.

Top Bottom