• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I think number 2 may be wario since he has among the crappier recoveries, Snake is incredibly fun to play but I think it's evident that he is really good and his recovery is fine to me.

w3bhead

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight is definitely high if not top tier, although he has few KO moves the few that he does have are easy to execute and highly effective. Shuttle Loop is incredibly easy to combo into especially with grabs off the edge and of course his dsmash comes out quick and is perfect for punishing with as opposed to a shield grab etc. By the way great idea SamuraiPanda, I look forward to next weeks character discussion.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
At first I thought week 2 would be Snake, but he can get back pretty good. Olimar seems like the favorite, but has he really been doing well? (haven't been watching the tourney results closely...)

Koscu

Smash Cadet
Nothing is more than fun than pulling off grabs with MK. His dash grab is AMAZING, and you can pull off pivot grabs well, than they're amazing too. Honestly, nothings more fun than punishing an Ike, Marth, or Snake, who you'd expect to usually to well against an MK, with a grab.

You can rack up the % with them, especially if you Grab - Slap - Throw - Mach. Not only does it keep the KO attacks fresh but if you can pull it off fast enough, they have no chance of DI'ing or punishing these with aerials. You just have to personally be quick, and act on instinct, not thought process with MK.

My favourite set up for a nice grab is to Dtilt, which has very little lag, pushes you forward, and can trip them sometimes, then dash grab. They have little time to response, and it does a good 20-30% in a quick enough time. You can't chain grab, but you can easily keep them going. Because his grabs are so fast, you can make it look like you didn't even touch them in the first place. If you do his b-grab, f-grab, or u-grab at high %'s, you can easily just move into a nice aerial spam.

And to mix it up to, add in a dash usmash. Although it has no KO power, if you spam it, it destroy's their health, leaving dsmash for the ko. Its suprising and quick, and puts them in the air, where if you're quick enough, you can definitely keep their % raising.

Another thing i love to do is get them in the air, and uair uair uair up b. If you can follow their DI's, you can get them basically to the roof and finish with the up-b for an easy KO. If done properly you can finish them at extremly low percents, lowest i've done it was at 25%, but i want to practice it more and get better at following the opponent in air.

Also, SHFF is key with MK. Since his aerials are quick and have little to no lag on landing, you can pull them off quickly. Its one of his greatest offensive approaches in my oppion, and can even be used defensively or for spacing. On time you just run up and SH fair, or SH nair, and if they start to get used to it, just SHAD behind them and punish with a grab or smash. Also, you don't even have to land! After an aerial, just midair jump for another aerial or air dodge. You can destroy your opponent in every way possible, whether you're on the ground/air, or they're on the ground/air. His utilt can KO at around 100% if sweet spotted, i use it all the time against other MK's.

You just can't stop moving with MK, and he has so many strengths, especially his speed. His defense is good to, with his ability to punish easily with dtilts, tilts, quick smashes, aerials, or even the mach tornado.

Its all in the player, you just gotta practice and find out ways that fit you.

Micahc

Smash Ace
MetaKnight, the new Sheik. The guy can kill easy enough, has godly priority and surprising range, and is a pain in the *** to edgeguard. Stupid Up-B all ways stage spikes me.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
MetaKnight, the new Sheik. The guy can kill easy enough, has godly priority and surprising range, and is a pain in the *** to edgeguard. Stupid Up-B all ways stage spikes me.
I woudln't go to that extent. I used to main Sheik in Melee, and now i main MetaKnight/Wolf. I actually find that when i play snake i find myself doing more Sheik-esque combos than anyother character. Call me crazy, but i find it to be true.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I agree. MetaKnight is not nearly as easy to play at low levels as Sheik is.

I think next week will be Olimar. He is amazing but some people hate him for various reasons. And his recovery is pitiful.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Sorry I don't have time tonight to read through all the other posts but I just felt like posting that the character for next week is going to be Olimar. In case anyone is wondering who I'm talking about, he is also known as Olimar&Pikmin. :)
It's Wolf.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Frames, the second character sounds like Wolf. Some people say he's going to be top tier, while many say he isn't good at all, and many people have a very hard time with his recovery. It could be Olimar I suppose, but I'm feeling Wolf.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I agree with Frames, the second character sounds like Wolf. Some people say he's going to be top tier, while many say he isn't good at all, and many people have a very hard time with his recovery. It could be Olimar I suppose, but I'm feeling Wolf.
Olimar's known for being easily gimpable, and there's nothing too special about Wolf that would make him extra fun to play as.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The problem, in my experience, is the grenade. Easy, fast, good damage, great knockback, and MT-proof. You can't keep close to Snake if he spams them, either, because Snake is obviously quite a bit more heavy-weight than Meta is.
Unfortunately for Snake, the Grenades can be picked up and thrown right back him. If the Snake player waits too long to throw them so they Explode on impact or near impact, Meta Knight will rush him. They're not too big of a threat. It's the Standard A punishment Snake deals that is the main issue for Meta Knight.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I really don't have much to say that hasn't been said. I feel in general that Meta Knight is a great character, but his weaknesses are easily exploited. I am pretty sure the second character is going to be Olimar, I can't wait until they cover Marth though.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't play as Meta mostly due to the fact that I tend to fail horriblely with speed-oriented characters which is probably bizarre but hey.

But oddly unlike the Fox or Falco, as an Ike player I don't nearly have as much trouble counteracting Metaknight compared to some others, more then likely because I haven't had a chance to play a really good Metaknight yet. If anything MK comes off as one of those character you can either be really good with... or play as the sandbag.

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
metaknight has horrible range, on characters like king dedede he is almost useless in the air, since ddd also has insane jumps.
thats all i have to say for this

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Link, he's really fun to play because of his projectiles and his recovery is a suckfest. I'm not sure about how well he's placing at tourneys tho.

audreyh

Smash Ace
Samurai Panda,

Can you just keep the character discussions in the SBR and then after the week is over, post a copy of the discussion in the tactical discussion forum or in the specific character forum? The SBR character discussion is great, but the posts by the general public are not. I'd rather not (and presumably the SBR does not) want to sift through public posts.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting for you guys to do one of these for fox. In my opinion dair uptilt fair is the most ridiculous 40% combo in the game.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
1) Meta Knight is, in my opinion, just high tier. Take away the speed, and you won't have anything impressive about him. He's good at racking up damage and recovery, but he doesn't have much more that stands out.

2) The next character is Olimar.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
The next character could be olimar, but wolf has a much harder recovery, and I hear he is doing well in t's.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I would definitely say Wolf for next time. His moveset is fascinating and unique from the other two space animals, but his arbitrary and short recovery is a problem, though it is quite a useful killing move.

As I am beginning to see some of the more serious flaws in Wario, I'm considering more and more shifting my main over to Meta-Knight, as he is both one of my favorite video game characters and also one of the best overall in Brawl so far. I agree his flaws are in the killing strength of a lot of his moves, it seems like only a few of his smashes, Shuttle Loop and the ever-hard-to-hit-with Dimensional Cape are the only ones he has. One must adopt a very agressive edgeguarding game to get kills more often than not, which is a problem with stages like Green Hill, Shadow Moses, and Mario Circuit taken into account.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
The next character is either Olimar or Snake.
As for Mk, I still don't know about him. He's great, but in the future I think people will figure him out, like Ike.

Top Bottom