• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

hockey007

Smash Cadet
I think that Game and Watch is the next character. This character has changed a lot. His recovery is now alot better because of being able to attack out of the up-b. He has almost no weaknesses except being sorta light, and is played completely different than in melee. Another one is possibly pika, but the first thing in my mind was game and watch.

Novan007

Smash Rookie
Luigi's recovery isn't really that great, though I haven't seen/played too many luigis...
What... r u talking about Melee? I'd really recomend playing better/more Luigi's. Luigi has an awesome recovery in Brawl! He can use his B-up, B-down, or B-forward all as recovery moves.

I think it could be Luigi not only for the afore mentioned reasons about his great recovery. His f-smash is good by its self, but when combined with shudder-stepping and dash canceling all his smashes totally rock. Also, he can combo his jab into his b-up, has awesome priority on tons of his attacks and has zero landing lag on his aerials. And he has his fireballs as a projectile. There really is no down side to Luigi.
As Samurai Panda said in his video review of Brawl, "Luigi... Oh God! ... Wow!"

The other possibility is Pika, who also meets many of the standards of the hint. His recovery is pretty good, and his moves though they didn't change in animation their properties changed very much. Many of his attacks got buffed, and i personally think his uair is easier to sppike with. Then there are his smashes which are all phenomenal. His up-smash is one of the quickest and most powerful in the game; his d-smash sucks in and has multiple hits [in my opinion it's like the new Peach D-smash from melee]; and his f-smash is freakin powerful, even though it is a bit slow coming out it has good range. Pika has many options when attacking making mindgames easy, not to mention his neutral B. Retreating thunder is a personal favorite mindgame of mine, made easy with b-sticking. Pika is overall a very solid veteran character as well, making him a a very possible choice for next week.

On a side note of G&W and Peach, G&W is much better than melee, but being the second lightest character in the game doesn't help him much, even though vert-KO's are harder to KO him with cause of the properties of his dair being a stall then fall. Overall he's good, but his light weight is a obvious disadvantage, removing him from the runnings of being next week's topic. Peach fulfills the requirements of having good mindgames, and a good recovery, but her d-smash sucks now! [and i don't mean sucks in] Her other smashes are ok, but she overall isn't that good anymore, and is definitely not next weeks topic.

Jiggly can be awesome, but being the slowest land character and the lightest in the game, are rather obvious disadvantages that disqualify her from being next week's topic, who supposedly doesn't have any disadvantages.

I can't wait to see who it is

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
That would be a Marth. His Neutral B is amazing for recovering. He doesn't look much different in his playstyle, but with him falling faster this means no ken combos, less double fairs. less happiness. However he did get alot faster and stronger.

Sturnip

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing Fox.

Wolf's recovery doesn't seem that bad though. I've up+b'ed to the edge only to not grab it occasionally, but I wasn't in helpless. (dropped immediatly after grabbing?)

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I'm guessing Kirby. All of his attacks look the same except for Over-B and his dash attack. It can't be Jiggs because the post makes it seem like the character has been improved since Melee.

Trexxen

Smash Cadet
I'm sure it's either Kirby or Luigi. Both have been buffed, and both are looking very good in Brawl. Not top-tier on either of them, but high would be likely.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
Marth, because he was commenting on how this character had no dissadvantages. Lite weight is a dissadvantage (GaW + Fox.) Marth is not quite lite and has no real dissadvantages. Plus, all his moves look the same but they are all pretty different. Take u/smash and d/tilt for example.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It has to be Pikachu. He's been in all three games, his recovery's amazing, and his attacks are stronger and faster for the most part.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
While improved, I wouldn't call Pikachu's smashes DEVASTATING. At most, they're useful and powerful. His up smash got nerfed a lot. Game and Watch's smashes all have their strengths. Also, I don't really think the properties on Pikachu's moves changed much, really. Not nearly as much as G&W.
I wouldn't call any of G&W devestating either, theres some pretty good ones but most of his KO's come from a crazy array of aerials.

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
It has to be G&W. His moves all look the same with the exception of his neutral air and up+B but have different hit trajectories. His backair has changed greatly with the multiple hits and his down air has the added acceleration. his recovery is amazing good with the addition of being able to retaliate. his smash attacks are really strong as well

barnes

Smash Rookie
it really depends on what they mean by 'veteran' just from ssbm or in all games but my bets on marth

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking Kirby Or Game and Watch.... Most Likely Game and Watch though

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Game and Watch, definitely. His recovery is great, his smashes are insane, his playstyle has changed (I bet no one would ever think that the Bair would be one of the best moves of the game for approaching and attacking,) and he has mostly the same moves.

Back to Wolf: He's nice and strong, I'll give him that. However, his recovery is utter crap, he can't combo very well, and his blaster is a little slow for a projectile. I'd put him somewhere in the "High Tier" category.

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
I'm going to bet Pikachu, since he's been in all three games.

However, the description could fit Zelda or G&W.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Update #3 is either going to be Falco, Donkey Kong, or Pikachu... Falco and Donkey Kong both have amazing horizontal recovery (but Falco's vertical recovery is only OK and Donkey Kong's is balls), and Pikachu has godly recovery. They all have changed pretty drastically since melee, with Donkey Kong and Pikachu's being their incredible boost in being awesome (Falco was already awesome). DK and Pika are both fast, destructive forces unlike their melee counterparts.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could also be Game and Watch... hmm.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
It's Pika jeez.

"what disadvantages does this character even have?"

NONE! duuuhhhh........

I agree with this guy *cough*
If it's anyone else I'll be angry with myself(and everything) lol

That phrase "what disadvantages does this character even have?" is just like a slap to the face if it isn't Pika. If it's G&W, like come on! Projectile is weak and recovery isn't an incredibly strong point.

Pikas only weakness, he can't absorb/reflect projectiles while G&W can. That is all...

Seriously now...:urg:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco and G&W have the most noticeable changes of attacks/properties. It says that the character has gone under drastic changes from Melee, which might imply that there was a large transition from the spot it had on Melee's tier list to the spot it will probably have on the Brawl tier list (G&W probably has the biggest change there from going from near bottom to possibly somewhere in the top.) I would say G&W has the more devastating smashes of the two as well, except maybe his up smash because of the startup lag and sorta short range.. So my vote goes to G&W but who knows it could be Falco as well.

Edit: Falco has some good mindgames he can use but I would say G&W trumps him in that area too (chasing after dthrow, using uair to keep the opponent in the air and plan something, mixing up recoveries/edgeguarding options, ect.) This is starting to look more and more like the next character is G&W but that's just my 2 cents.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
DEFINATELY not falcon, since it says its a char with a small amount of weaknesses, and Falcon has ALOT of glaring weaknesses and people are putting him at the bottom along with Link and Ganon.

Its probably game & watch, since all his attacks look ALMOST the same and he has incredible power, though it could also be Zelda but her attacks DO look slightly different and she has no real defence when the enemy is below her.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Update #3: ?????
Our first discussion on a veteran! This veteran has undergone some drastic changes since Melee, although most of the attacks may look the same, the properties are much different. The combination of possibly some of the most devastating smash attacks, great mindgames, and an awesome recovery make this character tough to handle. Actually, what disadvantages does this character even have??

Can you guess who next week's character will be?

What is Kirby?

Top Bottom