• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Most likely candidates: G&W, Zelda, Kirby, Luigi. I mean I guess they could consider Falco having a great recovery.

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
Has NO ONE (IM WAYYY to freaking lazy to read 17 pages of posts, cause im just that fat and lazy)said Pikachu? Among all the people i have to play online, Pikas recovery is one of the hardest to gimp. (someone said pika, i'm agreeing with that person)

I don't think its G&W because he is not a veteran from SSB (but thats just me being all totally into definition of "veteran")

Luigi also has a very good recovery, with one of the best vertical to horizontal recoveries in the game. Perfect Tornado ftw

Also, WTH is jiggz? lol, i mean cmon jiggz has most of the same attacks, but with different knockback properties and different effects *Cough* rest *cough*

And no one loves yoshi i guess, SAF (in his double jump, instead of double weight its now SAF, woot woot) weren't enough for you *******s lol

Maybe Peach as well, her recovery is still a good one, but the smashes are less than EPIC

ITS NOT ZELDA. Her up b is like, absolute crap. Its easy to plot, and if you take a guess where it'll end up, you'ld be right half the time (No joke :D)

i can safely say its definetly not DK, Mario, Sheik, Zelda, Ic's, Ganon, CF, Link, Sheik, G&W (Maybe G&W Fire stick and Sub Helmet are scary smashes), Ness(HAHAHAHAHHAHAH), Marth (He has a tiara, no one can be awsome with a tiara >:) ), Bowser, The space animals minus wolf, And im too lazy to look at the roster anymore, so this is all i got :D

But for my final guess, LUIKACHU has to be my last.

Being ***** with their D-smashes and f-smashes scars a guy, adn they both have STELLAR recoveries. Almost ungimpable (or maybe i just suck? Naw that can't be :phttp://gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/team/pinkenthusiasts)

BUt both are vets, both have undeniably good smashes, and both have the same moveset with minor tweaks (hahahah DUH )

SO its LUIKACHU (luigi or Pikachu for those *******es reading this >.>)

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Luigi? His recovery is still pretty good, but tricky what with having to Side B then Up B, but it didn't get upgraded nearly as much as Melee.

And Pikachu? Pikachu has been almost the same since the original, I don't see his improvements being enough to warrant the kind of talk the hint led towards.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Characters like Pikachu and Ice climbers, in my mind at least, would seem to have some obvious "disadvantages" in the eyes of a pro, but maybe that's just me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Has NO ONE (IM WAYYY to freaking lazy to read 17 pages of posts, cause im just that fat and lazy)said Pikachu? Among all the people i have to play online, Pikas recovery is one of the hardest to gimp. (someone said pika, i'm agreeing with that person)
Uh Pikachu does have good recovery, but G&W's recovery is WAAAAAY better. G&W completely crushes out Pikachu in terms of distance and options when recovering, because his recovery goes both INSANELY high and far. AND he can attack out of it OR sweetspot the ledge. = Best recovery in the game.

I don't think its G&W because he is not a veteran from SSB (but thats just me being all totally into definition of "veteran")
It said SINCE MELEE. He's a veteran. Duh.

Luigi also has a very good recovery, with one of the best vertical to horizontal recoveries in the game. Perfect Tornado ftw
Yeah, but the Tornado can't sweetspot, and has dumb ending lag, so it can get intercepted.

Also, WTH is jiggz? lol, i mean cmon jiggz has most of the same attacks, but with different knockback properties and different effects *Cough* rest *cough*
Totally agree here.

Maybe Peach as well, her recovery is still a good one, but the smashes are less than EPIC
Peach's recovery is BAD in Brawl. She cannot float outside of the range of interception, and her Up-B is easily punished.

ITS NOT ZELDA. Her up b is like, absolute crap. Its easy to plot, and if you take a guess where it'll end up, you'ld be right half the time (No joke :D)
Agreed

But dude, it's G&W, who has better Smash attacks than everyone else mentioned. His DSmash >>> Pikachu's. His F-smash >>> Pikachu's. His U-smash is too slow, but it is the third strongest in the game. Also, his aerial attacks completely changed. U-air does wind stalling. his D-air fast falls. His B-air breaks shields. Basically Pikachu didn't change nearly as much as G&W.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Uh Pikachu does have good recovery, but G&W's recovery is WAAAAAY better. G&W completely crushes out Pikachu in terms of distance and options when recovering, because his recovery goes both INSANELY high and far. AND he can attack out of it OR sweetspot the ledge. = Best recovery in the game.

It said SINCE MELEE. He's a veteran. Duh.

Yeah, but the Tornado can't sweetspot, and has dumb ending lag, so it can get intercepted.

Totally agree here.

Peach's recovery is BAD in Brawl. She cannot float outside of the range of interception, and her Up-B is easily punished.

Agreed

But dude, it's G&W, who has better Smash attacks than everyone else mentioned. His DSmash >>> Pikachu's. His F-smash >>> Pikachu's. His U-smash is too slow, but it is the third strongest in the game. Also, his aerial attacks completely changed. U-air does wind stalling. his D-air fast falls. His B-air breaks shields. Basically Pikachu didn't change nearly as much as G&W.
Uh, we're talking about the same characters right?

Anyway, I thought it was G&W too but it says at the end "what weaknesses does this character have." G&W is really light so I'm thinking it will be someone like Luigi who doesn't have any obvious flaws. But who knows, it might be G&W.

Browny

Smash Hater
like, 90% of posts in this 'wolf' thread are people taking random guesses at who next week will be. theres no prizes for guessing who it is, so stop wasting time.

i used to think wolf was instant top-tier material, but he really is predictable. his best KO moves are kind of obvious to see coming, a lot like lucas but his other KO move (b-air) is hard to hit since he falls fast while everyone else can float above him.

D00D64

Smash Cadet
Well, we stll wanna guess, just let us. The Wolf post already summerised him quite well, so there's not much to talk about.

Also, G&W.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ok, Wolf, probably his biggest issue is that he's pretty easy to gimp because his up b recovery leaves him vulnerable for a while and it's not particularly effective.

However he's got nice priority all around, he's fast and his moves come out quickly. His aerials in general are pretty effective.

That said, a lot of them have a lot of cool-down if they're SHFF'ed which makes them rather punishable.

The F-smash and (especially) the D-smash really fast and effective. I can see a lot of use.

Update #3: ?????
Our first discussion on a veteran! This veteran has undergone some drastic changes since Melee, although most of the attacks may look the same, the properties are much different. The combination of possibly some of the most devastating smash attacks, great mindgames, and an awesome recovery make this character tough to handle. Actually, what disadvantages does this character even have??

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
Mr. Game and Watch?

XACE-K

Smash Master
I just saw this thread and both those summaries about MK and Wolf are right.

As for udate #3, I'm guessing G&W or Luigi.

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
have to agree with the MK and Wolf summaries.

as for my guess, i'd say Luigi

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uh, we're talking about the same characters right?

Anyway, I thought it was G&W too but it says at the end "what weaknesses does this character have." G&W is really light so I'm thinking it will be someone like Luigi who doesn't have any obvious flaws. But who knows, it might be G&W.
G&W doesn't have any clear weaknesses. Even though he's lightweight, his defensive options are AMAZING. He's actually surviving a lot longer than most characters because his recovery and defensive options are so good, and to make things tougher for enemies he's killing them at LOWER percents than he is getting killed at.

Luigi suffers a bit in range. His projectile game still sucks. He doesn't deal with spam that well either because he's a bit slow and doesn't have special techniques to get past spam. Luigi is definitely good, but he hasn't undergone drastic changes like G&W.

AndroidFroggy

Smash Apprentice
I think the next character sounds like Zelda. her recovery is long as always and her smashes are amazing. Her attacks are almost all better, although they might not be quite different enough to fit the description. I've found Din's Fire to be an amazing mindgame because it pressures them to move and dodge constantly and make mistakes. Also, the way the post said "changed a lot since melee" makes me think it might be a melee-only character (as in not original bros.)
(Pika also sounds likely, especially since he's such a popular character among people I'm talked to).

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm thinking Ice Climbers for week 3, or maybe I'm just hoping. Side-B has been drastically changed, D-smash now has an amazing sweet spot, their comeback has been buffed A LOT (tether, now they can both be on the edge at the same time). I think it would make sense also because of the attention they're getting with all these "broken" chain grabs and whatnot. The only thing that threw me off was, "Actually, what disadvantages does this character even have??" Outside of their chain grabs, they have plenty of disadvantages, so this is the only reason why I think it may not be Ice Climbers. But yeah, ice blocks, blizzard, dair, fair, and grabbing mechanics have all been changed pretty significantly, but not so much graphically.

...well, I hope it's ICs.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well considering the options I think its likely to say that its one of the following: Pikachu, Luigi, Game and Watch, and Jiggs (just for great aerial game).

Pikachu: Good Smashes, great recovery, it seems to cover even more distance than in Melee and it sweetspots (though that takes a fair amount of practice to get used to, but who said they have to be easy to pick up?). He is lacking a lot on the change factor though, pretty much the same knockback properties since SSB.

Luigi: Good smashes, though his best really lacks range, but thats okay because its amazingly powerful for its speed. His knockback properties for his smashes and his side b definitely feel quite different, though his side and up smash much lessso. Overall the change to his knocback properties I feel hasnt changed enough especially since most of the changes are only slight differences in trajectory (though his down smash is now has very different knockback properties (well it still sends them mostly up, but thats about all thats the same).

Game and Watch: Wins for most difference in knockback properties, mostly that is in reference to his aerials though, his ground attacks are mostly the same, though the hitboxes changed some, the trajectory didnt so much. He also wins for insane smashes (though I think Luigi follows close just because of the power in his side smash). His recovery is definitely good, though I like Pikachu's better, but its nice to have the option to not have to sweetspot pretty much every time. It also seems like it gets less vertical distance than in Melee (he got more than Fox did then, it was crazy to recover from the very bottom of the screen of FD).

Jigglypuff: a great aerial game and excellent at gimping recoveries. Shes got power though they dont really come through in her smashes, which makes me a bit skeptical. A great down B even if its not as amazing as it used to be. But overall she doesnt really cut the mustard in the change category since the only drastic change was to her down b attack, though her rollout is no longer quite as suicidal.

Overall I think I have to give my vote to Game & Watch, even though I really dont like him all that much, there is no arguing with the Fire Stick.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm primarily on the "G&W for #3" wagon. Strong smashes, versatile and long-reaching recovery, and altered move properties are all him.

Zelda received quite a few alterations, but I imagine the words "stupidly", "powerful", and "projectile" would have been in the hint if she was the topic of discussion.

Godhand_Soup

Smash Rookie
It's DK.

Smashes are obvious. Different properties to attacks(mostly range), and one of the best mindgames in holding a charged DK punch.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But DK's recovery SUCKS.

And G&W has better Smash attacks and mindgames.

Godhand_Soup

Smash Rookie
It doesn't suck, but it's not 'amazing' like said in the hint. I guess it can be viewed as amazing at this point in time.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Doesn't it have nice SA frames?

DK might have a strong vote, but really G+W's recovery actually is 'amazing,' and that's why I have a hard time believing anything else.

Also:

Thought you guys might like that.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I play Wolf and I honestly don't think he'll be Top Tier for very long. He quickly gained player support and evolved quickly. All I'll input is that contrary to popular belief, Pit counters Wolf very well. And I play both characters avidly.

And just for fun, my guess for #3 is Peach. Even though G&W seems pretty obvious.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
There's also the Space Animal factor, which made him a favorite of those who played Melee competitively and played the 'best' characters rather than their favorites.

And the sworn rivals of those who played against the tournament Falco/Foxes, but still.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It doesn't suck, but it's not 'amazing' like said in the hint. I guess it can be viewed as amazing at this point in time.
Wow, are you telling me you know so little about G&W's recovery? Sheesh.

G&W's recovery:
1. HAX vertical distance
2. Parachute gives HAX horizontal distance
3. You can attack out of the Parachute.

G&W literally has the best recovery in the game. I would go on a limb to say better than ROB's, because at least if you hit G&W he doesn't need to touch the ground again to regain his Up-B.

Browny

Smash Hater
but can G&W airdodge an incoming, say, a 182% lucario aura sphere while in parachute and still make it back to the stage? rob can.

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh... did you even read what i said

lets say G&W is sent to the very edge of the screen by a low trajectory attack, lets say zelda's dsmash. he tried to recover but has a dins fire heading his way, 1 hit from dins fire and its going to send him into the blast zone. he can airdodge the first one, but theres no dodging the second one while he is in parachute. he can of course airdodge the second one, but he will lose his recovery and fall to his death.

rob can airdodge as many dins fires as he wants and make it back every time.

Godhand_Soup

Smash Rookie
Wow, are you telling me you know so little about G&W's recovery? Sheesh.

G&W's recovery:
1. HAX vertical distance
2. Parachute gives HAX horizontal distance
3. You can attack out of the Parachute.

G&W literally has the best recovery in the game. I would go on a limb to say better than ROB's, because at least if you hit G&W he doesn't need to touch the ground again to regain his Up-B.
I was talking about DK's recovery.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Alright peoples, the next character, Game & Watch, is up! The thread is full of interesting info, like how to DI out of his turtle.

And I also put the hint for #4 up. Enjoy ^_^

Nyorg

Smash Rookie
Next character is either Snake or Toon Link, I think. I'm leaning towards Snake though, for superior mindgame potential.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Hm. I want to say Zelda, ROB, or Snake.

Zelda because "This character" was used like, fifty times. Usually non-gender = female trying to be inconspicuous. Her recovery is amazing and she is indeed mindgame-intensive, and really she can be played several ways. I mean they all end with Fair/bair sweetspots, but all the same.

ROB, he has no gender to speak of so it very well could be him, and his recovery is amazing but easily counterable.

God, Snake and mindgames. How shall I count the ways?

I think I'm going to go with Zelda or Snake, but I'm leaning more towards Zelda.

Top Bottom