• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Denzi

Smash Master
It's all part of their plan. We can't dismiss a single word they say. What can we learn from this "Hint Soon" that they speak of? Lets break it down.

"Hint Soon". Now if we add some letters (chosen by a complex by ultimately arbitrary equation) we get Dint Spoon. Let's break it down even further. If we do a random dictionary search on google we find out that dint refers to:

1 archaic : Blow, Stroke
2: Force, Power
3: Dent

— by dint of : by force of : because of <succeeded by dint of hard work>

How is this relevent to the next character? You see, all the definitions are in fact relevent to one character alone...Pokemon Trainer.

1. Archaic - Clearly squirtle, as a water pokemon, is as old as things get. Descended from the first creatures to have inhabited the earth, squirtle is the definition of archaic. He is also a turtle, which is a thinly veiled reference to the Great A'Tuin. Great A'Tuin is very old indeed, which is unquestionable proof of this connection.

Blow

Valid for a number of reasons. First and foremost if we take a looksie at the Tier List and Ankoku's Character Rankings Thread we can see that blow is a wonderful way in which to complete the sentence "Gee, Pokemon Trainer really _______s"

Edit: Of course us PT mains know that he's actually god tier at least. Clearly the SBR forgot to factor that into their clue though. /Edit

Secondly, 'blow' is clearly a direct reference to a distinct minority who wished that squirtle could blow bubbles (aka "Bubble" or "Bubblebeam" from das pokemanz) rather than hide in his shell.

Stroke

Another thinly veiled link to water gun. What do we think when we hear stroke? Two stroke motors. Motors in what? Lawn mowers. What do lawn mowers run on? Fuel. Fuel is a liquid. Water gun is also a liquid.

The links couldn't be any clearer, but for the benefit of the community I'll continue.

2: Force, Power

Obviously these are both related to Charizard. Rock smash does 43% if you hit correctly. 43%! His other smashes and tilts are also quite exceptional, though fsmash is slower than bingo night (zing?).

Before we move on, though, let us pause and examine this "Force" on a deeper level. Now all you physics people out there will know that Force = Mass x Acceleration. Lets ignore that rule for the moment and assume that by force they are talking about knockback.

Both Squirtle and Charizard have an interesting quality in their dthrow. Both of their dthrows have the most knockback. Both of them, however, do the least damage of all their throws. Now we see why mentioning Force as well as Power was so vital to the clue. Ingenious.

3: Dent

This one is a real doozy. The secret lies in doing another search for the specific meaning of Dent. Upon doing this we reach two stunning definitions.

1: a depression or hollow made by a blow or by pressure
2: an appreciable impression or effect often made against resistance <hasn't made a dent in the problem> ; specifically : a weakening or lessening effect <costs that have made a dent in the budget>

Now I know that all of you will be screaming out "Ivysaur!" upon reading these and let me tell you straight up: you're absolutely correct. But first we must continue to break it down (ah, a recurring bad joke...excellent)

The key section to look at is the second one. There has been strong resistance to the godlike power of ivysaur due to the tiny, irrelevent detail that is her tether recovery. As such many members of SWF believe that ivysuar simply can't make a dent on the tournament scene, especially against uber hax gimpers such as metaknight.

"a weakening or lessening effect" is also a poignant statement on fatigure... the eternal struggle between the pokemon and their own fitness, which seems to be equal to that of an ailing pensioner.

Finally we reach the most important piece of the puzzle, the second part of the key phrase

Spoon.
I believe this video will explain everything.

Case Closed.
Win. And apparently PT has a chiangrab as well.

It's Kratos.
Further win.

10wins

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
LOL nice tcranter!

i think its Shiek, or Zss may be. Zss doesn't really have a chain tho, its more of a whip.
He says ZSS because there's still a possibility that Panda actually meant "chaingrab" when he said "chain throw". If this is the case, Zamus would be the more likely candidate than Olimar or Peach(who don't fit the rest of the teaser, though they have chaingrabs). PT is also a possibility.

For those of you too lazy to go through the past 8 or so pages, basically, we've (the people who've discussed this) came to this conclusion:

If Panda meant "chaingrab", like the IC chaingrab, than the possible candidates are Zamus and PT.

If Panda meant "chain throw", as in "throw"ing a "chain", the possible candidates are Sheik and Olimar.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Overswarm said it was meant to be chaingrab. Some people say chainthrow, because a chain grab would be more like bowsers attack release grab, because he isn't throwing you, he is grabbing you.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Overswarm said it was meant to be chaingrab. Some people say chainthrow, because a chain grab would be more like bowsers attack release grab, because he isn't throwing you, he is grabbing you.
Quote please? Cause if that's true, it's pretty much guaranteed to be Zamus (I doubt it's PT, people were baffled when someone said Charizard could CG, no one's ever heard of that. Then again, that might be the way they're trying to trick us...)

And I realize the implications of chaingrab/chainthrow, but most of us thought it was a mindgame by Panda.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I'm going to guess Olimar.

He throws his pikmin chain.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think its sheik she has a chain and she throws it when she uses the chain so that means that its a legitimate chain throw because she is literally throwing a chain am i right

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I thought it would have been obvious to people that it was ZSS after Overswarm posted that. But they still kept arguing for sheik, so I just gave up on convincing....

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Exhibit A: The hint refers to a legitimate, but easily punishable "chain throw".

Exhibit B: Overswarm states "chain grab" is also an acceptable term.

Exhibit C: Dazwa "doesn't know" who this weeks character is. Note that he is the only dedicated ZSS main in the SBR (chillindude doesn't count).

Seriously, guys. Why are you still arguing about it?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
no, i seriously don't know, they banned me from the thread beforehand for spoiling you guys too many times

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
only ones left with "chain" throws are sheik, lucas, olimar, and zamus

as for actual chain throws, wario has one on certain characters, other than that, ???, peach maybe on spacies

People left

Wario
DK
Olimar
ZSS
Luigi
Ness
Peach
Fox
Lucas
Mario
Sonic
PT
Sheik
Jigglypuff
Ike

Toby.

Smash Master
:) pretty much. PT seemed appropriate because everybody always wants it to be their main.

I'm pretty tempted to do a mock analysis of the teaser hint actually. I'm in the middle of an essay on the A-Bomb, so procrastination is the name of the game at the moment.

Decisions decisions..

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
by chain grab, the hint could easily mean an inescapable simple bthrow into fthrow at 0%. and i'm sure there are at least a few of the remaining characters with something like that. i only know of charizard though.

edit after reading the past few pages, i'm pretty sure it's zss. charizard's grab is legit, but it only works 2-3 times on most characters at low percent. iirc zss can do it at any percent.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Meh, this is more or less the guest hint for the week. It was actually Overswarm's idea, so its not my own hint anyways. Since the other person couldn't get around to it, and this "teaser hint" is actually working as a standalone hint, I'm just going to leave it like this 'till next week.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Didn't m2k say something about Olimar having an awesome chain grab? Perhaps he was just kidding, or the post was bogus, but if Olimar does have a chain grab, his tether grab could leave him very punishable. I think it is Olimar.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If we are talking about chain 'throws' I reckon it's Sheik as she does throw a chain for one of her specials

If we're talking about grabs (it does however specifically say chain throw though and whilst all chain 'grabs' involve you repeatdly throwing and re grabbing someone, they're always referred to as chain 'grabs') then it's probably ZSS. Peach for certain hasn't got a very risky chain grab...where as ZSS is stuck waving her whip around inviting all kinds of nasty charged smashes to the face

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord

God dang it. >_> I was really counting on that hint to at least eliminate the chain grab/chain throw shenanigans...but it appears we're stuck in the same boat as we where before, only there's no Guest Hint Coast Guard coming to save us this time. ._.

Well, we'll have to make do with what we have...Panda said the guest "didn't get around to it", which probably means that the person is too busy to do it, though they do know they were asked to do it. Or maybe they were just lazy/forgot. <_> I doubt it's Gimpy in this respect, since he's been posting quite actively (and has posted today a couple minutes ago, in fact) and made a vid on his YT channel, so I doubt he would be the guest (which semi-eliminates Sheik). If anyone notices that a pro player that mains one of the remaining characters (that has a chain grab/throw) has been inactive or has gone to a lot of tournaments recently, especially if they're in the SBR, tell us to help figure this out...

Anyways, my opinion on the most likely candidates for this hint :

1. ZSS - Has a punishible chaingrab, and fits more than the other chain grab character.
2. Sheik - Her side b "throws" out a "chain". Most immediate character you think of when thinking of the chain throw group.
3. PT - Has a punishible chaingrab, but it is not as practical as ZSS'.
4. Olimar - "Throws" a "chain" of Pikmin. A bit of a stretch on the "chain throw" idea, and not as fitting as Sheik.

Snail

Smash Lord
Olimar has an actual chaingrab on fastfalling characters like Captain Falcon, so he's still possible.

Why are you leaving this hint here for the week? A good hint should only have one possible option, not four :/

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Olimar has an actual chaingrab on fastfalling characters like Captain Falcon, so he's still possible.

Why are you leaving this hint here for the week? A good hint should only have one possible option, not four :/
Olimar's chaingrab is not/not as punishible as Zamus', it was agreed on awhile ago in the thread.

He's still a candidate for "chain throw", though. ;d

And, well, we kinda have to make our own judgement and pick the character which is most likely. That would be a HELL of a lot easier if we knew whether it was chain grab/chain throw, so we also have to snoop around and use info outside of the hint to figure it out (i.e. the guest has been busy, so if the best Zamus has been going to a lot of tourney's and hasn't posted a lot, we can sort of imply that they were the guest, and thus...yeah.)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was going to say D3, but he's already been mentioned. Sheik, ZSS and possibly DK. Okay, it's not really a chaingrab, but it can be done. I think Kirby has been mentioned. But if not it could be him.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
People, OS already said that "chain throw" is interchangeable with "chain grab" here. This means it's not Sheik. So we have characters with chain throws:

Peach
PT
Olimar
Wario
ZSS

Of these, only ZSS's grab is really punishable. All of the other ones have really short grabs by comparison.

I'm kinda disappointed that the SBR can't put out a better hint for her. Not to mention they've kicked out the only real ZSS main in the SBR on a character where he's probably most likely to have the most to say.

Top Bottom