• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
But it can still be considered a throw. :/ They jab their arm out quite vigorously when they zair, Toon Link especially.
The explanation for this, is gameplay.
If they didn't whip it out all fast-like, they would have horrible grabs.
Plus, they're not throwing the chain, they would be "throwing" the hookshot until they shoot it, then the chain shoots out.
Here's where you confuse me. ._. You throw out a whole bunch of reasons as to why Link/Toon Link doesn't have a chain (and therefore, means it is not Sheik), and yet you guessed Sheik a page back. Unless you were just kidding back then , or gloating for lulz now, I'm not sure what to think. :/
I'm trying to prove that it's not (T)Link and, yes, Gloating for lulz.
This part also threw me off...What do you mean by this? Of course the point is to connect, that's what their grab/zair, Sheik's chain, heck, the entire point of smash is!
[/quote]
Well, Sheiks chain doesn't connect to anything, she just whips it around.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I'm trying to prove that it's not (T)Link and, yes, Gloating for lulz.
Wait...are you saying that you're trying to prove that this week's character is not Link/Toon Link?

Because they've already been done.

Link/Toon Link having a chain is relevant to the hint being Sheik because, if no other character in the game has a chain that they can throw (a "chain throw"), it cannot be Sheik, because the hint states that there are more than one characters that has a "chain throw".

In other words, if you do not consider Link/Toon Link's grab/zair as a chain, the hint is not Sheik.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Don't disregard the possibility of a "chain" of Pikmin.

Man, I always forget about people's UpBs (first ICs, now Olimar...).

Olimar uses both a "chain" (of Pikmin) and "throw"s them. So he does indeed fit.

Wait, doesn't that mean it could be Olimar now?

EDIT: Know what, we're reading too much into this. It's pretty insane we've gotten 5 pages of discussion out of a teaser hint. It just seems like too much. It's most likely exactly what is meant, a chaingrab, meaning it's most likely Zamus.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
nubs theres only 5 possible options

^ although I doubt because his hint is obviously: More Spammy than Metaknight

^ it's always Yoshi

No way in hell it's anybody other than 1 of these 5.

infernovia

Smash Ace
All characters we do from now on, are "later" ones...
Well, I suppose we are in the last 1/3rd of the cast. But I doubt PT will be called anytime soon. I suppose chillin is there to help out but... well... there isn't much that developed PT's metagame.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Just posting to say that it has to be Shiek.
Toon Link and Link are done.
You don't understand either. <_>

It doesn't matter if Link/Toon Link are done. What matters is whether or not their grab/zair is considered a chain. If it is not considered a chain, then it could not be Sheik, because the hint stated that there were a few characters with a "chain throw", and Sheik was the only one. If Link and Toon Link were counted, however, then she would be applicable to the teaser.

However, that no longer matters, as we've realized Olimar also has a "chain throw", making Sheik applicable, with or without Link/Toon Link. The problem is, Olimar is still a possible candidate for the hint, so it wasn't as clearcut as it would have been. :/

But as I said, we're reading too deep into this.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Update #24: ?????

9/15/08

I'm waiting for a guest hint this week, so in the meantime enjoy this hint teaser here:

This character has one of the few legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly.
It's Sheik. Her side-b causes her to throw a chain. This is "legitimate" because it is technically 'chain throwing', it's "hard to land" because it comes out pretty slow, and it's "easy to get punished" because it only hits in the front and it withdraws slowly. All of these reasons is the same reason why you didn't see it in high levels of Melee. Good try SBR.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Oli's chain is punishable in several senses. If you do it wrong, the opponent can prevent recovery. if you miss from the ground, you can be attacked. I find it an easy thing to hit with, though...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I swear, this time it's Olimar. Many people don't even know he has a chaingrab, lol. That's why the sbr chose this hint. ^__^

edit: crud, it's sheik...V

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
It's Sheik. Her side-b causes her to throw a chain. This is "legitimate" because it is technically 'chain throwing', it's "hard to land" because it comes out pretty slow, and it's "easy to get punished" because it only hits in the front and it withdraws slowly. All of these reasons is the same reason why you didn't see it in high levels of Melee. Good try SBR.
Good job retyping up what I just said.

P.S. Sir Bedevere, it says legitimate chain throwing. Not automatic chain throwing. :)

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Good job retyping up what I just said.

P.S. Sir Bedevere, it says legitimate chain throwing. Not automatic chain throwing. :)
...Automatic chain throwing? What the hell does that mean? o_O

If you're trying to counter the Olimar "chain throw" argument, you'll be hard-pressed to do so without disproving Sheik as well. As you said, legitimate means "actual". Olimar is "actually" "throw"ing his "chain" of Pikmin, just as Sheik is. At this point in time, it's near impossible to determine whether or not it's Olimar or Sheik based on this little teaser alone.

By the way, you didn't "just" say what BBQ reworded. It was at least 2 pages ago.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I mean that they're not legitimately throwing the chain out, it comes out of a little slot or something. Hard to explain, but you get my point.

And yeah, he could've at least read 2-3 pages back before repeating what everybody had just said...

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I mean that they're not legitimately throwing the chain out, it comes out of a little slot or something. Hard to explain, but you get my point.
...No, I don't get it. >_> Olimar doesn't have a "slot". His Pikmin jump forward into his hand, form a chain, and he throws the chain upwards. That fits the criteria of a "chain throw".

EDIT: V And you better not be serious, Ace. :laugh:

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
...Automatic chain throwing? What the hell does that mean? o_O

If you're trying to counter the Olimar "chain throw" argument, you'll be hard-pressed to do so without disproving Sheik as well. As you said, legitimate means "actual". Olimar is "actually" "throw"ing his "chain" of Pikmin, just as Sheik is. At this point in time, it's near impossible to determine whether or not it's Olimar or Sheik based on this little teaser alone.

By the way, you didn't "just" say what BBQ reworded. It was at least 2 pages ago.
So you're saying that the 5 question marks hold no ground whatsoever in this? Because I'm sure that's another reason why people are saying it's Sheik.

Sheik = 5 letters
Olimar = 6 letters

Of course, that could have just been a random amount of question marks, but why 5 instead of the usual 3?

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Let's go back and see something so we might not go off topic

This character has one of the FEW legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly.
Few. One of the few legitimate chainthrows.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Let's go back and see something so we might not go off topic

Few. One of the few legitimate chainthrows.
Olimar and Sheik are more than one character. A few is more than one. Therefore, Olimar and Sheik are one of the few legitimate characters with "chain throws". It's been discussed, man. :/

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Well yeah, it's either Olimar or Sheik. Possibly even Tink, depending on how many beers SamuraiPanda guzzled down before writing the "teaser" hint. I take my "100 % sure it's Sheik" comment back. :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think it's possibly Peach. She does have a D-throw chaingrab that ends in a F-tilt on some of the cast.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Heh, its gonna be Olimar if the guest hint mentions anything about the character's third hit on the jab having a huge hitbox...

I actually killed a puffy blowhog like that, abusing the ability of the final jab to hit aerial opponents...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hmm. aren't all CGs 'legitimate'? lol.

"This character has one of the few legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly."

just gonna post this here as a reference in case if they delete this when replacing it with the real hint.

EDIT: ^^^^ AHH!!! I SEE WHY THEY SAID chain THROW instead of Chain grab! lol ya shiek's side b. another trick question :) we solved it already lol. but dont say shiek, shh... they might see we guessed her and change the answer/hint to someone else lol. and thats why it says legitimate. a real chain lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Er... I'm gonna go ahead and help you guys.

Chain grab would also work here. :\

Top Bottom