• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
It could also be Charizard...
No. There is no chainthrow charizard has except a grab release on Ness. And I doubt "one of the few legitimate chainthrows in the game" counts that. -_-;;

What Demenise mentioned earlier is wrong. I've never heard of it, I then searched high and low and found no information for such thing. Then I just tested it, and it's not a true chainthrow at all. -_-;;

Snail

Smash Lord
Probably ZSS yeah, seeing how Olimar's and Peach's chainthrows aren't hard to set up/easy to punish :/

I'll wait for the full hint before I do a real guess though (:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I see no reason, why it shouldn't be 'Zard. The word "legitimate" is very vaguely used here...

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
It could also be Charizard...
I just went to the PT boards and searched though their ATs. There was no mention of chainthrows.

I thought so too (only because of Demenise) but he either lied, was misinformed, or was talking about the grab release he has on one character (Ness, the poor lad), which does not count as a chain throw (or, at least, we aren't counting it).

Check the link Xiivi posted. It has all the charcters who can chain throw listed. ZSS, Olimar, and Peach are the only characters on that list that don't have grab releases or tech chases listed as their chain grab, or were done already.

EDIT: I'm late to reply as usual. <_>

Legitimate as Panda used it didn't seem to be just thrown in for fun. Besides, he said "chain throw". A grab release isn't a throw.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I'm still not convinced. Giving such an obvious hint...just as a teaser?
Lawl, that's why I said this:

My only hope is that "chain throw" is a play on words, like, Sheik "throws" her "chain", so she would fit the teaser. Though that's more whimsical reasoning than anything.

Or, maybe the teaser is fake.
I'm starting to smell BS...

Toby.

Smash Master
*Puts on serious hat*

No, Demenise is correct on this one. You probably didn't find anything on the boards because we discussed it quite some time ago. Nevertheless, its there.

There was a great hubbub because the bthrow->fthrow could be chained to a fair or dair, making for some sweet 0-deaths.

It only works on low %s (maybe only 0?)

Ivysaur can also chain two fthrows from 0. Same with squirtle. It's likely that all three of these were not even submotted to Ulevo's thread simply because the PT board is lazy. Or we all thought somebody else would do it. It is most definitely a chainthrow, though.

I think you guys are forgetting about my analysis a few pages back. Regardless of this chain throw business, there is no question that the character is PT. The original clue was so elaborate yet PT specific that it only makes sense for it to be him.

Sorry ZSS mainers :(

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
SamuraiPanda said:
This character has one of the few legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly.
That's my chain throw you're talking about there bub.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I did not lie or misinform you about Charizard. The thread is quite a few pages back, yes, but it's existant. Basically, at very low percents, front and back throws can chain, due to his incredible grab range. Yes, it's entirely situational. However, it's existant. That list stating all of the chain throws hasn't been updated for a long time. Plus, the hint is very vague; mostly, it's saying that it's a true chainthrow, which this is. It's also saying that it's hard to do, which is true, for you must get the grab at very low percents, which can be difficult if the opponent knows it's coming. Also, if you miss it (which is very probable,) you just did a running grab right in front of your opponent. Prepare to get hit.

I'll try to find the thread a little later if I have time.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
A Challenger Appears
Vids pls. Or, someone trustworthy go out and test it (my tech skill sucks, I probably couldn't do it...) and report back. Heck, a link to the thread discussing this would be dandy.

I really find it unlikely, though, that something as metagame-boosting as a chain throw ( a 0-death one, at that) would not be mentioned in an AT thread. Especially when that character is low on the tier list (and when the specific AT thread mentions "short hopping" as an AT...>_> It's even worse on the Ness boards...).

Hopefully, in actuality, you didn't put on a troll hat and I've just been, well...:(

I trust you. <3

EDIT: And lawl, Millar, we have the same mindset.

My only hope is that "chain throw" is a play on words, like, Sheik "throws" her "chain", so she would fit the teaser. Though that's more whimsical reasoning than anything.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Vids pls. Or, someone trustworthy go out and test it (my tech skill sucks, I probably couldn't do it...) and report back. Heck, a link to the thread discussing this would be dandy.

I really find it unlikely, though, that something as metagame-boosting as a chain throw ( a 0-death one, at that) would not be mentioned in an AT thread. Especially when that character is low on the tier list (and when the specific AT thread mentions "short hopping" as an AT...>_> It's even worse on the Ness boards...).

Hopefully, in actuality, you didn't put on a troll hat and I've just been, well...:(

I trust you. <3

EDIT: And lawl, Millar, we have the same mindset.
Not a 0-Death one. One that you can only do when your opponent is at 0%. :p

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
There was a great hubbub because the bthrow->fthrow could be chained to a fair or dair, making for some sweet 0-deaths.
Tcranter said it. :/

He probably didn't mean it as an inescapable, but PT, being an underused character, can probably pull this off due to the surprise factor.

Callumm

Smash Rookie
Gotta be Shiek, since she throws a chain. Or Jigglypuff, because it will be one of these days.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Yeah, Charizard can Bthrow to re-grab from 0%. Sometimes you get it again just because your opponent doesn't think its coming or whatever. The "0-death STRING" is Bthrow, Fthrow off the edge, and then Dair.

Squirtle and Ivysaur can do this to a degree on some other characters with Fthrow. Not as effectively as Charizard.

I've been waiting for the PT discussion forever. =(

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Actually yeah, it's not ZSS or PT.

It's Sheik. Taking a quick glance, SamuraiPanda says "chaingrab" or "CG". In the post he says chain throw. Silly tricks, silly tricks.

EDIT: I just noticed SamuraiPanda used my summary on Mewtwo in the front post. <3

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Actually yeah, it's not ZSS or PT.

It's Sheik. Taking a quick glance, SamuraiPanda says "chaingrab" or "CG". In the post he says chain throw. Silly tricks, silly tricks.
It's a chain of throws. Chain grab is just a silly way of saying it. You can't chain grabs together without throwing. You can chain throws together. You actually accomplish something by doing that.

I still say Pokemon Trainer, but considering that Pokemon Trainer and Shiek are two of my favorites, I'd be happy either way.

Edit: Also, he says one of the few legitimate chainthrows in the game. That means that there's more than one, and since only Shiek has an actual chain... yeah.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
That's really not what I thought you meant my chaingrab, but yes, it appears Charizard does indeed have one.

So, that means there are now 2 chars that it can be (4 if all 3 Pokemon are counted as seperate).

And 1 if it's Sheik, lolololololol.

EDIT: @ Demenise above, Link and Toon Link's grabs/zairs can be considered chains. And they do indeed throw them out (more like shoot them, really...).

As I've said, it really is just wishful thinking. I really hope that we haven't been reduced to 2/4 characters before the full hint is even up.

EDIT2: Wow, I said really a lot of times...was it really necessary? :/

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Haha, I'm guessing Sheik as well.

P.S. Guys, notice how it says legitimate. You're actually throwing your chain, it's meant to be a replacement for the word "actual" or "literal." Also, it is hard to land and it can definitely be punished if not used correctly.

100 % sure it's Sheik.

M@v

Subarashii!
Haha, I'm guessing Sheik as well.

P.S. Guys, notice how it says legitimate. You're actually throwing your chain, it's meant to be a replacement for the word "actual" or "literal." Also, it is hard to land and it can definitely be punished if not used correctly.

100 % sure it's Sheik.
until that guest hint comes and suggests otherwise, I agree with you on this one.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
This is certainly either Sheik (regarding throwing out her chain as a "chain throw"), or ZSS (she can chainthrow many characters, but her grab is THE WORST in terms of speed in the game. It's very easily dodged and has like 2 full seconds of lag, at least).

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Restating to provoke discussion:

Edit: Also, he says one of the few legitimate chainthrows in the game. That means that there's more than one, and since only Shiek has an actual chain... yeah.
Link and Toon Link's grabs/zairs can be considered chains. And they do indeed throw them out (more like shoot them, really...).
It being Sheik depends entirely on your opinion (or rather, Panda's opinion/twisted way of thinking, I should say) on whether or not you consider Link and Toon Link's grab/zair a chain, as well as them "throwing" their hookshot. Because, as far as I can recall, no other character, aside from Sheik and the possibility of Link and Toon Link, have anything that even resembles a chain (Samus/Zamus are close, but it's more of a whip/grapple than anything).

I'm personally on this fence on this one, so, uh...convince me. <_>

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
IC's belay also involves a chain, I think. But yeah, I'm thinking Shiek unless they haven't done Falco yet.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
IC's belay also involves a chain, I think. But yeah, I'm thinking Shiek unless they haven't done Falco yet.

And they do indeed use it for throwing...throwing Popo that is...

>_>

<_<

Sheik for Hint #24, unless chain throw means chaingrab.

though, they aren't actually throwing the chain...Nana just jumps really high and pulls Popo along with her. No real throwing involved.

I still want something out of Link/Toon Link having chains. >_>

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Tink and Link have hook/clawshots, which are spring-loaded.
The chain "shoots" more than they throw it.
There fore, it could be considered one of the "not-legitimate" ones.

Also, I thought ICs used a sort of bungee cord.
Chains dont seem as likely for ice climbing (or mountain jumping, lol).
But what do I know, I've only been right the last THREE TIMES.
Oh, I'm so good.
EDIT:
Plus, (T)Link doesn't just have a chain, there is a claw (or Spearhead) at the end of it.
Wouldn't you just be shooting the claw/spearhead with a chain as a means of connecting it?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
After 20+ characters people are getting way too good at this.
It's because we're guessing to win.

Tink and Link have hook/clawshots, which are spring-loaded.
The chain "shoots" more than they throw it.
There fore, it could be considered one of the "not-legitimate" ones.
But it can still be considered a throw. :/ They jab their arm out quite vigorously when they zair, Toon Link especially.

Also, I thought ICs used a sort of bungee cord.
Chains dont seem as likely for ice climbing (or mountain jumping, lol).
Yeah, it's most likely one of those tether lines that's used for mountain climbing. ICs probably aren't considered to have chains.

But what do I know, I've only been right the last THREE TIMES.
Oh, I'm so good.
Here's where you confuse me. ._. You throw out a whole bunch of reasons as to why Link/Toon Link doesn't have a chain (and therefore, means it is not Sheik), and yet you guessed Sheik a page back. Unless you were just kidding back then , or gloating for lulz now, I'm not sure what to think. :/

EDIT:
Plus, (T)Link doesn't just have a chain, there is a claw (or Spearhead) at the end of it.
Wouldn't you just be shooting the claw/spearhead with a chain as a means of connecting it?
This part also threw me off...What do you mean by this? Of course the point is to connect, that's what their grab/zair, Sheik's chain, heck, the entire point of smash is!

Top Bottom