• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

AlexX

Smash Ace
Well, at least I was right in that it wasn't Ike...

Also 500th page post~

Toby.

Smash Master
Hahaha, nice. But I think it was just a coincidence.
It's all part of their plan. We can't dismiss a single word they say. What can we learn from this "Hint Soon" that they speak of? Lets break it down.

"Hint Soon". Now if we add some letters (chosen by a complex by ultimately arbitrary equation) we get Dint Spoon. Let's break it down even further. If we do a random dictionary search on google we find out that dint refers to:

1 archaic : Blow, Stroke
2: Force, Power
3: Dent

— by dint of : by force of : because of <succeeded by dint of hard work>

How is this relevent to the next character? You see, all the definitions are in fact relevent to one character alone...Pokemon Trainer.

1. Archaic - Clearly squirtle, as a water pokemon, is as old as things get. Descended from the first creatures to have inhabited the earth, squirtle is the definition of archaic. He is also a turtle, which is a thinly veiled reference to the Great A'Tuin. Great A'Tuin is very old indeed, which is unquestionable proof of this connection.

Blow

Valid for a number of reasons. First and foremost if we take a looksie at the Tier List and Ankoku's Character Rankings Thread we can see that blow is a wonderful way in which to complete the sentence "Gee, Pokemon Trainer really _______s"

Edit: Of course us PT mains know that he's actually god tier at least. Clearly the SBR forgot to factor that into their clue though. /Edit

Secondly, 'blow' is clearly a direct reference to a distinct minority who wished that squirtle could blow bubbles (aka "Bubble" or "Bubblebeam" from das pokemanz) rather than hide in his shell.

Stroke

Another thinly veiled link to water gun. What do we think when we hear stroke? Two stroke motors. Motors in what? Lawn mowers. What do lawn mowers run on? Fuel. Fuel is a liquid. Water gun is also a liquid.

The links couldn't be any clearer, but for the benefit of the community I'll continue.

Obviously these are both related to Charizard. Rock smash does 43% if you hit correctly. 43%! His other smashes and tilts are also quite exceptional, though fsmash is slower than bingo night (zing?).

Before we move on, though, let us pause and examine this "Force" on a deeper level. Now all you physics people out there will know that Force = Mass x Acceleration. Lets ignore that rule for the moment and assume that by force they are talking about knockback.

Both Squirtle and Charizard have an interesting quality in their dthrow. Both of their dthrows have the most knockback. Both of them, however, do the least damage of all their throws. Now we see why mentioning Force as well as Power was so vital to the clue. Ingenious.

This one is a real doozy. The secret lies in doing another search for the specific meaning of Dent. Upon doing this we reach two stunning definitions.

1: a depression or hollow made by a blow or by pressure
2: an appreciable impression or effect often made against resistance <hasn't made a dent in the problem> ; specifically : a weakening or lessening effect <costs that have made a dent in the budget>

Now I know that all of you will be screaming out "Ivysaur!" upon reading these and let me tell you straight up: you're absolutely correct. But first we must continue to break it down (ah, a recurring bad joke...excellent)

The key section to look at is the second one. There has been strong resistance to the godlike power of ivysaur due to the tiny, irrelevent detail that is her tether recovery. As such many members of SWF believe that ivysuar simply can't make a dent on the tournament scene, especially against uber hax gimpers such as metaknight.

"a weakening or lessening effect" is also a poignant statement on fatigure... the eternal struggle between the pokemon and their own fitness, which seems to be equal to that of an ailing pensioner.

Finally we reach the most important piece of the puzzle, the second part of the key phrase

Spoon.
I believe this video will explain everything.

Case Closed.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's all part of their plan. We can't dismiss a single word they say. What can we learn from this "Hint Soon" that they speak of? Lets break it down.

"Hint Soon". Now if we add some letters (chosen by a complex by ultimately arbitrary equation) we get Dint Spoon. Let's break it down even further. If we do a random dictionary search on google we find out that dint refers to:

1 archaic : Blow, Stroke

— by dint of : by force of : because of <succeeded by dint of hard work>

How is this relevent to the next character? You see, all the definitions are in fact relevent to one character alone...Pokemon Trainer.

1. Archaic - Clearly squirtle, as a water pokemon, is as old as things get. Descended from the first creatures to have inhabited the earth, squirtle is the definition of archaic. He is also a turtle, which is a thinly veiled reference to the Great A'Tuin. Great A'Tuin is very old indeed, which is unquestionable proof of this connection.

Blow

Valid for a number of reasons. First and foremost if we take a looksie at the Tier List and Ankoku's Character Rankings Thread we can see that blow is a wonderful way in which to complete the sentence "Gee, Pokemon Trainer really _______s"

Edit: Of course us PT mains know that he's actually god tier at least. Clearly the SBR forgot to factor that into their clue though. /Edit

Secondly, 'blow' is clearly a direct reference to a distinct minority who wished that squirtle could blow bubbles (aka "Bubble" or "Bubblebeam" from das pokemanz) rather than hide in his shell.

Stroke

Another thinly veiled link to water gun. What do we think when we hear stroke? Two stroke motors. Motors in what? Lawn mowers. What do lawn mowers run on? Fuel. Fuel is a liquid. Water gun is also a liquid.

The links couldn't be any clearer, but for the benefit of the community I'll continue.

Obviously these are both related to Charizard. Rock smash does 43% if you hit correctly. 43%! His other smashes and tilts are also quite exceptional, though fsmash is slower than bingo night (zing?).

Before we move on, though, let us pause and examine this "Force" on a deeper level. Now all you physics people out there will know that Force = Mass x Acceleration. Lets ignore that rule for the moment and assume that by force they are talking about knockback.

Both Squirtle and Charizard have an interesting quality in their dthrow. Both of their dthrows have the most knockback. Both of them, however, do the least damage of all their throws. Now we see why mentioning Force as well as Power was so vital to the clue. Ingenious.

This one is a real doozy. The secret lies in doing another search for the specific meaning of Dent. Upon doing this we reach two stunning definitions.

1: a depression or hollow made by a blow or by pressure
2: an appreciable impression or effect often made against resistance <hasn't made a dent in the problem> ; specifically : a weakening or lessening effect <costs that have made a dent in the budget>

Now I know that all of you will be screaming out "Ivysaur!" upon reading these and let me tell you straight up: you're absolutely correct. But first we must continue to break it down (ah, a recurring bad joke...excellent)

The key section to look at is the second one. There has been strong resistance to the godlike power of ivysaur due to the tiny, irrelevent detail that is her tether recovery. As such many members of SWF believe that ivysuar simply can't make a dent on the tournament scene, especially against uber hax gimpers such as metaknight.

"a weakening or lessening effect" is also a poignant statement on fatigure... the eternal struggle between the pokemon and their own fitness, which seems to be equal to that of an ailing pensioner.

Finally we reach the most important piece of the puzzle, the second part of the key phrase

Spoon.
I believe this video will explain everything.

Case Closed.
The SBR should just give no hint, and change their discussion to PT just because of this post. GJ

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
...Really? After all these posts, after one week, you think it's PT? All right then.

Anyway, way to figure it out too quickly. A lot more fun could have been had. Although I see that the hint STILL mindgamed people even though the trick was discovered.

Play Ice Climber for the NES. Or don't, considering it sucks.
It's better than Mario Bros.(1983). You should play that game next. Take your time with the hint.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Waiting on a guest hint this week. Just so you guys have something to nibble on, I updated with a tiny hint teaser.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Legit chain throws, huh?

Hmm...I don't know about the other missing characters, but Peach can chaingrab some of th cast with her downthrow (especially the spacies). Yeah, it's not a super effective CG, but it's still one.

In fact, the only Chain grabbers left are ZSS and Peach.

(lols if someone guesses it before the real hint).

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
This character has one of the few legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly.
So yeah...legitimate chainthrow makes it sound as if we can take grab releases out of the question.

So what does that leave us with who hasn't been covered?

Peach, Olimar, and ZSS? lol

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
it might not be so easy. coule be refering to something else, perhaps a different game. perhaps they will describe the melee char (if they were from melee)
No..........please no. It would be totally irrelevant if the hint used Melee's characters' traits.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
It's ZSS.

Legitimate chainthrows eliminates those with grab releases (although the big ones like Bowser and Yoshi have already been done anyway).

Also, for those who think it's a different game, it's not. In Melee it's easier to name the characters without a chainthrow, and SamuraispacePanda pointed out that there were only a few legitimate ones in this game. So it's easily Brawl.

So you really only have Olimar, Peach, and ZSS to choose from.

I would hardly say Olimar's and Peach's chainthrows are punishable if messed up, or hard to set up.

ZSS's is.

End.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have to agree, but it's kinda disappointing... I had hoped to get a more in-depth hint for ZSS so we could get an insight into what they are talking about.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
It's Charizard. He does have a chaingrab, though it's quite situational. It takes quick reactions to dash from the grab, and needs near perfect spacing. If he misses, it'll count as a dashing grab, which , since you're bringing yourself to the opponent, can be punished dearly.

Charizard.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He does have one but it only works twice or something.

I doubt, that it's Peach or ZSS...I'd rather wait for the "true" hint. This one is so obvious...something can't be right...

Edit: Wait...isn't Warios dthrow chainable too?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord

Wait, have we already correctly guessed the character, before the actual, full hint was put up?

This is worse than last hint. <_>

My only hope is that "chain throw" is a play on words, like, Sheik "throws" her "chain", so she would fit the teaser. Though that's more whimsical reasoning than anything.

Or, maybe the teaser is fake.

EDIT: Or, maybe it's Charizard.

EDIT2: Or, maybe not.

Anyways, remaining character roster has been updated.

Top Bottom