• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
All the games played on stream yesterday have been highlighted and uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelbourneMelee/videos
Melee Singles:

1: dekar
2: redact
3: splice
4: joey
5: cal
5: timic
7: max
7: miles
9: codie
9: pcg
9: moxie
9: vincent
13: attila
13: jkts
13: jei
13: matt g
17: ktmfinx\
17: tommy
17: hughie
17: slop
17: marcada
17: cup
17: dom hynes
17: dreadtech
25: sadistic
25: downer
25: DJ
25: nitten
25: 2+
25: dylan
25: nano hologuise
25: crisp
33: bryce
33: juci
33: deeks
33: milton
33: flog
33: matt c
33: dmg2

Melee Doubles:

1) Nano hologuise and Dekar
2) Hughie and Matt
3) Cup and Moxie
4) Jei and Viva
5) Tommy and Vincent
5) Miles and PCG
7) Jesse and Sadistic
7) 1zua and Chris
9) Cam and Jord
9) Slop and Flog
9) Max and Juci
9) marcada and DJ
13) Deeks and Nitten
13) 2+ and Doozy

PM Singles:

1: dekar
2: redact
3: cal
4: jamwa
5: attila
5: jei
7: timic
7: moxie
9: matt g
9: max
9: vincent
9: milton
13: plasia
13: hughie
13: dylan
13: tabs
17: ktmfinx\
17: crisp
17: dom hynes
17: dreadtech
17: jkts
17: tommy
17: joey
17: drop
25: slamdunk
25: cup
25: kubu
25: Nano hologuise
25: jord
25: sadistic
25: 2+
25: cam
33: golden reign

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
Like, since I don't play the game, I can sit down and handle the bracket for the entirety of the game. If someone else could handle running around making sure matches were being played it should run really smoothly. And it'd be great if people would report results. Last time I did this the bracket fell behind because of results going unreported.

Hughie

Smash Lad
There wasn't at all a purple GC controller with a monkey sticker near the start button and Mighty Boosh stickers on the back of the c-stick and dpad left at the venue? I can't seem to find it at my place (I'm stupid and forget where I put **** all the time) but if someone picked it up could they tell me?

ViVa

Smash Ace
Viva and I came 4th <3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There wasn't at all a purple GC controller with a monkey sticker near the start button and Mighty Boosh stickers on the back of the c-stick and dpad left at the venue? I can't seem to find it at my place (I'm stupid and forget where I put **** all the time) but if someone picked it up could they tell me?
Attila has taken it hostage. Fortunately his hideout is at the CW venue so it shouldn't be difficult to retrieve.
Also whoever uses an orange controller with an eggsecutor sticker on it has to fight attila to get their stuff back too. Team up with Hughie to make the fight easier.

Splice

Smash Hero
I'm guessing none of our sets were recorded?

Oh no I see you uploaded me getting #rekt.
Can you upload the entirety of the first set pl0x, privately at least so I can czech it out?

p.s that edgeguard...

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Theres 1001 people who are willing to commentate and sit at the desk. What is actually needed is people who will make matches happen without one of us long time TOs holding your hand while doing it. We need people to look at the bracket, determine what matches need to be played, and then go make them happen. Then as soon as you make that happen you look at the next game and you keep making them happen. We want people who are willing to actually take ownership and get it done.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I'm also not completely sold on the idea of someone who has never TO'd before suddenly TOing the largest smash tournament in Australia's history. These things are pretty stressful, and if the TO doesn't keep cool or have the ability to control people, the tournament ends in shambles.

Also, commentating at SS is to be delegated prior to a select group. This will help avoid confusion.

We need more bracket runners. I literally had no one willing to do this at BAM.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'm also not completely sold on the idea of someone who has never TO'd before suddenly TOing the largest smash tournament in Australia's history. These things are pretty stressful, and if the TO doesn't keep cool or have the ability to control people, the tournament ends in shambles.

Also, commentating at SS is to be delegated prior to a select group. This will help avoid confusion.

That's exactly it, if people want to help we are not looking for someone to sit at the desk or for more people to commentate, what we need are bracket/pool runners.

S.D

Smash Master
People are getting better at following up their own matches imo, just the really new kids don't know about it.
If we have pool sergeants that sorts that (1 pool leader that makes **** happen) then for bracket it's just a matter of people being willing to help make stuff happen. Everyone needs to make themselves useful.

Attila PM me/Joey about commentary delegation.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
People are getting better at following up their own matches imo, just the really new kids don't know about it.
If we have pool sergeants that sorts that (1 pool leader that makes **** happen) then for bracket it's just a matter of people being willing to help make stuff happen. Everyone needs to make themselves useful.

Attila PM me/Joey about commentary delegation.
It's the exact opposite right now in all honesty, somehow I am having trouble with heaps of old school smashers not playing their games unless they're a TO. Regardless people suck at organizing their own stuff thats why we need runners to make people play their games.

Last edited:

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Well I don't know how feasible this is or is not, but, if the aforementioned runners do eventuate, why don't you number all the tvs and assign matches to tvs? After playing a lot of competitive magic I've seen such a system done well. Like I know this sounds like more work, but we could have say a whiteboard? with a list of numbers and write up matches on the whiteboard, a lot of the time the problem is people not knowing who their playing or not knowing the face of the person their playing. You walk up see your match is on tv 6 then you go sit down on tv 6 hopefully next to the person you're playing.

You could even (as the tournament goes deeper) designate friendlies tvs to eliminate confusion about whether matches are tournament matches and eliminate the need to be kicking people off all the time.

It's crazy I'd forgotten how player driven smash was, and without some sort of designated system it makes communication hard. But at magic we are given set tables, and a grace period of 5 minutes whereupon you are handed a game loss and another 5 which is a match loss.

S.D

Smash Master
Stations will be labelled at SS which should alleviate some confusion.
Last CW I went to every time I went to assign matches to TV the correct tournament matches were already being played so idk whats going on.

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
Well I don't know how feasible this is or is not, but, if the aforementioned runners do eventuate, why don't you number all the tvs and assign matches to tvs? After playing a lot of competitive magic I've seen such a system done well. Like I know this sounds like more work, but we could have say a whiteboard? with a list of numbers and write up matches on the whiteboard, a lot of the time the problem is people not knowing who their playing or not knowing the face of the person their playing. You walk up see your match is on tv 6 then you go sit down on tv 6 hopefully next to the person you're playing.

You could even (as the tournament goes deeper) designate friendlies tvs to eliminate confusion about whether matches are tournament matches and eliminate the need to be kicking people off all the time.

It's crazy I'd forgotten how player driven smash was, and without some sort of designated system it makes communication hard. But at magic we are given set tables, and a grace period of 5 minutes whereupon you are handed a game loss and another 5 which is a match loss.
That sound pretty good, but the hard part imo would be getting people to follow that, though it would be easier i think. Whiteboard, or maybe idk if this would be possible but having TIO on a projector or something might be a good alternative if we're at a large venue that has one.

Friendlies TVs would be really good, and maybe adding some rule about no friendlies involving player involved in a bracket while the bracket is on...?

ViVa

Smash Ace
I'll just be entering brawl events so I should have time to help with running pools and brackets. Do we know if we'll have access to anything like a loudspeaker? Would be nice for TOs to be able to yell at everybody from the bracket laptop more easily. Willing to help running brackets at the tournaments before SSV as well.

Meredy

The Busterina

If it makes you feel any better I TO'd for the last CW tournaments while Dave played his matches and I'll be helping out quite a bit for the next RMIT tournament.

S.D

Smash Master
I'll just be entering brawl events so I should have time to help with running pools and brackets. Do we know if we'll have access to anything like a loudspeaker? Would be nice for TOs to be able to yell at everybody from the bracket laptop more easily. Willing to help running brackets at the tournaments before SSV as well.
There's usually a mic/PA but it's so loud at the venue people rarely hear/respond to it. Tracking them down in person tends to be the only effective strategy.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Would it be possible to get our hands on that text message thing some of the American TOs were using?
Doubt it would help anyway, In the situations where I have needed to call people, they don't answer their phones. If they can't answer the phone, what hope does a text message have of making anything get done on time?

Aus gonna get stomped by 5 minute 1 game dq 10 minute set loss dq

Juci

Smash Apprentice
designated maccas runner? People are gonna learn for next time at least if they get dq'd

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, I want to apologise to other "old school smashers" whose name I dragged through mud. When I went to get lunch I was told it was only a 5 minute walk but I should have known better. I did not purposely take a long lunch break because I knew I could get away with it, but due to not knowing the area it ended up way longer than I thought. None of it was malicious in intent. And yes Phil did contact me, but my phone was silent which again is my fault.

Secondly, I will apologise to Phil because I do appreciate the fact that he was lenient towards me and I have absolutely no complaints about his TOing whatsoever. I also understand that he has had a rough time into the day.

Anyways despite all this I was quite upset which affected me the entire day. After 7 years of attending tourneys I have never ever really shown this much anger and frustration, every match I played took a toll on me and made me into a complete asshole so apologies to those who I played.

Phil the reason I was upset was not because I thought I was in the right or anything. I was having a **** day, turning up at 12 and seeing that doors weren't open and TOs weren't there to start doubles made me sour because I didn't have lunch. After I came back from a long frustrating walk I felt guilty so I played my PM match, but then after I asked if I could eat and get a yes from people in front of me. I go to eat and timic comes telling me I have a match? I get confused and tell him I already started eating and that I was told I could. But then you came up to me saying that I had to play. And the way you treated me really made me felt like ****. I was getting guilt tripped by things I knew were correct but the way you came across made me really lash out for the first time since I've known you. And during the start of my PM match you came back and started saying why I should be grateful and stuff? Just threw me off the end.

I wasn't going to post anything but reading your posts clearly targetting me or others who were dragged through it really made me feel like I needed to apologise and justify myself. These two days have been really hard on me mentally because I felt like the one day I openly lashed out no one could forgive or empathise with me for it. Let alone even some of my closer friends in the smash scene.

Once again I apologise to those whose reputations I hurt, and to you Phil, I more than understand TOs have it hard which is why I have never gone near it, and have always tried to follow the rules as much as I could. I just felt that 1 bad day and suddenly you posting on smash boards clearly calling me out in that bitter tone rather than talking to me about it 1 on 1 was a bit saddening.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
DW Vince we've all at one point or another been a long lunch culprit, you just bore the brunt of years of frustration that was never before taken out.

Basically, you are Jesus, taking a hit for our collective sins.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Well that escalated quickly. I can't imagine Forte ever lashing out; I wouldn't have believed it if it was posted by anyone else.

At the same time, I think the reaction is a little stronger than it should be. Can't say I've ever blown up at someone for delaying a bracket I was running. And I can count on one hand the amount of times I've DQ'd someone.

I don't think this was the right way to deal with this situation, but now that it came out, let's work together to make events run smoother.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Phil didn't really blow up at me, he was just trying to explain it was reasonable I had to play etc, just the way it came across to me really got to me in the end.

Splice

Smash Hero
Reminds me of the ACL tournament where I asked if I could get KFC and got a yes and then as I arrived at the KFC 5 mins later got a call saying I'd be DQ'd if I didn't get back immediately. I decided that the colonel always wins.

The thing is TO's and our community in general have always had problems of this nature and never tried to implement a system to remedy this kind of thing, instead just crossing fingers and hoping not a single problem occurs.

Nametags, Whiteboards, Designated Setups, Strict scheduling, Lunchbreaks, are all things that we haven't really put effort into setting up. Like once all entrants are registered and you know how many TV's you have you could pretty quickly draw up a schedule for when each round of bracket should be played on the designated TV's. The way that it is, people actually have to ask TO's what's going on in order to get things done and follow rules and figure out if they have time to eat, which is a big problem and causes confusion and often poor decision making.
Thing is that we pretty much always finish our tournaments (always have this year) so there hasn't been a large need to improve, from my position as a player I don't mind how things are at all. But things could definitely be ran with more diligence and speed if those running thing are complacent with the efficiency of tournaments.
If our TO's were not entrants in the games they play I'm sure this would be too easy, but as it stands our prime TO's are the grand finalists for several events.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
If our TO's were not entrants in the games they play I'm sure this would be too easy, but as it stands our prime TO's are the grand finalists for several events.
This is really at the heart of our issues a lot of the time with both TOing and commentary/streams etc. It's tough to worry about 5 other things when you're trying to focus on winner's finals.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
on the subject of not wanting people to sit on their asses and just look at bracket, I've already told people that I'm fine with being running ***** and making people play their games. If that's what needs to be done that's what needs to be done, I did it a little already and I don't mind, I don't care what position I'm put in as long as what is needed to be done helps the bracket move along.

With the projector showing people's matches...it can help depending on how aware people are, but fat luck if they are playing friendlies and too into chatting to other people.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
in the end, the shadowloo freezer frustration brought to light important issues in the melbourne smash community regarding tournament organization. ali you genius.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
With the projector showing people's matches...it can help depending on how aware people are, but fat luck if they are playing friendlies and too into chatting to other people.
The thing is, if the information is easily available to people and it has been stressed that you must sort yourself out, there is a reasonable grounds from the TO's to DQ players.

If you displayed something like this on a projector, One section of the bracket at a time though with someone writing in the times as they go (in the event of finishing one section early), people wouldn't have an excuse. They can see if their match is in the allocated time frame and if it's not finished by the end period they will take a loss. With this information on display, not only can people play their matches without the TO's chasing up on everyone, but the TO's will have much fairer grounds to DQ people and exceptions do not need to be made for people. Additionally players can see for themselves a time fit to get food by checking if they have matches in any of the games that are running in this particular half hour period.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
yeah the point is, if you define a system which has very clear consequences dqing people isn't such a big deal. If the information is easily accessible DQing is a legitimate option.

Noxus

Smash Cadet
Reminds me of the ACL tournament where I asked if I could get KFC and got a yes and then as I arrived at the KFC 5 mins later got a call saying I'd be DQ'd if I didn't get back immediately. I decided that the colonel always wins.

The thing is TO's and our community in general have always had problems of this nature and never tried to implement a system to remedy this kind of thing, instead just crossing fingers and hoping not a single problem occurs.

Nametags, Whiteboards, Designated Setups, Strict scheduling, Lunchbreaks, are all things that we haven't really put effort into setting up. Like once all entrants are registered and you know how many TV's you have you could pretty quickly draw up a schedule for when each round of bracket should be played on the designated TV's. The way that it is, people actually have to ask TO's what's going on in order to get things done and follow rules and figure out if they have time to eat, which is a big problem and causes confusion and often poor decision making.
Thing is that we pretty much always finish our tournaments (always have this year) so there hasn't been a large need to improve, from my position as a player I don't mind how things are at all. But things could definitely be ran with more diligence and speed if those running thing are complacent with the efficiency of tournaments.
I think you bring up a good point that our prime TO's are grand finalists for several events, pondering the suggested solutions to these problems i believe other members of the community need to get good and eliminate these TO's early so they have more time to organize the tournament. Our problems will then be solved by getting better at the game.

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
I think you bring up a good point that our prime TO's are grand finalists for several events, pondering the suggested solutions to these problems i believe other members of the community need to get good and eliminate these TO's early so they have more time to organize the tournament. Our problems will then be solved by getting better at the game.
That's certainly a possible part of the solution... you may need to give me a year or so to do that though xD

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I'll be happy to help out with making sure matches are done for PM pools/bracket if it's not running concurrently with Melee events (if i'm still in them)

Top Bottom