• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I didn't realise my typo and thought you guys were being sarcastic...
It's ok man, we all make mistakes, at least it was figured out before some of us showed up on saturday lol

May still look into hosting something the week before SS if I don't get more info on this convention stuff soon, most likley including Lucky!

S.D

Smash Master
Farken jesus ****ing christ **** this **** didn't want to play anyway so both SLHQ and CW events are now Sunday exclusive?

Last edited:

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I'd probably rather a later start since I"m working till 3am saturday night and would have to drive almost an hour to get there but I'm just playing brawl and stuff so who really cares about my opinion (:

Robsta

Smash Ace
Can I just rock up and play or do I have to register?

Also where is it?

OP and Facebook event seem to be telling me different things.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if it's too far out for you, don't fret, there will be a closer couch warriors tournament 2 weeks afterwards

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
Ok so Lang Lang is close to the city?

I never looked where in Vic it is.

Well it'll be good to see ya again if its close Attila :) :)
It looks really far out, according to Google maps it is about a 70 minute drive.

There seems to be a lot of Smash players out east in general though and I imagine there is a train line into the city.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Also, I've been given the go ahead to use Shadowloo internet when I take my PC, so any meets/monthly's from now on will be streamed at
http://twitch.tv/MelbourneMelee
So share that around so we can get some views.
If I can get my PC to Shadowloo Showdown as well, this is where I'll be streaming to, if we can get internet there.

S.D

Smash Master
Props to Max for the stream - it was crispy - and good job to the ppl who sat down and ran it (cal, vince etc) it was a good look.

Also shoutouts to Billy for rekking kids. Almost knocked Phil off in a weird as **** set lol.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
worst tournament ever by far for many reasons.

First is the lack of any climate control for the place, how cold it was is just a joke and people are gonna think it's fine as soon as the cold temps pass until summer time and then its gonna just be a heat box. Even though its 10 minutes from me I'm actively going to boycott that place until it's heated/cooled because I'm actually sick now thanks to the temps there and the day itself made me feel just as horrid.

Second is people don't seem to know what it means when they ask us they can go for lunch. Lunch time at work is you normally get 30 minutes, if you're lucky and your job is lax you get 45 mins. School is the same story, 30 minutes for lunch. Smash tournaments are the same. If you ask that getting lunch is fine then it's fine as long as you take a reasonable amount of time, not 45 mins to go get it, then you come back and expect to also have time to eat it at the venue after. Melb tournaments are super lax on this, SSV is not going to be. At SSV you're just gonna be dq'd

Third is that people seem to be super ******** and not know how to play a game when I tell them to. I tell both people in a match they need to play, and then each giving me an excuse that the other can't play now for x reason but they are ready themselves. Then I look around and I see both playing friendlies or one standing around and one eating. This happened at least 3x times that day off the top of my head. Again if I call your game at SSV and I see you not playing without a decent reason, you're just gonna get DQ
d.

Fourth is that I can play whatever game however I want within the rules, If we choose to do falcon dittos finals and we accept items then that's how it's gonna be. That was actually the most fun I had all day and probably the only time I had fun that day apart from maybe the interview. If people are gonna cry that I'm not playing anything properly then just come and beat me. The result would not have been different either way. If streaming and keeping the crowd pleased is going to influence how we play more than the actual players enjoyment then I'd rather not have streaming.

None of these issues are against anyone in particular as every single issue has multiple offenders.

I'd actually like to see if someone else is willing to step up and take over my SS duties at this point in time, Please PM me if you are willing, I'm happy to continue with the donation and money handling part as well as fufilling the donation rewards, but as for actual organization I've just beared it long enough to a point I legitimately don't want to attend or do anything. The only part of the game I'm enjoying currently is the actual game itself when playing, and the people on their own. Everything else inbetween and involved in it I don't want to take part in anymore.

I can already tell I'm gonna have people reply and disagree or complain, probably both. Feel free to take over instead of me rather than attacking me please.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Just a few things to comment here; perhaps generate some healthy discussion.

1. TOing has always been selfless
No one really enjoys running these events, it's just something that needs to be done. Community organization and behaviour is actually probably better than it's ever been, and is not likely to improve at any point in the near future. I think the new kids are actually pretty good at this; most of the time the people who disappear forever or don't play games are those who have been in the community for a long time. And dealing with this **** is part of the job, and will be forever. It's unfortunate, because having you on board with these things has been incredibly helpful, but if you don't want to do it anymore, no one can stop you.

2. Venue
Yes cold. It was very cold. I actually thought myself that this made playing really hard too. Not sure if Ali has some heating somewhere, but I was under the impression that it was. Otherwise, for me and a lot of others, this venue is so freaking far away. I can't commit to attending often; it's an hour each way. Great for you North siders, but for the rest of us, I think location choice is really poor; bad business decision by SLHQ. But I'll still throw my support behind things regardless.

3. SS duties
I want to get a few people together to assist the running of the tourney; I figure if one person sits on the computer, then a few other bracket runners get people to play games, things will be pretty smooth. I did both myself at BAM this year, and seemed to work pretty well, but it was a lot of work for one person. Anyone who's willing to put their hand up would be much appreciated.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Although I did have fun slhq was definitely the worst event I've been to. Forte and Matty G can attest that my car was measuring 1 degrees Celsius when the sun set, and I had a word with ali, he ain't doing anything about it till "next winter" so there's something to think about. The location does not help the slightest and even though I don't care about the length of the drive the venue does make it hard to look forward to.

People don 't realize that instead of playing friendlies or practicing some help with TO'ing to try and make the event better and faster flowing for everyone, but that doesn't matter if people don't have the social awareness or decency to be "on call" when they are not playing a tournament match. The players are the ones that move the bracket along and it gets really hard when people want to play on the stream machine or just don't listen while talking or playing friendlies. Yes it is exciting to be able to see your own pre pubescent face and your less than mang0 skills recorded but come on. If your match needs to be played to move the bracket along then just play off stream. We had a good night due to having a good afternoon of getting matches done but it won't be like that every event, not to mention that slhq was smaller in numbers and we still barely finished by 9:30 (and that's not including brawl I'm pretty sure that was in limbo).

I'm new still but I'm putting my hand up as bracket runner and TO'ing. It's the least I can do to help the guys who set everything up.

With that said I massively enjoyed my time conversing with nearly everyone and despite cold hand johns basically everyone couldn't warm their hands up so we're all even. Shoutouts to Joey Forte and Matty G for telling me that I'm improving.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
The venue was not very enjoyable and I can imagine people have cold hand johns.
I just told myself I wasn't cold during matches, so I wasn't, but in between it was damn painful and my tech is bad anyway lel

Should emphasise packed lunches or something.
I didn't have an opportunity to eat til all events were over.

Results:
Brawl
1. Attila
2. Splice
3. Jei?

Melee
1. Dekar
2. Redact
3. Splice
4. Joey
5. Cal
5. Timic

Project M
1. Dekar?
2. Redact? (didn't watch GF's lol)
3. Cal
4. Jamwa

@ S.D S.D Thanks but it was a pretty **** set imo apart from Phil being able to read uncreative tech patterns well.
... had a lot more fun playing Brawl euheuheuheaheuah

Shoutouts to Joey for a clutch win against Cal good job friend
Miles you should beat Tim from now on I think, bad IC's players very easy to vs. I teach you
Tim get your wobbling down pat so I can't teach Miles how to beat you
Jamwa king of throws and underperforming
gw to Cal for being able to take back a set from 2 matches down with b00zer. you are disgusting

Well done to Cody for improving and Brug-senpai for dazzling me with your attendance of this event.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Fourth is that I can play whatever game however I want within the rules, If we choose to do falcon dittos finals and we accept items then that's how it's gonna be. That was actually the most fun I had all day and probably the only time I had fun that day apart from maybe the interview. If people are gonna cry that I'm not playing anything properly then just come and beat me. The result would not have been different either way. If streaming and keeping the crowd pleased is going to influence how we play more than the actual players enjoyment then I'd rather not have streaming.
Well I did bring this up with you so I guess I'll put my case forward here too.
For sure player enjoyment should come number one, but if we are streaming and trying to improve our image/professionalism we need to hold ourselves to higher standards in general for the sake of appearances. I also think that it's somewhat unfair on people that try their guts out and actually care about PM to be knocked out by someone who goes on to make a farce out of finals.
All that said you're obviously entitled to play the game however you want, and I'm glad you enjoyed it and I apologise if my viewpoint has offended you. I guess I'm always in tryhard mode so I don't understand how to have fun anymore.

Edit: It seems like a lot of your frustration is boiling over from the strain of Toing, which I totally understand. After a few months looking after events I got fed up with it too and left Dekar/you to handle things for a while. It's very easy to get burnt out doing TO stuff so sharing the duties around are probably for the best. Take a back seat for the next few events and get the enjoyment back.

tl;dr TOing is like carrying the one ring - share the load mr frodo

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
biggest smash tournament in antarctica history good work everyone

shoutouts to max for the great steam setup and actually playing legit amazing at times

hughie you were really impressive to watch in melee teams tbh, but even more fun to play ;)

apologies to hughie/max for booting you off the stream setup, but as said previously if we all wait to play on stream we don't finish, and priority goes to people deeper in the bracket (cal wanted to play on stream and it's his right for making it to winners semis... tho i feel for you two since you're the ones who record and upload matches... TOing sucks etc etc)

redact just nut up and DQ offenders next time, especially since at least 2 of them were old school players who know the rules, would more than understand, and were in winners at the time anyway. if i wasn't playing at the time it'd be an easy dq.

shoutouts to attila for a decent brawl tourney which ran quickly and finished, plus the comeback from losers

shoutouts to nano hologuise for learning some of the quirks and intricacies to teams play over the course of the day, and with frozen hands

tl;dr TOing is like carrying the one ring - share the load mr frodo
omg yes, shoutouts to dreadtech for carrying the one ring also

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
worst tournament ever by far for many reasons.

First is the lack of any climate control for the place, how cold it was is just a joke and people are gonna think it's fine as soon as the cold temps pass until summer time and then its gonna just be a heat box. Even though its 10 minutes from me I'm actively going to boycott that place until it's heated/cooled because I'm actually sick now thanks to the temps there and the day itself made me feel just as horrid.
I'm sick too! Trash tier dropped chaingrab cold hand johns all day for me too. Very frustrating

Hughie

Smash Lad
Shoutouts to Joey for making me feel uncomfortable on stream

For some reason I didn't get cold hands yesterday, but I did dress pretty warm though.

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
****. My. Hands. Cold.

Shoutouts to Dekar for the doubles, and for carrying my sorry ass all the way to the grand finals. There were some awesome moments, then some not so much, but I learned and they happened less often. Thanks a bunch :D
Shoutouts to Atilla, watching you wtf over Jamwa's Lucas was hilarious
Shoutouts to whoever knocked me out of losers bracket in melee (Dom something, I think it was), yes you grabbed my butt a whole lot, good job :p. That last stage spike with your up special was BS, and I might have won at least one game if I hadn't S.D.ed. FML.

That Falcon Ditto with items on tho Redact and Dekar xD

Oh and shoutouts to max, the stream setup was great.

Last edited:

Nido

ily Sebby
I want to get a few people together to assist the running of the tourney; I figure if one person sits on the computer, then a few other bracket runners get people to play games, things will be pretty smooth. I did both myself at BAM this year, and seemed to work pretty well, but it was a lot of work for one person. Anyone who's willing to put their hand up would be much appreciated.
I'll help out with PM.

Top Bottom