• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepy's Super Awesome Birthday Bash(Battleaxe Chronicles) September 18th, Durham, NC

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
i was trying to do commentary during some of the matches and all i could hear in the headphones was the music. like, it was going into the mic and blasting in my ears.

SO bad.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright alright, the music was bad, we get it.

Edit: What is a TO supposed to do when they have a bigger tourney and some players are nowhere to be found for an extended period of time?

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
kev, maybe u should let maria explain herself what happened to each person. Not telling you to not help, but i mean shes a big girl, dawg.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
kev, maybe u should let maria explain herself what happened to each person. Not telling you to not help, but i mean shes a big girl, dawg.
At the rate this is being posted, she won't be able to get to it all. Besides, she will respond to the general topics anyway, I'm just offering counterpoints in the meantime.

She's still doing the results thread I think?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Good **** Kyle saying a bunch of the stuff I would have said.

And I couldn't help but laugh at Dylan's posts.

Yay: We had no way of knowing the tourney was about to start and there was not a single attempt made to contact us to let us know (I'm fairly sure almost everyone in the venue has my number).

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...singles started mad late.

you shoulda been ready and waiting for it to start...not leaving the venue assuming it'd start...even later.

venue woulda worked if those tv's werent laggy. and don't say "bring more setups" cuz thanks to the way things were, we didn't have space for more setups even if we brought them. trust me. i looked. cuz asheboro came with another melee setup and we had no space for it when they brought it.

if he's sellin tv's on deck for 25 bucks, can he bring a few of them out for our tournaments? seems better than letting them collect dust...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
...singles started mad late.

you shoulda been ready and waiting for it to start...not leaving the venue assuming it'd start...even later.

venue woulda worked if those tv's werent laggy. and don't say "bring more setups" cuz thanks to the way things were, we didn't have space for more setups even if we brought them. trust me. i looked. cuz asheboro came with another melee setup and we had no space for it when they brought it.

if he's sellin tv's on deck for 25 bucks, can he bring a few of them out for our tournaments? seems better than letting them collect dust...
Waited about an hour for Adam, and Maria has already stated that she should have just started without him anyway.

Next time we'll have more space/the whole venue, so bring more setups.

BEES

Smash Lord
god **** setups, the bane of NC. you need to be more pushy about people bringing setups, honestly. with a tournament as big as this, you really need to push people to bring setups to make sure that everything gets done on time. that was really a hinder, because midday, every single setup was running tournament matches, but we still had around 6-8 people standing around waiting for a setup to open to play their matches. another thing is that we had THREE brawl setups up while melee was going. this is absolutely ridiculous. this is not because its brawl, but because that was a third of the total setups that we had. the tournament would have finished much earlier if 2 of these setups, were melee, and one was left for brawl friendlies, atleast until brawl doubles started. we barely had enough room for setups anyway, we had too many setups on that middle bar, and some could have been moved to the bar on the wall if those flatscreens were put in the back.
This would be a lot easier if the door fee were cancelled for bringing a setup. It's sort of a no-brainer.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Yes it is.

Because honestly, you're wasting the entire tournament's time. You're using the DQ to take away from your own irresponsibility
wow, really?

did I ever saying I wasn't being irresponsible? I truly believe it was a bad move on our part to leave at that time, but thats irrelevant, because thats not what I said. I said it wasn't the most reasonable conclusion. to DQ a player straight away without even trying to give warning to them seems a little silly. both parties were at fault in this situation in my opinion.

but does it even matter at this point? the tournament is done at this point, and there were much bigger problems to focus on.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i'm just referencing the fact that we brought more setups than we could use this time around. seems like people are like 'STEP IT UP NC' when in reality, we had more setups than we could even fit.

i was fine with singles starting late. i was just saying that if singles is already behind schedule, leaving the venue just doesn't sound like a good idea.

good defense though.

GofG

Smash Champion
The leaving took place in my car.

I called ahead notifying Yay that we were going to be a little late; Yay said that would be fine, because Georgia was still asleep in Bryan's apartment.

When I hear "Georgia", I think Dogy, Alpha, etc. Basically a bunch of large, loud, black people.

When I arrived, I scanned the venue and saw no black people shouting things like "naw dawg" or anything of the sort, but doubles had already started so I assumed Georgia had simply missed doubles.

When doubles was near ending, and I saw that "georgia" was still absent, I figured we would at least hold up singles for SleepyK whose birthday it was, and gathered the troops to my van for the aforementioned green greens. Lucas said he got a text asking where we were, but the person texting him had a conversation about his most recent doubles match and made no mention of singles starting.

When we arrived back and I realized that I was thinking of the wrong Georgia players as I caught sight of SleepyK in a pokemon outfit, and was told I was DQ'd, I realized what had happened. That's my story, though. I assume all the other players knew that Georgia was actually there.

And I got to play my match anyway.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
DOING sHOUTOUTS CAUSE I HAD AN AWESOME TIME AT THIS

MARIA-I REALLY APPRECIATE THE EFFORT YOU PUT INTO THIS. I ENJOYED THE BOTTLE OF WATER GREATLY.

PP-HOW DO YOU LIKE MY OUTFIT?

TWITCH-SUP DUDE

MIKE G- ALWAYS GLAD SEEING YOU...MAD BEAST PLACING TOO...YOU GOT ME PUMPED FOR THAT OLD SCHOOL VS NEW SCHOOL CREW BATTLE AT P5

SLEEPYK- I KNOW U LIKED THAT NEEDLE SAVE

MAHONE- COME BACK BRO

FOXLISK- I ENJOYED YOUR CIGARETTE MM WITH JIM, NICE FALCO

JIM&STINGERS- YOU GUYS REALLY MAKE WE WANT TO HAVE A STATIC DOUBLES PARTNER...THE ONLY TRUE TEAM IN NC

JIM-ITS ****ING GANON

STINGERS- YOUR ROB IS STUPID GOOD. I WATCHED YOU LOSE TO KADAJ'S MK BUT I THINK YOU SHOWED MORE SKILL... HIS MARTH KIND OF GOT HIS ROCKS OFF THOUGH :(

CRAIG- NICE SHORTS BRO

ROHAN- MEH IN TEAMS, GOOD STUFF IN SINGLES...GET BETTER SO I HAVE TO GET BETTER...PUSH ME SO I PUSH YOU

RAG-GOOD STUFF IN BRAWL I GUESS...I NEED TO ROLL TO YOUR HOUSE MOAR...LOL ISNT SMASH AND YOU CANT BLAZE OVER THE INTERNET

PLUR- LOVED YOUR DANCING

JOSH- LAWD HAVE MERCY, SO MANY THINGS I COULD SAY WITH THIS SHOUTOUT...ILL JUST SAY I LOVE YOU WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY/WINNING AND AM EMBARRASSED TO KNOW YOU WHEN YOU ARE MAD/LOSING...YOU ARE GETTING BETTER THOUGH, KEEP IT UP OR JUST STOP LOSING :)

BDEN- PLAY MORE BRAWL... WHERE WERE YOU FOR MELEE TEAMS?

CRIO- TY BRO, U KNOW I GOTCHA NEXT TIME...

CAM- IM NOT GONNA LET YOU LEAVE ME IN THE DUST...GONNA FOLLOW YOU TO THE TOP

dop- THE CHILLEST...WE NEED TO PLAY SOMETIME

YAY- LOLWUT

SMITH- STOP BEING PARANOID

EDDIE- YOUR FOX IS FUNNY

$MIKE- MISS YOU

SNAP- ROFLMAO

SNEAK- NICE MATCHES...I WANT TO PLAY YOU AGAIN

DJ- YOU ARE GROWING ON ME...I THINK WE HAVE A BUNCH OF SIMILARITIES WITH THIS GAME AND CAN BENEFIT FROM DISCUSSIONS LIKE THE ONES WE HAD AT THIS...I KNOW I DID

THEO- I WAS GONNA PLAY FRIENDLIES AT YOUR SETUP BUT THEN I SAW YOU CHAIN GRABBING A FOX TO DEATH AND I WAS LIKE NAH I WANNA HAVE FUN... <3

EWB- TOO TALL

MOO- RESTING EVERYWHERE

KILLER & OMNI- PLAY LOL

JMH- I NEED TO VISIT ASHBORO AGAIN

OCEAN- TY FOR THE HUGS BRO

KARN- I GOTCHU NEXT TIME DAWG

FOXY- GOOD STUFF BROSKI

PEOPLE IM FORGETTING-LET ME KNOW AND ILL EDIT YOU IN :)

DJRome

Smash Hero
well, the venue just isn't well organized like other venues and doesn't have a nice, definitive food break (probably as a result of running brawl). that break is necessary for people to do things so that they are doing tourney when they are supposed to. dqs can solve some things but i think the break is just way more efficient

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
except it doesn't.

the venue is the single most important part of running a tournament, and it can greatly effect everything else, and there were a lot of problems with this venue. the problems were (for the most part) out of your control, which put you, and us in a bad position. the main problems with the venue were the hosts, space, and setups.

I can't not remember a time when I wasn't being yelled at because I was "blocking the walk way". the ironic thing about this is the ******* was shouting in my face as he clearly walked through the aisle without a problem. I can understand that he is trying to run a business, but he was going through the entire process in the wrong way. this was a MAJOR turn off for the tournament, and it put me in a bad mood for a large part of the remaining tournament. a large portion of my time was spent outside, because I couldn't stand being inside that venue with the hosts being such jerks. also, later on in the day, as I was walking up to the counter to buy myself water, I couldn't get through a crowd of people watching guitar hero. the fact that he bothered to be so god **** pushy with us, but leave another area crowded, really pisses me off.

if I recall correctly, you said we would have the entire venue to ourselves. I'm not sure if I'm just remembering wrongly, or if the hosts didn't hold up to their agreement or something, but regardless, this wasn't enough space. I can understand that we had a crapload of people, but we knew that before hand, so something should had been done about this. not to mention, there was a lot of room taken up by empty TVs, and xboxes not being played. I feel like the hosts should have known from the first BAC that we take up a lot of table room, and should have given us more room, and you as a TO should have talked to them about this. also, the music was really annoying. while snap and I were commentating, I was having trouble hearing snap, who is generally loud as hell, because someone felt the need to blast a horrible beat for 30 minutes.

god **** setups, the bane of NC. you need to be more pushy about people bringing setups, honestly. with a tournament as big as this, you really need to push people to bring setups to make sure that everything gets done on time. that was really a hinder, because midday, every single setup was running tournament matches, but we still had around 6-8 people standing around waiting for a setup to open to play their matches. another thing is that we had THREE brawl setups up while melee was going. this is absolutely ridiculous. this is not because its brawl, but because that was a third of the total setups that we had. the tournament would have finished much earlier if 2 of these setups, were melee, and one was left for brawl friendlies, atleast until brawl doubles started. we barely had enough room for setups anyway, we had too many setups on that middle bar, and some could have been moved to the bar on the wall if those flatscreens were put in the back.

overall, the venue was the main problem with this tournament. this isn't to take a swing at you maria, but you really should find a more cooperative venue, or have a good talk with the owner(s) so they know that we need a good amount of space.
I talked about the space. Yes the venue would have been mostly ours if not for the birthday party. This is something I am fixing for the next one. Set ups is also not on me. I told people to bring them and brought two sets up myself. The bar would have been cleared for set ups had we had them. I am buying maybe one other set up, but I can not provid set ups for the whole venue.

I was put into losers without playing my match, and so were the rest of us. You then refused to change it for me when I asked you and told you that the person I had to play against hadn't played yet and didn't even know that I'd been DQ'd. You then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't like it I could just leave. I then decided to **** the authority and I played my match anyway and change the bracket if I won. I lost anyway so I didn't really come back to you about it. And yes I saw the bracket.
I do not recall this at all. I believed the only people I put in to losers were Smith and Josh. I apologize if this happened then. I do not think I told you that if you did not like it you could leave, but if I did I apologize again. I was rather frazzled from the tournament and may have snapped at you unintentionally.

The bouncers were just doing their job, I already addressed that.

cam, both eddie and I threw in money, and iirc jim also threw in some actual product.

lucas, only smith and you were actually DQ'd iirc. but really, not atleast calling one of us was pretty ********. there was 7 of us, and I know some people at the venue had my number.
I told people to call, but it is NOT my job to call people. Perhaps you guys should have called to ask if brackets were up.

Good **** Kyle saying a bunch of the stuff I would have said.

And I couldn't help but laugh at Dylan's posts.

Yay: We had no way of knowing the tourney was about to start and there was not a single attempt made to contact us to let us know (I'm fairly sure almost everyone in the venue has my number).
I made it known that brackets were going up around 4. Again, I TOLD people to call, but it is NOT my job to call people. I announce brackets, but I can not sit there on the phone trying to contact everyone. You are at a tournament, that is your responsibility. I do not see why people are complaining if everyone got to play their matches after all though.

I will deal with the music, I got the message.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya, i don't understand, only Josh and Smith got dqed, and i played Josh anyway, so it's really only Smith who should be complaining, but i am mainly seeing people who played it out and lost anyway complaining about what would of happened if they won.

Purple

Hi guys!
wow, really?

did I ever saying I wasn't being irresponsible? I truly believe it was a bad move on our part to leave at that time, but thats irrelevant, because thats not what I said. I said it wasn't the most reasonable conclusion. to DQ a player straight away without even trying to give warning to them seems a little silly. both parties were at fault in this situation in my opinion.

but does it even matter at this point? the tournament is done at this point, and there were much bigger problems to focus on.
How can a warning be given when you aren't there? I've never seen a problem with people being late and if there is they call or tell the tournament organizer before they leave -everytime-.

I'm just saying if there is fault in the player's side, they really shouldn't be complaining about anything at all.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
When we left the bracket had not been put up. It's not like we were holding up the tournament or anything. Not to mention earlier in the tournament, I was told I had 10 minutes to get back from eating and less than a minute later someone called telling me I was about to get DQ'd. Not good communication imo

Stockfield

Smash Champion
I made it known that brackets were going up around 4. Again, I TOLD people to call, but it is NOT my job to call people. I announce brackets, but I can not sit there on the phone trying to contact everyone. You are at a tournament, that is your responsibility. I do not see why people are complaining if everyone got to play their matches after all though.

I will deal with the music, I got the message.
It's not your fault Maria, they just need to learn to come to a tourney and play not do something else.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Except not even plank or anyone running big tournaments immediately DQs for being away at the exact time a match is called. A standard can be set for how long someone can be gone, and people should inform the TO when they leave, and then it's a TO decision just like with everything else.

That said, all of this wouldn't have happened if logistical issues like the birthday party and slight lack of setups hadn't been present, as well as people like me holding up the bracket immensely. If you'll recall, Maria said she actually ran the brackets incredibly quickly for the most part, so don't make it out to be her fault, regardless of DQ rule.

Edit: lmao cam <3
I'm not just talking about this tourney Pee Pee. I stated that at every tourney they last way to long. Reread my points. People randomly leaving without communicating is a problem. I'm not necessarily talking about what u did. Something like that happens at every tourney it seems.
And in no way am I trying to say Maria did a bad job of running the tourney. I'm talking about the contestants in it need to be more respectful of their opponents. Again easy way to fix this is...

1. Have a reasonable time limit. It doesn't matter if its not holding up the bracket or not. This creates efficient tourneys.
2. Have set times for lunch and dinner. At every tourney there is a time when people have matches and they wait 30 minutes to an hour for them to return. that is ridiculous.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
mekos spitting that knowledge.
lol thanks. I'm not trying to attack anyone. This is the truth bottom line. No need for any excuses. Just fix the problem.

DQing used to be (MLG style I think? some old-school tourneys at least) where if you're 5 minutes late, you forfeit the first game, and if you're ten minutes late you forfeit 2 (that is, you default unless you're in finals). a system like that makes sense to me.

^^^^^

This would work perfectly

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stay out of this. you are no melee.

- Not keith, the head of the Illuminati.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
It's not your fault Maria, they just need to learn to come to a tourney and play not do something else.

Yeah guys, tournaments are serious buisness. Theres no reason for you to be off lolly gagging with your friends.

This is super duper serious 24/7 time. Stop trying to have fun at tournaments. You pay your money to enter and then you play. then you leave. nothing else should go on at any tournament.

Seriously guys you shouldnt even go get food at a tournament, get yourself a ****ing lunch box. This is ridiculous. GET YOUR GAME FACES ON AND PLAY.THEN GO HOME

Stop wasting everyone who can be mature about tournaments time. You shouldnt even walk out of the venue for more than a minute and 25 seconds.

AND ANOTHER thing. im tired of seeing you *******s texting during tournaments. TO's need to start confiscating phones or at least put them on silent. This is a tournament not myspace. its not about how many ****ing friends you have.

Its strictly business

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm not just talking about this tourney Pee Pee. I stated that at every tourney they last way to long. Reread my points. People randomly leaving without communicating is a problem. I'm not necessarily talking about what u did. Something like that happens at every tourney it seems.
And in no way am I trying to say Maria did a bad job of running the tourney. I'm talking about the contestants in it need to be more respectful of their opponents. Again easy way to fix this is...

1. Have a reasonable time limit. It doesn't matter if its not holding up the bracket or not. This creates efficient tourneys.
2. Have set times for lunch and dinner. At every tourney there is a time when people have matches and they wait 30 minutes to an hour for them to return. that is ridiculous.
Doesn't mean it will always happen.

1 will most likely happen next time but 2 has to be flexible to a degree as well because of unforseen circumstances.

Edit: Snap, you know that isn't what anyone is saying at all.

Purple

Hi guys!
Yeah guys, tournaments are serious buisness. Theres no reason for you to be off lolly gagging with your friends.

This is super duper serious 24/7 time. Stop trying to have fun at tournaments. You pay your money to enter and then you play. then you leave. nothing else should go on at any tournament.

Seriously guys you shouldnt even go get food at a tournament, get yourself a ****ing lunch box. This is ridiculous. GET YOUR GAME FACES ON AND PLAY.THEN GO HOME

Stop wasting everyone who can be mature about tournaments time. You shouldnt even walk out of the venue for more than a minute and 25 seconds.

AND ANOTHER thing. im tired of seeing you *******s texting during tournaments. TO's need to start confiscating phones or at least put them on silent. This is a tournament not myspace. its not about how many ****ing friends you have.

Its strictly business
***** you trollin

Tournaments are for fun, but tournament gameplay -is- serious. If you're going to leave the venue then you should tell a host

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace

Its strictly business

Sarcasm does not help me run my tournaments any better. I am not saying be super serious 24/7, just that there are certain things that come with being entered in a tournament.
It is after all, a tournament, not a smashfest.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero

Its strictly business
Congratulations Dylan lawing.

you have been accepted.

We await your arrival.

- Leader of the Illuminati.

Mahone

Smash Champion

Its strictly business
Finally someone who understand how i feel. If i wanted to have fun, i would go to smashfests, tournies are for when you want to get serious about playing, but even though i don't like it, i have to disagree with the texting thing, if they aren't playing they should be able to text imo. Also, i think you are overreacting a little, it's ok to leave the venue for like 5 minutes to smoke or something, but anything more than that is holding stuff up. But you made a good point about food, i hate when there is a long break for food and I'm not hungry, i didn't drive 3.5 hours to wait while people eat, so if people just brought their food to the tourney the could eat and still talk about the game and it would be more fun.

I'll admit your posts defending Josh made me kinda not like you, but at least you are right about this.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x136/dylanmatic911/tumblr_l3b94bw59p1qaac30o1_500.gif[/IMG]

the music was soo bad.
I forgot to mention this, but when I was playing my tournament matches right NEXT to the giant loud boombox of "music", it was waaay distracting. I know I suck and would've lost anyway, but the -2% the terrible music gave me might've been sufficient for me to gain an extra 2% and pull off a game or something.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i dont think anyone is saying you shouldn't go off and have fun and get high or whatever. just if you want to do that, you should do so with full understanding that you are probably going to end up either ****ing up someone else's day by making them wait for a long time, or else default. so don't run off and get high and then come back and be pissed that you suffer the natural consequences.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
it was an exaggeration but they were gone for a good bit, since i remember seeing them walk off and not seeing them again for a good while, as I was standing outside when they left, got asked by someone to come smoke with them, declined and then walked in the venue. It was more than the 20 minutes they are claiming for sure lol

Top Bottom