• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepy's Super Awesome Birthday Bash(Battleaxe Chronicles) September 18th, Durham, NC

BigLøu

Smash Lord
No worries PP stuff happens. In any case the tourney tourney just started late to begin with, but tourneys never start on time lolz

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
can we do it again soon kevin?? :(

@Mike G: dude ur the ****ing man i <3333'd meeting u mad hard.

o and u and justice should come out with a rap album. i'll produce.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
ok.... are you still going to TO?
Most likely, yeah. I should be able to win the fight as long as I don't go to a ton of stuff between now and then(which I plan on save for like Charlotte or hickory or mayyybe something on the 2nd but I'm not sure).

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Like Chris said, it was basically impossible to have more than 3 or 4 people watching a match, much less get hyped because any time a crowd gathered either Maria or a staff member would come through RUDELY telling people to move.

This was ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.
I can understand their frustration after a few times, but here's the thing.
  1. Their threshold for tolerance broke somewhere at 12:00, before the tourney even started. O.o
  2. Everytime the guy in the hat said "MOVE: - IT'S A SIMPLE REQUEST" in the voice of "Oh God Just Kill Me Now!" I wanted to shoot someone. Especially because he repeated It's a Simple Request many more times than he actually shouted move.

Other than that I liked how the tournament was run. No complaints here; I had fun.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
ummm foxy, have u taken a look at the Brawl prs recently? we all would like to know when u plan to host again.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
dude, i know. i still sort of blame myself cuz ur such a nice guy, of course if i asked you would probably come. i should have considered the other people, but then i remembered that they play brawl so they deserve to be camped irl.
Loooooooooool

EDIT: NCSU's are always amazing.

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
alright, just read everything through and now it is my turn.

First, DQ's
7 people did not get DQ'd. I realized somebody was going around and saying that and I really wanted to make this clear. The only people I actually had put in to losers were people who had come to me and said hey my match is still nowhere to be found. Those people were not necessarily complaining but they were making me aware that their match was taking a ridiculously long time to come play them. I was not as aware of other matches because I was pushing loser's bracket and trying to advance what I could while having all my set ups full. I was aware of matches being played and every single set up was being used for a tournament match at any given time.

That being said, NOBODY was put in to loser's except Josh and Smith without first playing their match. Anyone who "saw the bracket", must have read it wrong.

Next, about the lack of space. I had no control over where our set ups were. I had no control over that birthday party. The next tournament I hold will have the whole venue rented out with all computers/monitors/tvs moved for our set ups. Neither me nor the owner expected this turnout. The birthday party was sprung on me and Jason both last minute and it was something I had to work around. It was scheduled by an employee there that did not know about the tournament and so there was nothing to be done. The only thing left was to work around it. Next tournament is going to be the way it was after close, when everyone had a place to sit and relax ad plenty of room to move around.

My bouncers actually apologized to me at the end of the night and told me they were frustrated but were happy to have us. They did not mean to go about it rudely or anything. I am not sure if that counts for anything, but they did realize they were slightly rude. They were there that day for the sole reason of helping me with my tournament. None of them has ever helped run a tournament or anything like that so they were slightly unprepared and did not quite realize how to go about it. I hope you do not hold that against them in the future.

Next, BRACKETS.
The reason the tournament started so late was a number of reasons. First, tournament should have started at 11 people arrived at 12:30-1:00. This is fine because I was waiting for our OOS guests who had arrived in NC very late and I was given them some time to sleep in. Second, I held melee singles for Adam and he arrived at 4:30. Another lack of planning on my part because I could have simply started the bracket and just held his matches, but I was not thinking straight with all the hassle and whatnot. Third, brawl doubles bracket being held for Kevin. He already went over that so I feel no need to right now.
I also want to say that I ran melee singles in 2 and a half hours and ran brawl singles in about 2 hours as well. They were run as fast as humanly possible when they went up.

Third, Set ups.
I do not think we were pressed for set ups all that much except for brawl set ups during melee. We could have had more set ups, but I do not think anyone realized what kind of a turnout we would have so I am not blaming anybody. Next time, NC just bring more set ups out. However, I think everyone had set ups and there were never more than 1 or 2 tourney matches waiting on a set up at a time. Another note, I want to thank everyone for all the cooperation I got. When I told somebody to get off a set up they did so. Thank you so much for that. It really helped run the tournament super well and I could not have done that without everyone willing to help out so much.

All in all, I hope everyone had fun and I hope you all come back again. I am fixing all these problems for the next tournament and I hope to have an even bigger turnout as I am getting that entire venue rented out and so will have plenty of room. I will do some shoutouts later, but it is kind of hard for me since I interacted with everybody so I got a big ol' list to type out.
I just want to say ahead of time that everyone was super supportive and helpful and I was really thankful for that. There is no one I met that I did not like. I only wish I had had more time for friendlies and more time to hangout with a lot of you. Thank you thank you thank you. I could not have done this without you guys, plain and simple :)

EDIT: Doing the results thread right now! it will be going up soon :D

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I'm not, you guys act like I have something against the game. I just think it would be better if the set ups didn't have to be shared. I'm sure there were brawl players who wished they could've played more while melee was running and the same the other way around

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm not, you guys act like I have something against the game. I just think it would be better if the set ups didn't have to be shared. I'm sure there were brawl players who wished they could've played more while melee was running and the same the other way around
Fact of the matter is, there was enough time to get both games done, but stupid logistical things+me being an idiot made things run incredibly late and a slight lack of setups didn't help either.

Separating the smash community over something like that is silly and causes unnecessary rifts between players that don't need to be pushed.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
It wasn't even about the time of the tournament... I just think if you don't have to switch setups back and forth it would just make things easier and run smoother

stingers

Smash Obsessed
shouts to yay for not playing his brawl doubles match when he had all that down time just to get 2-0'd

pp/karn's match was already done and him/cory hadn't even played me and jim first round

so yuh

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
anyone know where to buy some cheap tv's? im cool with luggin around a few for tournys and most people bring the console, not a tv
Yoshi is selling some like mine (the one PP's recording set up was on) for $25 bucks. Really good tvs. They have handles, big screens, and are all uniform so they look really good all together. I am buying a couple of them for future tourneys. I love mine. It is the one I keep in my room.

DJRome

Smash Hero
it's about being able to play melee once singles ended. i played like 30 singles friendlies all day because there were never any setups open

Top Bottom