• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepy's Super Awesome Birthday Bash(Battleaxe Chronicles) September 18th, Durham, NC

Purple

Hi guys!
I'm -so- mad i know exactly what episode this is from.

Ocean i don't think Maria needs a new venue, -especially- with how everything should be going on in the next tournament.

It takes a lot of work guys, I wouldn't be all that mad about it.

DJRome

Smash Hero
that's the problem though. running dukes has always proven that something comes up in nc. and if the venue doesn't allow for any leeway, problems will arise. im not against this venue specifically, but better planning and foresight is needed if what happened this time is to be an isolated incident

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This venue is fine because in the future there will be muuuuch more room for setups and moving around because allllll of the tables and all that stuff we'll have to ourselves instead of just a few of them.

Purple

Hi guys!
Honestly, you say planning helps and you're right, however sometimes planning doesn't solve everything; no plan goes perfectly.

I remember I ran a tournament in GA for halloween, had about 50 entrants prepared to come for at least two months (the tournament was told to start 4 months in advance and the venue had more than enough time to prepare).

Literally the day of the tournament being set up, the person came to me saying a yu-gi-oh tournament was going to be taking up half of the space, and that my half wouldn't have some electric ports working.

Also almost all of the members of Georgia didn't participate (ironic huh?) it was solely FL and a few top players from AL and GA

Is that something I could've planned for? Not at all, sometimes things just happen, and that's how life is.

I'm not saying Maria didn't have her problems here and there (I wouldn't know, i wasn't there; you guys can discuss that more if you want), but the problem with having a venue that -isn't- yours is that you can plan for some things.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
anyone know where to buy some cheap tv's? im cool with luggin around a few for tournys and most people bring the console, not a tv
I think there are some free ones in Greensboro still available, if my friend's family hasn't thrown them out yet. There's an extremely heavy 24" and a smaller one with coax only.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Alright so I read the whole thread.

1.Why are you guys arguing at 3 AM? Go to bed its good for you.

2.Crios shoutouts are my fav so far. <3

3. Plur I am not a god you did good too bro. <3

4.PP Sorry if I seemed to be attacking you. <3 Like I wanted to leave for the same reason Chris wanted to leave except the girl part haha I just wanted sleep

5.The Venue is good I just wish we did have the whole venue to ourselves and separate the Brawl TVs from the Melee TVs,with both running. Melee on one side Brawl on the other.

6.Im pissed about going to only 2 safety meetings out of 6. >:[ Tell me next time ******s.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
WELL another thing is the music? wtf was up with that, its a tournament not a ****ing night club.

The music was soo bad and so loud thats why i lost to emb.

lmao johns.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
The venue was great!

It doesn't matter whether melee and brawl are going on at the same time these NC tourneys always go extremely off schedule. This is the solution. Just run the tourney how nationals are run.

1. Have d/q for not being at your station when yer match is supposed to happen.
2. Have a set time for lunch and dinner

You need these in place because people aren't considerate toward others. Every single tourney I have been to, I have looked for my opponent and I find out that they left to go get food, can't be found, etc. I'm a college student and can't use a day and a half for smash. I'm also out of town. Players that don't live where the venue is have to travel 1-5hrs after the tourney.

Simply if people can't be mature about something then force boundaries on them. If these tourneys continue to be an all day event like 9am to 2am, I won't be able to come. And for those like me who have high gpa's in college and take it seriously, won't have time either. These tourneys have been a heavy burden on me and I come cuz I love smash so much.

Please tourney organizers, especially since yer charging door fees, please make these tourney be more efficient. I have given yall simple solutions.

Purple

Hi guys!
This is a pretty serious issue snap, whether you were joking about it or not.

Loud background music can get you out of the zone and make things worse for gameplay.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
aight i just read through BEHR's post.

1. this is good advice, i like ur style.

2. lolllll Crio ur dashboard is like ****in gengar. ***** dream ate my phone.

3. if Eddie is a god then i'm goku

4. the only thing attacking kevin was his shirt tightness @ bac. but yeah kevin if u ever wear a shirt that's not as tight as that one again u'll go back to being unsexy, it's just the way it works. u look like jesus christ when u got that A87 tight as **** on.

5. i think at BAC at least, it's possible to run both games, but this would mean that all the tables are filled with set ups and ****, there's enough space we just need a bunch of crap and ****.

6. someone buy weed besides me and crio. i'm sick of yall n1ggaz pretending we're the closest n1ggaz ever just so ill smoke up ur n1gger ***. that's why i LITERALLY ASK SP TO SMOKE WITH ME. they know u can't just like, suck a dude's **** for weed, they play it cool and i'm attracted to that, so i wanna smoke them up. ****.

BEHR

Smash Hero
aight i just read through BEHR's post.

1. this is good advice, i like ur style.

2. lolllll Crio ur dashboard is like ****in gengar. ***** dream ate my phone.

3. if Eddie is a god then i'm goku

4. the only thing attacking kevin was his shirt tightness @ bac. but yeah kevin if u ever wear a shirt that's not as tight as that one again u'll go back to being unsexy, it's just the way it works. u look like jesus christ when u got that A87 tight as **** on.

5. i think at BAC at least, it's possible to run both games, but this would mean that all the tables are filled with set ups and ****, there's enough space we just need a bunch of crap. (EDIT- i just read back on this... wtf am i talking about)

6. someone buy weed besides me and crio. i'm sick of yall n1ggaz pretending we're the closest n1ggaz ever just so ill smoke up ur n1gger ***. that's why i LITERALLY ASK SP TO SMOKE WITH ME. they know u can't just like, suck a dude's **** for weed, they play it cool and i'm attracted to that, so i wanna smoke them up. ****.
I gave Crioo money for smoking me up I would have gave him more but I only had 3 dollars to give I would have gave him my lunch money earlier. D:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The venue was great!

It doesn't matter whether melee and brawl are going on at the same time these NC tourneys always go extremely off schedule. This is the solution. Just run the tourney how nationals are run.

1. Have d/q for not being at your station when yer match is supposed to happen.
2. Have a set time for lunch and dinner

You need these in place because people aren't considerate toward others. Every single tourney I have been to, I have looked for my opponent and I find out that they left to go get food, can't be found, etc. I'm a college student and can't use a day and a half for smash. I'm also out of town. Players that don't live where the venue is have to travel 1-5hrs after the tourney.

Simply if people can't be mature about something then force boundaries on them. If these tourneys continue to be an all day event like 9am to 2am, I won't be able to come. And for those like me who have high gpa's in college and take it seriously, won't have time either. These tourneys have been a heavy burden on me and I come cuz I love smash so much.

Please tourney organizers, especially since yer charging door fees, please make these tourney be more efficient. I have given yall simple solutions.
Except not even plank or anyone running big tournaments immediately DQs for being away at the exact time a match is called. A standard can be set for how long someone can be gone, and people should inform the TO when they leave, and then it's a TO decision just like with everything else.

That said, all of this wouldn't have happened if logistical issues like the birthday party and slight lack of setups hadn't been present, as well as people like me holding up the bracket immensely. If you'll recall, Maria said she actually ran the brackets incredibly quickly for the most part, so don't make it out to be her fault, regardless of DQ rule.

Edit: lmao cam <3

BEHR

Smash Hero
eddie i'll smoke u up any day any time.... u should know that.
I know dude..it makes me feel bad and **** you buy me food too. <3 your like my big brother.

Like that one time at Mexico where I actually had cash you were surprised lmao.

but Ima roll blunts for you tho cause you spoil me dawg.

Maria- YES!! Thank you <3

BEHR

Smash Hero
im not joking, im pretty sure it also ruined the commentary on some of the matches.
When they played Rap I did alright

then they played Britney Spears and that Dancing Queen **** im like wtf?

oh and Katy Perry

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
alright, just read everything through and now it is my turn.

First, DQ's
7 people did not get DQ'd. I realized somebody was going around and saying that and I really wanted to make this clear. The only people I actually had put in to losers were people who had come to me and said hey my match is still nowhere to be found. Those people were not necessarily complaining but they were making me aware that their match was taking a ridiculously long time to come play them. I was not as aware of other matches because I was pushing loser's bracket and trying to advance what I could while having all my set ups full. I was aware of matches being played and every single set up was being used for a tournament match at any given time.

That being said, NOBODY was put in to loser's except Josh and Smith without first playing their match. Anyone who "saw the bracket", must have read it wrong.
I was put into losers without playing my match, and so were the rest of us. You then refused to change it for me when I asked you and told you that the person I had to play against hadn't played yet and didn't even know that I'd been DQ'd. You then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't like it I could just leave. I then decided to **** the authority and I played my match anyway and change the bracket if I won. I lost anyway so I didn't really come back to you about it. And yes I saw the bracket.

And Maria, I know I talked to you about the whole people yelling at everyone thing. So distracting when I'm playing my matches and all I hear is someone yelling about how people are in the way when there's clearly room for them to walk, or telling me to move when there's more than enough room to walk through. If I didn't leave early, I promise I would've been thrown out for making a scene and punching that guy. I didn't pay $15 to get yelled at about how I can't watch my friend play because someone thinks I'm in the way. I paying to be there, don't tell me to go outside because my feet are sticking out when I'm sitting on the coach because I'm trying not to be in the way.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
DQing used to be (MLG style I think? some old-school tourneys at least) where if you're 5 minutes late, you forfeit the first game, and if you're ten minutes late you forfeit 2 (that is, you default unless you're in finals). a system like that makes sense to me.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Venue works if everything else does.
except it doesn't.

the venue is the single most important part of running a tournament, and it can greatly effect everything else, and there were a lot of problems with this venue. the problems were (for the most part) out of your control, which put you, and us in a bad position. the main problems with the venue were the hosts, space, and setups.

I can't not remember a time when I wasn't being yelled at because I was "blocking the walk way". the ironic thing about this is the ******* was shouting in my face as he clearly walked through the aisle without a problem. I can understand that he is trying to run a business, but he was going through the entire process in the wrong way. this was a MAJOR turn off for the tournament, and it put me in a bad mood for a large part of the remaining tournament. a large portion of my time was spent outside, because I couldn't stand being inside that venue with the hosts being such jerks. also, later on in the day, as I was walking up to the counter to buy myself water, I couldn't get through a crowd of people watching guitar hero. the fact that he bothered to be so god **** pushy with us, but leave another area crowded, really pisses me off.

if I recall correctly, you said we would have the entire venue to ourselves. I'm not sure if I'm just remembering wrongly, or if the hosts didn't hold up to their agreement or something, but regardless, this wasn't enough space. I can understand that we had a crapload of people, but we knew that before hand, so something should had been done about this. not to mention, there was a lot of room taken up by empty TVs, and xboxes not being played. I feel like the hosts should have known from the first BAC that we take up a lot of table room, and should have given us more room, and you as a TO should have talked to them about this. also, the music was really annoying. while snap and I were commentating, I was having trouble hearing snap, who is generally loud as hell, because someone felt the need to blast a horrible beat for 30 minutes.

god **** setups, the bane of NC. you need to be more pushy about people bringing setups, honestly. with a tournament as big as this, you really need to push people to bring setups to make sure that everything gets done on time. that was really a hinder, because midday, every single setup was running tournament matches, but we still had around 6-8 people standing around waiting for a setup to open to play their matches. another thing is that we had THREE brawl setups up while melee was going. this is absolutely ridiculous. this is not because its brawl, but because that was a third of the total setups that we had. the tournament would have finished much earlier if 2 of these setups, were melee, and one was left for brawl friendlies, atleast until brawl doubles started. we barely had enough room for setups anyway, we had too many setups on that middle bar, and some could have been moved to the bar on the wall if those flatscreens were put in the back.

overall, the venue was the main problem with this tournament. this isn't to take a swing at you maria, but you really should find a more cooperative venue, or have a good talk with the owner(s) so they know that we need a good amount of space.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
cam, both eddie and I threw in money, and iirc jim also threw in some actual product.

lucas, only smith and you were actually DQ'd iirc. but really, not atleast calling one of us was pretty ********. there was 7 of us, and I know some people at the venue had my number.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
And Maria, I know I talked to you about the whole people yelling at everyone thing. So distracting when I'm playing my matches and all I hear is someone yelling about how people are in the way when there's clearly room for them to walk, or telling me to move when there's more than enough room to walk through. If I didn't leave early, I promise I would've been thrown out for making a scene and punching that guy. I didn't pay $15 to get yelled at about how I can't watch my friend play because someone thinks I'm in the way. I paying to be there, don't tell me to go outside because my feet are sticking out when I'm sitting on the coach because I'm trying not to be in the way.
First part is not my business, but this part was not her fault and it was sprung on her. Had she known about this party then she would have made other arrangements. Also, the guy who thought it was okay to have the party didn't know the tournament was going on that day.

Those bouncers were just doing their job, but it seriously won't happen again because Maria has already posted saying she would certainly be getting the entire venue next time, and any time afterward.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
cam, both eddie and I threw in money, and iirc jim also threw in some actual product.

lucas, only smith and you were actually DQ'd iirc. but really, not atleast calling one of us was pretty ********. there was 7 of us, and I know some people at the venue had my number.
Did you tell her you were leaving though?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
also, all you ******* whining about being DQ'd, why the **** would you leave right as the tournament started? HELLO, it's time to play ****ing smash, do that stupid **** later, if you get DQ'd it's your own god**** fault and stop whining about it. I could see if you were within earshot of the TO but you guys completely LEFT the venue. your own fault if you're DQ'd.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
also, all you ******* whining about being DQ'd, why the **** would you leave right as the tournament started? HELLO, it's time to play ****ing smash, do that stupid **** later, if you get DQ'd it's your own god**** fault and stop whining about it. I could see if you were within earshot of the TO but you guys completely LEFT the venue. your own fault if you're DQ'd.
the bracket wasn't up when we left just so you know.

Top Bottom