• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SKTAR Results and Videos Thread

Vega4

Smash Ace
It's sad that there aren't top players using seriously Diddy anymore (there are a couple of good Diddy mains, but they need clutch). If things keep this way, Diddy can't be above IC's, Snake, or even Marth in Tier List... IC's are such a monters, they should be placed way better in the Tier List...

I just miss the times when ADHD, Gnes or Felix always traveled to tournaments like this.

BTW, great work with those vids Chibo.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Shugo lost to Nakat 2-1 in winners and forfeited to RJ in losers. Got stuck with mk vs nakats fox game 3 because nakat opened ice climbers and won game 1 with them.
Who did Shugo forfeit to?
I'm pretty sure shugo forfeited both winners and losers. I'm also pretty sure Malcolm did the same.

:phone:
I will not speak for Shugo completely, but he did attempt to play out the set with me first. By the end of 2nd game he decided he didn't want to play anymore.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
My official shoutouts:

EE- da bes you-know-what in town
Luckay- good stuff having you this weekend
Snak- Hilarious guy, can't wait to do this again
Aposl- also hilarious guy, can't wait for an opportunity to partner with you as well
Keitaro- great event! Glad I could be of service. Hope you'll consider me for APEX staff :)
RJ- we made a great desk team, you're still learning a lot about brackets, but once you get that down you'll be right up there with keitaro. Glad I could be of assistance to you. Good job schooling me in bracket.
Alex Strife- you were awesome and my life support on sunday, thank god for your presence. Thanks for all your help.
TKbro- thanks for your assistance as well, you should honestly consider being a T.O. for brawl, you are cut of the right mold to do it.
Atomsk- Always a pleasure, it's been forever. Captain America was the best.
Gluttony- you're an awesome player, hope you return for your revenge in January.
Mr. R- you are cool as **** dude, it was an honor to watch you play matches. You live up to the hype everyone created for you, for sure, and then some. Hope you enjoyed visiting the USA and Canada and let us know if there is anything we can do to accommodate you next time, we'd be happy to help.
TC1- awesome job in bracket
Gunblade- we should try to commentate together next time, you're awesome
Pierce- good stuff on commentary
Chibo- great stream, good work on sunday.
Mew2King- good stuff eating everyone's leftover ihop
Inui- hope my controller was good to you.
Stream Monsters- haters gonna hate
Allied- my dude
D1- Ma d00
Everyone I was a **** to get their bracelets and play their matches- I apologize. Just doing my job, nothing personal.
Mekos- the best lucas without doubt, good stuff. You've come a long way from losing to Korn :)
Boss- why are you so good?

Maybe more later, have to run.

More shouts:

Mikeray- shoutouts to Adam Gibson for destroying me
Tony T- stay free!
Anti- by inui logic- your mom > ally
Trela- more daring than June. Truly an inspiration
Ksizzle- good stuff showing up

ANTi_

Smash Hero
AposL was the funniest guy at the tournament roflmao

-After Tyrant lost to Mekos-

*runs in his face like*

And Ksizzle : "SEIBRIKS LOSING TO SONIC..... AGAIN...."

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Shoutouts to Ally, Esam, Anti, Trela, Mr. R, Leon, Glutonny, Mekos, Atomsk (the costume had me dying), Nairo, and West Coast for making this one of the most enjoyable streams I've ever had the pleasure of watching. You guys put in mad work, and almost every single set was hype.

Shoutouts to Keitaro for an amazing and successful event. Hope to see you over here again sometime bro!

P.S. I'm glad everyone can finally put most of their doubts about Europe to rest. They have shown that they can hang with the best.

~God Kais!

Esca

Smash Champion
Whoever runs any East Coast event, make sure the one person you don't put on the commentating is Pierce. **** was ****ing ratched.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I disagree, Esca. Pierce ****ed up at Apex and he knows that. People should really stop giving him grief because of it though. He's been giving respectable and knowledgable commentary again just like he used to before that Apex hiccup.

Keep it up Dan, I still learn new stuff every time you get on the mic lol.

Esca

Smash Champion
I had to mute my stream for the 2 hours I watched.

I never said anything about any Apex hiccup.

But i'll quit hatin'.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Pierce's commentating is very good as long as he leaves personal stuff out. Orion also made a good commentator.

:059:

Dcold

Smash Lord
Pierce is a good commentator when he's not critiquing what the players do, and I agree he did a good job at SKTAR, but at some moments I cringed when he started to talk about other aspects. This tournament gave me hope for overcoming MUs.

And @Chibo A friend of mine told me he had to leave early.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I see the OP was updated with characters for everyone in bracket.

Please put Kirby next to my name at least, I know it maybe not a big deal, but when I DO use Kirby I at least want to be acknowledged for that. =/

As for shoutouts, I'll do them... Eventually... XD

Tony T

Smash Ace
My official shoutouts:

EE- da bes you-know-what in town
Luckay- good stuff having you this weekend
Snak- Hilarious guy, can't wait to do this again
Aposl- also hilarious guy, can't wait for an opportunity to partner with you as well
Keitaro- great event! Glad I could be of service. Hope you'll consider me for APEX staff :)
RJ- we made a great desk team, you're still learning a lot about brackets, but once you get that down you'll be right up there with keitaro. Glad I could be of assistance to you. Good job schooling me in bracket.
Alex Strife- you were awesome and my life support on sunday, thank god for your presence. Thanks for all your help.
TKbro- thanks for your assistance as well, you should honestly consider being a T.O. for brawl, you are cut of the right mold to do it.
Atomsk- Always a pleasure, it's been forever. Captain America was the best.
Gluttony- you're an awesome player, hope you return for your revenge in January.
Mr. R- you are cool as **** dude, it was an honor to watch you play matches. You live up to the hype everyone created for you, for sure, and then some. Hope you enjoyed visiting the USA and Canada and let us know if there is anything we can do to accommodate you next time, we'd be happy to help.
TC1- awesome job in bracket
Gunblade- we should try to commentate together next time, you're awesome
Pierce- good stuff on commentary
Chibo- great stream, good work on sunday.
Mew2King- good stuff eating everyone's leftover ihop
Inui- hope my controller was good to you.
Stream Monsters- haters gonna hate
Allied- my dude
D1- Ma d00
Everyone I was a **** to get their bracelets and play their matches- I apologize. Just doing my job, nothing personal.
Mekos- the best lucas without doubt, good stuff. You've come a long way from losing to Korn :)
Boss- why are you so good?

Maybe more later, have to run.

More shouts:

Mikeray- shoutouts to Adam Gibson for destroying me
Tony T- stay free!
Anti- by inui logic- your mom > ally
Trela- more daring than June. Truly an inspiration
Ksizzle- good stuff showing up
@Tantalus: Oh so its like that huh lol don't get mad when you get beat next time lol. I don't care if you have Junebug exp either.

You are a great MK just don't let it go to your head. I wanted to know if you are coming to apex so we can play again?

What's The Point

Smash Master
When you post a bracket with caps snd such saying that it is the final bracket you should really keep it like that. My attempt to help the stream monsters with a challonge bracket went horribly there was a lot of switching around in the bracket at the venue. So sorry to everyone who thought Anti was going to play Mr. R or thought Fatal had to play Pelca our whatever else they thought was happening.

Well since some one mentioned commentators.

Nothing was terribly bad with the commentary at this. Before the tournaments started when Chibo was setting up terrible people, like Fats and that awkward white boy, being on the mic sucked. But that was short lived. Thirst needs to stop hating on "play-by-play" commentary all the time. People never want to hear "he forward smashed, now he down throwed to dacus," what they want to hear is insightful and game relevant commentary. Funny yellimg only works in small amounts and during hype moments.

Pierce es better today but as time went on he kept going back to his style of talking down the players and explaining why he's the expert commentary. It wasn't just Apex, that's just the biggest example of it. That 10 minute sob story was also not needed.

I don't know if it was sound levels, how close peopleput the mic, or how loudly they spoke but a lot of peopl were really quiet. Orion especially.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Just a few things regarding Pierce's commentary (and Smash commentary in general) and I'll be done with it.

- He does cite personal experience a lot - but often uses it as a way to transition into an explanation of how it may relate to the match, the players playing the match, or something along those lines (example: before Mr. R vs MikeHAZE he explains how he and his friend know how to DI dancing blade in the ditto to where you get a free Dolphin Slash every time, and hopes that the match will show off what he means; it does happen and he points it out immediately).

- He does state when he disagrees with an option that a player selects, but usually explains why it would have been better to try something else (example: Mr. R vs MikeHAZE when Mike dairs Ramin onto the stage "I don't know that I agree with that spike on the ground, as you can see Snake's wake-up game is really strong); implying that Ramin could have chose another option to perhaps knock Snake higher up or off of the stage and be in a more advantageous position as a result, instead of being in the air and having to land away from Snake's wake-up to reset everything to neutral.

- Sometimes he can be a little long-winded, but when sharing your knowledge of the game - sometimes it does take a bit of a detailed explanation to clearly convey what you mean. It's better than not knowing what you're talking about (which there's nothing wrong with...for instance Coontail brings a nice mix of enthusiasm and eagerness to learn to the table), agreeing with every single thing your co-commentator says, or calling a lot of obvious play-by-play with very vague, repetitive, or simplistic explanations (something that I still notice with a lot of our commentators, even though I still enjoy listening to them).

I believe a lot of our commentators bring something different to the table. They all have their pros and cons, but overall we have a really good assortment and they know how to bring the knowledge and the hype necessary to keep an audience around.

big bad wolf

Smash Journeyman
. Nairo $630 good stuff taking it all kid you are national squirt champion lol
2. Esam $308 good stuff overcoming your fears in bracket
3. Vinnie $168 good stuff reaching your goals/ not over pressuring yourself
4. Anti $114 sad face you had to leave early but good stuff on stocking to life prorates hope that interview went well
5. Ally $58 ggz man i wish i at least got that game 1 i felt it was mine for the taking
5. Trela $58 this guy , hypes matches all event wish he had gotten to mm gluttony it would of been hype
7. Tyrant $35 good stuff coming back into the top 10 despite early loss
7. Rich Brown $35 damnz this guy had to clutch 2 times / vex and will
9: Mr. R impressive comebacks throughout the event , looks like this guy is learning / look out US
9: DEHF fun times after the event hope you enjoyed the pizza
9: Mekos most crazy curve ball in the event good stuff proving everyone in top 5 thread wrong mekos #1
13: Seibrik good stuff surprising everyone vs gluttony and not choking vs sonic again
13: Leon you definitely got to play me the next time if we meet , if there is a next time
13: Dabuz sometimes i wish you had more faith in my advice l as I have a lot of faith in your abilities
13: JBandrew interestinfg upsets maybe people will sop calling you a random
17: Salem damnit kid people were pulling for you to win that match vs m2k
17: Gluttony feel bad for this kid
17: Kingtoon good stuff vs fatal
17: Will damn at almost pulling off huge upset
17: Pelca always getting better
17: Mike Haze very glad you cme out mike please do it more often
17: Atomsk captain america lol
17: Nakat ggs i really do not with to play you first round at a national again lol
25: RJ wow @ this placement good stuff man
25: Orion your match vs lie was historical
25: Fatal lol rocking the dr evil headband all weekend
25: Logic wow nice placing despite getting knocked into losers so early good stuff
25: Kool Aid in teams , in singles , just the best pit , can't touch this
25: Denti damnit , we really wanted you to take that one game , you know which one
25: Bloodcross good stuff overall man
25: TC1 fun friendlies , but please chill with pushing people for mms
33: Minty Flesh not bad kid
33: Shugo why did you forfeit ?
33: DRN good meeting you next time i want to play you for analysis
33: TeeVee ggz ahhh i wish i didn't fall apart after my good start game 3
33: Kai thanx for supporting em in pools it felt good to have someone not wanting me to lose
33: Keitaro thanx for running this event and ending on time too good
33: Vex ggs thanx for not spamming me with ddd and i se you vs rich b that statement you said was serious about olimar
33: MJG really fun weekend , glad we got to meet / need to chill again
33: MVD lol good stuff at finally getting your stuff back
49: Shadow nice to see you playing the game again
49: Shaya fun friendlies at surf and exchange of information
49: Ikon that mm never happened :(
49: Malcolm it aces me sad when you give up/ forfeit to people
49: Pane god stuff not choking in pools
49: Raptor yup you called it same placing .... xml
49: SuperMarioMC lol the double bucket kills
49: Inui was interesting to watch you and sam vs the europeans
49: Player 1 marioparty 2 too hype
49: Mr. Eric learn to change up your angles
49: Asa Akira fun friendlies
49: Pierce7d good stuff getting out of pools
49: Budget Player fun friendlies sorry i couldnt help with the ride
49: To Joe you nd koolaid surprised me in teams

shout outs to everyone i drove out
shout outs to tony t for housing everyone
shout outs to hbd shugo
shout outs to smurf for putting in work to help people ops / ooc
shout outs to the people who almost made it out of pools I've been there / next time just step up
shout outs to chen interviews
shoutouts to easy making me laugh really hard when i needed to laugh
shout outs to heavy garbages hard work really helped everyone with food , directions , rides , just a trooper as of keitaro and the rest of the staff
and thats about it sorry if i missed anyone

8Bitman

Smash Master
None of FL passed my expectations... :awesome:

AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

CO18

Smash Hero
Rofl, sebrik beat gluttonny with ddd. Told everyone on the chat that wario should never win when the MU when played correctly.
Everyone going crazy when he beat atomsk

Trela

Smash Lord
Thank you to everyone that made this event possible for me. Without you, I wouldn't have been able to do what I did.

Thank you to everyone that I met and talked with, even if it was just for a few moments of your time. You guys were just too kind to me.

And last but not least, thank you to everyone who still believes in me :)

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I forgot to do my $20 MK vs ZSS MM with DRN, **** **** ****, next national buddy.

And Trela, good **** in bracket, you're too broken in teams lololol. that's the first time I ever been 5-0'd.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
My 2 cents about Pierce is this

Personally I view Pierce as a way better commentator then myself and it is due to his large knowledge of the game. He gets a little long winded but it is because he is taking the time out to explain something that really plays a role in MU's and he wants you guys to be looking for these things.

He sets up a situation where once he is done explaining stream monsters do have a very steady idea of what is really going to be main focal points of MU's. Not simple things like F-air is good/beats option X, but instead players mindsets and major oppourtunites/flaws they will need to captialize on.

I personally feel people are giving him to much non-sense about him not being a good commentator, He does an awesome job and takes the time to fully explain things. Listen to sports commentators because they take use very similar styles to Pierce but they have Co-commentators more involved taking away from how long winded they may seem.

I personally think Pierce is an unbelieveable commentator and find myself struggling to keep up or add to what he says. All I get from people is praise for my commentary and honestly I'm not even sure why when I'm paired up next to Pierce, he outclasses my commentary in leagues. Even down to the % a combo added on someone's stock he can plow out the math in milliseconds.....

Y'all need to stop hating and just honestly try and politely let him know you think he may be talking for a bit to long......there are nicer ways to do things then say I muted the stream for 2 hours because he was commentating.

Last note I dunno how I come in here and find people hating when all I was told was that all the stream monsters kept yelling to get whoever else was commentating off and get Pierce and I back on -_-.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Pierce is still my mang, don,t be too harsh on him, he's still like 4x better than most commentator and knows what he's talking about. He just needs to stop saying X player is bad for doing X option, gotta remember people choke alot we're not perfect so are commentators.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
its why you do not listen to those ppl and listen to those who know what they are talking about xD

DRN

Smash Lord
I forgot to do my $20 MK vs ZSS MM with DRN, **** **** ****, next national buddy.

And Trela, good **** in bracket, you're too broken in teams lololol. that's the first time I ever been 5-0'd.
:( I looked for you until I found out you left.

I'll be at apex so we can play there.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Pierce goes on way to long with explanations, he constantly brings himself into his commentary and explanations, and the way he words things comes off as very judgemental and condescending. Every person who commentates.with him always lets him take the lead, which he is terrible at, and they are always afraid to interrupt or cut him off. Pierce would be great if he'd stick to the side and just quickly chime in with his frame data and MU knowledge without mentioning himself.

He'd be good with Keitaro or Coontail. Both always seem interested with what is happening and act very receptively to new information. Though Coontail has a much harder time being the lead commentator.

Actually Coontail is a side commentator so that'd always be terrible. EE or maybe Gunblade would be better leads. Coontails thing is that he enables the lead commentator to talk more.

Top Bottom