• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sirias discussions: Currently (???)

Pete278

Smash Lord
Please don't say ***, like Sirias said it's very offensive

EDIT: Wow, so offensive that it's censored :p
THE HALF JAPANESE GUY HAS ALREADY SAID HE'S OFFENDED BY IT. WHY IS THIS DISCUSSION STILL GOING?

Even if you, or even Japanese people you know, don't think its offensive, why can't you just respect his wishes?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
well pete i find the word "stupid" very offensive so nobody is allowed to say that from now on
oh and i find "white guy" offensive also
and "baddie"

all banned words now coz im offended

Splice

Smash Hero
Dekar, the word 'banned' has some negative conotations to it and it challenges my personal beliefs so could you please refrain from saying that as well?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
fine splice, but your avatar offends me
any cartoon depictions of your avatar also offends me, and if i ever see any depiction of your avatar in the media i will bomb you're ****ing country
please remove it, it's now banned
oh **** i'm so sorry

Splice

Smash Hero
And just like I cannot be bothered to change my avatar for Dekar,
I cannot be bothered to adopt different definitions for words, and refrain from using those words, just because it offends somebody who is CHOOSING to be offended.

Sirias

Smash Champion
J@P is offensive to 1 group of people (Japanese, if you didn't realise), makes it's "racist", you *censor dodge*.
As opposed to white guy/baddie/stupid, which basically encapsulates the entire, or majority of, the world. It's offensive but isn't racist, l2history.
Dumb arguments of flawed flaws ****ing irritate me.
Which makes it all the more sweet when I do it to people, ho ho ho.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
oh really kas

so if a word is considered offensive to a group of people then it's racist and should be banned
great logic

think about this: not every single japanese person takes offense to "****"
and this applies to a lot of groups who take offense from other words

to ban the use of ****/****** only separates them further from everyone else, much like censoring depictions of Muhammad is so wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody_Draw_Mohammed_Day

Splice

Smash Hero
But the entire group of Japanese people don't take offense to it Kas.
Some Japanese people don't mind being called *** and what not.

It was used as an offensive term to help the army make slogans and shiz,
but it's the first 3 letters of their name... I mean c'mon.

I can use *** as a term of endearment, and my friends would understand that.
Some people (not my friends) wouldn't, and I admit, that if i didn't know someone and was trying to make friends with a Japanese person I probably wouldn't call them ***, but I'm just saying it doesn't have to be an offensive word.

Off the word ***, Today "offensive" word's are starting to bear less meaning in general. We use **** as a term for "awesome", for example, although that is a bit weird, but also, swear words in general are just used in speech for no reason and people wont take offence, when these words used to carry the weight of serious offence, now they mean almost nothing. Now it's all in the tone with friends, swear words have just become part of informal speech (i think informal is the right word).

Now if I was talking to someone formally, like a employer, I would not use these words, same with ***.

That's coz I don't know them well: I don't expect them to have realised that they don't have to think of the words in a way that bears negative conotations. What *** now means is not agreed on by everybody, and therefore I believe the interpretation is up for grabs, or, if you're smart, you'll just interpret it dependant on the tone of voice pronouncing.

The only flaw I find is that there is no tone on the internet... Yet people still talk with more "offensive" words on the internet than in real life, and without conflict involved, so yeah.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
no words are "banned" geez
voldemort.. ooh i said it.. -.- so lame.

i think this talk is more about labeling other people... than discriminaiton...

theres a different between saying
i love all ***s
and
go **** an octopuss ya ****ing ***.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Agree with Dekar suprisingly, Aussies can be offensive then as it is singling out a group of people so therefore I can choose to be offended by it because Australians were originally convicts and therefore they could be using the term in a derogatory manner.

How many people actually use Japes (=D) in an offensive manner, it was used as derogatory term almost 50 years ago and I really don't see many people of this current generation using it in the same manner.

Sieg

Smash Champion
It's like how I use Sieg as my tag.

Vyse's dad actually thinks it's pretty horrible considering most people who went through the war would relate Sieg to 'Sieg Heil'.

Whereas most of you don't even care.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Wasn't it also the slogan for you know, nazi germany or whatever?

If your logic is, if it singles a group of people out it is racist. Well why is it that N***** is offensive to all people with dark skin? Indians and africans would be offended by it. And believe me, it is racist.

How about this, I find that the description of "brown hair, brown eyes" is highly offensive carrying bad connotations from back when we were considered inferior to blonde hair, blue eyes people by nazi Germany. So could everyone not use that? It only affects one group so it must be racist and because I find it offensive it is definitely derogatory.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if you guys haven't quite caught on, i'm always right (about everything)

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
**** straight Dekar

Anyway I agree with Splice as well on the topic. If I was a black person and was called a ***** by someone (white guy) and the intention wasn't to piss me off then I wouldn't give two ****s.

I find it tiring how white people seem to be the ones that have to tread carefully in words they choose when talking to other races. I mean this is a completely different generation. People shouldn't be offended by a word these days, should only be mad at the general ******* pissing you off with his/her existence.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
^ its true, white guys have to watch their mouths about everyone, but calling a white guy 'whitey' or redneck or whatever doesn't get counted as racist. Melbourne is starting to look like white people are the minority, we need some racial leverage dagnabbit

Sirias

Smash Champion
Sigh, no, not everyone is offended by select racist words.
I didn't SAY it's offensive to EVERY JAPANESE PERSON, I SAID that it was a RACIST WORD which is why it is CENSORED.

Also, you fcuking tards, again, like so many others, stop putting words in my mouth.
Did I say it should be banned? No, so stfu and l2read now, too, you *******.
I said it's a RACIST word.
THAT'S.
IT.
You dumb ****s.
God.

Seriously you can't have an argument with anyone because people make up all this crap in their minds that either don't relate or are made up. Gg.
Fcuking painting things black and white for the mentally handicapped.
Go back to school, you tool(s).

Edit:

I'm pretty sure redneck is offensive and only relates to hicks. Hick being sort of offensive, too.
Might as well call them inbreds anyway.

Words with any taboo is ridiculous.
What's the point, they just MAKE fights break out.
"Oh, hey, *****."
"What'd you call me?"
"A *****, 'cause you're black."
"OH MY GOD, TWO 'words' THAT HURT MY VERY SOUL!"
Grow the **** up and stfu, I get called f@ggot and kock sucker and all that all the time, does it matter, no, so why the **** do you censor it/make it seem so offensive?!
IT'S FCUKING TRUE!
YOU'RE A GOD DANM J@P/BLACK/*****/F@G/CHINK, STFU AND CRY MORE!

C:
Seriously.

It's only offensive when SAID offensively.
Otherwise, it's just another word.
Use discretion, though, if you want to be so 'civilized' and up yourself.

Edit 2:

I just sort of read Splice's post.
I think I said what he said, but much more vulgar, lolol.
It's this generation.
It sucks.
**** being born at this time in life.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
right, a lot of words are offensive when said offensively. but they're not banned.

don't flip out and rage and start name calling just because someone disagrees with you kas, lol

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
saying racist words leads to discrimination

its different... "sup *****" greeting XD
and
"get back in the cotton fields ***** also hands off my tv and watermelon and kfc" discrimination

sure dont get upset by a word, but get upset by the action that follows it.

i think that it should be censored.. if majority of that group think its offensive then it should be censored. if not majority, man up.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
its just that the term *** being censored is kinda flawed due to the way the human mind works when it comes to shortening things

oh hey lets shorten davids name
*takes the first syllable*
dave

oh hey lets shorten Tomas' name
*take first syllable*
tom

oh hey lets shorten the country japans name
*takes first syllable*
whoops cant do that

like sure i understand the background issues with it, but the fact that its censored on a disccusion board for a japanese based game where of course the term *** would come to mind as a way to shorten typing out of "japanese" fully

youre not expecting ww2 vets to be in here and pull out slang from that era

youre expecting un-educated about ww2 15-25 year olds to come talk about video games here, japanese ones at that

its pretty silly since youll take 99/100 cases here on smashboards where the term *** has been censored and i can garuntee you it wasnt used in an offensive way

but as much as i would like to bring up some dodgey logic point that "white" should be censored or something, remember the fact that white is an actual colour and word

the term *** is ONLY used in the context for shortening japanese, that 3 letter word does not double for some actual word with proper meaning, the fact *** is censored is justified just somewhat flawed and out-dated

maybe the day that people are fully educated about ww2 they would understand, but that doesnt happen in todays schools

heck in any aus school they tell you next to nothing about ww2 since we werent even involved

personally i think it shouldnt be censored, but of course if it wasnt, i wouldnt be suprised if it did end up being used as a racial slur

my 4am 2c

isthattim?

Smash Ace
heck in any aus school they tell you next to nothing about ww2 since we werent even involved
lol what?
i dont know how they do things in victoria but we spent like an entire year on the great war and the second world war.
39,761 australian deaths as a result of service
almost 1 million participants in an estimated population of approx 7 million

whats an involvement?
That single statement is far more offensive than any use of *** on any messageboard in the history of the internet imo.

Pete278

Smash Lord
That's gotta be the up there for one of the most ignorant things I've read on these boards. My grandfather died serving in the Australia navy in WW2, so, yeah, we were in fact there.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I excluded Alzi for obvious reasons. Its like, if I were to say 'being punched in the nose is one of the most painful things', and you replied 'getting hit by a truck hurts more'. :p

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i just proved my own point saying that schools don't educate us on ww2, at least here in vic

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i just proved my own point saying that schools don't educate us on ww2, at least here in vic
Please don't include the entire state of Victoria with your ignorance. WWII is in the curriculum of Victorian Schools.

I am highly disappoint.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
maybe if you choose history in vce, cao, but i didn't and i never learned anything about either world war

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
^ What's with the assumption? History isn't elective where I went and is taught in Y7-8-9. I took mandatory Australian History in Y8. You guys are in some strange schools...

Sieg

Smash Champion
I thought the History of the wars was mandatory in English? That's where I studied about it anyway.

Should know these things anyway lol, they're part of your history.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Have you guys not heard of the kakoda track campaign? loooool.

**** invading new guinea, and so they had to be stopped before they could approach Australia's northern coast. Australia was heavily involved with WW2 AND ww1, they taught me this in the 9th grade.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well since History's becoming a subject of it's own now in years 1-7 with this national curriculum garbage, I guess people will have no excuse for being ignorant soon.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
yeah mandatory in qld it seems...priority to ww1 because its the first and has that movie galipoli.. =P

next topic??
aliens? addictions?
violence in media (games etc)?
privacies?
oil spills...
anything precise provoked by these?

Zero

Smash Hero
lmoa, what do they expect little kids to take out of history lessons, besides pages upon pages of margin doodles?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
sieg please understand that knowledge of historic events that occurred before you were born has to be learned and isn't innate

i agree that history should be compulsory but... it clearly isn't lol

Top Bottom