• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that we have to press A as soon as the PS activates, and since its almost frame perfect, we hold the shield more than usual so when we press A we do a grab instead, we are not canceling correctly...

Or pressing A at the right time.

Its sad i was really planning on Abusing this tecnique... but it abuses you instead :S

Tujex

Smash Ace
Yeah I've been trying it lately and getting pwn'd by it. It seems more like a predict thing than something that comes out naturally, since whenever I PS I end up having to think about using the PSC and either drop my shield and get hit, or hold it to long and grab (which whiffs most likely). I hate how this video makes it look so easy, lol.

Practice makes perfect right...

BTW, I have a simple question. ZSS SideB....any tips on how to deal with it?

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt... DownB.

Shield the SideB and you can pretty much do anything like, Dsmash, Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt, Jab combo.

From a far distance, Ftilt is pretty much the best thing you can use, angle it Downwards too.

DownB is risky, theres always a chance it will trade with the SideB, since DK does alot of **** before actually pounding the ground.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Yeah. Just shield it really. It's not worth challenging, it's a free punish if you shield it and the spacing is bad. Whenever a ZSS does a retreating short hop, they're most likely doing a side-b, so you can run + shield when that happens. Don't run against ZSS unless you get a good oppurtunity like that, though!

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
Well you need to jump in order to Bair, sorry sir, your argument is invalid.
What Chaosgriffin said is that you can´t jump much against ZSS because she is awesome at juggling and jumping will put you at a high risk to being juggled...

and ZSS is going to juggle DK forever...and ever.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
So guys I'm gonna start to second DK now.

I got the basics down, anything tricky I should know that the DK boards have been keeping to themselves?
SA extension? invincibility extension?

secretly though, we ****....hard

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
So guys I'm gonna start to second DK now.

I got the basics down, anything tricky I should know that the DK boards have been keeping to themselves?
CSS is still really broken. Tell people it's useless because you can just hold up (the best trick!). Do it anyways. Learn to land your up-b laglessly on various platforms. It's a thousand times more useful than you would think, it opens up so many possibilities.

My personal favorite advanced tech is water canceling. If you use side-taunt after getting out of water, it'll shake all the water off you. I'll make a vid of it soon I think.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
What are basic options for getting back on-stage from the ledge?
I'm usually doing up-b to lagless ending on either stage or platform (such as on battlefield) but it's getting punished a lot.
(I'm very new to this character, as you might have guessed)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Getting back to the ledge is really tough. You will rarely make it without damage in the process. Mix things up.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
I am trying
But I'm out of ideas atm :s
Up-B stalling.. Up-b to lagless ending.. get-up attack (below 100).. empty get-up (if they back off). Am I missing something good, or is that basically what I'm working with?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I am trying
But I'm out of ideas atm :s
Up-B stalling.. Up-b to lagless ending.. get-up attack (below 100).. empty get-up (if they back off). Am I missing something good, or is that basically what I'm working with?
press the opposite way trying to get off a ledge> charge a reverse 1 punch> cancel> double jump back on the stage.

I've not actually done this before because I don't think DK's double jump goes that high but try it out and get back to me.

also, we have more options than a lot of characters

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Lol thanks, I didn't see that. I guess dk does have a few options, I'll give them a try :)

One more question: If I get launched s.t. I know I'll die regardless of DI, is it best to bair then up-b (or reverse forward-b) or do it without the bair? I can't tell if bair gets rid of the hitstun faster..

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Lol thanks, I didn't see that. I guess dk does have a few options, I'll give them a try :)

One more question: If I get launched s.t. I know I'll die regardless of DI, is it best to bair then up-b (or reverse forward-b) or do it without the bair? I can't tell if bair gets rid of the hitstun faster..
Bair definitely gets rid of the hit stun faster.

It's prefered you UpB, but I think you can side B as well, and you can charge a punch while you fall, press the shield button in mid fall, and upBto recover to the ledge.

:dk2:

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
however when you are falling and charging your punch, make sure you cancel it early if you do not know the timing for it. cause you can air dodge if you push shield at the wrong, and suicide. so just cancel your chrage a bit higher and you will be fine

also ledge drop up air, and you can land on the stage or fall down after it, or punch

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Note that! When you cancel the Punch Charge DK has a little lag before stopping, this confuses me sometimes making me think i didnt press R enough, LIES!! You will air dodge and Die!

This has happened to me lots, and i hate it.

Cancel your punch early and just wait for him to do so, dont rush pressing R.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Note that! When you cancel the Punch Charge DK has a little lag before stopping, this confuses me sometimes making me think i didnt press R enough, LIES!! You will air dodge and Die!

This has happened to me lots, and i hate it.

Cancel your punch early and just wait for him to do so, dont rush pressing R.
Lol yes, this is exactly what was happening, I was about to ask you guys about that =p
Thanks again

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
You need to be close to the ground before you hit it at the end of your upB. Recovering you need to be a bit below even with the stage when you upB. The same can be done with platforms.

I'm sure another DK could explain this better/properly

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
The best way to get an idea of how much vertical distance DK's up-b gets is to drop off the ledge, up-b, hold down, and then go onto the stage with it. Just do that for a while, and try to do it from further off stage, then move on to the raised platforms on battlefield. Just practicing it is how you'll learn it, basically.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
D3 is easily DK's worst matchup. In my opinion no one comes close to the frustration that is Dedede.

Worst stage - Eh...There are few stages I really -hate- playing with DK, but having platforms are a plus considering getting grabbed/camped + DK = bad for DK. So I'll go with FD as well.

Neon!

Smash Lord
If the infinite and walking cg is banned ddd is not our worst mu. We beat him in the air and combo him well, olimar and mk are overall much harder imo.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
If the infinite and walking cg is banned ddd is not our worst mu. We beat him in the air and combo him well, olimar and mk are overall much harder imo.

I'd have to say Falco would be our hardest by far if DDDs illegal chain grabs are banned.

:dk2:

Neon!

Smash Lord
lol fox is not that bad compared to falco and olimar, mk is our real problem if they abuse tornado. Our worst stages are frigate and fd.

Cable

Smash Lord
MK is DK's hardest MU if they are patient and punish you on time and tornado perfectly. I think their best stagest are probably frigate but call me crazy also Brinstar ughh.

After MK its def Falco and Olimar both are good on FD

Top Bottom