• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
All of this talk about secondaries raises an important question: Why do people bother using anyone other than MK? Especially the top level players. Do all of the top level players who use characters aside from MK secretly think that their character is a MK-counter or that the community assessment of MK's match-ups and strengths is flawed? Why do they bother with anyone else?

Personally, I think there is a type of soft-ban already in place against MK in many areas of the country, and it is responsible for this phenomenon. Why else would competitive players bother using flawed characters when they can use a character who is only held back by your own skill level? Not using MK is a foolish decision from a competitive standpoint due to his unique immunity to counter-picking, yet many players opt not to use him.

It'd be fascinating to know exactly how much character usage is either directly or indirectly affected by the bias against MK usage that seems to be present in many areas; in other words, how many players have chosen to use weaker characters that hinder their ability to win rather than having to deal with being looked down upon or ridiculed.

Or do the top players simply play characters that they like rather than a character that can be shown to factually offer the greatest chance of winning? If this is the case, how much does this behavior alter tournament results in a such an artificial fashion as to render tournament results invalid as a metric for character potential? If everyone in a region voluntarily avoids MK for no other reason than the people there don't like him, the tournament results from that region are "fake" --they don't accurately represent the true effectiveness of the characters in Brawl. I wonder if any regions are actually that deeply affected by voluntarily avoiding using MK.

Also, this isn't a question of "Why use anything other than High-Tier" (a question that has been discussed to death already) --this is a question of "Why use anything other than a character who has no counters?", a problem that didn't exist in Melee. Top-Tier in Melee had counter-picks. MK has no (universally agreed upon) counterpicks. This makes him a completely new problem.

People use other characters because they want to actually have fun with the game. Noone thinks their character or themselves can counter MK, because it simply isn't possible. Anyone who has switched to MK since the discovery of his godliness is simply "in it to win it" and nothing more. I like to play because its a fun hobby, I meet and talk to a lot more people. Its something I good at and like to improve on, as is the same with many players.

I just think some tournament hosts should ban him. This is just going in circles now. Some people strongly believe that he should be banned, while others think it's too early. A lot of influential members already seem upset with him being involved in the tournament scene and are attesting his too goodness... so make yourselves happy XD. You'll only get better with your other worthwhile characters if you don't feel pressured to pick Metaknight ;p... and maybe if everyone decides the banners are whiners, at least your secondary will be tournament trained and ready to compete when the ban gets lifted XD.
So how do we go about banning him around here Anther, cause it really needs to happen.

I think the answer is this (my opinion, flame if you will, but here it out.) MK won't get banned as of now. But the only true way to ban him, is to be him. Abuse him. Show others why he needs to be banned, and others will soon follow. Even the MK mains can't deny a one character game is ridiculous.

MK's getting old. As is my patience with this game.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Wow, the No MK Ban option is catching up EVER SO SLIGHTLY.
thats because a lot of people just go ban MK? I beat my friends all the time. This one guy from the Ike boards who never goes to tournaments wait not never goes has never been to a tournament came in and argued that he shouldn't be banned. I told him he had no say in this and he said yes I do I play wifi so this affects me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats because a lot of people just go ban MK? I beat my friends all the time. This one guy from the Ike boards who never goes to tournaments wait not never goes has never been to a tournament came in and argued that he shouldn't be banned. I told him he had no say in this and he said yes I do I play wifi so this affects me.
yea but theres just as many invalid people voting for the ban, so dont try to say that one sides opinion doesnt count, if anything this poll either proves a point, or means absolutely nothing. its just like the actual ban, all or nothing. you cant ban part of MK, just as you cant ban a part of this poll.

@jesiah, dude, CGs when the hell did that happen?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure a character is overpowered if it helps a player like Inui beat a player like Bum (even a couple rounds). Also... why people think MK vs DK is even is beyond me. People claim that Bum is one of, if not the best DK out there right now, and he got manhandled by Spam (b/c he doesn't walk into Donkey Punches or do stupid **** that the other player mentioned here was doing).

http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterofFlare

That guy hosted the videos.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
I'm pretty sure a character is overpowered if it helps a player like Inui beat a player like Bum (even a couple rounds). Also... why people think MK vs DK is even is beyond me. People claim that Bum is one of, if not the best DK out there right now, and he got manhandled by Spam (b/c he doesn't walk into Donkey Punches or do stupid **** that the other player mentioned here was doing).

**** Whorenado...:mad:

Deoxys

Smash Lord
There are a number of regions with poor MK dominance because anyone who plays MK is looked down upon, essentially making him soft-banned.
Wait a minute here, weren't you the same person who argued with me that a softban couldn't work in the US because of our culture!? If it was someone else, I'm truly sorry, but I'm pretty sure it was you in which case you're ****ing ********....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2i-KWp2Vg&feature=related

Since it's relevant, anyone mind telling me what MK was doing under FD for well over a minute?
Yeah, that's totally relevant. Hacking the game can make him waaay to overpowered, we have to ban him. OH WAIT....

Deoxys

Smash Lord

Okay, Inui blows in most of those matches, but some stocks they both play well and I think the last stock of the most recent match shows why DK goes even with MK on the first stage. Also, Congo Jungle is a strong CP for DK.

Skyflyer, while we're on the same side here, please refrain from double posting. This thread has enough pages as it is without double posts.

Inui

Banned via Warnings

I got a lot better at Brawl overall, thank you very much. ;)

Okay, Inui blows in most of those matches
lmao, thanks.

I agree, though. I messed up very badly in the first set. I only won the second in losers finals because of what teh_spamerer taught me.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Nobody is seriously suggesting an MK ban because he makes noobs better. The problem is at very high levels of play, MK still has an advantage on every other character.
Save for the fact that the majority of MK's are kinda bad, yet win in tournaments. MK seriously takes the skill out of the game.

Considering the state of Brawl right now, I don't think we can wait until next summer. By then, the game will have died out majorly and the community will have deteriorated considerably.
Except for the fact that MK can only go downhill from here. Give him time to devolve. Give people time to get better instead scrubbing out to MK's. Its easy to tell a bad MK from a good MK.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Using a script I did some analysis on the people who have voted, partially to see how big of an effect alts were having.

The following 13 users joined after the poll was created and voted to BAN Meta Knight: Buffles, coolstorybro, Drephigami, Handyman, Icntspll, Lifeshroom, qBALL6400, qerkdtx, Shaded_Snow, STMH,
Teran17, Vincent46, Zelgius.

The following 4 users joined after the poll was created and voted NOT TO BAN Meta Knight: BlackaDenBlack, IAmSmarterThanYou, morbidlyobssesed, poisonedkris.

I also grouped all the people who had voted into classes based on how many months they have been a smashboards member and plotted this graph:

Towards the right side the graph is a bit crazy simply because few people who have been members that long voted, so the ratio of them that voted to ban is going to be extreme.

The most interesting obversations you can make from the graph are toward the left side. In particular, newly joined users seen evenly split on whether to ban Meta Knight. I recommend you ignore the parts of the graph > 25 or so since past that point not many people were voting at all.

For the record I think Meta Knight should NOT be banned, so keep that in mind before you throw around any theories of ulterior motive to posting these statistics; it's as simple as me finding them interesting.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Using a script I did some analysis on the people who have voted, partially to see how big of an effect alts were having.

The following 13 users joined after the poll was created and voted to BAN Meta Knight: Buffles, coolstorybro, Drephigami, Handyman, Icntspll, Lifeshroom, qBALL6400, qerkdtx, Shaded_Snow, STMH,
Teran17, Vincent46, Zelgius.

The following 4 users joined after the poll was created and voted NOT TO BAN Meta Knight: BlackaDenBlack, IAmSmarterThanYou, morbidlyobssesed, poisonedkris.

I also grouped all the people who had voted into classes based on how many months they have been a smashboards member and plotted this graph:

Towards the right side the graph is a bit crazy simply because few people who have been members that long voted, so the ratio of them that voted to ban is going to be extreme.

The most interesting obversations you can make from the graph are toward the left side. In particular, newly joined users seen evenly split on whether to ban Meta Knight. I recommend you ignore the parts of the graph > 25 or so since past that point not many people were voting at all.

For the record I think Meta Knight should NOT be banned, so keep that in mind before you throw around any theories of ulterior motive to posting these statistics; it's as simple as me finding them interesting.
Really? Like...honestly? Am I really seeing this? *sigh*

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
basically we need more data and evidence that he soundly beats every other character. and that tourney attendance is dropping before everyone will agree

Deoxys

Smash Lord
lmao, thanks.

I agree, though. I messed up very badly in the first set. I only won the second in losers finals because of what teh_spamerer taught me.
Sorry, I didn't mean blows like... blows.:urg: I meant you weren't playing well enough most of the time to use the result as evidence towards the matchup. There were stocks were you played extremely well, but most of the time you were imperfect.

Really? Like...honestly? Am I really seeing this? *sigh*
I know, right? It really makes you think about the quality of the mindset of the community... Unless you're just referencing how divided the opinions of people who have been members from a year to two years are.

Colin, you're the man for doing this.

Is someone here against Brawl doing well?
Lol, you're so dumb if you can't see that there are two sides to his dilemma.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
My Meta Knight was inexperienced that day. Second tournament I used him as my main LOL. I did play really badly and messed up a lot due to my inexperience at the time. I did indeed blow. I'm not offended at all.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I didn't call you dumb, unless you actually can't see what I mean by there being sides....
I'm well aware there are two possibilities, but I'd really hope we're all trying for the same goal.

Sometimes I wonder about some of the "No" voters though, as an awful lot of namecalling seems to originate from people holding that viewpoint...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I'm well aware there are two possibilities, but I'd really hope we're all trying for the same goal.

Sometimes I wonder about some of the "No" voters though, as an awful lot of namecalling seems to originate from people holding that viewpoint...
I didn't namecall you, I just retaliated since suggesting that I suggested some of us aren't out for the good of Brawl offended me. All I was saying was that we were on the same side of the debate....

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator

Oh dear

I personally think not, but I did love the notion of the game patches through homebrew when it came up. Ah well.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well, regardless of what he's doing, it's stalling and it's against the rules, this particular glitch (or hack) doesn't affect much in tournament-level play.
I would do the same, but some people who get annoyed if he had multiple banned tactics. Trying to enforce multiple bans would be hard to do with the less experienced crowd.

Yeah, that's totally relevant. Hacking the game can make him waaay to overpowered, we have to ban him. OH WAIT....
It isn't proven to be a hack, for all we know he found a way to jump under FD for infinite time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom