• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
Ok maybe I shouldn't have called you stupid for that but I can do it for that quote and you denying it. There is a view post link in ever quote go back and check it your self. It is annoying because it's your mistake.
First: My lack of knowledge for this button doesn't make me stupid. It's a feature that I've never seen or been told of before, so there's no way I could've been aware of it.

Second: Something messed up with the multiquote thing because it tagged you as the person who said something that Aver said. It was not my mistake. I got angry at you because I did not even realize what had happened because I didn't do as you claimed and 'put words in your mouth', so I thought you were just saying things. Sorry about that misunderstanding.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
No. people like Luigi and Ganon were C rank in melee, but did they ever win anything big? EVER? nope. not even close save maybe one time.
C rank is not viable in large tournaments to get any paying position or even a noticeable top position.
UNLESS
you can prove me wrong. I want every and all Pro-Ban persons to prove me wrong, or at least try. Seriously, you're all spouting theory and "what if" but do you not realize that Tournament data is what matters and what gets noticed? If MK won only slightly more tourneys than snake, Pro-Ban would have so little to fall back on since matchups are all subjective anyways. If you don't I have no choice but to assume that they'd be just as bad off as now.
So, what makes DK so special he deserves the rules to be altered to move him out of C rank? What about the other characters in C rank or below? Why don't we put in an artificial crutch to benefit them?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Y'know the main problem with this thread is that no one except for a very few people are willing to at least read a few posts to get an idea of the current context of the argument before they start scanning posts, finding things that pop out, and responding to them with impulsive comments. It's no wonder that **** goes nowhere because people just want to say something out loud rather than try to actual make a cohesive point

This is exactly what I ****ing mean. Everyone's just a bunch of twitch-response idiots.
1. ive been keeping up with this thread since it was made. get your facts straight.

2. i misunderstood your post, you shouldnt be getting on my case so harshly seeing as i think you did the same thing to aver not 10 minutes ago.

3. You were just flat out wrong on points 1 and 2 but in the quote, the first two bolded portions are hypocritical, and the rest is entirely subjective. and since you are being subjective the things you say have no worth in this debate

Subjection = meaningless

i did what i said i would do. good day sir.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
So, what makes DK so special he deserves the rules to be altered to move him out of C rank? What about the other characters in C rank or below? Why don't we put in an artificial crutch to benefit them?
Another example of people just twitch-posting without even understanding what is being said.

I just give up. No one here obviously actually gives a **** about the DeDeDe infinite or not, they just want to prove everyone else wrong at something, anything but the DeDeDe infinite. Because heaven forbid if we actually read the statement we are going to respond to.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Fighting game communities have different standards for such things than other communities (although FPS communities tend to just patch things away rather than ban things).
I hadn't given this much thought, but I suddenly find it incredibly interesting. What's going on with the patch-the-problem-away online gaming communities? Have they totally abandoned the Sirlin approach to competitive gaming that is so highly championed in fighting game circles? Consider an RTS game like Starcraft. Starcraft has been HEAVILY patched all throughout it's life cycle. A very high percentage of patches are implemented specifically to make the game better balanced. When players discover a matchup-breaking exploit that Zerg has over Terran, how does the community react?

They don't say, "Leave it in! But you better stop picking Terran when you're up against a Zerg player."

Instead they say, "Patch that **** up! Restore balance!"

Yes, I realize that Starcraft has three "characters," so a matchup-breaking exploit is a way bigger deal. But that example is just for illustration. A tiny exploit doesn't have to be matchup- or game-breaking to be "balanced" or simply patched away entirely.

What have they gained from this process? A sublimely balanced, intensely competitive game that has enjoyed a decade of hardcore success. The analogy starts to break down when you consider that Nintendo ain't exactly patching jack ****, and we don't have the power to patch the game in the same manner ourselves without mandating cheat devices that many players simply won't have access too. For any number of reasons, most unbalancing elements and techniques cannot be "fixed" or removed from the game.

But in the case of the infinite in question... removing it from the game ENTIRELY would be ALL TOO EASY. If you don't think a ban could be enforced in tourney play, you're wrong. And it would not be hard. At all.

Sure, you can't fix everything... but every little thing that you truly CAN fix would help toward a balanced, competitive game with a vibrant, sustainable community.

So why the disconnect? What's going on with these patching maniacs? Is their philosophy less competitive than Sirlin's? I'm not arguing either way but I'm genuinely curious to see what you guys think.

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
You make some good points. I'm feeling feeling at a bit of a loss for what to say in response, but that could be my lack of sleep catching up to me. Right now I think the biggest problem with your idea is that who's jurisdiction will it be to apply such bans? It was the producer then, but we are without that. Obviously we can discuss things as a body, but I'm just trying to jot down my thoughts so you can help me think about this. Especially since I'm going to bed soon. Hopefully I'll be able to give a more well-thought out views on this tomorrow. Great post.

edit: sorry for terrible typing and grammar mistakes, I'm practically falling asleep.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Another example of people just twitch-posting without even understanding what is being said.

I just give up. No one here obviously actually gives a **** about the DeDeDe infinite or not, they just want to prove everyone else wrong at something, anything but the DeDeDe infinite. Because heaven forbid if we actually read the statement we are going to respond to.
I wasn't arguing his second point. Characters in middle and low tiers aren't going to be winning tournaments. They also make up the majority of the characters in this game. DDD's infinite makes 5 characters have totally **** matchups. This makes said characters less viable, and totally non-viable without a secondary. So what? The same is true for every character that's not in top- or high-tier. Why would I pick Wolf in the first round when I know my opponent can pick falco, and with one grab I'm gone?

You're overhyping the infinite simply because it's an infinite. It's a guaranteed kill, same as falco's chaingrab -> spike on several characters (yes, DDD has better grab range, but getting a grab with falco isn't particularly difficult, especially considering his opponent will always be the one approaching). DDD has the advantage that his is possible to start at any %.

It's already illegal to stall with it, so that is not an issue.

I'm defending my original post because it does have something to do with the infinite, before you jump in and say I'm only trying to prove you wrong with this post. Banning the infinite sets a massive precedent to start giving crutches to help out lots of other characters. Bans need to be consistent, and banning everything in line with DDD's infinite would result in a game I certainly wouldn't want to be playing.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
You're overhyping the infinite simply because it's an infinite. It's a guaranteed kill, same as falco's chaingrab -> spike on several characters (yes, DDD has better grab range, but getting a grab with falco isn't particularly difficult, especially considering his opponent will always be the one approaching). DDD has the advantage that his is possible to start at any %.
I've been trying to reconcile this in my head since the beginning of this debate:

There are some techniques or sequences, like Falco/Pika's chaingrab to edgeguard, or Shiek's ftilt lock, that can be used in plenty of matchups but happen to be break a few matchups due to unlucky character traits, be it fall speed or just the nature of a character's recovery or whatever. If you banned Falco's chaingrab>spike, you'd be banning tons of non-broken applications of the technique. Banning the sequence in specific gameplay situations but allowing it in others would be not only difficult but just plain stupid, so it stays, always.

Then there is D3's standing infinite, which cannot be used, ever, ever, except to break matchups. That is to say, if it CAN be used in a matchup, at ALL, that is a broken matchup. D3's infinite has ZERO non-broken applications. If you banned it ENTIRELY, you would be banning ONLY broken applications of the technique, because that is all that exists.

Is (isn't?) there a difference?

I think this is what people REALLY mean when they ask, "What would be the downside of banning it? Only good could come of it!" Think about it: If you ban Falco's chaingrab>spike, then something bad comes of it-- Falco loses a legitimate, non-broken tactic vs. a large percentage of the cast. You actually LOSE something legitimate and valuable, just to save a few matchups that the technique breaks. Now consider banning D3's standing infinite-- you lose nothing but brokenness.

Does it set a precedent? You bet, but not one that has anything to do with Falco's chaingrab>spike or Sheik's tilt-lock on Fox. The precedent it sets is this: If there is a technique with ZERO non-broken applications, and it CAN reasonably be banned, ban it.

Magus420

Smash Master
That is to say, if it CAN be used in a matchup, at ALL, that is a broken matchup. D3's infinite has ZERO non-broken applications. If you banned it ENTIRELY, you would be banning ONLY broken applications of the technique, because that is all that exists.

It can be used in the Luigi/Mario/Samus matchups. It's not broken against those 3 characters since it doesn't work on them until they have considerably high damage.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
As I was sayig before you killed the last one. (are you able to delete it anyway?)

the main reason it isn't ban worthy is because it is restricted to those 6 characters. it isn't universal. if it were universal it would need to be proven that DDD cuold win with only the grab.

It doesn't break the game in short.

I was first ot vote and first to post ^_^
Not much more needs to be said than this. You don't just ban things that seem unfair. MK's neutral B is more universally gay as are many other moves, but they aren't ban worthy.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Not much more needs to be said than this. You don't just ban things that seem unfair. MK's neutral B is more universally gay as are many other moves, but they aren't ban worthy.
Yeah, THEY aren't ban worthy, they are no infinite but Dededes chaingrab is.

Dededes infinite is so broken, because it is so easy to grab someone with Dedede.

It is unavoidable to get grabbed and that means you're dead, because it is also so ****ing easy to do.

Even if the Dedede does screw up, it is sooo easy to grab you again.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Ban the infinite and not the regular chaingrab.
If a character can be infinted then ban the standing chaingrab (which i believe is the infinte) and have DDD players use the running chaingrab.

Grunt

Smash Master
Cmon, don't be idiots.
I'm not handing out crutches, did you even read my post?
I want to see if Pro ban has what it takes to prove these characters are so much more viable without ICG.

bobson

Smash Lord
Cmon, don't be idiots.
I want to see if Pro ban has what it takes to prove these characters are so much more viable without ICG.
Bum, Boss, Xyro, Sliq.

Bum uses DK, Boss uses Mario/Luigi, Xyro uses Samus, and Sliq uses Bowser. They all typically place among the highest in the tournaments they enter where the infinite is banned. Search the tourney results forum for their names if you want proof.

Grunt

Smash Master
Burden of proof.
You can show me.
EDIT:
BTW, Xyro already participated in this, so i don't need xyro stuff, but if other samus' do well that's fine.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Cmon, don't be idiots.
Um, they are just because they don't have a ~0:100 matchup?

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to reconcile this in my head since the beginning of this debate:

There are some techniques or sequences, like Falco/Pika's chaingrab to edgeguard, or Shiek's ftilt lock, that can be used in plenty of matchups but happen to be break a few matchups due to unlucky character traits, be it fall speed or just the nature of a character's recovery or whatever. If you banned Falco's chaingrab>spike, you'd be banning tons of non-broken applications of the technique. Banning the sequence in specific gameplay situations but allowing it in others would be not only difficult but just plain stupid, so it stays, always.

Then there is D3's standing infinite, which cannot be used, ever, ever, except to break matchups. That is to say, if it CAN be used in a matchup, at ALL, that is a broken matchup. D3's infinite has ZERO non-broken applications. If you banned it ENTIRELY, you would be banning ONLY broken applications of the technique, because that is all that exists.

I think this is what people REALLY mean when they ask, "What would be the downside of banning it? Only good could come of it!" Think about it: If you ban Falco's chaingrab>spike, then something bad comes of it-- Falco loses a legitimate, non-broken tactic vs. a large percentage of the cast. You actually LOSE something legitimate and valuable, just to save a few matchups that the technique breaks. Now consider banning D3's standing infinite-- you lose nothing but brokenness.

Does it set a precedent? You bet, but not one that has anything to do with Falco's chaingrab>spike or Sheik's tilt-lock on Fox. The precedent it sets is this: If there is a technique with ZERO non-broken applications, and it CAN reasonably be banned, ban it.
An intelligent response... yes!

I was referring more to banning the chaingrab -> spike specifically against the characters who can't recover from it. If falco can't end his cg in a spike against x characters, sheik can't tilt-lock y characters, pikachu can't cg fox, but allowed to do it on all others, I think it'd be equivalent to banning the infinite. I also think that if I started a poll asking to ban these I'd get 90% + voting "no", and people telling me I was an idiot for conceiving the idea.

Grunt: What I said was poorly worded... I wasn't saying (or at least didn't intend to say/imply) that you wanted to hand out crutches. Sorry.

Luigi: I've just lost the first game of a bo3. My opponent picks anyone that isn't DDD. DK is now a viable choice, and a better one than falcon.

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think Chaingrabs are garbage to begin with. Not only should 3D's be banned but all of the others as well. You cannot tell me characters such as 3D and falco can't survive and still have a good amount of advantageous matchups without their CGs. If Cgs weren't in this game there would be a much fairer balance of characters and people would actually have to play it out. It's ever so easy to Shield grab me as soon as I spawn for at least another 45% and the chance of a spike I cannot even recover from. Cgs take really no level of skill, just simple timing yet it stacks great damage and leads to unavoidable KOs. Calling it advanced and telling people it's jsut part of the game is complete bull****.

bobson

Smash Lord
Burden of proof.
You can show me.
Boss
ChuDat's Thanksgiving Biweekly: 4th in doubles 9th in singles
C3C ECRC: 4th in doubles 9th in singles
EvilTwinz of MD: 2nd in doubles 9th in singles (A DK placed 7th)
Critical Hit 4: 17th in singles
ChuDat Halloween Biweekly: 4th in doubles, 17th in singles
The Last Hurrah-Cyberden: 2nd in doubles, 4th in singles
SoVa Brawl Singles/Doubles: 1st in doubles, 4th in singles (A DK placed 9th)
The Magician's Alliance: 1st in doubles, 2nd in singles (A Mario and a DK placed 9th)
Etc., etc.

Bum
(Smashboards decided that "Bum" was too common a word to bother including in my search, so I searched for posts made by him. These are all the relevant threads I found, but this probably isn't every tournament Bum's been to.)
BX Weekly Oct 10th, 08: 2nd in doubles, 1st in singles
BX Weekly Nov 14, 08: 1st in doubles, 1st in singles
BX Weekly Nov 21, 08: 1st in doubles, 1st in singles
BX Weekly Dec 5, 08: 2nd in doubles, 1st in singles
PnT Oct 18th: 2nd in doubles, 1st in singles
Harry Potter and the Planking Metaknight: 2nd in doubles, 3rd in singles

Sliq
Only in Niagara II: 3rd in singles
Well Thought Out Name: 4th in doubles, 5th in singles
Smash and Coffee 2: 2nd in doubles, 5th in singles (A Mario placed 9th)
Smashtastrophe 2: 5th in Brawl singles
Viva la Smashtaclysm: 33rd in singles
Huge Johnz 3: 9th in doubles, 9th in singles. Except he apparently used Ganon here.
There were other results, but they were reported on a defunct site.

Xyro has stated his placings already.

For additional placings, here are the tourney results threads for Mario, Samus and DK. The Bowser boards have one, too, but I'm probably better off summarizing it with "Sliq is awesome."

Luigi: I've just lost the first game of a bo3. My opponent picks anyone that isn't DDD. DK is now a viable choice, and a better one than falcon.
And this is the only time DK is a viable choice unless you just want to hope your opponent doesn't know you use DK in a double blind.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
On the Falco thing though, you can be safe by banning stages like FD where there isnt a platform the keep you safe from the chaingrab. You can also avoid the chaingrab much more easily than with DDD because it only works at specific percents.

DDDs infinite is universal in its applications to those 6 characters, once they are caught they are done for no matter where they are on the stage (neutrals at least, and with the moving CG DDD can set most of them up to be killed on most CP stages) and no matter what percentage they are caught at.

Just though I would like to point out that this is fairly different from most 0-death situations.

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
Why ban a perfectly good stage because of some type of exploit in the game. Yes Falco's chaingrabbing is avoidable but it's not like he isn't a viable character without the grab. You can say the same for the other characters with CGs. The ICs chaing grab i would say is by far the worst even though it is a bit difficult. That's just broken IMO.

Luigi player

Smash Master
On the Falco thing though, you can be safe by banning stages like FD where there isnt a platform the keep you safe from the chaingrab. You can also avoid the chaingrab much more easily than with DDD because it only works at specific percents.

DDDs infinite is universal in its applications to those 6 characters, once they are caught they are done for no matter where they are on the stage (neutrals at least, and with the moving CG DDD can set most of them up to be killed on most CP stages) and no matter what percentage they are caught at.

Just though I would like to point out that this is fairly different from most 0-death situations.

Yeah I don't like chaingrabs either, but Falcos isn't THAT bad.
You'll still see Falcos loosing, but those 5 characters have absolutely no chance against a D3 that knows how to infinite.

If you know the difference you'd see that Falcos isn't really that bad, so I don't mind it that much.

I also don't like D3s regular chaingrab, but oh well, there's still a chance that you can beat him.

D3s infinite is just the most broken thing in Brawl and should be banned.

I don't really understand how so many people would support an MK ban and not this.

D3s infinite is waaaaay more broken (against those 5 characters).

But like I always say... those people don't play these 5 characters so they don't really care about them...

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Why ban a perfectly good stage because of some type of exploit in the game. Yes Falco's chaingrabbing is avoidable but it's not like he isn't a viable character without the grab. You can say the same for the other characters with CGs. The ICs chaing grab i would say is by far the worst even though it is a bit difficult. That's just broken IMO.
Im talking about when you counterpick ban stages...

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
I agree that 3Ds grab shuld be banned because it elminates characters from the lineup completely. It becomes more than a disadvantage. And I agree falco's isnt that bad but if I really wanted to complain about Cgs as a whole I imagined this would be the appropriate time and place. I main ganon so falco can easily CG me from around mid BF and take me to an unavoidable spike in which I cannot recover from if of corse im at around 0-5%. Yes falco's isn't THAT bad because strangely enough my ganon can hang with falco mains. I just think unavoidable damage of that calibur and the perfect setup for many KOs is kind of "cheap".

However after D3's grab gets banned which should happen the ice climbers deffinitely need to be looked at because anyone who can perfect that tech auto-wins...and that's just not right eh?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Anyone who has any competitive knowledge on a satisfactory level would understand that even if the infinite could not be broken out of at all (it can), those characters would still be viable.
it is only within that matchup that they are not viable and the counter pick system allows them to retain that viability.
-_-;

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Anyone who has any competitive knowledge on a satisfactory level would understand that even if the infinite could not be broken out of at all (it can), those characters would still be viable.
it is only within that matchup that they are not viable and the counter pick system allows them to retain that viability.
-_-;
Of course they are (well most of them) still fairly viable. But I dont think that any matchup should be entirely decided by the other character having what essentially amounts to a guaranteed win against another character. And at least Captain Falcon can still run around when he is fighting Metaknight.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
D3s infinite is just the most broken thing in Brawl and should be banned.
DDDs infinite is universal in its applications to those 6 characters, once they are caught they are done for no matter where they are on the stag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PPUh5if2U
There are other zero to death situations in brawl. They have solutions that were found later (smash DI.) and often more difficult than the technique itself, and yet it's okay because...they are solutions. Just as how difficulty is irrelevant when discussing the techniques, difficulty is also irrelevant when discussing it's solutions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV839DT0j5E&feature=related
Done in a real match off of one grab at 0-percent.

Well, we found a potential solution for the infinite on Mario, Luigi, and Samus, since the infinite requires DDD to pummel between throws. But you guys don't seem to care enough to learn a simple button mashing technique that does not actually require you to move your hand positions at all (and even if it did, you'd have plenty of time to do so since you're trying to escape an infinite) and nets you 14 button inputs in one pass (it's quite possible to do multiple passes per second), 17 if you use the perfect setup (which requires you to move your hand a little. Just like Clawing).

The infinite isn't even that good against Luigi unless you let it be. Around the time I can't mash out of the grab hit and it actually starts working, his u-tilt starts being able to KO at that percent anyway =/
It's more like 100%+ when it legitimately starts becoming impossible to mash out.

It's not just mashing buttons, but doing it in the most efficient way you can to maximize the amount of inputs you get per second. I generally still use my method from Melee to break grabs of rotating the control stick while rapidly sliding the side of my thumb back and forth over B/A/Y/X while pressing L/R/Z, but that's mostly good for it being effective yet easy to set up quickly for any time you happen to get grabbed.

There wasn't really anything before that was multiple regrabs but also required them to grab hit me, since for CGs if I mashed out faster they just won't bother grab hitting while doing it, so there's likely a better method than that for the grab hit infinites since ease/speed to set up and hold the controller differently isn't really important.

And remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8z4O24CvI&feature=related

6:21 WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING THIS!!!! Breaking out after one pummel at 129%!?! That seems kind of important.
A perfectly viable solution pops up...and no body cares?

6:21. We have seen grab breaks done this fast, on multiple stages, at ridiculous percentages, and everyone writes it off as the stage doing something. Well, here's Pokemon stadium in it's neutral position on flat ground while the stage is not changing. Refute that!

And Magus's response?

Infiniting Samus/Mario/Luigi from 130%-300% is still broken, and makes those matchups absolutely unwinnable. Like wtf, that's 170 damage off of one grab on those 3 characters! Also, it's clearly just some kind of glitch anyway despite him doing it repeatedly in the set after regrabs and the mashing being very audible, cuz i tryed myslef n cnat do it dat fast
Why are people not looking into this?! We have methods that would make the infinite itself null and void and stop us from even having to debate the issue, and absolutely no one (even the people on the recieving end of the infinite) is even testing this kind of stuff? I posted this a long time ago! Magus posted this a long time ago! And each time it was literally ignored. There were no responses of any kind (actually, when Magus posted he got a response contesting the validity of the video. They blamed the grab break on Yoshi's Island's slopes, and then completely dropped the subject).

Aver

Smash Cadet
There are other zero to death situations in brawl. They have solutions that were found later (smash DI.) and often more difficult than the technique itself, and yet it's okay because...they are solutions. Just as how difficulty is irrelevant when discussing the techniques, difficulty is also irrelevant when discussing it's solutions.

Well, we found a potential solution for the infinite on Mario, Luigi, and Samus, since the infinite requires DDD to pummel between throws. But you guys don't seem to care enough to learn a simple button mashing technique that does not actually require you to move your hand positions at all (and even if it did, you'd have plenty of time to do so since you're trying to escape an infinite) and nets you 14 button inputs in one pass (it's quite possible to do multiple passes per second), 17 if you use the perfect setup (which requires you to move your hand a little. Just like Clawing).

And remember this?

A perfectly viable solution pops up...and no body cares?

6:21. We have seen grab breaks done this fast, on multiple stages, at ridiculous percentages, and everyone writes it off as the stage doing something. Well, here's Pokemon stadium in it's neutral position on flat ground while the stage is not changing. Refute that!

And Magus's response?

Why are people not looking into this?! We have methods that would make the infinite itself null and void and stop us from even having to debate the issue, and absolutely no one (even the people on the recieving end of the infinite) is even testing this kind of stuff? I posted this a long time ago! Magus posted this a long time ago! And each time it was literally ignored. There were no responses of any kind (actually, when Magus posted he got a response contesting the validity of the video. They blamed the grab break on Yoshi's Island's slopes, and then completely dropped the subject).
So it doesn't fix it for all six characters only those three?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't ****ing care. you failed to address my concern.

My concern is simple. What is the psycology that tells you your principle for what constitutes a ban is correct? So far, I have heard that it works before, which almost qualifies, but not much of a rallying point, and I have heard a lot of reasons why the D3 infinite does not, which has nothing to do with what I am asking. The D3 infinite is not bannable. I question now your standards.

So far, Black belt made the best explanation, to look for ways to get around it, but it did not explain the situation with D3 prior to that "discovery" of the grab break, as there was no way around it.

What makes you think that something has to break the metagame to be bannable? Why can't it simply break multiple character matchups? Do not say "because you can counterpick" - because I want to know why this answer is superior to a ban of the tactic that causes the need for a counterpick. Why is the ban such a last resort? And I have read Sirlin, this is confusion after having read the rules for a ban.
As I explained previously, banning for ONE match-up leaves us with a very very low standard for banning.

G&W's turtle does more then that. So does Marth's fair, and MK's tornado, and many other moves once those are banned.

So what, we ban them? Where do you stop?

And saying just because it's an especially poor match-up doesn't mean much because in terms of character viability, hard counter is all that really matters.

And arbitrary bannings, what do we do, randomly pick out moves to ban from a hat? With no rhyme or reason as to why they affect the metagame?

That's the anti-ban psychology, that's where Sirlin got his criteria that banning is an absolute last resort. Because haphazard bans gut the metagame, so a consistent criteria is needed, and it must be a high standard.

By that definition, getting rid of the D3 infinite makes the game "less broken," as five less characters are broken out of the metagame.

So, why does the anti-ban side hold so fast to it's principle that it must destroy the metagame to be banworthy?
*bolding added

Stop lying, 1 character. DK is the only character that can be true infinited at less then about 130.

This is the first arguement I almost understand. Almost.

I am not sure it applies to this situation, solely because the situation is unique. Unless it is arguable whether or not matches with the infinity have more or less depth than those without. Thank you for posting this.

Was this the guiding principle for anti-banners, the primary issue they were considering in this debate?

EDIT: psycology, you know, why you guys are motivated to defend to the death a view that doesn't make sense, the ideas running through your mind that make you certain your correct, etc. Everything prior to Kirio fell back on nothing but the principle pf what defines a ban, this falls on what is behind said principle. Is this what you were all defending?

Although on second thought, this argument is kinda odd.
False, that was a rehash of explanations we gave earlier.

The precadent thing was in fact, a meta explanation of THAT EXACT SAME POINT

I previously explaned that in the context of banning other moves that define a large number of match-ups independantly, specifically G&W's Bair and MK's tornado.

I explained it again in equalizing the the Marth v. Ganondorf match-up by removing Marth's pokes.

You've just been ignoring it, those are the reasons why Sirlin gives such a high standard for bans to meet, because if you play surgery with every match-up you leave a game where half the moves are banned.

This is why.
There are different people, different people have different guiding principals, I may have one guiding principal, and Shadowlink might have another.

Also, you're wrong. Anti-ban needs no thesis because they are not fundamentally trying to prove anything, they are trying to show that the pro-ban thesis is unproven.

Regardless, my thesis is this:

"The standard that we would have to be using for ban is far too low, it would require us to be inconsistent or remove far too many things from the metagame to be workable"

Because if you only think your side is correct in the argument and stay ignorant to the other side than you have already lost.

And how about making you last sentence there actually capable of being understood.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW

No one knows what the other guy is saying anymore, hence rambling.
Like any debate respond to individuals, not groups. That's certainly disagreement among pro-ban, and if you checked the MK ban topic, you'd see anti-banners constantly disagreeing.

Okay I'm understanding this a little better now.

"If the problem has a solution, there is no need to ban."
Unless the solution is to ban it, which makes this sentence illogical, but that against the point.

Now I don't believe this infinite was intentionally put into this game. Which by my standards makes it a glitch. I have been playing competitively in PC FPS for a long time now and was preparing for playing competitively in Brawl. Now I don't know how different the rules are but when there is ever a glitch in an FPS is it immediately removed.

This is one reason why I feel that this should be banned, that it was never intended to happen.

One other argument I have thought about is how it makes the game unbalanced. Now playing competitively in FPS has led me to see some games competitive form destroyed by ban happy people who want to ban each and every advantage. I don't want to see that happen to Brawl or any other game.

The difference is that this ban would allow six characters to have a better chance at winning, as well as not causing a shift from one character to the next. It would not have a negative effect on the metagame and if you kept the ban happy people in check nothing else would be banned.

The problem is right now both sides are arguing for their opinion as I am right now.

Anti-ban feel that a ban is too much and it should be left as is while the pro-ban feel it is a problem enough to warrant a ban.

I honestly think the anti-ban side will win because of the problems that could come from banning something. Although is am still for taking the risk and banning this glitch to further balance the game.
*bolding added

In PC FPS you can patch games to remove stuff like this, but we don't have that option, it's a console game, we cannot create a new standard.

Most competative scenes that aren't run out of specific companies (and often seperate scenes develop when the rules that companies make are too restrictive or arbitrary for their tastes) play with the game, basically "as is" unless there's an overwhelming reason to ban.

Why? Because the glitches and exploits create a deeper metagame. Melee is much deeper because of wavedashing for example, and street fighter has a slew of ATs.

Figuring out developers intent is a fool's game, we can never really be sure, and it's pointless since using the glitches generally creates a better metagame.

Why bother?

EXACTLY THAT'S THE POINT!!!!!

It causes an imbalance between these characters.

That's the entire point right there.

D3's infinite has caused unbalanced match-ups and need to be removed from the game for the sake of the game.
Plenty of things cause imbalanced match-ups. Only when over-centralization occurs is a ban warranted.

Being a "glitch" doesn't afford it any less protection.

1) Brawl was never meant to be a competitive game (see tripping) why would they need to test characters under this mindset.
2) Lets do some math. How many characters are in Brawl? 35
How many grabs do each of them have? 4
So to test each grab for each character against each character it would take
34x35x4
4760 different grabs.
Not to mention grab release on ground and air to add another 3000 possibilities.
You can go ahead and test them by all means.
And that's why we have testing staff whose job is to test that.

And you have to consider that plenty of things, but that's the reason why you have a professional staff.

you have got to be the biggest fucking dumbass I've ever seen.
Give me proof before you go spouting nonsense.

I'm not spamming, I'm not being some whiny snob wanting attention to my posts.
It is seriously the only way to prove any of these characters would be better off or not. if not, there is no reason to ban it, if results prove otherwise, Pro Ban gets more ammo.

and since you sound like the kind of ****** who would bitch about finding results, I'll give you a head start. Bum plays DK and bans ICG in his tournies. Now go find your proof or don't say anything you prick.
DK is high tier...

I'm saying that there was no REASON to want Rocket jumping banned. There's a HUGE difference. If you don't want people jumping on your point don't make stupid similes.

Also Aver. That reasoning is stupid and you should feel bad. Gaming communities NEVER ban anything because it's not intentional. We only ban things that break gameplay.
The point is that if we ban all glitches then rocket jumping would be the first to go.

It's a logical counterpoint to the initial argument, the argument just changed.

What makes shiek's ftilt or pikachu's chaingrab to infinite any less broken then DDD's infinite on DK?

Bum, Boss, Xyro, Sliq.

Bum uses DK, Boss uses Mario/Luigi, Xyro uses Samus, and Sliq uses Bowser. They all typically place among the highest in the tournaments they enter where the infinite is banned. Search the tourney results forum for their names if you want proof.
Of which only Bum matters.

Bowser is not an infinite, and Samus, Mario, and Luigi don't get infinited unless they're at ridiculous percents.

Just break out at the pummel.

Well theoretically he is more viable then those 5 characters, only because of this infinite.
2, and only one of them is a true infinite, the other wouldn't be covered under this anyway.

Pretty much, but Bowser isn't an infinite anyway.

Only DK's match-up is effectively unwinnable.

Luigi player

Smash Master
You can smash DI to get out of ground locks.

And seriously those things are pathetic if you compare them with Dededes infinite.

1. They only work at very low percents.
2. You CAN get out of it. If you smash DI to the nearest edge you will probably only take about 10 damage lol.
3. It is hard to do it.

Now let's look at Dededes infinite...

1. Dedede is probably the easiest character to grab people with and if your enemy isn't a complete idiot he WILL grab you. Especially against DK who has no other choice than to approach Dedede.

2. He can do it all the time and it doesn't matter at what percent you are. When he grabs you you're DEAD. One Z button = win for the Dedede.

3. It is easy to do it and requires no skill. Everyone can do it if they just try it a few times or they just use the button configuration with which you really can't screw up unless you're doing it your first time.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It does not fix it for the infinites against DDD (lol), DK, and Bowser, because DDD does not have to actually do the grab pummels in order to infinite them, that just makes it easier.

However, the one on Bowser was technically never infinite to start with.

So really, it's only DK that's truly screwed. It's only one unwinnable matchup, not 5 (dittos don't count).

But nah, we're going to group Mario, Samus, Luigi, and Bowser (admittedly Bowser's is really bad, but you do eventually reach the end of the stage, and you can always just try to stay on platforms or pick small stages) with him anyway, even though 3 of them can get out and the other is not an infinite.:urg:.

And for the infinite on DK, it only works if they time the grabs perfectly and throw you immediately. It's not hard by any means, but it actually does take a little bit of practice to do it right (since you can't buffer grabs). So much for the random scrub infiniting you to beat you.
And finally....you can still not play DK if they are playing DDD. You still have the option of "learning a secondary to deal with your bad matchups," just like every other character in the game. Bans are not meant to "fix" bad matchups.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You can smash DI to get out of ground locks.

And seriously those things are pathetic if you compare them with Dededes infinite.

1. They only work at very low percents.
2. You CAN get out of it. If you smash DI to the nearest edge you will probably only take about 10 damage lol.
Yes, but you're going against a human who can and will follow your DI. Same effective result except in some stage.

This is especially an issue for Pikachu whose lock leads to a true infinite.

3. It is hard to do it.
Ease in execution is irrelevant.

Now let's look at Dededes infinite...

1. Dedede is probably the easiest character to grab people with and if your enemy isn't a complete idiot he WILL grab you. Especially against DK who has no other choice than to approach Dedede.

2. He can do it all the time and it doesn't matter at what percent you are. When he grabs you you're DEAD. One Z button = win for the Dedede.
So we ban it to save DK against one bad match-up?

That sort of screws with the "last resort" idea behind banning.

3. It is easy to do it and requires no skill. Everyone can do it if they just try it a few times or they just use the button configuration with which you really can't screw up unless you're doing it your first time.
Again, how much skill it takes a move to do is irrelevant.

The need for technical skill is only a barrier, strategic powess in all it's forms and reflexes decide who is more skilled.

Aver

Smash Cadet
It does not fix it for the infinites against DDD (lol), DK, and Bowser, because DDD does not have to actually do the grab pummels in order to infinite them, that just makes it easier.

However, the one on Bowser was technically never infinite to start with.

So really, it's only DK that's truly screwed. It's only one unwinnable matchup, not 5 (dittos don't count).

But nah, we're going to group Mario, Samus, Luigi, and Bowser (admittedly Bowser's is really bad, but you do eventually reach the end of the stage, and you can always just try to stay on platforms or pick small stages) with him anyway, even though 3 of them can get out and the other is not an infinite.:urg:.

And for the infinite on DK, it only works if they time the grabs perfectly and throw you immediately. It's not hard by any means, but it actually does take a little bit of practice to do it right (since you can't buffer grabs). So much for the random scrub infiniting you to beat you.
And finally....you can still not play DK if they are playing DDD. You still have the option of "learning a secondary to deal with your bad matchups," just like every other character in the game. Bans are not meant to "fix" bad matchups.
Why can't it be so that he is only allowed to grab DK three times in a row then.

I never want to ban somehting, and if it gets limited then I think that it will be much more balanced.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
C-stick to grab makes perfect or near-perfect-enough-that-your-victim-can't-feasibly-mash-out-of-it timing on the infinite a cakewalk.
Only for DK.

Prior to about 130 for the others you don't even need to change you hand position to mash out of it.

Clawing it would probably make it even easier.

Except Bowser, who isn't an infinite anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom