• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrArby

Smash Ace
SC is amazing, and even if i had never met you before, you would still be awesome because I contributed to creating your sig...

as for yuna,
the line between stating flaws in somebodys arguement and stating what you think are flaws in somebodys character get REEEEEALLY blurry with him...

but i still admire people who are able to poke fun at themselves like that, cus if you cant laugh at your self...

EDIT
@IrArby
i only found out that yuna was an asian in sweden, (thats gay) like 2-3 weeks ago, and it freaked me the hell out too.

2. just in case you thought i was joking, i really am a (sexy) muscular black dude,

3. about what you look like, its a funny story in my mind with you...
I see your name, i automatically think arbys, and than I think of the arbys spokesperson, but arbys doesnt have a visual representation. so I think of the next closest name... Wendy's.
and I think of the visual representation of wendy's which is the little girl, but than I reallise you are a dude.

So everytime I see you post, I think of Dave Thomas
Fixed. Its border line fanboyism but w/e.

Yea I always planned to use the "Man, I'm Thinking Arbys" thing if I ever ran for office or something. Arby comes from my initials RB Robert Black if anyone's wondering/interested. But yea avatars really throw you off when you actually learn who it is using the avatar. Or they just get you thinking of weird stuff you associate with the image.

Like everytime SC posts I hear the song in my head (the Alien Ant Farm version) and ask myself whether or not Annie is OK. When fletch71011(I think I screwed up the numbers) posts, I think of this really fat red-haired guy I knew in middle school with the last name Fletcher. Sorry fletch. If you are fat, its ok. If not, I'm sorry for associating you with that guy as he was very very fat and a rather losery person in general.

And ambrodeus, I frequently choose to act filipino (very badly in my case) also, specifically by hanging out with tagalog speaking people and spewing out my 3 or 4 filipino phrases in public to make me look bilingual.
Molly guy yang pasco!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Am I the only chubby white kid (who can still see his toes, thank you! I am not morbidly obese!) in the thread?

Jesus. KID and Adumbrodeus are emasculating me, one post at a time.

Smooth Criminal

Wylde

Smash Cadet
Dedede can still see his toes too, therefore should not be banned.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
god, all of a sudden I really enjoy coming to this thread, as opposed to just showing up to correct dumb stuff...
i dont know how many times ive had to state that the infinite works on wolf just cus ppl forget or something...

crap... im getting back on topic...
MUST
FIGHT
URGE!!!

so adum, you like martial arts.
*in announcer voice*
SUK-SEZZ!!!

we should totally spar someday.
i love learning all kinds of stuff like that.

lol@banning adum,
HE ONLY HAS 1 DISADVANTAGEOUS MATCHUP
*laughs and points to self*

im still trying to figure out what "acting filipino" consists of...
so far the only thing i can think of is having a really attractive sister and going to block parties...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Ong5oLQSw

isnt fawkes in that game a reference to something else?

@RBs
its good to have a fan.

SC
yes you are the only chubby in the thread.
at first i read your post as me adum and jesus are emasculating you, and i had a good laugh at that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Well, since brawl is so terrible, it doesn't matter if his infinite is banned or not. If you want my vote, I think it should be banned.
with this guy and the last guy...

i dont think ive ever hated somebody that agreed with me this much before

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
At least Yuna, Adumbrodeus, and myself (however limited my participation has been, what with reinforcing/agreeing with arguments already made) have the decency to not demean somebody while illustrating our points.
I take offense to that!

Are you implying that I'm nice?!

"... martial arts enthusiast who's spent years learning a variety of different styles in order to learn how to fight effectively, resulting in developing a varied fighting style including a variety of effective locks, breaks, strikes, pressure point attacks, grappling techs ..."
Hey, my legs are pretty long. And sexy.

Anyway, who are you, Xena?

Yuna, you might know your Smash, but your attempts to use probability to justify it are downright pathetic.
What part of "Match-ups are not always probability-based, especially when you hit 80-20" is too hard for you to understand?

i only found out that yuna was an asian in sweden, (thats gay) like 2-3 weeks ago, and it freaked me the hell out too.
Vietnamese guy (100%) born in Vietnam, learned to read at 3, learned to speak English moderately OK at 4, moved to Sweden at 6, learned Swedish fluenty in six months, went on to learn French and Spanish. Also, gay.

The Vietnamese think I'm a Chinese exchange student (who happens to speak almost perfectly Northern dialect Vietnamese), the Chinese think I'm Chinese, the Japanese think I'm Japanese and the rest of the Asian communities are undecided between Chinese and Japanese.

My first boyfriend was a Smasher, American and, incidentally, heterosexual. My second boyfriend was a Smasher, British and, incidentally, heterosexual (at the time we met, he might actually be gay but he didn't know it then).

I'm 23, but I managed to pass for 15 'til I hit 21. I still lie about my age and claim to be around 18 to get discounts (and I get away with it). I can also pass for a girl pretty well if I really try and have on occasions tricked 1000's of people at the same time (just for ****s and giggles, I'm not a transvestite, I just like trapping straight guys) and my trappiness has, to my knowledge, possibly lead to at least one guy to wise up about his sexuality.

I have groped more straight guys (some of them with their girlfriends' consent) than most people went to high school with and never been punched for it.

Trust me, there's a lot for you to be scared ****less about. That hot maybe Chinese, maybe Japanese, maybe 15 hot girl you might meet sometime in future tournaments? I could very well be me.

Am I the only chubby white kid (who can still see his toes, thank you! I am not morbidly obese!) in the thread?
5"7' and 116 pounds.

IAW

Smash Rookie
Match-ups are raw probability, we don't use statistical thresholds of "impossibility". "Statistical impossibility" is not "impossible" it's just very improbable from a mathematical perspective.
I am sorry but you are very wrong on this issue. A statistic impossibility is literally impossible and will never occur within a finite number of events. If one applies infinite chances to the equation then that is another deal, but we are talking about brawl here. There will not be an infinite amount of matches played between ddd and dk at the highest level of play. You should do some research before you keep arguing this point. Ask a professor of mathematics or a statistician before you say anything else please. It is similar to one of those things like .99999999... repeated to infinity is equal to exactly 1 (not almost 1, but exactly 1), but I guarantee almost no one on these boards would agree simply because there minds cannot grasp the concept despite the fact that any professor of mathematics or really anyone who has passed calc 3 would tell you otherwise.

Also, on a side note, I know my statistical analysis didn't take into account all the variables possible in a match, or for the matter use any of the right variables. It was simply an example of how one might calculate the probability so the people on the boards would no what I was talking about.

IAW

Smash Rookie
sorry to keep posting on this issue, but I just wanted to be clear, so I thought I'd give a real life example of a statistic impossibility (which is by definition means it is literally impossible given a finite number of chances to occur). If one draws a perfectly straight line and then sets a pencil next to it and spins it, and lets it come to rest it has exactly 0% chance of stopping perfectly parrellel to the line. It will simply NEVER happen. Again, please do some research before arguing against this. Any Professor of mathematics or statistics could explain to you better than me.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*wonders how many other people got moderated

on topic: So is it agreed that the DD's infinite is not ban worthy on the grounds that current criteria show it to make very little impact, and that other criteria has yet to be proven which would result in the infinite being banned.

Edit: Everyone else is doing it I will too. I am like Yuna. 5'9" and 113 lbs.

Everyone should also go to otakon this year...

cutter

Smash Champion
Guess I'm allowed then. XD

I'm 6'2" and weigh 155 lbs. Yes I'm white. Yeah I'm a really lanky guy. My stomach is like a furnace... I can eat all the junk food in the world and gain maybe a pound or two. I don't eat a lot of fast food though; it makes me pretty sick.

IrArby

Smash Ace
*Also wonders who else got moderated. Further wonders if that means moderators and BR peeps actually watch this thread . . . ?

Yuna I think I'd be able to tell whether you were a girl and at least rule out certain asian ethnicities if not pinpoint which you were on sight. Its something white people can't do at first. I've had to learn though because my filipina girlfriend passes for alot of different ethnicities (depending on what asians were talking to) inlcuding latin american. Plus Yuna, I've know a pretty large vietnamese family (I think they orginally came here through the Phillipines) so I'd be able to spot you or at least narrow down what ethnicity you are. Its a gift I've had to earn the hard way.

SC as far as I can tell your the only chubby whitekid as I'm 5"10' and 145lbs.

Yes I think the infinite will still remain unbanned. Its not so bad.

10spamhams 1relevantjammer

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm 6'2" and weigh 155 lbs. Yes I'm white. Yeah I'm a really lanky guy. My stomach is like a furnace... I can eat all the junk food in the world and gain maybe a pound or two.
Loser. I eat junk food, snacks, cookies and other stuff (+ healthy stuff) all the time and I never gain weight.

Its something white people can't do at first.
The thing is that it's not just white people, it's also Asian people, including the Vietnamese themselves. Yes, the Vietnamese themselves have problems figuring out that I'm Vietnamese.

On-topic:
Ban Diddy's nana locks nao?

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
Yuna, Yuna, Yuna. your closing in on 10,000 posts. dont you think you should relax a little. take a break. count to 10 and go and actually PLAY the game instead of making posts about it.

PIKACHU's chain grab on fox eventually ends around 90% while D3's chaingrab on DK and Bowser is INFINITE all the way to 999%. GAY!~! the problem w/ this community is that, no1 wants to be challenged. evry1 wants to be able to win COMPETITIVE matches EASILY. they want to reduce brawl to 3-5 characters like melee was. SO THEN what the hell was the point in including 34 some odd characters in a game. If that's the case then everyone from smashboards forums should just email the smash team to not include any new characters for the next title, INSTEAD start to delete the characters that CANT be used cuz they get eaten up so bad by the BUL7$H1T thats allowed.

o wait...is this gonna shoot back too, well not evry1 buys the game for competitive purposes. well we dont fall under that category. ban D3's chaingrab PERIOD. he's already ridiculous as it is.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Lots of characters + little playtesting = a large chance of having a lot of characters that aren't that good. 3-5 characters is plenty, not counting grassroots stuff.

Nobody specifically wants imbalance. That's just how things turned out.

Rules generally don't get made to help out one or 2 characters. The SBR isn't obligated to care about DK or Bowser, no matter how good they are without one impossible match. Therefore it's up to TO's.

And I think it would be a good idea to have less characters next game. :) Maybe we'll get lucky and more attention will be payed to each of the 30 or whatever.

Fletch

Smash Master
Like everytime SC posts I hear the song in my head (the Alien Ant Farm version) and ask myself whether or not Annie is OK. When fletch71011(I think I screwed up the numbers) posts, I think of this really fat red-haired guy I knew in middle school with the last name Fletcher. Sorry fletch. If you are fat, its ok. If not, I'm sorry for associating you with that guy as he was very very fat and a rather losery person in general.
I'm a tall muscular white guy for anyone else making this mistake. Make it again and we'll have to fight.:mad:

Fletch

Smash Master
Trust me, there's a lot for you to be scared ****less about. That hot maybe Chinese, maybe Japanese, maybe 15 hot girl you might meet sometime in future tournaments? I could very well be me.

5"7' and 116 pounds.
Now you're scaring the **** out of me.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Why is this even being debated. MetaKnight's IDC got banned, but not a freaking INFINITE? This can be carried on to 999%. The limit is 300% in tournaments, but at that damage you can be killed by just a simple side-throw.

This infinite is totally unfair. DDD is a good character as it is, it's not like he needs an infinite. He already has the chaingrab as it is. NO infinite should be allowed, that's just absurd.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Loser. I eat junk food, snacks, cookies and other stuff (+ healthy stuff) all the time and I never gain weight.
Yeah its rather disheartening at times isn't it?
The weight just doesn't fit my body frame =(

Yuna you go to otakon?

MKs IDC was banned because it breaks the game. DDD's infinite does not break the game. So why ban it?

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Something does not have to break the game to be bannable. Theres a lot of stages that could be played on but are banned. Hyrule was banned because some characters could abuse it which does not necessarily break the game, it just means that you gotta be one of the people who can camp. I mean the best DK could face some mediocre DDD and then get grabbed and die cause of how much the infinate breaks that matchup.

M.K

Level 55
Why is this even being debated. MetaKnight's IDC got banned, but not a freaking INFINITE? This can be carried on to 999%. The limit is 300% in tournaments, but at that damage you can be killed by just a simple side-throw.

This infinite is totally unfair. DDD is a good character as it is, it's not like he needs an infinite. He already has the chaingrab as it is. NO infinite should be allowed, that's just absurd.
Counterpick. DUH.
Holy ****, is this really that hard to understand? Quit your whining and pick up a secondary that DOESN'T get inifinited.
Jesus, I don't understand why people whine about this crap. The whole point of having "secondaries" and "counterpicks" is so that you can change a DISADVANTAGEOUS match-up into a more favorable NEUTRAL or ADVANTAGEOUS match-up.
If you are so bent out of shape about losing a match before changing, just drop that character all together; consequently, you won't even have to WORRY about the infinite EVER. AGAIN. EVER.
All of our characters have flaws, however minute or gigantic they may be. Get over it.

cutter

Smash Champion

Aren't you the same Johnny Pteran on AiB that said this same bull**** there as well?

I have a big feeling the answer is yes.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
*wonders how many other people got moderated
*Also wonders who else got moderated. Further wonders if that means moderators and BR peeps actually watch this thread . . . ?

SC as far as I can tell your the only chubby whitekid as I'm 5"10' and 145lbs.
yay for us!

I got one per post, lol.

Well I'm more on Smooth Criminal's side - 6'1 and 230 lbs. Black. I'm just overweight though, as the rest comes from muscle.

Something does not have to break the game to be bannable. Theres a lot of stages that could be played on but are banned. Hyrule was banned because some characters could abuse it which does not necessarily break the game, it just means that you gotta be one of the people who can camp. I mean the best DK could face some mediocre DDD and then get grabbed and die cause of how much the infinate breaks that matchup.
Hyrule is incredible for stalling. Haven't you done 1 vs. 1 fights there? Not only can people run from you, but they can also stay in the Cave of Life and keep hitting the airdodge button when they get hit to live up to ridiculous damages. It's stalling heaven. Stalling is banned. The characters with a camping advantage as it stands are now given an extreme advantage, but it's pretty much stalling by that point.

Also, your argument can be used against you. "It just means that you gotta be one of the people who don't get infinited", which isn't hard to ask at all.

RDK

Smash Hero
Sorry if it sounds like I'm pole-jocking people, but you're beginning to piss me off with your ****ty attitude towards other people Arby. At least Yuna, Adumbrodeus, and myself (however limited my participation has been, what with reinforcing/agreeing with arguments already made) have the decency to not demean somebody while illustrating our points.

Smooth Criminal
At first I was sad that I wasn't included in this, but then I remembered I probably shouldn't be because I've effectively yelled at him in every single one of my replies to him, lol.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I am sorry but you are very wrong on this issue. A statistic impossibility is literally impossible and will never occur within a finite number of events. If one applies infinite chances to the equation then that is another deal, but we are talking about brawl here. There will not be an infinite amount of matches played between ddd and dk at the highest level of play. You should do some research before you keep arguing this point. Ask a professor of mathematics or a statistician before you say anything else please. It is similar to one of those things like .99999999... repeated to infinity is equal to exactly 1 (not almost 1, but exactly 1), but I guarantee almost no one on these boards would agree simply because there minds cannot grasp the concept despite the fact that any professor of mathematics or really anyone who has passed calc 3 would tell you otherwise.

Also, on a side note, I know my statistical analysis didn't take into account all the variables possible in a match, or for the matter use any of the right variables. It was simply an example of how one might calculate the probability so the people on the boards would no what I was talking about.

That's not mathmatically correct, you're drawing the line at an exceptionally large, but still finite number.

Why? Because you can put at least 1 real number in between it and infinity, that's what defines a separate real number. 10^200 +1. Basic number theory. That's why .99999.... (infinitely repeating) is 1.

It might be highly unlikely that we will never have a total number of tests large enough to make the total chance reasonable HOWEVER that doesn't make it "impossible". Why? Because 10^200 IS a finite number, and based on probability, in 2(10^200) tests a 1 in 10^200 chance should occur twice.

I'm a computer science guy, I'm well verses in mathematical laziness.

The reason why the pencil will never be parrel is because the number of positions are not finite.

MK's IDC got banned out of hand because there was no way to prevent stalling with it without banning the tech entirely.

DDD's chaingrab doesn't have that problem.

Jesus. KID and Adumbrodeus are emasculating me, one post at a time.

Smooth Criminal
Well, to be fair, I'm not super-muscular. I'm more the "looks well-proportioned, but very defined" type.

god, all of a sudden I really enjoy coming to this thread, as opposed to just showing up to correct dumb stuff...
i dont know how many times ive had to state that the infinite works on wolf just cus ppl forget or something...
Yeah, but it's non-unique, and escapable (in the transition from chaingrab to ledge infinite).

crap... im getting back on topic...
MUST
FIGHT
URGE!!!

so adum, you like martial arts.
*in announcer voice*
SUK-SEZZ!!!

we should totally spar someday.
i love learning all kinds of stuff like that.

lol@banning adum,
HE ONLY HAS 1 DISADVANTAGEOUS MATCHUP
*laughs and points to self*
I'm game, I love getting new sparing partners.

Uh oh, you got banned, now I don't have any disadvantagious match-ups!

im still trying to figure out what "acting filipino" consists of...
so far the only thing i can think of is having a really attractive sister and going to block parties...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Ong5oLQSw
Random associated mannerism.

I have a disturbing number of these mannerisms. It's quite odd.

isnt fawkes in that game a reference to something else?
Dumbledore's phoenix, Guy Fawkes (English revolutionary, most people today outside of England remember him mostly because he's referenced to very prominently in V for Vendetta).

Hey, my legs are pretty long. And sexy.

Anyway, who are you, Xena?
No... Xena has NOTHING on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom