• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I could have sworn that items were banned because random powerups werent fair, and i could have sworn shadow moses island was banned because getting wall infinited by D3 whenever you got grabbed wasnt fair...
Items were banned because most people here just don't like playing with items for w/e reason. Items-on and Items-off (whether it be ISP or All-Brawl) are 2 different games. And we prefer items-off.

Though in Melee, random exploding capsules were a strong argument.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Every single pro-banner better start arguing that the following technique should be banned or fess up to being biased fanboys:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6290213#post6290213

Yes, you read that right, Peach has an infinite on Wario, which is doable from a grab and on any part of any stage (unless she grabs him right next to the ledge) and which goes from 0-death (and unlike D3, she can combo into a KO move).

It's a single tactic/combo/thing that breaks the entire match-up. Wario is now unviable. Yay.
Yuna, I know you're using Reductio Ad Absurdem, but... everybody and their mother has an infnite release grab on wario (some require his double jump to be used though).

The thing is, he's impossible to grab, not even DDD can do it reliably.

But seriously, Wario players have the worst luck ever. For all we know Captain Falcon could probably find an infinite against him.
He does last I heard.

I could have sworn that items were banned because random powerups werent fair, and i could have sworn shadow moses island was banned because getting wall infinited by D3 whenever you got grabbed wasnt fair...
It was banned because of what it was, not because what it was wasn't fair.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please try to refrain from flinging insults before countering my arguments
I called your arguments inane. That's not "flinging insults".

80-20 is not an auto win.

[...]

I believe, however, that there will be nobody who will try to improve the DDD vs. DK matchup from either side if the infinite is allowed, DDD players because it's an autowin and DK players because its a forced CP.
So is the Pikachu vs. Fox lol-up. You're not going to be seeing many (good) Foxes trying to improve that match-up anytime soon. They just counterpick.

Don't think of a matchup as a situation in a tourney, but as a tool leading to the progression of both characters' metagames. In the case of DDD and DK, the infinite effectively removes this tool.
So do many match-ups. Many match-ups are unwinnable and auto-wins. Yes, 80-20s are auto-wins. There's a slim chance (that's pretty much negligible) of the underdog winning (at the highest level). But nobody cares about that.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, I know you're using Reductio Ad Absurdem, but... everybody and their mother has an infnite release grab on wario (some require his double jump to be used though).
I know. I've brought it up several times in this thread.

Besides, even if everyone and their mother has it, why should it not be banned? Should we ban stuff only if it's one single character who has this one deadly combo on this one other character (or a few characters)? So what if several characters have similar death combos? It's a single combo that is 0-death. Ban them all.

The thing is, he's impossible to grab, not even DDD can do it reliably.
Peach has set-ups for grabs. Also, this is eerily similar to the D3 vs. DK infinite, which is why I brought it up.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I called your arguments inane. That's not "flinging insults".
Yes, calling my arguments inane is an insult.

So is the Pikachu vs. Fox lol-up. You're not going to be seeing many (good) Foxes trying to improve that match-up anytime soon. They just counterpick.
Of course they'll CP in a tounament setting, but while they're not in a tounament, they should, as all good contributers to the smash community should, find ways to improve their worst matchups. Including 80-20 matchups.

So do many match-ups. Many match-ups are unwinnable and auto-wins. Yes, 80-20s are auto-wins. There's a slim chance (that's pretty much negligible) of the underdog winning (at the highest level). But nobody cares about that.
The chance of the underdog winning an 80-20 matchup is not negligable. The chance of him winning a 100-0 matchup is negiligable. The chances of him winning an 80-20 matchup are poor, but not negligable because if they were negligable it would be a 100-0 matchup.

Yes, your opponent has to be playing worse than you, but not enough worse that he can no longer be considered to be playing at one of "the highest levels". And by improving that matchup for the underdog, the skill gap required for the underdog to win becomes smaller. This is not possible for a matchup like DK vs. DDD because the infinite is a technique so powerful that no amount of improving DK's metagame could ever match it. Grab=KO.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
How the heck is Fox going to improve his "grab=0-70%--> Pikachu's superiority over Fox" match-up? Both Fox and DK share the fact that a single grab will ruin their match.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
They were banned because it damaged the metagame not because it was or was not fair dude.
You're misinterpreting the reasons for those bannings.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Technically items were banned because they weren't fair: They're random. It's as simple as that.

Stages with walls are banned because lots of people have wall-infinites, not just Dedede. Are there characters that can avoid these infinites? Yes, but the game would overcentralize to the characters that could avoid them.

Not that this helps the pro-ban argument in any shape or form.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
They were banned because it damaged the metagame not because it was or was not fair dude.
You're misinterpreting the reasons for those bannings.
Damaging the metagame and not being fair are essentially the same thing. Imagine if all characters had equal potential. The Brawl community would be a race to develope each character's metagame. Items damage the metagame because they're not fair. The game becomes a game of luck and using items most effectively, rather than using the character most effectively.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Damaging the metagame and not being fair are essentially the same thing. Imagine if all characters had equal potential. The Brawl community would be a race to develope each character's metagame. Items damage the metagame because they're not fair. The game becomes a game of luck and using items most effectively, rather than using the character most effectively.
No, just, no.
Fair has NOTHING at all to do with damage to the metagame
One is purely subjective and the other is not.

its stupid that you attempt to call them the same.

Items damage the metagame because they are random in placement, several of them are incredibly powerful and there are several other reasons.
As you sai it falls to luck not skill which hurts the metagame.
None of the arguments concerning stages or items involves them not being fair including your own.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Falling to luck rather than skill is practically the definition of unfair. Your counter-argument is self-contradictory.
1. Not just or evenhanded; biased: an unfair call by an umpire.
2. Contrary to laws or conventions, especially in commerce; unethical: unfair trading.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Do you not realize that what is fair or unfair is purely subjective?
Do you not realize the arguments made for banning are not around what is fair or unfair?
Do you not realize the difference between calling something unfair and calling something unhealthy for the metagame?

Hell look at the definition I provided, especially the second one, do you not realize that the bannings do not involve any of those definitions?

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
1. Not just or evenhanded; biased: an unfair call by an umpire.
2. Contrary to laws or conventions, especially in commerce; unethical: unfair trading.
Using items is certainly not just or evenhanded.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
What if I am? My motives for arguing or not arguing are no concern of yours.
Do you not realize that what is fair or unfair is purely subjective?
So do you not believe that objective moral truths can exist?
Do you not realize the arguments made for banning are not around what is fair or unfair?
Brawl is a game, like hockey, and like any game, things can and should be banned if they are unfair.
Do you not realize the difference between calling something unfair and calling something unhealthy for the metagame?
The difference is the same as the difference between a military and a general. The presence of one implies the presence of the other.

Hell look at the definition I provided, especially the second one, do you not realize that the bannings do not involve any of those definitions?
Lol. :laugh:

You can't say "especially this one!" if you're trying to prove it has nothing to do with any of them. You have to show that it really applies to NONE of them, not "especially the second one".

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Using items is certainly not just or evenhanded.
neither is using MK against Sonic.
Ban?
What if I am? My motives for arguing or not arguing are no concern of yours.
nope but it does explain why you keep trying to make it seem like fair is a factor when it isn't.
So do you not believe that objective moral truths can exist?
This is brawl not philosophy.
Brawl is a game, like hockey, and like any game, things can and should be banned if they are unfair.
hockey doesn't ban things because they are unfair either.
The difference is the same as the difference between a military and a general. The presence of one implies the presence of the other.
Hardly.
In a game like hockey, if the entire team lines up to block the goal, it is against the rules, why? It makes the game unplayable. you either perform the same strategy or lose which causes overcentralizing, which breaks the game.
Not because someone goes "THATS UNFAIR!."

ROFLWAFFLE!
You can't say "especially this one!" if you're trying to prove it has nothing to do with any of them. You have to show that it really applies to NONE of them, not "especially the second one".
You missed the point. I said especially this one primarily because it applies most closely to what you are trying to dictate. As in for clarification, it still stands that none of the definitions concerning unfair apply to bannings.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Well, Shadowlink, apparently FAIR is NOT a FACTOR for YOU!

*leaves to do productive stuff like school projects*

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
neither is using MK against Sonic.
Ban?
Fairness is analog, not binary.

This is brawl not philosophy.
Are the two really that distant from each other? What are we searching for but the meaning of "Brawl"?

Hardly.
In a game like hockey, if the entire team lines up to block the goal, it is against the rules, why? It makes the game unplayable. you either perform the same strategy or lose which causes overcentralizing, which breaks the game.
Not because someone goes "THATS UNFAIR!."
It is unfair. It's unfair because the other team has to do the same thing or lose. And it breaks the game for the same reason. The two really go hand in hand.

You missed the point. I said especially this one primarily because it applies most closely to what you are trying to dictate. As in for clarification, it still stands that none of the definitions concerning unfair apply to bannings.
Sooo your point was that the second definition was most distant from my argument and you pointed that out because that definition applied most closely to what I was trying to dictate? K. Guess you win this argument!:laugh:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
its not a factor period. O_O
Anyways I gots to handle some business at my school.
can we hold off any replies til I return? I don't want to miss any.
Oops. Sorry. Well, no worries. You can come back to this page later.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, calling my arguments inane is an insult.
No it's not, it's criticizing the validity of your arguments. This is a debate, not La La Make Friends land.

Of course they'll CP in a tounament setting, but while they're not in a tounament, they should, as all good contributers to the smash community should, find ways to improve their worst matchups. Including 80-20 matchups.
So they are expected to constantly try to improve on their 80-20 match-up (despite the fact that most people either just stop playing as Fox or at least take up a secondary as a counterpick)? And this somehow means stuff shouldn't be banned for those match-ups while stuff is bannable in a 100-0 (which it isn't, it's a 99-1 at worst, it is not physically impossible to win)?

And why does it matter if people try to find ways around it if there's no way around it to be found? That's the most important bottom line here:
Is there a way around it?

The chance of the underdog winning an 80-20 matchup is not negligable. The chance of him winning a 100-0 matchup is negiligable. The chances of him winning an 80-20 matchup are poor, but not negligable because if they were negligable it would be a 100-0 matchup.
The chances are poor enough to be considered negligible. Especially in Brawl.

Yes, your opponent has to be playing worse than you, but not enough worse that he can no longer be considered to be playing at one of "the highest levels".
The opponent has to be playing considerably worse than you. It's not roughly equal skill level either overall or just in that one match (brain fart?) if someone loses a 80-20.

And by improving that matchup for the underdog, the skill gap required for the underdog to win becomes smaller.
But what if there's no improvement to be found?

This is not possible for a matchup like DK vs. DDD because the infinite is a technique so powerful that no amount of improving DK's metagame could ever match it. Grab=KO.
We can't not ban things while banning other things on the hope that a workaround will be found.

Technically items were banned because they weren't fair: They're random. It's as simple as that.
You have the wrong definition of "fair". "Fair" in Competitive fighting games mean that every character stands a fighting chance based solely on what they possess naturally with the official ruleset not unfairly benefiting any specific character(s).

Which means that the rules are supposed to make the playing field as even as possible based on what each character has (as in their own assets, not things such as outside influence such as specific items that unfairly favor certain characters or specific stages).

Items being random is not being "unfair" since the inherent randomness of items is equal for everyone. There are, however, certain aspects of items that are not entirely "fair" overall since certain characters benefit more from certain items (such as bludgeoning items (the Star Rod especially), Smash Balls and how certain characters have an easier time grabbing items than others), but the inherent randomness involved is not "unfair".

Items were not banned for being "unfair". They were banned for being gamebreaking, random, over-powered and over-centralizing.

No they shouldn't. Because every single Competitive game is "unfair" in some way. There are always techniques that are better than others. There are always options that render other options unviable.

We don't ban things to make the unviable option more viable, we just abandon the unviable option. If tomorrow, a technique in tennis was found that rendered only one or two other tennis techniques unviable, people would simply abandon the now obsolete technique and start using the new one. They wouldn't champion for the new technique to be banned because it's not game-breaking, it doesn't over-centralize the metagame of tennis around itself.

It's just "unfair" to people who prefer to play using that one, now unviable, technique.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
No it's not, it's criticizing the validity of your arguments. This is a debate, not La La Make Friends land.
You're a funny guy, Yuna. You know that?

So they are expected to constantly try to improve on their 80-20 match-up (despite the fact that most people either just stop playing as Fox or at least take up a secondary as a counterpick)? And this somehow means stuff shouldn't be banned for those match-ups while stuff is bannable in a 100-0 (which it isn't, it's a 99-1 at worst, it is not physically impossible to win)?
DK vs. DDD is not 99-1. It's 100-0. These matchup ratios apply only at the highest levels of play, remember? If a DDD can't grab DK 3 times doring a match, he's not playing at one of the highest levels of play. I'm not sure what you think a matchup ratio is. Is it the chance each character will win if both are playing at the highest levels? If so, there is a 20% chance for Fox to beat Pikachu. That's definately not an autowin.

And why does it matter if people try to find ways around it if there's no way around it to be found? That's the most important bottom line here:
Is there a way around it?
It matters because in trying, people will be developing that character's metagame.

The opponent has to be playing considerably worse than you. It's not roughly equal skill level either overall or just in that one match (brain fart?) if someone loses a 80-20.
20% chance of success.

But what if there's no improvement to be found?

We can't not ban things while banning other things on the hope that a workaround will be found.
Sure we can. :) It's a matter of knowing that DK can't possibly beat DDD and that Fox CAN possibly beat Pikachu.

You have the wrong definition of "fair". "Fair" in Competitive fighting games mean that every character stands a fighting chance based solely on what they possess naturally with the official ruleset not unfairly benefiting any specific character(s).

Which means that the rules are supposed to make the playing field as even as possible based on what each character has (as in their own assets, not things such as outside influence such as specific items that unfairly favor certain characters or specific stages).
You're right. But if fair has nothing to do with this argument, then the infinite can still damage the metagame while being "fair" based on this definition.

Items being random is not being "unfair" since the inherent randomness of items is equal for everyone. There are, however, certain aspects of items that are not entirely "fair" overall since certain characters benefit more from certain items (such as bludgeoning items (the Star Rod especially), Smash Balls and how certain characters have an easier time grabbing items than others), but the inherent randomness involved is not "unfair".

Items were not banned for being "unfair". They were banned for being gamebreaking, random, over-powered and over-centralizing.
If a beamsword lands right next to me and quadruples my range, that's pretty unfair.

No they shouldn't. Because every single Competitive game is "unfair" in some way. There are always techniques that are better than others. There are always options that render other options unviable.
Games are meant to be as fair as possible. Just because certain techniques are unviable doesn't mean that the game is unfair. Your counter-argument is irrelevant to my argument.

We don't ban things to make the unviable option more viable, we just abandon the unviable option. If tomorrow, a technique in tennis was found that rendered only one or two other tennis techniques unviable, people would simply abandon the now obsolete technique and start using the new one. They wouldn't champion for the new technique to be banned because it's not game-breaking, it doesn't over-centralize the metagame of tennis around itself.

It's just "unfair" to people who prefer to play using that one, now unviable, technique.
And therefore, all of this is irrelevant to my argument, which, if you recall, is that it damages the metagame by not allowing it to be improved using this particular matchup.

cutter

Smash Champion
The 100-0 matchup bull**** has been shot down numerous times in this thread.

100-0 means you lose as soon as the game starts; you don't even get to do anything whatsoever.

Basically 100-0s are reserved for yanking out your controller at the start of the match.

Smash Master
Akuma/E. Honda is 100-0

At the start, Akuma can just start shooting those 45 degree fireballs, and no matter what the E.Honda does, all he can do is get ***** (I'm completely lying, but it's not an unreasonable scenario).

If Bum reads M2K perfectly, he won't get grabbed, and he'll eventually win. The odds of that happening are astronomically low, but it isn't impossible.

If both players predict each other an equal number of times, then you may as well consider 60-40 unwinnable. This is why we have matchup ratios, to account for this mindgaming/lucky guessing.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You're full of it. None of those scenarios are true. Poor players are known to pick Akuma in japan and still lose. Reading dedede perfectly does DK no good because you still actually have to use a move to hit him, which will get shield-grabbed.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Akuma/E. Honda is 100-0

At the start, Akuma can just start shooting those 45 degree fireballs, and no matter what the E.Honda does, all he can do is get ***** (I'm completely lying, but it's not an unreasonable scenario).

If Bum reads M2K perfectly, he won't get grabbed, and he'll eventually win. The odds of that happening are astronomically low, but it isn't impossible.

If both players predict each other an equal number of times, then you may as well consider 60-40 unwinnable. This is why we have matchup ratios, to account for this mindgaming/lucky guessing.
If Bum reads M2K perfectly and M2K doesn't read Bum well enough to grab him, M2K is not playing at the highest levels of gameplay, therefore, the numbers do not apply to that situation. If the gap in their playing level for that match is low enough that they can both be considered at the highest levels, M2K will grab Bum 3 three times and win.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
DK vs. DDD is not 99-1. It's 100-0. These matchup ratios apply only at the highest levels of play, remember? If a DDD can't grab DK 3 times doring a match, he's not playing at one of the highest levels of play.
100-0 is only when it is physically impossible to win. It would be if at the start of the match, there is absolutely nothing DK can do, at all, that as soon as the match starts, he has lost.

I'm not sure what you think a matchup ratio is. Is it the chance each character will win if both are playing at the highest levels? If so, there is a 20% chance for Fox to beat Pikachu. That's definately not an autowin.
Yes, there's a 20% chance. But the chances of him losing is 80%. We can sit here and assume that Fox will read Pikachu's every move correctly and Pikachu will play really badly, but that's not the highest level of play, now is it?

It matters because in trying, people will be developing that character's metagame.

20% chance of success.
And 80% chances of losing. That's a 60% different. That's considerable suckage required.

Sure we can. :) It's a matter of knowing that DK can't possibly beat DDD and that Fox CAN possibly beat Pikachu.
No, this is inane logic. We can assume that Pikachu will just read Fox all day and manage to beat him in an unbeatable match-up. But then we can just assume DK is going to read D3 correctly all day (it just requires more correct reading for DK to win over D3 than for Fox to win over Pikachu).

Pikachu vs. Fox is a lol-up. It's that bad. You cannot win it at the highest level of play unless the opponent is playing considerably worse than you are.

Doesn't matter, the vast majority of Fox players don't try to improve this unwinnable match-up. They just switch or pick up a counterpick.

You're right. But if fair has nothing to do with this argument, then the infinite can still damage the metagame while being "fair" based on this definition.
Lots of things "damage the metagame". We don't ban every little thing that damage the metagame no matter how insignificant. All this does is render one character (two if you include small-step chaingrabs) unviable.

Big whoop. MK, Snake and Falco together render plenty more than those unviable. Ban them all and receive many more in return.

If a beamsword lands right next to me and quadruples my range, that's pretty unfair.
No, that's random. The chances of it landing right next to me instead are, technically speaking, 50%. So both sides enjoy the same odds. It's not unfair, it's random. Items were not banned for unfairly favoring certain characters, they were banned for being broken (among other things).

Unless by "unfair" you suddenly just mean anything that is "not fair to the individual player in a certain situation", like how it's totally unfair of me to pull out grandfather turnips, Bob-ombs, beamswords and Mr. Saturns at an alarmingly higher rate than any other Peach I've ever seen play.

Ban Peach's Down B?

Games are meant to be as fair as possible.
No they're not. Name one Competitive fighting (or other) game which bans things to "be as fair as possible".

Just because certain techniques are unviable doesn't mean that the game is unfair. Your counter-argument is irrelevant to my argument.
Why not? It's, apparently, unfair that certain characters in this game are viable. Why is it then not unfair if in this other game, which has no characters but instead techniques, certain techniques are unviable?

It's still one option (character/technique) rendering another option (character/technique) unviable.

And therefore, all of this is irrelevant to my argument, which, if you recall, is that it damages the metagame by not allowing it to be improved using this particular matchup.
Because you are under the delusion that there are many Foxes running around trying to improve his match-up against Pikachu. Newsflash, there aren't.

You're full of it. None of those scenarios are true. Poor players are known to pick Akuma in japan and still lose. Reading dedede perfectly does DK no good because you still actually have to use a move to hit him, which will get shield-grabbed.
Nobody cares what happens at lower levels of play. We only care about what happens at higher levels of play. So what if some of the world's best players can beat some of the world's worst Akuma's?

If we're going to assume that the Akuma is too n00b to properly use the air fireball and his broken combos and shield pressure, we can just assume the D3 is bad at timing the infinite/doesn't set it to the C-stick and/or just doesn't know about the infinite.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Nobody cares what happens at lower levels of play. We only care about what happens at higher levels of play. So what if some of the world's best players can beat some of the world's worst Akuma's?
That's funny because he was defending how Akuma/E. Honda was 100-0 and D3/DK not.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's funny because he was defending how Akuma/E. Honda was 100-0 and D3/DK not.
He actually said that he was totally making **** up. But I think it's possible that Akuma actually has at least one 0-100 match-up because of his air fireballs. Also, even if he was using bad logic (if he was), that's no excuse for you to use bad logic and think you'll get away with it.

They literally break the game. If there are characters with no viable work-around for the air fireballs, he could just air fireball them all day (and since there's no way for said character to either get through the barrage of air fireballs or do anything other than just block them, he could just do it 'til time ran out or their health reaches 0, whichever comes first), wait for an opening and then wail on them. He could also air fireball into one of those BS hitstun locks. Or air fireball into random safe combos into yet another air fireball.

I do not play SSF2T Competitively nor do I even play it Casually. I am not claiming any of this is possible. I'm just saying that if this stuff is possible, Akuma indeed could possess 100-0 match-ups.

Smash Master
Actually, I was conjuring a hypothetical scenario outlining what a 100-0 matchup is like and how DK/D3 differs from that model.

Learn to read plx.

How are you not getting it. If a matchup is 60-40, then the person with the 40 has to play better than the person with the 60 in order to win. There are two ways to look at this. Your way, the absurd way, claims that because the 40 beat the 60, the 60 wasn't playing at the highest level, and if he was, he would have won; ergo, 60-40 is unwinnable. My way, the common sense way, claims that at the highest level of play, both players have a chance of predicting and punishing the opponent depending on their characters options and whatnot, ergo, 60-40 is winnable with mingaming/lucky guessing.

My way also claims that DK/D3 is winnable, since DK has at least one move to get around grab for every situation, although it is astronomically unlikely that he will predict D3 perfectly and use the correct option to avoid the grab (and sometimes punish) every single time.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Actually, I was conjuring a hypothetical scenario outlining what a 100-0 matchup is like and how DK/D3 differs from that model.

Learn to read plx.

How are you not getting it. If a matchup is 60-40, then the person with the 40 has to play better than the person with the 60 in order to win. There are two ways to look at this. Your way, the absurd way, claims that because the 40 beat the 60, the 60 wasn't playing at the highest level, and if he was, he would have won; ergo, 60-40 is unwinnable. My way, the common sense way, claims that at the highest level of play, both players have a chance of predicting and punishing the opponent depending on their characters options and whatnot, ergo, 60-40 is winnable with mingaming/lucky guessing.

My way also claims that DK/D3 is winnable, since DK has at least one move to get around grab for every situation, although it is astronomically unlikely that he will predict D3 perfectly and use the correct option to avoid the grab (and sometimes punish) every single time.
The difference is number of errors.

It's realistic that M2K vs. Bum, Bum would make 2 or 3 less mistakes and that would win a match at a 60:40. DDD vs. DK, the number of mistakes more than Bum that M2K would have to make is no longer realistic.

Smash Master
So you're drawing an arbitrary line as to how many more mistakes one player can make than the other and still have both players fall under the umbrella of 'highest level of play.' So how many is it? Five? Seven?

Do you know what the suffix -est means?

Besides, me going for a grab and you spotdodging isn't really a mistake on my part. It's just you guessing correctly.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
100-0 is only when it is physically impossible to win. It would be if at the start of the match, there is absolutely nothing DK can do, at all, that as soon as the match starts, he has lost.
And that is the case, if the DDD player is playing at the highest level of play.

Yes, there's a 20% chance. But the chances of him losing is 80%. We can sit here and assume that Fox will read Pikachu's every move correctly and Pikachu will play really badly, but that's not the highest level of play, now is it?
80% still isn't an auto-win. The point is that even if the gap between their skill levels is sufficient for the Fox player to beat Pikachu, it's still possible that the could both be playing at the highest levels (rather than THE highest level, in which case a 51-49 matchup is an auto-win). Fox would be playing better than Pikachu, but Pikachu would still be playing well. That's what this number means. Essentially, it means that if Fox is 80% of the total skill gap that can be referred to as the "highest levels", he can win.

No, this is inane logic. We can assume that Pikachu will just read Fox all day and manage to beat him in an unbeatable match-up. But then we can just assume DK is going to read D3 correctly all day (it just requires more correct reading for DK to win over D3 than for Fox to win over Pikachu).
No, it actually requires the DDD player to suck.

Pikachu vs. Fox is a lol-up. It's that bad. You cannot win it at the highest level of play unless the opponent is playing considerably worse than you are.
If considerably worse can still be considered at one of the highest levels, then yes. But the matchup is still winnable at the highest levels. Unlike DK vs. DDD.

Lots of things "damage the metagame". We don't ban every little thing that damage the metagame no matter how insignificant. All this does is render one character (two if you include small-step chaingrabs) unviable.

Big whoop. MK, Snake and Falco together render plenty more than those unviable. Ban them all and receive many more in return.
This technique damages the metagame more than it's removal woud harm anything. The same can't be said for just removing a character.

No, that's random. The chances of it landing right next to me instead are, technically speaking, 50%. So both sides enjoy the same odds. It's not unfair, it's random. Items were not banned for unfairly favoring certain characters, they were banned for being broken (among other things).
Yes, having items on is perfectly fair until the match actually starts. You seem to think that something random happening in someone's favour isn't unfair. It is. And it's made even more unfair by the fact that you can't know who it will benefit more until the match is over. And it will benefit someone more. And that's not fair.

Unless by "unfair" you suddenly just mean anything that is "not fair to the individual player in a certain situation", like how it's totally unfair of me to pull out grandfather turnips, Bob-ombs, beamswords and Mr. Saturns at an alarmingly higher rate than any other Peach I've ever seen play.

Ban Peach's Down B?
That kind of thing happens rarely, and the player should be prepared for it. Items are gauranteed to give someone an advantage every single game.

No they're not.
lolwut? Games aren't meant to be fair?

You lost me with that one. Here's my example: Brawl and Melee ban items to make it fair, just like the Olympics bans performance-enhancing drugs to make it fair.

Why not? It's, apparently, unfair that certain characters in this game are viable. Why is it then not unfair if in this other game, which has no characters but instead techniques, certain techniques are unviable?

It's still one option (character/technique) rendering another option (character/technique) unviable.
A character in a game is substantially different from a technique, in that characters USE techniques. In a sense, the players of a sport are like characters, and we ban certain things that make those characters broken, like performance-enhancing drugs.

Because you are under the delusion that there are many Foxes running around trying to improve his match-up against Pikachu. Newsflash, there aren't.
Thank you for freeing me of that delusion. The point is, that they can, and there is potential, unlike DK vs. DDD.

I g2g. It was fun arguing with you.

salaboB

Smash Champion
So you're drawing an arbitrary line as to how many more mistakes one player can make than the other and still have both players fall under the umbrella of 'highest level of play.' So how many is it? Five? Seven?

Do you know what the suffix -est means?

Besides, me going for a grab and you spotdodging isn't really a mistake on my part. It's just you guessing correctly.
I don't think you're quite grasping exactly how difficult it is for DK to not get grabbed and not screw himself in his efforts to not get grabbed by DDD.

It's not some arbitrary 2, 3, 5, 7, etc. mistakes, it's a much higher number that's simply unrealistic to occur during a match between the best players.

And the mispredicting issue isn't even that helpful, because it's too risky for DK to try to force significant chances from DDD -- at some point the DDD will get the grab if DK is playing that way.

Edit: Why don't you try it yourself, with your main? Find someone that's good with DDD and play them a few times. Whenever they grab you, you must suicide. See how well you do, especially after they get a couple rounds to get used to the idea of not overgrabbing.

Smash Master
If the only thing D3 does is grab, then the DK will probably win; just roll behind D3, charge up the giant punch, and let fly.

I get it; it's like having your fingers go through your keyboard while typing due to the space in between atoms. That's still not impossible. Just really unlikely.

It's also unrealistic to expect a Fox to ever beat a Pika or a Falcon to beat a MK in a match between two characters. There is effectively no difference and theoretically little difference.

I'd put the match at 99.5 : 0.5
I think Bum can steal one out of 200 games from an equivalent D3.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And that is the case, if the DDD player is playing at the highest level of play.
No, it is not physically impossible. It's just highly improbably

80% still isn't an auto-win.
Yes, it is. It's an unwinnable match-up. No match-up is an auto-win in such a way that once the match starts, you will have lost, no matter what. But at the highest level of play 80-20 is as good as an auto-win. It's unwinnable, the chances of you winning are so slim they might as well not exist.

That is if we're assuming roughly equal skill level and highest level of play.

The point is that even if the gap between their skill levels is sufficient for the Fox player to beat Pikachu
But the chances are still so small that it's not feasible. And no Fox player is really trying to work out ways to reduce the unwinnability of that match-up as we speak, contrary to what you seem to believe. They just don't play Fox or pick up a secondary for the Pikachu match-up.

rather than THE highest level, in which case a 51-49 matchup is an auto-win.
Highest possible human level.

Fox would be playing better than Pikachu, but Pikachu would still be playing well.
If we're going to assume Pikachu's gonna screw up an inordinate amount of times while Fox won't (and not get grabbed, ever, since that's an automatic 80% or so of damage at maximum), we might as well assume D3 is gonna do everything wrong and DK everything right.

When it comes down to it, both matches are quite unwinnable. Both are auto-wins (or netiher is).

That's what this number means. Essentially, it means that if Fox is 80% of the total skill gap that can be referred to as the "highest levels", he can win.
That sentence didn't make much grammatical sense, but here's my guess at what's the proper reply:
So, if DK makes up for the 99% deficiency, he'll win, too!

No, it actually requires the DDD player to suck.
Likewise, it requires the Pikachu player to suck!

If considerably worse can still be considered at one of the highest levels, then yes. But the matchup is still winnable at the highest levels. Unlike DK vs. DDD.
No, you cannot be at one of the "highest levels" and lose against Fox as Pikachu in Brawl. The match-up is that bad!

This technique damages the metagame more than it's removal woud harm anything. The same can't be said for just removing a character.
Why? You're losing more characters than the characters you are keeping in the game. And why aren't we banning Pikachu's chaingrab? Because like it or not, it's one huge nail in Fox's coffin.

You seem to think that something random happening in someone's favour isn't unfair.
It is not unfair according to the rules of Competitive gaming. When we say "fair" in Competitive gaming, we mean that both sides stands an equal chance at the start of a game.

If you're gonna argue "unfairness" own to its core meaning, we could argue that every single stage that is even slightly random needs to be banned. Hey, that platform popped up and saved you on Yoshi's Island, but it never pops up to save me! Unfair!

And it's made even more unfair by the fact that you can't know who it will benefit more until the match is over. And it will benefit someone more. And that's not fair.
Statistically speaking, both sides stand a 50/50 chance. That is fair.

That kind of thing happens rarely, and the player should be prepared for it. Items are gauranteed to give someone an advantage every single game.
This is a lie.

lolwut? Games aren't meant to be fair?
Stop strawmanning yourself. This is what you said:
"Games are meant to be as fair as possible."

No, they are not. Not Competitive fight games or other games where the creators themselves do not step in and change the game for us. No Competitive community ever bans things to make them as fair as possible.

You lost me with that one. Here's my example: Brawl and Melee ban items to make it fair, just like the Olympics bans performance-enhancing drugs to make it fair.
No, we do not ban items to make it more "fair". Your definition of "fair" is not the correct one (in this context).

A character in a game is substantially different from a technique, in that characters USE techniques.
No, the techniques are a part of a character. We're in essence banning a part of that character, quasi-banning them. If they are "too good" to be allowed to stay alive in the metagame, then they have to go. We don't remove parts of them to rebalance the game.

In a sense, the players of a sport are like characters, and we ban certain things that make those characters broken, like performance-enhancing drugs.
No, the players are players. In sports, you are given options (characters), shoes, clothes, equipment, training regimens, supplements, vitamins, what have you. Certain options are better than others. Certain shoes are better than other shoes, certain types of clothes are better than other types of clothes, certain training regimens are better than other training regimens. Thus, certain options (characters) render other options (characters) unviable.

Why are performance-enhancing drugs banned? Because they break the game. It becomes use them or lose, no matter what else you try. They over-centralize the game around themselves. Not to mention how many of them have detrimental health effects.

Thank you for freeing me of that delusion. The point is, that they can, and there is potential, unlike DK vs. DDD.
No, they cannot. If we're going to assume D3 is never going to make enough mistakes to lose, we can assume the same goes for Pikachu. Because either that or your definition of "one of the highest level" is very loose and your lowest "highest level" is probably way below what I'd call even intermediate.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
K, I was gonna leave, but I just thought I should clarify one thing first. If a Fox can't beat a Pikachu 20% of the time when both are playing at the highest levels, then the matchup numbers don't actually apply to the highest level of play. Which they do. Therefore, if the Fox is at the highest level of play, the Pikachu will lose if he is in the bottom 20% of the highest level of play. If you can't accept this, that that means those numbers don't actually apply to the highest level of play.

Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom