• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
K, I think this argument is losing its focus a bit and is just onto the semantics of "centralization" and "overcentralization". This is more or less irrelevant. The fact is, that you can say "It's only against one character, so why ban it?", but really you should be asking: "If it's only against one character, why NOT ban it?" It's not a significant part of DDD's metagame, and if you don't ban it, you're literally removing that matchup from tournament play by forcing the DK player to CP, which, though perhaps to a limited extent, decreases the game's variety at a proffesional level.

To summarize, the infinite isn't fun or important, but it does break the matchup, so we should ban it, at the very least against DK.
Why shouldn't DK have to counterpick?! Why the hell should we give DK special treatment?! DK has a bad matchup and he has to deal with it just like every other character in the game!

You are expected to have a secondary, especially when playing a non top-tier character (hell, I bet even DDD players have secondaries) We should not bend the rules just because people think "it's unfair!" There are many things in this game that are unfair.

Is it fair that Wario get's infinited by like 5 or 6 characters? Is it fair that tether characters can be edgehogged even when they hit the other person? Is it fair that Fox can be QAC locked directly out of Pikachu's chainthrow? Is it fair that Charizard can infinite grab release Ness? Is it fair that Snake's uptilt has such a ridiculous disjointed hitbox?

You're definition of "fairness" does not matter in the slightest. I think it's perfectly fair! DK does not slide far enough after DDDs d-throw, therefore he gets infinite chaingrabbed. The same way that Fox does not recover fast enough from Pikachu's d-throw so he gets chaingrabbed. It's part of the game and does not even come close to breaking it.

"Why not ban it" is not a valid argument. Prove that it's game breaking (and therefore must be banned, as is the nature of game breaking tactics), or it remains unbanned.

Smash Master
K, I think this argument is losing its focus a bit and is just onto the semantics of "centralization" and "overcentralization". This is more or less irrelevant. The fact is, that you can say "It's only against one character, so why ban it?", but really you should be asking: "If it's only against one character, why NOT ban it?" It's not a significant part of DDD's metagame, and if you don't ban it, you're literally removing that matchup from tournament play by forcing the DK player to CP, which, though perhaps to a limited extent, decreases the game's variety at a proffesional level.

To summarize, the infinite isn't fun or important, but it does break the matchup, so we should ban it, at the very least against DK.
That's the same argument I used for Wobbling in Melee. If Chu can kill off one grab anyway why not ban it so people worse than Chu don't have to pick Ice Climbers? Basically, banning is a last ditch resort because it requires enforcement, which can be a hassle, and it tends to ****** the meta, as people avoid seeking counters because banning is easier. This tactic actually has a really simple counter anyway. If a game isn't broken, overcentralized, etc... it's a good idea to leave it alone.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
You can't ban and infinite against one character or for one character.
Why not? To be specific, I'm in favour of banning: A standing regrab of any character out of D-throw by King Dedede.
Why ban it is the question as its already there. Lots of matchups won't take place in tournament play that competitive gaming. You put your finger on it. It breaks the matchup and anyone who's played competitive games enough knows changing the game for one matchup between 36 characters (37 with ZSS) isn't a good idea.
Saying "everyone knows" such and such is not an effective argument. If we can fix a few broken matchups just by banning a technique that wasn't meant to be in the game in the first place, particularly when it's not at all vague what "the infinite" entails, unlike something like "stalling", for example, then why not?

brinboy789

Smash Champion

even if we were to ban it, DK vs D3 would still be horrible, D3 has small-step CG on him

cutter

Smash Champion
Funny how tournaments who ban the standing infinite also ban the small-step CG.

Now they're banning a chaingrab. I love how AN is so slap-happy when it comes to banning stuff.
lol

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Why not? To be specific, I'm in favour of banning: A standing regrab of any character out of D-throw by King Dedede.
And a standing regrab by Charizard on Ness? or Zamus on Wario? Or the Ice climber's infinites? Or (get this) Pikachu's chaingrab?!?! (it is a standing regrab after all)
If we can fix a few broken matchups just by banning a technique that wasn't meant to be in the game in the first place, particularly when it's not at all vague what "the infinite" entails, unlike something like "stalling", for example, then why not?
Whether or not it was meant to be in the game is irrelevant. DAC was likely not meant to be in the game. Jab locks were likely not meant to be in the game. Pretty much any chainthrow was not meant to be in the game. It really doesn't matter.

And you are the one with the burden of proof. You want it banned, then prove it ban-worthy. Anti-ban doesn't need to bring any arguments, all they need to do is disprove yours.

RDK

Smash Hero
We'd better finish sifting through that information for the new thread, because this is getting ridiculous.

It also needs to be stickied, because I'm getting tired of everyone and their mom coming in here with rehashed arguments that we've already addressed.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Listen to RDK, just look at how important he is. HE POSTS IN RED FONT!!!
Seriously though, I can't wait to see the new thread. xD

:093:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea what exactly is the status of the new formatitive one? I haven't heard anything really since I pm'ed Yuna (though I assume he's working on it). I'm not sure that the ProBans are even participating in this. Which will actually save people from reading/wasting alot of time because the discussion is about as one sided for the AntiBans as D3's matchup is against DK.

K, I think this argument is losing its focus a bit
LOL I just picked up on the irony. He posts this and we spend half of the next page telling him how wrong, dated, and irrelevant his arguments are.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This debate started with the infinite occuring to 6 characters.
5, and only 4 of which in a manner that actually affects the match-up.

Bowser never was infinited, and DDD infiniting himself just creates a weird ditto, it's still 50/50.

Regardless, why is the debate continuing to attract far more attention then the earthbounder's issue, it should've died off when it was obvious that DK was the only character that was really effected by the infinite.

The reason? Tier bias.

Are you suggesting that DK is popular? Theres like 5 of us!
Reletive to the Earthbounders, yes.

Also, Bum himself is quite popular.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
For christ's sakes... The people arguing against the ban need to pay attention to the other side for just one freaking moment.

DK is not the only flippin' character affected by the infinite chain grab.

If your ENTIRE defense is, "But Dedede SHOULD counter DK!" you've lost the debate. The pro-banners keep trying to mention the OTHER characters, but you're not paying any mork'ing attention. Dedede should counter DK? FINE. EXCLUDE DK FROM THE BAN.

Try arguing under the pretense that DK is not the only one affected by the infinite. Cheesus Fries.

-------
Side note: I know this is not the case with everyone, for either side. I'm generalizing. Some anti-banners probably have made good arguments, and some pro-banners have probably made some crappy ones. But it's like a piece of driftwood in a tsunami. No one can see it, they're too distracted by the sheer amount of "Gawd ****!" coming their way. If you are a anti-banner have made good arguments, (if you actually are, not if you think you are.) then I apologize for completely ignoring you in this post.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Titanium_Dragon, you continue to repeat that the ban is not enforceable for some reason. It is, and it's very simple: Dedede may not grab an opponent in hitstun of his down throw without dashing first.
Its too difficult to tell when hitstun wears off for that to be the rule.

So, fail.

And it isn't warranted anyway.

2, it's not about counterpicking. Bowser has other bad matchups and it is highly recommended to counterpick those too. Nobody is saying Bowser/DK shouldn't have to counterpick. What we're saying is a technique which makes a matchup impossible (in a competetive environment, nobody cares if you can win against your 4 year old brother) should be banned.
Yes, actually, it is about counterpicking. That is precisely what it is about.

Quit being a scrub, scrub.

And a 4 year old brother won't be able to grab you if you're competent with DK. They may be able to execute the infinite, but they won't be able to initiate it.

If your four year old brother is grabbing your DK every single time, then guess what? The problem is you suck. A lot.

I already told you that I didn't play Melee competitively. In fact, the only thing I ever did was play against my brother. I Don't know what you're talking about, or what your point is,
The point was its not bannable, and there is precedent for it.

That's HIS criteria for banning. Not ours. In the Metaknight discussion, the criteria for banning something is, "DOES IS HARM THE METAGAME?" PAy attention to what I freaking say, I'm tired of repeating myself.
You're a scrub, and he's not. So obviously your criteria will be different.

His opinion is worthwhile. Yours isn't.

Characters that can be infinitely chaingrabbed are only allowed to be grabbed three times if any the comboing grabs do not make Dedede move towards the edge of the stage. If this is the case, the third grab is required to be followed by any other move besides a grab, unless the opponent is sent out of range of a smash attack.
Non-discrete. You fail.

So being infinited is the exact same as a suicide? Read the sentence and you should realize that's what you just said.
You know, you complained about me not reading your post, and then when I specifically say no, you claim I said yes.

You know what? You're not only a scrub, you're also a troll, a liar, or functionally illiterate.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DK. I HAVE SAID THAT MANY TIMES> Donkey Kong is already a good character, the infinite chain grab CAN, in my opinion be used as a counter to DK because DK is good and has a well established metagame. The other lower-tier characters don;t.
Then you're talking about no one at all, because there aren't meaningful infinites on other characters. DeDeDe can infinite himself, but that's irrelevant. He cannot infinite bowswer, he can only infinite Mario, Samus, and Luigi when they're over 130% (by which point, a grab from many characters would kill them anyway), and the infinite against Wolf on the edge is non-unique - several characters have the same infinite.

I don't think SO MANY should be punished so badly for playing against a single character. It's not a mistake, it's a flaw.
There isn't any counterargument here. You failed to assert anything useful.

And your beliefs are irrelevant.

Stop saying that, this discussion is far from over.
No, the discussion was over on page 1.

You are plugging your ears and screaming, which is how this thread is up to page 356. You aren't discussing anything.

Its not going to be banned. Hopefully the same cannot be said of you.

But you shouldn't be COMPLETELY screwed, every character should have a chance.
You do have a chance.

So how come when we thought that Ness and Lucas couldn't escape from Marth's "infinite", we didn't ban that?

The answer? Tier bias.

Nobody cares about them because they're not high tier, but when there's an infinite affecting a high tier character like DK (and you lumped bowser in there just to make it seem less so even though it's a totally different technique, and also Mario Luigi and samus, even though it doesn't effect their match-up), then OMG, we have to ban!!!!

Seriously, this is just blatent tier bias, unwinnable match-ups happen.
No. It doesn't matter what tier the character is. Not one whit.

Guess what? If DeDeDe could infinite MK instead of DK, it still wouldn't and shouldn't be banned.

5 characters out of 37 are affected by the infinite.
We have around 780 matchups.
Thing is, though, Mario, Samus, and Luigi really don't matter.

Its DK and DeDeDe who can be infinited who actually matter, and Bowser with the CG to death.

That's it. So three characters, one of which is only affected when he plays against himself, and it doesn't give him an advantage against himself for obvious reasons.

Just to point out, the numbers don't tell the whole story. If DDD infinited not just DK and some lowish tiered characters but instead had an infinite on DK, MK, Snake, Falco, Olimar, and himself, your numbers would look the same but the impact on the metagame would be huge.
And it'd be good for the metagame, honestly.

In theory DK is unviable, because anytime he wins a match his opponent should counter DDD and win from there. DK should never be able to place well in a tournament. In practice however, not everyone counters DK with DDD. In fact in my experiece they rarely do. So in practice he is still viable. For that matter even if it was always used as a counter to DK, he would still be viable as a counter to certain chatracters and could still be mained so long as you had a confident secondary, which really you should anyway.
This is complete trash, as has been pointed out. There's no "in theory" here.

In theory, he's NOT unviable at all, and in practice, he's not unviable at all.

Why? Because YOUR OPPONENT DOES NOT GET TO COUNTERPICK 100% OF THE TIME.

Blind first picks and counterpick rounds in your favor both allow you to pick DK safely; in the later case you know in absolute terms whether its safe to pick DK.

There's no point in making a new thread, as there aren't any points to be made by people who want a ban. They have no points. All they have is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
For christ's sakes... The people arguing against the ban need to pay attention to the other side for just one freaking moment.

DK is not the only flippin' character affected by the infinite chain grab.
WRONG!

We are talking about this in terms of whether it effects the match-ups, and guess what? DK is the only character where the match-up is effected by an infinite chain grab.

Let me go down the list of characters that were talked about.

Bowser: Never effected. Period. DDD has a small-step chaingrab on him, THAT'S IT.

Luigi: Cannot be infinited until after 127%. Proven by Magus and Reflex, he can break-out during the required pummel. That's well within killing percent for other moves, so all the infinite does is function as YET ANOTHER KILL MOVE FOR DDD, bair is a far better option at that percent. (Grab breaks function the same regardless of character, even though the releases are different)

Mario: Same as Luigi

Samus: Same as Luigi

DDD: Infinited at any percent, but does it matter? The fact that he can easily infinite himself just means that dittos are very very weird.

DK: Can be infinited at any percent and cannot counter infinite. This actually effects his match-up.

Come on, if you're gonna discuss, keep up with the thread. This was refuted MANY times.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
@Titanium Dragon: I already told you to shut up about "scrubs." It's not a defense. This is a debate on whether or not it IS TRULY FAIR. Your entire post reeks with hypocrisy, and I'm just going to stop bothering to respond to anything you have to say at this point, unless you finally say something that can actually be used as a point.

WRONG!

We are talking about this in terms of whether it effects the match-ups, and guess what? DK is the only character where the match-up is effected by an infinite chain grab.

Let me go down the list of characters that were talked about.

Bowser: Never effected. Period. DDD has a small-step chaingrab on him, THAT'S IT.

Luigi: Cannot be infinited until after 127%. Proven by Magus and Reflex, he can break-out during the required pummel. That's well within killing percent for other moves, so all the infinite does is function as YET ANOTHER KILL MOVE FOR DDD, bair is a far better option at that percent. (Grab breaks function the same regardless of character, even though the releases are different)

Mario: Same as Luigi

Samus: Same as Luigi

DDD: Infinited at any percent, but does it matter? The fact that he can easily infinite himself just means that dittos are very very weird.

DK: Can be infinited at any percent and cannot counter infinite. This actually effects his match-up.

Come on, if you're gonna discuss, keep up with the thread. This was refuted MANY times.

While I didn't read the entire thread (350 pages by the time I posted in it), I read the posts since then, and every post had simply said that the infinite didn't matter on Mario/etc. I assumed this meant people were ignoring them. Quite possibly it IS what they meant.

See this guy's post? THIS IS HOW YOU DEBATE. FACTS. Arguments are not based off of what everyone else on your side thinks. Post you argument and facts supporting your argument. Also, as he mentioned keeping up with the thread, restate your facts frequently when using multiple posts. People can forget things easily in debates like this.

Now, as I stand from surprisingly neutral territory, I would like to ask: The chances DK has in a Dedede match up, and and the pros/cons each character has against the other.

EDIT: Also, details on how they break out of the infinite?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Just wanna point out "Does this harm the Metagame" is a bad criteria (quoted by whomever Titanium Dragon was quoting). Surely, it harms DK's metagame but only in this matchup. Whether ONE thing hurts the metagame (or helps it since you neglected to mention), is subjective and the ProBans have basically been arguing for this since the beginning. Furthermore, @Sonicdahedgie, banning or not banning this tech is not dependent on whether "it IS TRULY FAIR". The matchup shouldn't be fair, its a bad matchup. Fair doesn't mean anything in competitive gaming. If it hurts the game and makes that unfair than we'll think about changing it. So far, its really about one matchup.

Also, @Titanium: I think you misread the one quote that starts off talking about Marth's old infinite on Ness/Lucas. He was arguing against tier bias and basically said what you said. I think you might have msinterpreted that last quote too as he was saying, Theoritically, based on the assumptions of pessimistic DK supporters, you'll get countered and *****. He goes on to say that doesn't happen in reality or in practice and the whole "I'll never get to play DK in tournaments now!" argument didn't apply. He also is pretty much in agreement with you.

The matchup goes something like D3 camps DK and forces him to approach with Waddle Dees. Then, having great grab range, finds a way to grab DK and it (the match) is essentially all over from their.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
This is complete trash, as has been pointed out. There's no "in theory" here.

In theory, he's NOT unviable at all, and in practice, he's not unviable at all.

Why? Because YOUR OPPONENT DOES NOT GET TO COUNTERPICK 100% OF THE TIME.

Blind first picks and counterpick rounds in your favor both allow you to pick DK safely; in the later case you know in absolute terms whether its safe to pick DK.

There's no point in making a new thread, as there aren't any points to be made by people who want a ban. They have no points. All they have is wailing and gnashing of teeth.
There is very clearly a difference in the theory and the practice. If you have played much DK in tourney's its pretty clear. And as for the "they can't always counterpick", they don't have to always be able to. You win the first match, they counter DDD and win, then its your counterpick against their DDD, and if you stay DK you lose again. DK can of course still exist in the metagame with a strong secondary, but in theory DK cannot exist competitively as a solo character. Of course the same could be said for many other characters in the game.

My point was simply that DK is not as effected by this as it would at first seem, because the use of DDD as a DK counter is not completely widespread, for whatever reason. And as already stated, with a secondary to take care of DDD, DK still does just fine even with the infinite in play.

IrArby

Smash Ace
The list is actually much longer than this but these are some of the arguments (the first to pop into my head) that ProBans should NOT argue as they have already been debunked and patiently discussed/refuted. If you choose to argue one of these and bring nothing new to said argument (highly likely) your thoughts will probably not be treated with patience.

IrArby's "List of things that have been argued that do not fly":

1. Ease of Use
2. Breaks the Matchup (D3 vs. DK)
3. Affects 6 characters
4. Isn't Fair (and other ethical related arguments)
5. Is "Cheap"
6. Allows lesser plays to win *Goes hand in hand with Ease of Use*
7. Stops DK from being Viable
8. "People would ban the infinite if it worked on MK" or "Snake" or fill in high/top tier character
9. Causes a drop in tournament character variety
10. Encourages people to stop playing Brawl

Feel free to add some and I'll attach them to my list until such time as the new OP is made.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Why won't SamuraiPanda update the OP to say only DK and Dedede is truly infinited. We're going to continue getting replies thinking Mario/Luigi/Bowser/Samus are still infinited...

gantrain05

Smash Master
The list is actually much longer than this but these are some of the arguments (the first to pop into my head) that ProBans should NOT argue as they have already been debunked and patiently discussed/refuted. If you choose to argue one of these and bring nothing new to said argument (highly likely) your thoughts will probably not be treated with patience.

1. Ease of Use
3. Affects 6 characters
5. Is "Cheap"
8. "People would ban the infinite if it worked on MK" or "Snake" or fill in high/top tier character

Feel free to add some and I'll attach them to my list until such time as the new OP is made.
i don't understand, EVERY one of those statements is true except for stopping DK from being viable.....your really bad at this internet thing.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice

1. Ease of Use
3. Affects 6 characters
5. Is "Cheap"

Remember, give a quick fact for each of these arguments. For instance, people may read your post, but ignore it because you didn't back up your statements. Sorry for critiquing debate skills, but something should be done properly in the more hotly debated threads.
And remember, use facts.

4.Isn't fair
This is, in total what the entire debate is about. Saying something is not fair is over used by many people, but what separates fair from unfair? If you say that something is unfair because it's banned, then ANYTHING would be fair game. In this hypothetical, illogical thought process, here's an example of what would have happened.
Metaknight's infinite dimensional cape wasn't originally banned, so it was always fair. If it's fair, why would it be banned?

8 and 10 are comPLETELY ******** arguments, I agree. If Metaknight had a counter, I'm pretty sure that would make everyone happy.

9 is a valid argument, but I'm too tired explain why. But the other ones, I concede on. I may have missed one or two, though.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Alright lets break it down a little for gaytrain.

3, 7, 8, and 9 are not true arguments. We'll go through each.

3. This infinite only really affects 1 character (D3 doesn't count for starters) and 3 others (Mario, Luigi, and Samus) must be at 127% or higher in order for it to work. They are already at killing percent so who cares. Bowser, already lost this matchup and this is defined as a Small Step Chaingrab not an infinite since it ends at the edge.

7. It only stops DK from being viable in 1 matchup not unviable as a tournament character.

8. I made a rather long post on pg 360 (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208288&page=360illustrating *second post from the bottom*) regarding what would probably happen if the infinite worked on the top 5 chars instead of the current 5 aside form D3 himself. Either way, it doesn't prove anything relevant to this technique in question.

and 9. It does not cause a drop in tournament variety. In fact it may very well cause the opposite if we were to ban the infinite. Banning it allows DK main to keep playing DK without neccesarily using a secondary. Leaving it alone forces DK mains to have secondaries and anyone playing this game should have trained with at least 2 characters.

The rest are all invalid arguments or are far to insignificant to warrant a ban. 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are common arguments that scrubs who lose to the infinite are apt to whine about.

1. Ease of use doesn't matter. If its possible, a pro will do it. We can't ban good attacks because their easy to do.

2. The matchup is already broken, and DK has no right to have his matchups fixed when the bottom half of the cast has more than a few matches just as bad.

4. Whats "fair" is not what competitive gaming is meant to measure. You have every oppurtunity to not get infinited by playing another character. If you allow yourself to be counterpicked into a seriously unwinnable matchup its your fault. You can keep playing DK, just switch when someone goes D3 on you and stop being stubborn.

5. So what if its cheap? Its part of the bad matchup. The best players in the game are cheap, both the characters topping the tierlist and the players topping the tournaments. Edgehogging is cheap. Its easy and yields massive gain at little risk. Its part of competitive play and you should do it to others if they unwisely give you the oppurtunity.

6. The best characters in Brawl are to an extent the easiest to use. They on average, need ATs less than anyone because they have good priority, good recoverys, readily accesible moves, etc etc. A bad MK can beat a good Falcon. A Great DK loses to an ameteur D3. Massive amounts of skill won't make up for a truly bad matchup in this game. If you can't stand to lose to lesser players and are unwilling to use better characters its your loss and you fault.

And lastly theres number 10. If keeping this tech drives away some people than they were never really commited to getting good at this game in the first place or have probably decided that its not the best competitive game around they'd like to play another. They obviously don't want to play Brawl in a competitive fighter type fashion. If a few people like that leave you'll hear no complaints from me.

1. Ease of Use
3. Affects 6 characters
5. Is "Cheap"
11. The infinite takes the fun out of playing (competitive play is not neccesarily fun nor should something be fun in order to stay in the game. Fun is not the ultimate desired result of tournaments.)

gantrain05

Smash Master
your only pointing out the things that benefit your side of the argument, and then creating "facts" that really aren't true. lets see.

1. this tech STILL AFFECTS 6 CHARS, DDD himself, DK, bowser, mario, luigi, samus, DK can EASILY small step cg the 4 he can't standing infinite until they are at % needed to be standing, nobody seems to see this.

2. i already said that DK is still viable, i don't know why your arguing with me.

3. if you say that this working on the top 5 characters instead of the current ones wouldn't change anything you are just plain blind. nobody is complaining about this because the majority of people who play this game competetively ONLY use top/high tiers, just because the characters affected aren't high it really is getting ignored save for the few people who came in to defend themselves, (xyro, boss, etc)

4.we've already stated "ease of use" bs crap doesn't matter, but EASE OF STARTUP DOES MATTER, that and combined with the ease of use really do make this tech broken, ice climbers have infinite grabs, but you know why people don't complain about them? its because they have the ****tiest grab in the game, and in order to even pull off the infinite you actually have to learn it. this is entirely different, it only requires a simple shield grab from DDD, who has one of the longest and fastest grab animations of any non-tether character and only requires a simple Dthrow > grab.

5, the matchup is not already broken, DK has a good chance of winning w/out the infinite, i don't know how many times i can say this, but w/out the infinite this matchup is easily 60-40 or even 55-45 DDD, nowhere near broken.

6. in the DEFENITION of competetion it is stated that it must be played on fair grounds, so how does "not fair" even come into an argument about competition?

like we've said before, just because YOU think that YOU have argued these points and refuted them, DOES NOT mean that we agree with you, stop thinking that your opinion is absolute and that these arguments shouldn't be brought up because you really aren't a very good debater. oh and personal attacks on me really is very mature "gaytrain" grow up.

IrArby

Smash Ace
1. Really, the Infinite makes D3 unviable against himself? Come on, lets not be stupid. ANY DITTO MATCHUP is still a 50:50 matchup. Get over it. Its 5 characters alright.

3. If you read my post from the link I DID say that things would be very different. Nonetheless, the technique wouldn't break the game or over-centralize it on D3.

4. Funny you say ease of use doesn't matter but half of that paragraph is complaining about how easy it is. Leave EASE OF USE out of it completely because that doesn't matter. Still, you did technically say ease doesn't matter and your right. The infinite is much less situational or you might say its highly accessible if you were a bit more eloquent. Your right D3's grab is very accessible. Still, the infinite only works with NO stipulations on DK and no one else. We've discussed how no matter what 5 characters it affected it wouldn't break/overcentralize the game. Less than 1/7 of the characters are affected. DK loses this matchup. So sorry.

5. Please tell me how the matchup isn't already broken. The problem with that is, you need to first define how strictly we'll limit the infinite. Otherwise, D3 still forces DK to approach and really, why not grab him and Dthrow him since it works? Until the limitations on the infinite are defined (which probably won't happen as it probably won't get banned) you can't say how the matchup will change. DK still has to approach because of Waddle Dees, then suffer 5grabs and an Ftilt for every mistake he makes (assuming theres no jabs thrown in obviously). What has DK got going for him here? I'd like to know and no I'm not being sarcastic.

6. As far as definition goes, the game itself should be fair. Look at any popular sport with teams. Say soccer. Both teams have got the same number of men and the both sides are exactly the same. But wait, does each side train the same way? Does each side have equally skilled players? Are teams frequently trying to buy the best players? Are some players better than others? Aren't teams always training in some way to give them the edge? Does having good equipment and a wealthy club/country to support you help in getting to be the best team in the league/world/whatever. The point is, players SHOULD do everything they can (oh and they will) within their legal rights to put the matchup into their favor. Thats part of the competiton if you didn't know. Being better prepared or whatever than your opponent. If your stubborn, play DK, and always get counterpicked its your fault for not investing time in another character.
Look at M2K. In Melee and/or Brawl he uses the best players to give himself the best chance of winning before the match even starts. Some players will do better with DK than MK as they, for whatever reason, don't gel with MK but thats still playing to their personal advantage. "Give yourself the chance to win" and "take advantage whenever you can" are fundamental rules to competitive gaming or any compeitition. Don't be naive. Lifes not fair.

I can't say that your much of a debater yourself as I've just covered all you points except the second part of the first point. As to that one, I'll admit, I had not heard that though I'd like to see it somewhere else or at least from someone else in whose opinion I trust more. Nonetheless, as I said in response to #4, its a fraction of the cast. If they lose even more viability, thats the game. Were not here to make one matchup easier for less than 14% of the cast.

Furthermore, (and on a more personal less relevant note) The fact that the infinite is easy, strikes me as a really funny anonamly stemming from the general ease of Brawl in general. This is the quintessential easy, ***-**** move (like I said ease doesn't matter in terms of banning) and I laugh to think we've now got to sleep in the bed that we've made so to speak. Although this technique by no means breaks the game, its probably one of the most obvious examples of why its a bad competitive fighter. Skilled players have much less to work with if they're hoping to overcome bad matchups against much less skilled players with counter characters. Thats the nature of the game and this tech epitomizes that specific problem with the game.
If the game had more useful ATs and you had to use them to set up the infinite it probably wouldn't be so bad or at least you'd have more options to overcome D3 and avoid the infinite, but everyone choose this game so . . .
If your playing a game that isn't heavy on pure technical skill and your losing to less technically skilled players using a technique that takes almost no technicall skill to set up for, you can hardly blame anyone but yourself for choosing a technically unskilled game. Its a double standard that everyone has ignored and no ProBanner has refuted this or will. The game lacks depth and complexity so a bad matchup is one were a non-complex no-depth CG is gonna ****.

To clarify, unskilled doesn't mean SkillLess btw. I'm not arguing that people who win are without skill, in fact quite the contrary. You'll notice also that those who win play the best characters since its about the only sure fire way to give themselves a good chance at winning large tournaments. In near equal matchups between good players, skill plays a much bigger role.

As far as ""gaytrain" grow up." goes I seem to recall most of your posts I've seen being smart@sstic BS so I'm rather disinclined to treat you maturely.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
While I didn't read the entire thread (350 pages by the time I posted in it), I read the posts since then, and every post had simply said that the infinite didn't matter on Mario/etc. I assumed this meant people were ignoring them. Quite possibly it IS what they meant.
After all the time myself and Yuna spent hammering this fact into peoples' heads, I'm quite sure that this is what they meant.

The fact that it's escapable prior to kill percents renders it fundamentally useless.

1. this tech STILL AFFECTS 6 CHARS, DDD himself, DK, bowser, mario, luigi, samus, DK can EASILY small step cg the 4 he can't standing infinite until they are at % needed to be standing, nobody seems to see this.
From the begining we weren't talking about whether the technique actually affected a character, but whether it effected them in a way that it actually hurt their match-ups in a significant manner.

Firstly, Bowser NEVER WAS INFINITED. Ever. Small-step chaingrab is a different technique. If you want that banned I suggest doing a seperate topic with another arbitrary invented line about it. This topic is about the INFINITE CHAINGRAB, not the "very many grabs, but not actually an infinite" chaingrab.

Secondly, no they aren't. They all slide too far for that. The reason that DDD can regrab them under certain percents is because an immediate grab catches them midslide. You start walking, and you won't make up the distance they go with the slide, and when it stales, well you're stuck with the 5 dthrows no matter what. Luigi cannot be dashgrabbed by the way, for exactly this reason. I suspect that this has something to do with the reason why the dthrow stales.

Thirdly, who cares if DDD infinites himself, it's still a mirror match, it doesn't effect the match-up at all.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
@Titanium Dragon: I already told you to shut up about "scrubs." It's not a defense.
I refer you to counterpoint A:

This is a debate on whether or not it IS TRULY FAIR.
A NEW RECORD! One sentence later and you assert that you are a scrub.

The issue is that it isn't a defense. The problem is that you don't actually understand a thing you're talking about.

Its not invalid to say someone doesn't know what they're talking about when they don't. You don't have a worthwhile opinion precisely because you're a scrub, and precisely because you DON'T understand Sirlin. Indeed, you've repeatedly been offered the chance to read Sirlin's articles about this stuff, and while Sirlin is not god, he's one of if not the most important commentators on competitive fighter game play (and plausibly competitive gameplay in general). If you haven't read his writings, then you're so far behind the rest of us it is unlikely you'll even be able to understand what we're saying.

And you've proven that, in fact, you don't understand what we're talking about.

Being a scrub and commenting on competitive gameplay rules is like someone who doesn't know what an electron is commenting on chemistry, or someone who doesn't understand calculus talking about integration. Its the same sort of thing; you lack the expertise necessary to have valuable input.

You're saying stuff which is completely unrelated to the topic at hand and acting as though it matters, when everyone knows it doesn't.

Your entire post reeks with hypocrisy, and I'm just going to stop bothering to respond to anything you have to say at this point, unless you finally say something that can actually be used as a point.
As you proceed to post a paragraph which has absolutely no content whatsoever?

Ah, irony.

These points were brought up 340 pages ago. Had you actually read the thread, you'd know this. Why do you think we're so exasperated by your posts?

People ARE ignoring them because -they don't matter-, and EVERYONE who has even a remotely valuable opinion knew that already.

The matchup goes something like D3 camps DK and forces him to approach with Waddle Dees. Then, having great grab range, finds a way to grab DK and it (the match) is essentially all over from their.
Yeah, I know. Its not like DK is likely to win or anthing; the contorted gameplay he has to adopt isn't likely to win him the match anyway (though probably liklier than if you don't try extremely hard to avoid the grab) - a similar situation exists with other characters at various times as well (vs Fox, for instance, you have to start not doing certain things once you hit the point at which Fox can upsmash you to death, which gives Fox an advantage, even if he's less likely to kill you outright). And its not like it always works anyway - sometimes DeDeDe grabs you, sometimes Fox upsmashes you at 100% and you're dead. That's just the way things go; you aren't perfect. But you do have a chance of avoiding it, however slim, even if the matchup is ridiculously unfavorable.

But the reality is that it doesn't really matter if the matchup is 5-95 or 0-100 among highly skilled players, because even 5-95 is an "unwinnable" matchup. But its okay for characters to have such matchups, from the competitive player standpoint. The issue is when there are too many such matchups in a game, the game starts to break down.

However, there aren't that many. As has been pointed out, this makes up an absolutely tiny percentage of matchups in the game.

There is very clearly a difference in the theory and the practice. If you have played much DK in tourney's its pretty clear. And as for the "they can't always counterpick", they don't have to always be able to. You win the first match, they counter DDD and win, then its your counterpick against their DDD, and if you stay DK you lose again. DK can of course still exist in the metagame with a strong secondary, but in theory DK cannot exist competitively as a solo character. Of course the same could be said for many other characters in the game.
The correct thing to do, in a meta wherein people play DeDeDe well enough to counter DK, but not well enough to really play him, is thus:

Match 1: Use a random method to choose between DK, your anti-DeDeDe character, and some third, other character with different strengths and weaknesses from those two. This prevents people from using scouting to pick DeDeDe against you blind and win, as oftentimes they'll actually lose by picking DeDeDe, not being that good with him (but good enough to trash DK), then losing to your anti-DeDeDe or your other character.

Match 2: If you won, then you don't pick DK; you pick your third character. They pick someone. You fight.
If you lost, then you get to CP. If they pick DeDeDe, play your anti-DeDeDe. If they don't pick DeDeDe, play DK. And if they pick DeDeDe but aren't comfortable with them, you crush them.

Match 3: As per match 2.

So thus, even in theory, there is nothing unviable about DK, unlike what people claimed. Indeed, the above could be a highly effective strategy and make it very difficult for people to deal with you properly.

Also, if you yomi well, the blind pick goes even better for you.

Remember, give a quick fact for each of these arguments. For instance, people may read your post, but ignore it because you didn't back up your statements. Sorry for critiquing debate skills, but something should be done properly in the more hotly debated threads.
Sorry to critique your thinking skills, they've already been covered.

If you want to have a real argument, you're going to have to listen to what other people have to say, something which is clearly beyond you.

11. The infinite takes the fun out of playing (competitive play is not neccesarily fun nor should something be fun in order to stay in the game. Fun is not the ultimate desired result of tournaments.)
This is actually untrue. Fun IS the purpose of tournaments, but its not really the same sort of fun that scrubs have. It is, in many ways, a better, deeper sort of fun which is very fulfilling, but it doesn't feel the same.

gantrain05

Smash Master
1. Really, the Infinite makes D3 unviable against himself? Come on, lets not be stupid. ANY DITTO MATCHUP is still a 50:50 matchup. Get over it. Its 5 characters alright.
your sorely mistaken if you think i said DDD becomes unviable against himself, and its still 6, just because he can do it to himself doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
3. If you read my post from the link I DID say that things would be very different. Nonetheless, the technique wouldn't break the game or over-centralize it on D3.
yes it would
4. Funny you say ease of use doesn't matter but half of that paragraph is complaining about how easy it is. Leave EASE OF USE out of it completely because that doesn't matter. Still, you did technically say ease doesn't matter and your right. The infinite is much less situational or you might say its highly accessible if you were a bit more eloquent. Your right D3's grab is very accessible. Still, the infinite only works with NO stipulations on DK and no one else. We've discussed how no matter what 5 characters it affected it wouldn't break/overcentralize the game. Less than 1/7 of the characters are affected. DK loses this matchup. So sorry.
oh so u pull out numbers and say because less than 1/7 characters are affected that your automatically right and that its not bannable, yeah i forgot YOU make all the rules. and it doesn't just apply to DK, we've already been through this, stop bringing it back to this.
5. Please tell me how the matchup isn't already broken. The problem with that is, you need to first define how strictly we'll limit the infinite. Otherwise, D3 still forces DK to approach and really, why not grab him and Dthrow him since it works? Until the limitations on the infinite are defined (which probably won't happen as it probably won't get banned) you can't say how the matchup will change. DK still has to approach because of Waddle Dees, then suffer 5grabs and an Ftilt for every mistake he makes (assuming theres no jabs thrown in obviously). What has DK got going for him here? I'd like to know and no I'm not being sarcastic.
ok, to limite the infinite its really simple, DDD HAS TO DASHGRAB, its not hard, if he regrabs while standing in place then he breaks the rule of "no infinite" and who cares if DDD forces DK to approach? waddle dees are ****, anyone can powershield a waddle dee and Ftilt, DK will not be grabbed by that, its impossible with even decent spacing. DK isn't going to be jumping into DDD with a Bair every single time DDD throws out a waddle dee. DK has plenty of tools for dealing with DDD, if he didn't have tools to deal with projectile spam he'd never beat any competetent pit or falco or peach, or wolf, or even ****ing link, just because DK is forced to approach doesn't mean its automatically = unwinnable matchup anyway.
6. As far as definition goes, the game itself should be fair. Look at any popular sport with teams. Say soccer. Both teams have got the same number of men and the both sides are exactly the same. But wait, does each side train the same way? Does each side have equally skilled players? Are teams frequently trying to buy the best players? Are some players better than others? Aren't teams always training in some way to give them the edge? Does having good equipment and a wealthy club/country to support you help in getting to be the best team in the league/world/whatever. The point is, players SHOULD do everything they can (oh and they will) within their legal rights to put the matchup into their favor. Thats part of the competiton if you didn't know. Being better prepared or whatever than your opponent. If your stubborn, play DK, and always get counterpicked its your fault for not investing time in another character.
Look at M2K. In Melee and/or Brawl he uses the best players to give himself the best chance of winning before the match even starts. Some players will do better with DK than MK as they, for whatever reason, don't gel with MK but thats still playing to their personal advantage. "Give yourself the chance to win" and "take advantage whenever you can" are fundamental rules to competitive gaming or any compeitition. Don't be naive. Lifes not fair.
except in those situations your basically comparing M2K with M2K, they are different people but they are all the same, they don't have "tools" to give them an auto advantage when they go into a game, its human vs human, or M2K vs M2K or Meta knight vs Meta knight, its never one sided no matter how they train or what equipment they wear, thats like saying someone who trains in brawl by learning AT's and new combos comes across a player who got his skill by simply playing many other people, its nowhere near the same argument.
I can't say that your much of a debater yourself as I've just covered all you points except the second part of the first point. As to that one, I'll admit, I had not heard that though I'd like to see it somewhere else or at least from someone else in whose opinion I trust more. Nonetheless, as I said in response to #4, its a fraction of the cast. If they lose even more viability, thats the game. Were not here to make one matchup easier for less than 14% of the cast.
im not debating this to make the matchup easier, even tho it may seem like it, because it WOULD make the matchup easier, im debating it because simply its going against the competetiveness of the game, it in no way creates competition, it only destroys it, its skill-less.
Furthermore, (and on a more personal less relevant note) The fact that the infinite is easy, strikes me as a really funny anonamly stemming from the general ease of Brawl in general. This is the quintessential easy, ***-**** move (like I said ease doesn't matter in terms of banning) and I laugh to think we've now got to sleep in the bed that we've made so to speak. Although this technique by no means breaks the game, its probably one of the most obvious examples of why its a bad competitive fighter. Skilled players have much less to work with if they're hoping to overcome bad matchups against much less skilled players with counter characters. Thats the nature of the game and this tech epitomizes that specific problem with the game.
If the game had more useful ATs and you had to use them to set up the infinite it probably wouldn't be so bad or at least you'd have more options to overcome D3 and avoid the infinite, but everyone choose this game so . . .
If your playing a game that isn't heavy on pure technical skill and your losing to less technically skilled players using a technique that takes almost no technicall skill to set up for, you can hardly blame anyone but yourself for choosing a technically unskilled game. Its a double standard that everyone has ignored and no ProBanner has refuted this or will. The game lacks depth and complexity so a bad matchup is one were a non-complex no-depth CG is gonna ****.

To clarify, unskilled doesn't mean SkillLess btw. I'm not arguing that people who win are without skill, in fact quite the contrary. You'll notice also that those who win play the best characters since its about the only sure fire way to give themselves a good chance at winning large tournaments. In near equal matchups between good players, skill plays a much bigger role.

As far as ""gaytrain" grow up." goes I seem to recall most of your posts I've seen being smart@sstic BS so I'm rather disinclined to treat you maturely.
response in bold, and i never have personally attacked anyone, so i say again..."grow up"

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
your sorely mistaken if you think i said DDD becomes unviable against himself, and its still 6, just because he can do it to himself doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It doesn't matter if he can do it to himself as far as balance goes.

yes it would
How would it overcentralize the game on him?

Answer: it wouldn't. Why? Because it would actually make people want to play those characters a lot less, because they have such a bad CP which is so strong. However, DeDeDe himself has numerous weaknesses, so it'd create an interesting dynamic and a lot of mindgames as to which character to pick in what situation.

Your claims to the contrary are the flailings of someone who doesn't understand and doesn't want to.

oh so u pull out numbers and say because less than 1/7 characters are affected that your automatically right and that its not bannable, yeah i forgot YOU make all the rules. and it doesn't just apply to DK, we've already been through this, stop bringing it back to this.
It does only apply to DK, actually, because three of the characters he has an infinite on are only infinitable at such a high percentage that a lot of grabs kill the manyway. That leaves only DeDeDe, Wolf, and DK. Wolf is only very situationally infinited, and it requires considerable positional advantage to pull off; additionally it is non-unique. That leaves DeDeDe and DK. DeDeDe doesn't matter because its a mirror and thus doesn't advantage either or ruin the matchup. Thus you're left with DK.

No matter how much you whine, you won't change this reality. DK is the only character the infinite is a big deal on, because he's the only one who can be non-situationally 0-deathed with it.

response in bold, and i never have personally attacked anyone, so i say again..."grow up"
A 12-year old incapable of using capital letters and typing out the word "you" is really not going to be taken very seriously when they tell someone else to "grow up".

If you cannot express yourself, it is very difficult to take you seriously.

bobson

Smash Lord
Wrong. Dedede cannot smallstep CG Luigi, Samus or Mario.
Here, I'll summarize the effects:

Mario: Staling standing infinite and standard running chaingrab. The infinite requires a pummel after five dthrows to keep going, and it's possible and reasonable to be able to mash out until high percentages. Worst case scenario would be five standing dthrows into the running chaingrab across the stage into an edgeguard.

Samus: Same as above.

Luigi: Staling standing infinite only. The infinite still requires a pummel after five dthrows and is still escapable until high percents, but Dedede cannot chaingrab Luigi otherwise.

Bowser: Smallstep chaingrab and standard running chaingrab. The smallstep chaingrab requires a short step in between regrabs and can easily get over 100% before Dedede runs out of room depending on where Bowser was grabbed. Won't be a 0-death if Bowser plays smart, but still possible.

Donkey Kong: True standing infinite, smallstep chaingrab, and standard running chaingrab. The infinite on DK doesn't require a pummel and can continue forever almost anywhere DK is grabbed. The smallstep chaingrab functions mostly like the one on Bowser. Incredibly lopsided matchup.

King Dedede: Ledge infinite and standard running chaingrab. The ledge infinite only works if Dedede is grabbed over the edge. It's possible and reasonable to chaingrab Dedede across the stage into a ledge infinite... but then, this can only happen in dittos where both parties can do it, so that doesn't really matter. Pretty funny when it happens, though.

Wolf: Ledge infinite and standard running chaingrab. The ledge infinite here isn't like the one that works on Dedede; Wolf must be thrown at a specific spot between the stage and the ledge to be infinited. It's possible to chaingrab Wolf into this spot and infinite him from there, but doing so would require precise spacing and setup with the chaingrab.

I'm going to try and figure out the exact percentage where the staling infinites are guaranteed to work so we can all start saying an exact percentage instead of "high enough percents where they would be killed anyway."

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Every single pro-banner better start arguing that the following technique should be banned or fess up to being biased fanboys:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6290213#post6290213

Yes, you read that right, Peach has an infinite on Wario, which is doable from a grab and on any part of any stage (unless she grabs him right next to the ledge) and which goes from 0-death (and unlike D3, she can combo into a KO move).

It's a single tactic/combo/thing that breaks the entire match-up. Wario is now unviable. Yay.

bobson

Smash Lord
I'm going to try and figure out the exact percentage where the staling infinites are guaranteed to work so we can all start saying an exact percentage instead of "high enough percents where they would be killed anyway."
Alright, here we go. King Dedede's grab attack lasts for 29 frames before it's interruptible by a throw or another grab attack.
Now, as per this thread, you can subtract 80 frames off of your grab release time by pressing every single button, rotating the control stick, and flicking the c-stick. I'm assuming that you must then release them for a frame before they'll be counted again, so that's -80 frames every two frames you're held.

This means that in the 29 frames of Dedede's pummel, you can subtract 1200 frames (that's 20 seconds) from your grab release time with robotic mashing skills.

The formula for how many frames you're held in a grab is p * 1.7 + 90 where p is the percentage you're at. (At 999%, you're held in a grab for 1788 frames.)

p * 1.7 + 90 = 1200
1.7p = 1110
p = 1110/1.7 = 652.94117647058823529411764705882
p = 653

As per these calculations, it is physically (physically, not humanly) possible to break out of the infinite until 653%. The absolute human threshold is much lower than that; probably somewhere around 200%.
Either way, this shouldn't be killing you before anything else could.

Disclaimer: I've been up all night and math and I have a tenuous relationship. This looks right to me, but don't base anything largely important on this post without checking it for yourself. Also, a few of the frames of Dedede's grab attack are hitlag, and I'm not sure if mashing is counted during hitlag frames.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Every single pro-banner better start arguing that the following technique should be banned or fess up to being biased fanboys:

Yes, you read that right, Peach has an infinite on Wario, which is doable from a grab and on any part of any stage (unless she grabs him right next to the ledge) and which goes from 0-death (and unlike D3, she can combo into a KO move).

It's a single tactic/combo/thing that breaks the entire match-up. Wario is now unviable. Yay.
Yay indeed. lol

Can't D3 just kill with an Uthrow or Bthrow? So..... who CARES if he can't combo into a KO move. He can just throw when he feels like it.

Lol. Sucks to be Wario. XD

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yay indeed. lol

Can't D3 just kill with an Uthrow or Bthrow? So..... who CARES if he can't combo into a KO move. He can just throw when he feels like it.

Lol. Sucks to be Wario. XD
Peach can combo into Upsmash on Wario at around 100% for a guaranteed KO, even with DI. Since the threshold at which one must stop is 300%, Wario will always die from this.

D3's throws sometimes do not kill depending on where you are on the stage and what stage it is (and what DI) is used, even at 300%. But that's less important. The important thing is that obviously, the Peach infinite should be banned.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yes, actually, it is about counterpicking. That is precisely what it is about.

Quit being a scrub, scrub.

And a 4 year old brother won't be able to grab you if you're competent with DK. They may be able to execute the infinite, but they won't be able to initiate it.

If your four year old brother is grabbing your DK every single time, then guess what? The problem is you suck. A lot.
Why do you fail so hard at reading?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Holy ****, that's like the greatest thing ever!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

But seriously, Wario players have the worst luck ever. For all we know Captain Falcon could probably find an infinite against him.

Also, a few of the frames of Dedede's grab attack are hitlag, and I'm not sure if mashing is counted during hitlag frames.[/i]
Reflex and Magus say that mashing is counted during hitlag.:)

You're my hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom