• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
Nifty idea's and stuff :D *Wanted Advancements* as in things that could be nice to advance.

SH Charged Shot or Uncharged Shot... you can DJump after it... Missile time?

What happened to Fair cancelling? its not as usable any more or something?

The Second hit of samus's jab is pretty good... any uses really?

Samus's Nair can set up for Charged Shot... i mean like The Nair before hitting the ground...
Things that can lead to Nair....
SH Uair
SH Nair
SH Bair
SH Charged/Uncharged Shot
Full Hop MBB

the Homing Missiles can be fired 3 times out of a short hop... just saying cuz i read somewhere it said Full hop...

Full Hop any aerial -> FF Uair is surprisingly nice....

Samus's Dsmash *back end*. is it worth trying to hit it? i wanna see if it can stage spike...

Samus Uptilt is only good for a few things? Edge gaurding? what else?

Just Questions and stuff :( sorry

Zx

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
"It's not about what I want, it's about what's FAIR! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong...the world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world...is chance. Unbiased...unprejudiced...FAIR."

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Nifty idea's and stuff :D *Wanted Advancements* as in things that could be nice to advance.

SH Charged Shot or Uncharged Shot... you can DJump after it... Missile time?

What happened to Fair cancelling? its not as usable any more or something?

The Second hit of samus's jab is pretty good... any uses really?

Samus's Nair can set up for Charged Shot... i mean like The Nair before hitting the ground...
Things that can lead to Nair....
SH Uair
SH Nair
SH Bair
SH Charged/Uncharged Shot
Full Hop MBB

the Homing Missiles can be fired 3 times out of a short hop... just saying cuz i read somewhere it said Full hop...

Full Hop any aerial -> FF Uair is surprisingly nice....

Samus's Dsmash *back end*. is it worth trying to hit it? i wanna see if it can stage spike...

Samus Uptilt is only good for a few things? Edge gaurding? what else?

Just Questions and stuff :( sorry

Zx
Samus back side of D smash can stage spike yes.

Utilt is a great KO'er it's good for setting up traps, it knocks falco and fox out of phantasm while they are in the air

samus jab is decent at best, her second hit is baad lol, takes too long

"It's not about what I want, it's about what's FAIR! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong...the world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world...is chance. Unbiased...unprejudiced...FAIR."
trolling your OWN community :p that's just sad :p

_Pope_

Smash Cadet
Hey all, I have not been around much since school punched me in the face, but I do have a question that I have recently become curious about. I know that link, because of his weight, can sometimes DI horizontal moves to put himself in such a position that he can grapple onto the edge while flying by it. I have seen this in link videos, and I know that samus can do it as well, but does anyone know off the top of their head what kill moves from any character, when DIed as far down towards the stage as possible, could allow samus to perform this?

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Hey all, I have not been around much since school punched me in the face, but I do have a question that I have recently become curious about. I know that link, because of his weight, can sometimes DI horizontal moves to put himself in such a position that he can grapple onto the edge while flying by it. I have seen this in link videos, and I know that samus can do it as well, but does anyone know off the top of their head what kill moves from any character, when DIed as far down towards the stage as possible, could allow samus to perform this?
Fox's D-Smash. Zelda's D-smash. Or go to Norfair. Nearly everyone's f-smash.

I have a quick question, may sound kind of ******** but oh well <.<...

Can Samus' jab trip opponents? I was randomly fooling around with a CPU Ganon, and he tripped as soon as I jabbed, im just wondering if it was a natural trip or if it was her jab.

It was most likely her jab. Heck, I think Rohins started a new thread about this like a little over a week.
I thought Rohins thread was on her "strong" jab o.o. Ah well, it would be awesome if it was her jab.

Edit: Re-read that thread, the jab on Ganon was at 40% not 80-100% , so im really not sure now.

Metatitan

Smash Master
If it does trip the % is probably either precise or it has a low chance of tripping. If it forced tripping a lot, it would have been known by now

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
The Ganon you faced was in 80+%? There is no way a jab tripped him in that case I am almost certain. Trips seem to occur when your character doesnt go anywhere from an attack.

Im sure hes just assuming youll midair jump to continue the missle spam to get out 3 homings. You will have to full hop to get 3 supers on the other hand, because they take slightly longer to fire than homing.

The Ganon you faced was in 80+%? There is no way a jab tripped him in that case I am almost certain. Trips seem to occur when your character doesnt go anywhere from an attack.

Im sure hes just assuming youll midair jump to continue the missle spam to get out 3 homings. You will have to full hop to get 3 supers on the other hand, because they take slightly longer to fire than homing.
Nooooo you misunderstood lol.

Rohins said that the opponent tripped at 80-100% in his thread, the ganon I faced was at 40%.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
40% is more believable to me. However, it is as Rohins says, strong jab can trip. If Ganon was out of that reach, he must have tripped on his own. I need to look at that thread again. Jab trips until 80%? I wonder was it deteriorated?

40% is more believable to me. However, it is as Rohins says, strong jab can trip. If Ganon was out of that reach, he must have tripped on his own. I need to look at that thread again. Jab trips until 80%? I wonder was it deteriorated?
From what I recall I had done 2 jabs before hand, so yeah, it was probably a strong jab, at low percentage to get a trip.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I picked up samus as a low tier tourney counter-pick since Ike dittos are extremely stupid, and I am surviving well, racking damage well and camping well when I need to, but I have ran in to one problem.

Killing.

F-Smash is rediculously low ranged, and the other moves with Good DI are fairly hard to kill with.

Especially against short characters, there is little room to b-air aswell.

I am just wondering if there are any psuedo-setups for kills or ways to go about finding the spot for the kill. (Apart from reading, punishing, etc ofcourse.)

Thanks!

Samus has very few killing moves as you noticed, try going for Dtilt or UP tilted fsmash, these are very nice, but I highly doubt your fsmash will be fresh, so go for some Dtilt kills on low ceiling levels such as Greens or the top platform on norfair (from experience, this works VERY well), charge shot is also a KO move, it can punish characters with bad rolls/spotdodges and works well offstage. Seriously try and avoid using bair, its a good "suprise" move at best, its not made to be a main killing move.

The best setup for me is Zair/Missle/Dair offstage. On characters like ROB or Zelda it works serious wonders.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I only use b-air against tall opponents and if I run off-stage I can come back with a rising B-air.

I have been playing against Ness today so, I have to be REALLLY careful about my charged lazo beam....further limiting my options.

Ness, spacing well and his stuff fair limits my usage of d-tilt at high %. It was truly a pain. The only kills I got on him before 120% were from walk off d-airs on during his recovery.

usage of d-tilt at high %. It was truly a pain. The only kills I got on him before 120% were from walk off d-airs on during his recovery.
Remember that missles and zair will also screw over his recovery, Spamus has the name for a reason.

Yeah dtilt isnt the best killer, but its pretty good for her, try to bait the ness with missles, he cant do much with those, and zair just owns him ever so nicely.

Just try not to use bair so much, there are so many better moves.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I can't spam Ness for too long, he just runs under my missiles eventually and gets too close for my Z-air. That is when he fair is deadly and when I start going for u-air strings :)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah the Upwards Fsmash is real nice. I was playing some friendlies today and realized how easily Samus can get an opponent's % up super fast if you're smart, so that's something worth looking into. Once they're at 160%, killing is easy :P.

I can't spam Ness for too long, he just runs under my missiles eventually and gets too close for my Z-air. That is when he fair is deadly and when I start going for u-air strings :)
Heh, just remember your far better off stage then Ness is, take advantage of this if you need some space.

Yeah the Upwards Fsmash is real nice. I was playing some friendlies today and realized how easily Samus can get an opponent's % up super fast if you're smart, so that's something worth looking into. Once they're at 160%, killing is easy :p.
He's right, but remember it has a bit of lag on it, so dont overuse it, freshness is always necessary when KOing with Samus especially.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Correct @ freshness. The only times I use Fsmash besides killing is after a grounded Dair because it's a good follow-up if I land behind them at they're at low enough % that I just stun them. That or the back hit of Dsmash.

O
h, and believe it or not lower tilted Ftilt can kill at high %. If they're hanging at the edge, I promise you that there's a 75% chance of hitting them if you just keep using lower tilted Ftilts; it's hitbox is sneaky.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have trouble getting back safely on stage sometimes, but I have mixed up my options a bit, so that isn't really a problem.

I just hate battlefield sometimes, because of Ness's shortness and the platforms blacking my aerials missles, it is hard to camp effectively. Zair can only do so much.

What do you think a reasonable ban is for Samus against an Ike player. Keep in mind, pirate ship is banned on the east coast.

I fell in love with samus's ftilt a few days ago.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I probably sound really bad giving advice for Ike, considering I just lost to oen in the Low Tier tourney (I have my johns ;~;). But you should probably ban Battlefield. Ike has the advantage there. If you're looking for a Neutral, go FD. And I CP'd Japes (bad idea, I don't have enough experience there) which is good if you know how to use the stage (XYRO!!). I should have gone to Rainbow Cruise, though, which is also good for Samus in that matchup. Ike can hardly move there.

What do you think a reasonable ban is for Samus against an Ike player. Keep in mind, pirate ship is banned on the east coast.
Hmm, im not sure against Ike. However, against Ness you should ban Delfino and cp Frigate, if you want more info on that, check out this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222783

Yeah Smash God has the right idea about RC, it would have been a BEAUTIFUL stage to cp. WHY DID YOU NOT PICK IT MAN? ;.;

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd suggest keeping up with U/F-tilts against Ness, and not relying as much on long ranged attacks. Definitely agree that Frigate is a great CP and Delfino should be banned.

Also

I'd like to know this as well. I've been having trouble with Ikes since I restarted with Samus. I know that FD is a good neutral, but most will ban it against us. Also, is there any other stage besides Cruise that makes a good CP? I fail on RC, moreso than my opponent usually does. I'm inclined to stay away from my regular ones(Frigate, Brinstar, Halberd, BF) because of the low ceilings/platform advantage he gets. I'm wondering if Lylat would be decent.

Well for Ike i'd imagine that banning PS2 would be an okish idea, I mean, the constant stage changes on PS2 allow Ike to get more time in the air which shows his range to its fullest extent (his fair is scary, DO NOT underestimate it), a better hyphen smash and whilst the air stage is active, gimping Ike becomes just too hard.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well against ike, zairing his aether is very good, especially if you shoot a missile before hand incase he recovers exceptionally low.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well against ike, zairing his aether is very good, especially if you shoot a missile before hand incase he recovers exceptionally low.
Just remember that nothing can harm Ike until he grabs his sword when he is using Aether.

Icyo

Smash Ace
Well for Ike i'd imagine that banning PS2 would be an okish idea, I mean, the constant stage changes on PS2 allow Ike to get more time in the air which shows his range to its fullest extent (his fair is scary, DO NOT underestimate it), a better hyphen smash and whilst the air stage is active, gimping Ike becomes just too hard.
Only on the wind portion.

Top Bottom