• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*Is about to clink on Tristan's vids*

*catches the word "fsmash"

*leaves the thread without viewing*

bwahahaha just messing Tristan i'm gonna check them right now.

Judo777

Smash Master
Green and black are my colors. Everyone else should just hop off. xP

lol rathy we should recorded them Sheik dittos. They were funny as all hell. lol @ me tryna fair stage spike you during your vanish. lmao Idunno how to fights sheiks :p
I stopped using black along time ago because EVERYONE uses black. Yea it looks cool but i mean everyone uses black. I was using original for a while.

I started using the blue one. Its a known fact that blue sheik's red scarf gives me +15 agility and a +10% chance to critical hit!

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Since you actually gave me a few tips unlike some other sheik mains
*coughankokucough*
I figure I might as well point out a few of my own suggestions.

i also like nair-> jab, but its easy to see coming and react to unless you begin the nair on them. Make sure to needle from a safe distance. Use more jab at mid-high percents. There's really very little profit in using dsmash at that percent. It won't kill, its not as safe, and it doesn't do as much damage. I think you should focus more on spacing your aerials (mainly bair) properly. Also, if someone is used to sheik'sr dacus, the way you used it would be very easily punished.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you're seriously upset about me not giving tips, it's because the only tip I can give you based on those videos is to learn Sheik's moveset so that it doesn't look like you're just pointing your control stick in the direction of the other guy and pressing buttons.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
If you had said nothing I wouldn't have minded. There was really no reason to what you did post. And I don't understand your comment, because I mainly use bair and nair. If anything I under use fair and ftilt.... and chain, I guess. edit: Actually looking at my first vid, there are clear flaws in my gameplay and none those flaws relate to not knowing sheiks moveset as I use all her moves but ~3.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My posts mirror the tone of whoever I speak to. That you stand out to me as one who enjoys antagonizing random people just to do so makes reading "there was really no reason to what you did post" all the more amusing. My comment is referring to the absolute directness of how you play. Almost regardless of where you are and where your opponent is, it really isn't hard to guess what your plan is, which pretty much switches between "I am going to throw out aerials in your direction from far away while I consider when to approach" and "I am going to approach now." I suppose this is better than the people who have no plan, and it will certainly beat down anyone not familiar with beating standard defensive zoning, but you're not going to be beating anyone in a set who pays attention to your actions.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
rathy I've gotta go soon I'd rather talk to you on AIM but here.

I slightly in ankoku's boat. a lot of your attacks have no purpose. you are bairing well out side of bair range, bair is not an effective wall like you can easily be punished for wiffing bair. you only wanna use it when you are in range of your enemy. That said don't fast fall it there is no real need, you want your whole time in the air to be threatening you want to be able to throw out that bair for as long as possible.
fast falling also makes the move easier to punish on sheild since you can't move as far away.

Nair personally I think it is a horrible approach tool easy to see coming easy to sheild grab (for most characters) fair is awesome don't be afraid of it.

Don't be afraid of empty short hops if your opponent inst in range. they aren't in range of your attacks so they can't hit you.

NEEDLES.
use them way~ more. at least have them charged. you should be using so people have to enter your zone. Then you can fair ftilt bair what ever. much safer.

Ftilt.
in most match ups ftilt should be your main spacing tool. it is very hard to punish for most of the cast if you as apacing it right. it start quick and ends fast. bair and fair have huge start up if you concider that you have to jumo and fall to use it. come out when ever and while on the ground you have more options too. so don't feel like you always have to be in the air.

Hit me up on AIM some time.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
My posts mirror the tone of whoever I speak to. That you stand out to me as one who enjoys antagonizing random people just to do so makes reading "there was really no reason to what you did post" all the more amusing. My comment is referring to the absolute directness of how you play. Almost regardless of where you are and where your opponent is, it really isn't hard to guess what your plan is, which pretty much switches between "I am going to throw out aerials in your direction from far away while I consider when to approach" and "I am going to approach now." I suppose this is better than the people who have no plan, and it will certainly beat down anyone not familiar with beating standard defensive zoning, but you're not going to be beating anyone in a set who pays attention to your actions.
I knew you would say that despite the only person I've really antagonized is Neo a few times. It seems odd that you would model your speech after someone you infracted, but if you see no error in it then that's fine. Lastly what you wrote now, is many more times helpful than anything you wrote before. This actually makes me aware of something I didn't even realize I was doing wrong. I would even thank you for pointing this out as it gives me something clear to work on. Thanks.

@<3: Soooo lazy to go on aim... I'll go on aim, but could you IM. I hate guessing at when ppl are or aren't online. It's like trying to catch a ghost.... or a ninja.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not to worry, the only thing I'm helpful at is telling rathy Aro what he's doing wrong, anyway. It's many more times more helpful than everything else I write. : j

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I recorded a ton of friendlies against Sinz tonite. If Ankoku is as ruthless and as sarcastic as he is to Rathy towards me i'm going to be sad lmao.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I wasn't being sarcastic at all. O.o I meant all that I said genuinely. When I said anything you wrote before I meant specifically concerning my videos. Come on... that wasn't obvious?

lol. Don't worry, Mars, I'm just getting special treatment.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not particularly interested in giving any more critiques.

J4pu

Smash Champion
My posts mirror the tone of whoever I speak to. That you stand out to me as one who enjoys antagonizing random people just to do so makes reading "there was really no reason to what you did post" all the more amusing.
I'm not particularly interested in giving any more critiques.
aww, I was looking forward to a "quit life" response from you if/when i ever post vids.
actually come to think of it, i have really old matches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL4LtAt1k3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmDIFIWANcA

critiques, insults, lulz, w/e, I'll take em all

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I recorded a ton of friendlies against Sinz tonite. If Ankoku is as ruthless and as sarcastic as he is to Rathy towards me i'm going to be sad lmao.
OH ****.

I am so sorry Mars =( We will record them to my laptop next time. I promise. Sorry :(

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Armada is ****
lol not really.. If he got 3 stocked by someone I play back and forth with on a regular basis at Pound...then no lol.

Armada is **** in Melee. Now that is 100% true. Best Melee Peach I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
He placed well in brawl @ genesis.

And you can't expect too much from Sheik lmao.

Idk, idc, his Sheik is cool looking.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I wasn't at genesis :(

He only has like 4 vids up. I could put up for vids where I look beast... just need to go to a national level tournament and get in the teens to get hype. tight.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
He didn't play anybody at genesis either and the sorta big names he did play he either lost, or switched from Sheik so yea.

-dMT-

Smash Lord

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Dmt, not trying to sound disrespectful but do you always roll that much toward someone or do you just do it against de3? It seem against danyo you approached in four fashions which I'll list in order in how often I saw them.

Dash behind him and grab
Roll behind him into grab
Roll behind him into jab
and dash attack

The fact that all of these options can be counter by de3 with a grab just baffles me that they could be so effective offline. Your approach of the de3 match up is so different then mine as I camp HARD and make him come to me and then use mostly space bairs, ftilts, nair cross ups, and a lot of GTFO moves like dsmash and strong nair on de3 shield, unless I can catch them off guard with one of Sheik other attacks. Because of my style though de3 ftilt begins to play a big part as once sheik is in mid range she can't needle camp anymore and has it either run or attack and ftilt limits Sheik options even air options. Shielding the Ftilt is very punishable but I haven't evolved my play yet into faking out him to Ftilt me mainly due to lack of de3 around.

I don't know, I can see the reasoning of the attacks you use but I can't wrap my head around how on earth what you did was so effective without start saying things about how Danyo was doing something wrong.

Edit: Oh by the way, JACKED. Thank you for the new mind games and the jab jab, jab jab, jab jab, attempt dash grab.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
lol goes to show you never know what works until you try. My general approach is using needle camping as a mix-up. I also like to force shield and look for trends that guarantee me a grab. Then my favorite part, as you'll see from the long combo strings, is the momentum. Once you're on a roll, a fat Dedede in the air can only be overwhelmed by what you're doing.

I do admit theoretically my approaches are horrible individually. When you mix them up, and manipulate your opponent, however, anything becomes viable. It's like magic. It's never real. The magician simply makes the observer feel like it is real... by good use of misdirection. xD

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Magic eh? I prefer my charts >_<

but I'll agree with you conditioning is very important I just generally don't depend on it as much as you most likely because I fear reverse conditioning by my opponent.

J4pu

Smash Champion
i only watched the first match
for the CG at very low percents mash as fast as you can to get out if they don't throw fast enough, he was throwing kinda slow, and the best way to get out of the Dthrow CG is to DI towards Pika and spam jump, it will cause you to footstool him if he doesn't time it perfectly (I'm not actually sure this is best for sheik but it's the best way for most characters to get out).
and the zelda sheik switching in this match-up is kinda funky unless you're ahead because then you're playing zelda when they're at low percents and sheik when they're at high percents which is generally the opposite of what that tries to achieve.

that's about all I got, the mu is definitely in Pika's favor.

Judo777

Smash Master
Nah Ankoku ur not bad it just took you 2 matches to figure out the MU. I never play matches against pika starting with sheik ill either A play with zelda the whole time or B swap out to sheik once i get over 50% depending on how zelda is doing. I hate playing pikas and its really not worth playing such and uphill battle when u are using a character whos down b only serves like 3 purposes. Those purposes being A kills (be it using zelda or switching twice eventually to refresh move set) B not getting ***** by cgs and C automatically having some safety in double blind matches.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I was trying to break out and mashing jump, but he got the buffer right and since he wasn't pummeling I couldn't break out early (if you don't pummel during a grab then there's a set amount of time before you can break out, no matter how fast you mash). I also actually lost my second jump a few times when it got interrupted by his usmash ender. After that I decided to stop playing his game.

J4pu

Smash Champion
if you don't pummel during a grab then there's a set amount of time before you can break out, no matter how fast you mash
does this not apply to tether grabs? because I've seen DMG mash out before a yoshi could pull his tongue back into his mouth, and the pika did a few throws that took longer than that by a fair amount

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tether grabs can be interrupted by any number of things, so I'm not sure.
I'd rather not only rely on being able to break out if the opponent is slow in a matchup involving a chaingrab that lasts that long, though.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
@ DMT

You did some pretty awesome things against DDD, like punishing him in the air and the jab jab aweseomenes, but you rolled waaaaay too much when you got towards the edge.

I mean, I guess I can't say too much because you won, but I don't think that works against high level DDD's with good reaction time (bair hitbox too good).

Even if it works like gangbusters right now I would try and cut down on that because it's one of the most easily punishable habits. I forgot if it was Chip or Valdens (two very good WA players if you don't know who they are) but someone once commented that Sheik's rolls make a really loud noise so they're easier to punish than most characters.

GodlyOwnage

Smash Rookie
Yes they do. Shiek rolls awfully laggyly and loud for a ninja >.>
and he up smash has a particully loud click to it, but maybe they are all like that idk. I only DACUS on sheik and snake so im not sure if they are all like that. But you beat DDD grats to you :D

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I know what you mean, but when the opponent shows no effort in punishing it... I'll use it as a way to get in and it works lol

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I remember watching you roll to ftilt and kept thinking even my scrubs friends punish me for that ****. I can get away with roll jab sometimes. =/

@ankoku's vids: I think you're past the point where you can keep acting like you suck. *Wathes the second vid* Well... um, everyone has their bad matches.

Too lazy to do a critique, but I would suggest not getting hit by thunder. And even if its not as easily avoided as I think it is, its more than telegraphed enough to sdi on reaction (correct me if i'm wrong). And one other thing, were those fsmashes intentional? They seemed to be and I was wondering what situations you think is appropriate for them.

ps: gr->dacus moar =P

Top Bottom