• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Sorry I'm late :yeahboi:.

imo DLA plays a more technical sheik, while Tutu plays a more read-based one. I guess for advice I would say that you gotta just do nothing sometimes DLA. You like to move a lot and against characters like diddy (who can punish you from the other side of the stage) you can get messed up pretty quickly. During our matches you kinda just ran in; your main goal should be to get diddy in bad positions and punish. But I definitely understand where you're coming from with playing 3 diddy's in a row, it's an annoying mu.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9TwVAbF0g vs. SK92 (MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-fDYcR6XU vs. Twinx (MK/Ness)

Thanks to Aisight for the upload!
bad dodging habit in general. lol spot dodge airdodge shield at super awkward times.
to much dashing, mix in walking with your spacing and baits
when he was spacing fair you couldve just like walked around and when he wiffed dash attacked him, or grab. but you couldnt because you where dashing (one example of many).
stop ****ing up the grab releases.
overall good followups, you play pretty streamlined, but sometimes you keep going for a gimmick after it's been used.... and it's not working lol.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
bad dodging habit in general. lol spot dodge airdodge shield at super awkward times.
to much dashing, mix in walking with your spacing and baits
when he was spacing fair you couldve just like walked around and when he wiffed dash attacked him, or grab. but you couldnt because you where dashing (one example of many).
stop ****ing up the grab releases.
overall good followups, you play pretty streamlined, but sometimes you keep going for a gimmick after it's been used.... and it's not working lol.
Pretty much lol.

Judo777

Smash Master
Sorry I'm late :yeahboi:.

imo DLA plays a more technical sheik, while Tutu plays a more read-based one. I guess for advice I would say that you gotta just do nothing sometimes DLA. You like to move a lot and against characters like diddy (who can punish you from the other side of the stage) you can get messed up pretty quickly. During our matches you kinda just ran in; your main goal should be to get diddy in bad positions and punish. But I definitely understand where you're coming from with playing 3 diddy's in a row, it's an annoying mu.
I love Sheik diddy!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I had a dream I was playing zelda last night. I was spamming Love on everyone and it was working some how... sh just before landing love. it was winning what ever match I was in.

work on that zelda if you are going to try and use her mars.
don't spot dodge against MK everything he does beats spot dodges except for grabs and neither of those MKs grabbed. spaced jabs, nair OOS, would be better. Even UpB instead in a lot of those situations would have beat out their safety nairs and tornados.

never air dodge into a tornado, no point. try for the nair or fair (fair produces that hit box in front of and below you on the last frames)

MORE NEEDLES! always more needles :D

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
dcold

never chain unless they cannot get the ledge. if the ever grab the ledge while you are in chain range you get on stage for free if you have double jump and an upB still.

watch your spot dodges and rolls. I'd suggest sheilding as little as possible it will force situations where you just can't roll or spot dodge. forces you to focus on proper spacing as a defensive method and just over all improves you zoning and defensive game.

Its all XP the more you play the better you'll get. you already doing well. Just watch those bad habits (Spot dodge and roll)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I had a dream I was playing zelda last night. I was spamming Love on everyone and it was working some how... sh just before landing love. it was winning what ever match I was in.

work on that zelda if you are going to try and use her mars.
don't spot dodge against MK everything he does beats spot dodges except for grabs and neither of those MKs grabbed. spaced jabs, nair OOS, would be better. Even UpB instead in a lot of those situations would have beat out their safety nairs and tornados.

never air dodge into a tornado, no point. try for the nair or fair (fair produces that hit box in front of and below you on the last frames)

MORE NEEDLES! always more needles :D
That Zelda transformation was a mistake lolol. Thanks for the tips though.:smirk:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You know what I probably should have but I was downloading that guy and wasn't too worried about it.

Middle of game 1 I realized the kid had no idea how to gimp Sheik or play offstage and he was one of those double dsmash type MK's and in my head I was like"I got thiszz!" lol.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
yeah I was watching Cross' falco, I really liked it. Reminds me of me lol.

Dcold

Smash Lord
We had many long conversations about Sheik before and after we played. I was trying to make him come back D:

Dat namesearch bait : -Cross-

I was all fangirl-ish when I had to play him. I was like are you LINE CROSS LINE ON SMASHBOARDS? YOU CREATED THE SHEIK VIDEO THREAD RIGHT? I'M A SHEIK MAIN!

-Cross-

Smash Ace
We had many long conversations about Sheik before and after we played. I was trying to make him come back D:

Dat namesearch bait : -Cross-

I was all fangirl-ish when I had to play him. I was like are you LINE CROSS LINE ON SMASHBOARDS? YOU CREATED THE SHEIK VIDEO THREAD RIGHT? I'M A SHEIK MAIN!
lol the baits. I should have stayed Falco, I think I could have brought it back. Oh well :/ It was nice meeting you, maybe I'll hang around here more.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Yeah you should have stayed Falco, they scare me. So does Wolf. Characters that get tilt ****ed like that scare me because they're so much better practiced at the MU than I am. Your Falco is also really good, and you should come by here more ;D

zApollo

Smash Ace
I have picked up sheik for a few weeks now and just recently played her in a state tournament.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3hijiAN1s

Niether of us knew the mu at all and were playing along as it goes. Any form of critique would be much appreciated. Should I crawl more? What mu nuances should I be aware of? etc.

I realise that I have performed a lot of technical errors, which naturally comes when picking up a new character. Should get those ironed out with time, I'm trying to rep sheik in Australia.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Don't GR usmash Wario until 100%. It doesn't KO until then, and GR nair is almost as much damage in the meantime. You didn't use much fair - while it seems to have low range, it is by far Sheik's most disjointed option, which will go a long way against Wario. Also, you were relying heavily on OOS punishes, which the Wario seemed to be catching on to as time went on. Try to put more faith in spacing from his attacks and beating them out with fair or ftilt (you can try some nairs or bairs for range, too, but they'll trade at best and just lose at worst if Wario is in the middle of one of his aerials).

Be careful about using aerial needles over the stage - it's 30 frames of landing lag.

Also not sure why you're trying so hard to time a punish on Wario's bite... you know it's variable duration, right?

Not sure if this is deliberate or just a habit, but try not to airdodge right into someone when escaping a juggle - Sheik falls decently fast, but is still really easy to punish for doing things like that.

Against wario, just stand still and beat his aerial approaches with tilts. Mostly utilt. If he mixes up landing with bite, then walk away and ftilt/needles, if you see him use his second jump feel free to rush him down. Up close use more jabs, this is just generally good vs everyone as Sheik, our jab is the same speed as Peach's and Falco's to give you an idea. Jab cancels lead into virtually anything, against wario I usually just cancel into grab. Jumping at wario is bad, so is being above him. For filling wario, try and use needles when he pulls out the bike, you -can- jump at him offstage and try to do stuff, but that can easily get you killed, because he has superior air control. If you must hit wario with an aerial, bair is your best bet.

When recovering try to use needle cancels to turn yourself around, so that you can use Bair to wall yourself off from gimps.

GR>Upsmash kills at 105.

Ban/strike SV. The moving platform is stupid for him, I'd also strike BF, and force him to pokemon/lylat/FD/Yoshi's.

Halberd is possibly his worst stage in the game, so CP him there.

Stage reasoning: Platforms give wario places to go while airborne, making his already incredibly hard to punish landings harder, the stationary platforms like BF are better for us because the option remains static, the SV platform however is situational but because of that it gets a bit of a surprise factor. Also SV is our second worst starter stage. It's terrible for us, most people only pick it because they're comfortable on it from years of playing on it, but it's not good for us.

Lylat: this one is a bit iffy, it's my personal favorite stage so I'm biased, wario is actually good here so if you aren't completely comfortable with the stage it may not be a good choice.

BF: platforms, GR-Upsmash has to be frame perfect to connect if you release him under a plat, that's annoying but doable, and there's a decent amount of space not underneath plats that you can grab him. It's probably tge most even stage in the MU.

FD: no platforms, we can abuse his landings/get grabs more easily here, wario's generally remove this.

Yoshi's: Wario gets ***** by the middle platform, it ruins his approaches, so just camp under it. Depending on the slant GR>Upsmash might not work, but you can replace the Upsmash with a nair and kill later, or go zelda for kills instead.

Pokemon stadium 1: It's like a play ground, lots of the transformations seal his movements, and we work well with walls.

Halberd: While it's moving he has a platform akin to Yoshi's that ***** his approaches, when it stops moving, he's on an FD with a platform that ***** his approaches. Also a full waft will kill him on the not moving portion of the stage, unless he does it from underneath. Regardless he loses it as an offensive option.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Her fair and her strong bair are equally disjointed, but her weak bair loses its disjoint considerably.

You can notice in that last image that the tip of her foot is just barely poking out past the hit bubble.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Uptilt pretty much destroys a Wario that tries to approach without thought, and needles hurt him when he's landing. If he's recovering with Bike at an angle able to be hit by aerial needles, use them, even if you don't think they'll hit, they create a space that he cannot possibly go in, meaning he has a harder time recovering. Tutu pretty much covered everything else.

If you ever notice how methodical a Wario uses his double jump, you've got severe damage as you can rush in an DA or even buffered DA before he hits the ground. You can also do this with needles. There are so many ways to punish him for doing things dumb, and it is beyond easy to rack damage with tilts and needles, that's pretty much the bread and butter for every MU, this one especially.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Thanks so much guys for your responses! I will be sure to not play as aggressive and rely more on countering his approaches with tilts and needles. And yeah I need to realise just how laggy using needles just before landing is, it's really quite bad.

The stage advice is a tremendous help, also using needles to reverse your position so you can recover with b-air is a brilliant idea~

I would also like your advice of using up-b on sheild. In this particular mu if wario is facing away his only option can be DACUS? Which can be easily SDId and punished. I find up-b counters premeditated approaches hard because of its invincibility and it outlasting spotdodge/airdodges into the ground. Of course it is situational and it resets your spacing but I think it can be really powerful if used right.

I just noticed a post earlier with Ocean vs a Wario, it's very informative and highlights some of the things said here.

Dcold

Smash Lord
For once I agree with Tutu's bashing of Wario. Wario's only really safe place is in the air AFTER he double jumps, and he has to come down eventually, and we're fast enough to catch him on that landing. Unless we're down by a stock, he can't really time us out effectively. We can actually time him out easier just because he can't catch us on the ground.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Don't GR usmash Wario until 100%. It doesn't KO until then, and GR nair is almost as much damage in the meantime.
Ive had people live to 120 with sdi even fresh :(

I dont like GR nair, the followups seem lame
why wouldn't you ftilt -> appropriate followup?

Top Bottom