• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ive had people live to 120 with sdi even fresh :(

I dont like GR nair, the followups seem lame
why wouldn't you ftilt -> appropriate followup?
Hell, at lower percents, I've been able to do silly stuff like GR fair nair ftilt whatever, but when it comes to textbook decisions, nair and uair work well enough.

Unless the Wario was SDIing the first hit into the second and then DIing the second hit upward, I don't see how they're surviving on any of the starter stages at 120% from a fresh usmash. Full sideways normal DI isn't enough to survive at 100%, and the distance gained from SDI isn't worth over 20% in damage.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
im assuming it's just pivot grab?

haven't bothered to practice it but I could see myself learning it
is there any vids up of it?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pretty sure Sheik ducks too low to properly infinite, but if she had one it'd be pivot grabbing Wario when he doesn't have a double jump. IR's combo was GR footstool bair full needlestorm single needle regrab.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Ed/Orion/Mars do you have Skype/Aim/Something? I'd love to pick your brains for some things, I've a regional coming up in a little over a week and there are some things I'd love to talk about that the Sheik Boards level of activity probably would make annoying :S

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ed/Orion/Mars do you have Skype/Aim/Something? I'd love to pick your brains for some things, I've a regional coming up in a little over a week and there are some things I'd love to talk about that the Sheik Boards level of activity probably would make annoying :S
No Skype no AIM no FLICKR no Twitter no Instagram no MSN.

I gotz Facebookz and Youtube thats it lol.

I suck anyways you don't wanna be picking my brain it will make you worse.

Edit: ED dat gimp on Stock 1 is nasty

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Ed you played really well in that set IMO. The only thing I noticed as the set progressed was that Ryo was successfully shielding/air dodging your attacks more often. I'm not sure if it was him predicting better or you punishing more sloppily, but either way, it's something you want to avoid.

I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is to learn how to gimp Ike more effectively. It seems like a lot of times you could have gotten a gimp with a good read, you jumped right at him and threw a Bair out or something, which he almost always read with an air dodge. Not only did this make you miss a gimp, but he was also able to land with immunity and get great stage control.

The most effective way to edgeguard Ike is to bait an air dodge. If you jump at Ike while he's recovering (or in a vulnerable position in the air), the only real option he has to avoid damage is his air dodge. His aerials are too slow to cover his landing unless he knows that you'll stay in one place. So if you jump at him, you'll usually outspeed any aerials he has and force an air dodge. If you're on stage, jump at him to force an air dodge, then super fast fall to the ground and you'll land right as his air dodge is ending, then you get a free punish with tippered Usmash, any aerial, any tilt, etc.

If he's offstage, just full hop at him from the stage and fall with him, a bit below him and out of his Fair range. If he air dodges, wait for it to end and double jump Fair him. If he Fairs you, wait for it to end and double jump Fair him. If he doesn't do anything for a while, just double jump Fair him because it's too fast for him to react to and it will hit him unless he gets a lucky read. Most of the time, any of these will result in a gimp.

Another effective (though somewhat risky) way to edgeguard Ike is to go for a stage spike while he's recovering with up B. If you know the timing, it's very possible to do this consistently. A little confidence goes a long way here.

Basically, you want to Fair Ike out of his Aether as he's rising. The easiest way to do this is to get behind him before he starts his aether. You want to grab the ledge, drop offstage as he's starting the aether so that you're behind him, and then double jump Fair him into the stage as he's rising. Since he's facing the stage, his sword hitbox shouldn't be near you, and you should be free to hit him with whatever aerial you want. Even if you do trade with him as he's rising, the hitbox will send you up instead of down, so there's no reason that it should gimp you. And the best part about this is that if you land the Fair, you're probably going to kill him no matter what % he's at, even if you don't stage spike him. If he's at low %, Fair will still have enough knockback to hit him under the stage where he can't recover anyways.

One caveat is that you don't want to do this if Ike has enough room to recover with reverse Aether, because obviously the hitbox will be facing you and you'll likely get gimped. If you see him spacing for reverse aether, get the **** outta there because it's not worth it.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything... I might not be super clear right now since I'm on my phone. Chicago has been Ike Capital USA since 08, and I live with an Ike main right now (Kirk), so I know the MU very well.

:phone:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Lol no problem, sorry I didn't stick to the actual match more. The fact is that you played much better than I would have, so I don't really have much to say except for MU-specific tips. Always impressive stuff.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Just need to mix up the ledge game and approaching. You did seem to FF Air Dodge to the ground in order to get near Ryo, and on the ledge he seemed to read you a decent amount after Game 1.

C.J.

Smash Master
Well it makes his bair almost impossible to hit you with. Then on top of that Ike's attacks are fairly slow so if you crouch you have the huge start-up of Ike's attacks plus the time it takes for the sword to actually move far enough to hit a crouching Sheik makes it really easy to PS attacks.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Were you using BDACUS after the grab releases? It looked like you were, I don't believe those tipper, like ever. Better to just wait and get the tipper and kill at like 90 (with some DI, 80 if they're silly and do none).

Since you like to use buffer Dacus, a decent way to use it I've found that works against character that like to be in that short hop range is to (if you have the lead), retreating autocanceled fair to bdacus, the timing is really easy.

I really like your use of needle cancels in the air to reverse your momentum like DDKs do, will probably try and steal that lol. Also I don't think you should be jumping over to MK when he's on the ground, it's sort of asking to be uaired by him pretty safely. Otherwise I think you played the MU decently even though you said before you're not good at the MU lol.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Daiki vs. M2K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPXUYia3bU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5:23 is where th match starts.

Aside from a few technical errors such as misplaced needle throws or dropped needle pivots. I think Daiki played very well. I feel like he was really gutsy with using the tether recovery as he did.

Definitely going to look this over some more. I really liked his control over Sheik.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well the man has balls i'll give him that. What happens if you get hit during the beginning animation of the chain tether?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
For some reason I dont think I ever responded to this

PokeOrion is my skype/aim/msn

Dcold

Smash Lord
Something fundamental I've found is staying on the ground rather than jumping a lot, especially since it's Tlink (one of my favorite MUs), you can wait on the ground and charge needles while they're jumping around camping and punish their landings. And as Tutu told me, you could probably walk a little more, her tilts are kind of dangerous to get hit by because it puts us in a more favorable position so it's pressure in itself. Will give an in depth critique later, I've a tourney today, hope I helped.

zApollo

Smash Ace
So basically I shouldn't get ahead of myself and patiently control spacing by walking around? That is so different to what I am used to haha.

Top Bottom