• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Alrighty Tutu,

I noticed against Zinoto that you dash attack alot. You have to be careful with most of the moves that you use on Diddy's shield because he can infinite you OoS. It's so dumb. Also, try not to use Dair in many early game situations. It's better as a later game mixup once you've allowed people to see your options. If it constantly works for you, cool but from what I saw. It wasn't. What was the transformation to Zelda for? It really didn't do much for you. Also, if you want, I can post some of my recent Zelda/Diddy matches here if you want to use Zelda in that MU.

Great job on getting the re-tether gimp on his first/second stocks. You have no idea how many times I've flubbed it, and ended up dying for it. Altogether in the first match, I feel like you were trying to rush him down no matter what, and were paying for it a ton. Sometimes against Diddy, you just need to slow down and chuck some needles. I didn't see enough of them until later. So yea, general advice for game 1 vs Zinoto is to just slow down and make him play the tempo game. He just waited with banana in hand and punished everything you did. Plain and simple with nothing fancy.

Game 2. I just want to ask, what do you like about PS1? I see you either CP here or Lylat often so just want to ask. I noticed that you slowed down a bit in this game and tried to play for a little more stage control. Definitely a good thing to do. Be a little careful with your rolls and spotdodges. He would stand next to you and wait for you to make a move. Use your ground mobility a bit more and try to avoid situations like these.

Gotta love what happened on his 2nd stock. Gets impatient and pays for it. Acceptable lol, but you gotta try and recover. You know how forgiving that ledge snap grab it lmao. You played a lot more confidently after that. You started playing a little safer on his shield and played more defensive which ran him into mistakes. I think you can still use more needles. Lastly, be careful on charged Usmashes because that equals infinites if he has a banana and no platforms to possibly mess him up.

Game 3, you're so aggressive right at the get go and he is just punishing you over and over. I noticed that he liked to have you in between himself with banana and another banana. Perhaps a habit of his? Anyway, you kept running to that situation and getting burned. Just slow down. On your second stock, it was more of the same. We can't afford to get desperate with wanting to take a stock. Sheik just can't do that, and you took most of your damage trying to force the action. Grab some more too because he would sit in shield a lot, so it could be an effective mix-up to dash and shield grab quick, vs dash shielding.

I'm sad that the infinite happened. It happened after the multiple empty dash attacks so I'll assume those were DACUSs, but you see what I mean about needing to be more safe on his shield with move selection. Sadly, game 3 was pretty ugly just because he forced desperation. Can't do that man. Nice set overall though.

With the Tech-Chase set, I'm happy with how you approached the MU with DDD, being committed to playing defensive. I got at least 6 or 7 laughs when you were just walking around him and spacing Ftilts. It was just making me lol over here. Great job with the Decayed Ftilt to Usmash link on his 1st stock. Right after, you died, and I was sad. I think you could have made the stage without adding the additional angle. Kudos on him though for getting ya when you were trying to tether.....not much to do there :(

Second stock was more of the same from the first. Patience, and punishing just about everything he did. It was really crisp. Same stuff on his third stock. You were really messing him up.

2nd game started out similarly but be careful when you get cornered with DDD. He can mess you up there. As seen by your death :(. Dat Fsmash...

You started to get more aggressive after that and it didn't work out sadly. He took the lead and started getting reads and punishes from your aggro. You made a nice comeback but Zelda didn't put it away until you died and came back. I feel like that was a lot of possible momentum lost but such is the risk with going to Zelda for the kill.

Lastly...Gordo.....sigh.

Third game, is close to what went down during the start of the first game. Great grabs on his landing. You need to mixup what you do after the throws because we really don't have anything guaranteed so slow that down sometimes. If he threw Bair each time you went after him, you'd lose or trade.

Your first death was weird. Most of the rest of the match would be saying the same stuff over and over man. Great stuff overall but you can afford to slow down sometimes.

The L-Cancel game doesn't exist :(

@DLA: Too many early % Dash attacks, you noticed how they were getting you hurt? That move starts getting better for quick punishments around 20% or greater. The first stock was really ugly, he really got the bulk of his damage on your dash attack usage so just be a little more wary with that move. Utilt is pretty much the anti-whistle move of choice because of the two hitboxes. That would likely be your juggle move of choice. you quickly got it back to an even game though it all worked out.

Try to limit your DACUS to a medium distance. Doing from too far away is gonna get you really hurt. Honestly you just overwhelmed him toward the end with pressure. The best advice is be careful on your dashes and dash-ins because you took most or even all you damage on you dashes. Walking will be really helpful for you.

After that white pikmin got off of you, I was loving every part of the start of game 2. Everything was hitting. You started fishing for the kill though and took some bad damage. After you killed him, you died because of being aggro. Sit on that lead because Olimar doesn't have to many great approaches which could lead to free punishes and a big lead for you.

Getting caught withe laser and Olimar was just unfortunate lol. You almost died because of another low percent dash attack so just be more careful about using it. I know its repetitive but it'll help you out a lot because you won't eat such free damage from after-lag.

Final stock was pretty dirty. You just cleaned up and pressured him into bad mistakes plus you capitalized on each one. Just be careful with the blunt aggression sometimes because you can leave yourself open. Overall, great job man.

Thanks a lot for the input, also the reason i didn't try and recover against zinoto game 2 when he died on his second stock was because the barrel explosion took my jump. I literally just shrugged at the fortunate turn of events. And i like ps1 because here a bunch of small spaces that sheik can chain wall combos off of, or get free switches to zelda and back if the opponent is camping you out.

edit: A lot of the time I switch to zelda while I'm losing is because I gave up and am gambling on the 1/1000 chance that some1 runs into a kill move.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Awesome, thanks Tutu and Ed.

Yeah I'm way too aggressive against Olimar. I hate the feeling of being pikmin camped. I see those little ****ers eating my Sheik and I want to kill the one responsible as quickly and painfully as possible.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I can give my input with our match Tutu if you want my opinion:

Your playstyle in the MU seems to be to rush me down and that would be fine, except I have bananas. If you want to do that playstyle, you have to setup a winning situation first. Whenever you get a banana, play keep away with it. Throw it to the other side of the stage (but generally not offstage) so I have to go through you to get the bananas back. Once you get those bananas away, you can use high pressure strings, but try to utilize more tilts, rather than aerials until you get :diddy: in the air.

As for the infinite, you don't really have to worry about any other :diddy: players doing it except me, but I'll put the three main things I know we can infinite out of for you to be aware of:

1. If you dash attack our shield, we can jump over your head and throw the banana down to start the infinite (like in our set).
2. If you use an aerial on our shield and land next to us, we can literally mash jump and start the footstool variation.
3. We can only do side b kick --> footstool infinite if we jump first (sheik is a tall character so we have to be in the air for it to work), so if you see us spamming short hop, that is what we are trying to do.

There are other variations, but they work on all characters so it's not really MU specific.

As for what you need to work on, I say just play safer until you get :diddy: offstage or in the air. Then you go balls deep with the edgeguarding. The major difference between you and Judo (besides the fact that he can DACUS :p) is that he edgeguards very aggressively. If you wanna win this MU consistently you have to do a better job at it. I wish I could've recorded at least one of our friendlies, if I was on the ledge, I took at least 30% getting back to the stage. Onstage, you gotta focus on separating us from bananas. The matchup is booty if you don't get them away from :diddy:. What I do like though is that you pressure hard at the beginning to prevent me from setting up. Judo charges needles, but I think that doing so puts him at an immediate disadvantage.

Also, Judo I think you shouldn't jump as much vs. :diddy:. Our fair acts like a fly swatter against :sheik: and jumping makes the move 10x more broken. Use more tilts and grabs and wait for me to get in the air before you start throwing out aerials.

So in short:

Judo: Stop me from setting up at the beginning and don't jump as much.
Tutu: Edgeguard more aggressively and don't hit my shield with dash attack >.>

Judo777

Smash Master
I can give my input with our match Tutu if you want my opinion:

Your playstyle in the MU seems to be to rush me down and that would be fine, except I have bananas. If you want to do that playstyle, you have to setup a winning situation first. Whenever you get a banana, play keep away with it. Throw it to the other side of the stage (but generally not offstage) so I have to go through you to get the bananas back. Once you get those bananas away, you can use high pressure strings, but try to utilize more tilts, rather than aerials until you get :diddy: in the air.

As for the infinite, you don't really have to worry about any other :diddy: players doing it except me, but I'll put the three main things I know we can infinite out of for you to be aware of:

1. If you dash attack our shield, we can jump over your head and throw the banana down to start the infinite (like in our set).
2. If you use an aerial on our shield and land next to us, we can literally mash jump and start the footstool variation.
3. We can only do side b kick --> footstool infinite if we jump first (sheik is a tall character so we have to be in the air for it to work), so if you see us spamming short hop, that is what we are trying to do.

There are other variations, but they work on all characters so it's not really MU specific.

As for what you need to work on, I say just play safer until you get :diddy: offstage or in the air. Then you go balls deep with the edgeguarding. The major difference between you and Judo (besides the fact that he can DACUS :p) is that he edgeguards very aggressively. If you wanna win this MU consistently you have to do a better job at it. I wish I could've recorded at least one of our friendlies, if I was on the ledge, I took at least 30% getting back to the stage. Onstage, you gotta focus on separating us from bananas. The matchup is booty if you don't get them away from :diddy:. What I do like though is that you pressure hard at the beginning to prevent me from setting up. Judo charges needles, but I think that doing so puts him at an immediate disadvantage.

Also, Judo I think you shouldn't jump as much vs. :diddy:. Our fair acts like a fly swatter against :sheik: and jumping makes the move 10x more broken. Use more tilts and grabs and wait for me to get in the air before you start throwing out aerials.

So in short:

Judo: Stop me from setting up at the beginning and don't jump as much.
Tutu: Edgeguard more aggressively and don't hit my shield with dash attack >.>
The very first match i tried to stop you from setting up, normally i try to grab a banana they pull and instant throw it offstage, but you just faired me in the face then grabbed me. I was really caught off guard by your willingness to say "screw bananas" and YOLO at me sometimes. Also you are WAAAAYYYYY better at using monkey flip than any other diddy i have ever played.

Judo777

Smash Master
Also none of olimars aerials bar uair beats any aerial in the game (except negative priority ones).

Well considering that on his Fair the pikmin don't have a hitable hit box, if he fairs, and we fair.. and his fair hits our fair... we lose. It's an actual disjointed aerial move like marth's fair. Which happens quite a lot if you chose to chase olimar in the air after a throw.

Judo777

Smash Master
Well considering that on his Fair the pikmin don't have a hitable hit box, if he fairs, and we fair.. and his fair hits our fair... we lose. It's an actual disjointed aerial move like marth's fair. Which happens quite a lot if you chose to chase olimar in the air after a throw.
His pikmin can be hit when he fairs. They can be hit when he does any of his pikmin based attacks including uair, it just so happens that his uair has like 11 hitboxes and practically no aerials in the game can clank it all so they lose.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Welp, I took a good time to take a break from Brawl, haven't been any tournaments up here in a while + Hurricane Sandy came through so there probably won't be any until like December, then there's Apex.

Not sure if I'll be going to Apex, hectic time with College Apps (I'm a youngin' compared to you all ._.) and all that. Will probably catch up with all of these videos y'all have put up & will get back into the game soon.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
best options for landing vs lucario?

I find myself having to dair someone frequently if I get hard reads because dsmash beats out bair and fair from above most of the time, and lasts long enough to cover airdodge.

On FD where I have little mixups other than going to the ledge, it's extremely annoying.

also is there a collection pics for sheiks hitbubbles/boxes

/not q and a but lol this seems to be 2 seconds more active than anything else.
also if I get some replays of my sheik does anyone want to upload

id like to make an edit and say that it's not like Im getting his by dsmash every landing but moreso that it just hits more than I feel it should so anyone w/ options hook me up xD

If he's down-smashing if your directly above him you can go for a footstool, or land with chain to break his smash charge(assuming he's charging).

You could also try landing with an auto cancelled vanish, I watch Japanese Sheik's do it a lot to bait the opponent into an unsafe punish.

I don't think we have anything that's not iffy for landing vs lucario, but those are the only ones off the top of my head.

JPenJr71121

Smash Rookie
Question about the chain.

Hello, I'm starting to pick up Sheik much more frequently now, because I think many people have a hard time with the matchup. I was watching a match on Youtube and I saw something unusual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYbp_21h_k
At 3:05 Judo is accomplishing what appears to be multiple hits in succession with the chain on Logic's Olimar. I have since attempted this on my own and have not succeeded.

Can somebody mre experienced with Sheik than myself shed some light on the matter?
Thanks,
JPenJr71121 :reverse:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you start the chain so that Sheik throws it out while still in the air, but lands so she doesn't automatically retract it, the chain gains the properties of the aerial version (more damage per hit, fewer hits, a LOT more hitstun per hit).

JPenJr71121

Smash Rookie
Follow-Up Question(s)....

If you start the chain so that Sheik throws it out while still in the air, but lands so she doesn't automatically retract it, the chain gains the properties of the aerial version (more damage per hit, fewer hits, a LOT more hitstun per hit).
So if you start the chain in the air, the chain doesn't auto retract? How long does it stay out? Sorry if I sound totally naïve. I feel as if I should probably know this already, but what is mentioned in the vid I posted earlier is right. The chain is underutilized, so I wasn't sure where to look for information. This actually prompted me to join the boards instead of just reading them

Thanks,

JPJR :reverse:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The chain auto-retracts if you're in the air for too long (like around a second), but doesn't if you're on the ground.

JPenJr71121

Smash Rookie
Yes! It finally worked. Thank you so much for putting up with my deluge of questions. I've been cycling through mains since I got the game, and now having this under my belt cements Sheik's position.

I had no clue that there was so much in the way of advanced techs. The last 6 months have been quite the learnung experience for me.

Once again, thanks for answering my stupid questions, and I hope I can eventually make some more valuable contributions to the Sheik boards

Until then Happy Brawling,
JPJR :reverse:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
WABA stuffs.

http://youtu.be/vGtGgnNFKFI
Game 2 vs BigLou

http://youtu.be/rwue1vZoMBQ
Set vs. Ryo

http://youtu.be/Qc5Y1E4BC80
Set vs Gadiel_Vastar

I'm requesting serious feedback on these. Particularly the BigLou and Ryo sets. Kinda annoyed and tired of losing to Ryo. Jab is a brick wall. All feedback is welcome and appreciated and ask questions as well. I'll try to tell ya what I was thinking if you're confused to what I might be doing.

C.J.

Smash Master
Vs Ryo

Grab more at kill %s, grab less before then
When you have a 60% lead like you did G1 play like M. Lorenzo. He grabbed you out of an approaching AD into bthrow->dash attack into you being on the ledge. Stay on the ground and run around in circle. Only take absolutely guaranteed punishes.
Be content w/ smaller punishes rather than risking something to get a bigger one/string going (see: stock 1 game 2 where you could have just done a ledge attack to punish but wanted to start a string and got usmashed for it).
You GOTTA be able to gimp aether better. You keep trying to do chain things once you hit him offstage. Chain to the ledge, get onto the stage, and then speedhug if you think he's going for the ledge. So much more invincibility/easier. Additionally, if you do it that way, you can look at his height when he starts the aether and be able to guess if he's going for the ledge or the stage. Position yourself accordingly. Plus, you can always just rack up free damage if you're on the stage- needle his upB and then ledge trap him.
When he does aether to the stage and you're on the ledge, bair him back off instead of fairing him towards the middle.
Be a LOT more patient after throws. You have him in the air and he is pressured to act first. All you have to do is react. When he's at higher %s and the throws send him high, empty SH to bait the panic AD then double jump for the uair/bair you desperately want.
Your jab is what, frame 2? Watch for his jab cancels on shield. Shield drop after jab2 into your jab. If I can do it w/ Snake, you can do it w/ Sheik.
Quit spotdodging when you get up from the ledge. Ike's jab eats that for free. Shield and then do the above or roll away if you MUST.
Maybe it's because I'm watching more Melee, but your DI is really easy to read and it's getting him free follow-ups.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Alrighty sounds good. Thanks man, also, think we can practice the anther gimp? I've hit Ikes out of aether but I want to understand that move more and how to gimp it.

C.J.

Smash Master
Makes no difference to me. I'm heading to Jax Thursday morning so I can come up Wednesday night if you want?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Here are some videos from my recent tournament outing. I know I have a lot to work on as far as technical play is concerned, so any advice on what to expect when getting attack -> grab down to a science, or anything specific I should know about DACUS would be nice.

I fully admit that I "panic-spotdodge" too much, but that's mostly a result of trying to get Diddy to think twice about some of his textbook trapping options, since I can't just weave away like I can with Wario.

Also, every F-Smash you see is supposed to be an F-Tilt. Oh well.

Against Billy (Snake)

Against LionArmor (Marth)

WF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong)

GF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong, pt. 1)

GF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong, pt. 2)

Dcold

Smash Lord
I've the next week off from school, and I've been playing some Ladder Matches recently, and getting some pretty decent MUs and matches so I'll try to upload them, possibly with commentary to help understand my thought process (really just for me, so I can see why I did things, and see if there was a better option to do tbh).

Wifi matches but they weren't all that laggy, so yeah, cheers.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I've the next week off from school, and I've been playing some Ladder Matches recently, and getting some pretty decent MUs and matches so I'll try to upload them, possibly with commentary to help understand my thought process (really just for me, so I can see why I did things, and see if there was a better option to do tbh).

Wifi matches but they weren't all that laggy, so yeah, cheers.
come over so I can learn how to use random sheik stuff

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Here are some videos from my recent tournament outing. I know I have a lot to work on as far as technical play is concerned, so any advice on what to expect when getting attack -> grab down to a science, or anything specific I should know about DACUS would be nice.

I fully admit that I "panic-spotdodge" too much, but that's mostly a result of trying to get Diddy to think twice about some of his textbook trapping options, since I can't just weave away like I can with Wario.

Also, every F-Smash you see is supposed to be an F-Tilt. Oh well.

Against Billy (Snake)

Against LionArmor (Marth)

WF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong)

GF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong, pt. 1)

GF against Player-1 (Diddy Kong, pt. 2)
Hi everyone! Refelex I'm in GA now... we need to play at some point even though I have like 2 years of rust on my now...

just quick things I'm seeing needles are made to punish landings every time they a forced to land on the same level as you the should take damage snake fox mk etc. are like the exceptions to this rule.

if your opponent is trying to edge guard you while below 100% wait for thier invul to run out and then upB so the the explosion forces them off the edge and aim for the edge. no matter what option they do you will always catch the ledge. period. They stay the die. the let go to aerial you for some reason? you are invul you grab the ledge before the explosion

you got so much damage from landing on stage with upB the you just didn't need to take. only people with chain hogs can stop this. and you can land on stage by reaction and receive what will normally be a much smaller punishment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oThaybman8A#t=394s
^ this is you doing what I am talking about. do it every time.

use your second jab! I see you 1 jab like you are falco use your second grab it has decent advantage and links to grabs at lower percent very well. at higher percents you can combo into kill moves like nair.

random junk no one knows:
Marth has no hit box above him when he upBs its only in front of him. moves like nair beat it from above.

I can't see you versus player-1

Dcold

Smash Lord
Oh ****. I'm late lolol

Anyway it's Brick City here so no chance of me leaving my bed :))))))

First set I'll do is probably my most recent set vs Holy, was pretty close. Apparently the way YT works now, I can't log into my old account where I uploaded other videos because it's not a google account. Whatever, I'll link it when I do my stoof.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Pretty sure he is back in the U.S for good, foo.
this

if you're thirsty to improve you should come anyway :p

also

I have replays of my sheik. I don't have a laptop atm so I can't even set up stuff to upload them. If anyone can upload stuff, I can send the replays to them (it's vs a few good high/mid level MKs, but I didn't ask for their permission so I'm not naming them).

Top Bottom