• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

sheikamaru

jive
need critique plz.. this guy is either bot or top of a tier or b tier respectively so he's really good. this is the first time i fought him in tourney but i'm pretty sure i can get him next time if crap doesn't happen

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well he's not a bot, he made a lot of mistakes as did both of you throughout the match up.

The two biggest being your spacing and how aggressive you were being throughout the match, you should be throwing way more needles. If your not in side B range you should always be stocking needles unless your in a favorable position. I can't stress that enough because that changes the match up. Once you start making him come to you then it's much easier to take full advantage of Zss design flaws.

Flaws suchs as,
Side B has a huge hole in the middle (like anyone didn't know that)
Ground jab can't combo into the third hit (unless your airborne if I recall correctly)
Extremely long cool down on grab which more or less guarantees a free dacus every time they miss.
Sheik can duck under the later part of Zss dash attack thus removing her best method of closing in.
Lack of any aerial shield pressure beyond side B.
Zss neutral B putting her in dash attack range.

What just kills Zss is when the match starts begin planking on the edge or camping on the platforms until her suit pieces disappear, stack needles if she's far away, throw them when they are in range, beyond that crouching and waiting to either sidestep, shield, or downtilt(to counter aerial attacks). Although when the chance present it's self become aggressive and combo her, your boxing game can get you pretty far in the match up alone.

If you play defense against Zss the match swing something close to 60/40 sheik advantage.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
Stay more in your sheild against zzs. She does not like to grab because of her massive lag if she misses.

So...just sheild, and punnish, and dont spotdodge :p

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Phil.

i know your still working on stuff and everything, but you telegraph your DACUS attempts. I could tell all of the dash attack were failed DACUS attempts and it was painfully obvious when you were gonna try one.

If your ever gonna DACUS in a match without a grab release, it needs to come as a total surprise. You do a lot of random things in general like FH needles and stuff lol.

Also way too much approaching. You had the lead I would have just stood still lol.

You seem to have most of the fundamentals down now it seems you just need to learn the more advanced stuff with Sheik like spacing, when to FF your aerials, staying safer....etc.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
hehe yeah, I had hypoDACUSitis. Thanks for the critique!

I just realized how many times I could've jabbed instead when I was inside and got more damage :p not to mention I could've DI'd out of ZSS jab more.

rough sheik is rough lulz. 1/4 of those DAs were supposed to be DACUS's, and 1-2 of those vanishes were supposed to be FH needles.

I love FH needles after throws, because I can do damage w/o the risk of missing/retaliation from a chase, and sometimes you get another chase off of it. low risk, high reward, y'know?

Oh and this is a friendly match, I would probably play much more conservatively in tournament lol.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Pg3dqUBto

another tourney match.. can post this for the sonic vs sheik mu if you want.. it's not espy but it's a sonic lol
good stuff. only suggestions I have are punish soinic's landing with needles every time free damage and it really adds up. (even spring board to down air = free garunteed damage for example)
jab1>jab2>dsmash or nair very strong ate kill percents don't forget you have it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NCi6p9_EI

critique mah noob sheik. The beginning looks horribad, but it gets better.
don't dsmash so much you are staling it and generally have better options that will do similar or more damage! too risky. when dsmash is garunteed jab2 into grab is going to net you better damage and better follow up options, or jab2 into dsmash or nair is going to net you more damage and garunteed (for the most part) the kill move connecting.

I saw you finish ftilt with dsmash, on characters like ZSS she could downB of utilt but it is at no risk to you. so finish you ftilt locks at higher up with utilt or uair they both do the same damage as hit 1 of dsmash but since you'll get more ftilts in you'll be netting more damage over all, you'll decay your ftilt more, and you'll be left with better follow up options.

needle landing lag. You did it a few times in there but there were tons of times you missed it going for dacus instead.

love the full hop needles. very attractive no sheiks do that it really is low risk and can yield pretty good damage and good follow ups.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah I did this match as a warmup and I'm like "FH needles are pretty tight". I've gotten fthrow -> read DI -> FH needles -> FF -> ftilt lock -> usmash, felt like a million bucks.

Interesting, I'll keep in mind to use more utilt and uair. I love dsmash b/c the high knockback allows me to reset to a neutral situation, and thus charge more needles safely, but yeah I should probably start limiting it to low percents. I noticed that against heavies/FFers, a lot of people will get utilt -> DA at low percents, is that reliable?

Man I hate losing DACUS consistency after a long hiatus :( Imo it's about as much a hard read as vanish, the thing I like about vanish though is that it looks like a spotdodge, so people will try to punish the latter end, when the invincibility frames kick in :)

I didn't use it a lot in this match because I was getting pressured by jab a lot, which I feel I should just DI out and punish more, but atm I feel like both are very usable.

TKD

Smash Lord
From my experience...
I dacus a lot too (I think it's a lot, but it depends). I either perform them as a combo (so there's pretty much no chance to punish), from a grab release, or as a punish (as soon as ddd whiffs his sidetilt, if i block something with lots of cooldown, etc).
Random usmash can also work depending on the opponent's attitude, either it's totally unexpected or the opponent's very passive so you space it to be relatively safe on block (release it near them as you pass through).
Aiming to land the sweetspot vs aerial opponent will usually result in either them airdodging or getting hit.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Aiming to land the sweetspot vs aerial opponent will usually result in either them airdodging or getting hit.
Yeah I don't think I said that but that's exactly how I feel. the window is too small to reliably punish landing with dacus IMO against most of the cast. you move so fast that you'll run into most pokes before the opponent has that landing lag that you were aimming to punish even if you did time it perfectly.

don't feel like you need to work so hard to charge needles. You can charge them while recovering/after knock back, you can charge them just outside of attack range pretty comfortably too. (which is neat because you can also then mix in instant cancels to force interesting reactions, spot dodges, rolls jumps, ect. because it looks like you'll needle toss) you can normally cancel and shield or jab on reaction or worst case roll.

Don't bother charging needles until the pieces are gone. You're just going to frame trap yourself and take one to the face. also if you get in between ZSS and her pieces you should get the pieces yourself and either use them against her or throw them off stage if you don't feel comfortable with your item game. You spot dodge way too much against zero suit samus. This zero suit in particular mainly went for D-smash's to the point where it was getting telegraphed, but you kept spot-dodging and getting hit by them. ZSS snowballs really well so you have to take care in letting her get started. Overall I really like your Bair's but you rely on it too much, and by the end of your first stock game 1 the ZSS had already figured out a way to counter it, and thats where your game really fell apart. It's kind of like you're relying on Bair to win. I don't mean to say you should stop doing it, but find other things you can approach with.
Tourny set vs DS4 (Toon Link)

DS4 vs Mars (sheik)
match 1
match 2
match 3
Game 1: You were having a really hard time getting the kill, and while DS4 didn't capitalize, you were often way too far off/below the stage going for the super risky kill with a stale move, this lead to your SD on your second stock. You're pressure game is really good, DS4 was having a really hard time regaining his distance from you. And even tho you weren't getting the kills until 150% you weren't taking much damage, making the best out of a bad situation.

Game 2: Too much spot dodging, almost every time you missed an aerial you'd land and spot dodge. and once again you chased him too far/low and got punished hard for it. 1st stock d-smash gimp, 3rd stock you got spiked. Your second stock was going pretty good for a while, but then you lost momentum and air dodged into a charged u-smash (I guess you were expecting a bair or a uair). I'm not sure what would have been a better option, it was kind of a gamble, but even though air dodging might not have been a bad choice, you shouldn't have done it away from him lol.

Game 3: You fixed the only issue you were having in game 1. You saved your nair for kills and that made a huge difference. No having to chase mad far off the stage means a smaller chance of getting gimped. You also did a great job frame trapping with your u-air into nair. You still did the miss aerial into auto-spotdodge thing so watch out for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NCi6p9_EI

critique mah noob sheik. The beginning looks horribad, but it gets better.
I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said. You could nair oos to mix up your oos punishes.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Is that Tutu on a different account^

if so thanks for critique:)

If not who r u???

Replays from my last tournament. I've been trying to pick up other characters which is why some of my replays aren't all Sheik.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHaYB95hRM&feature=related (Tutu :sheik: vs ArcRevived :pit:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB_49o-uQEU (Tutu :sheik: vs Ron :falco:) Even though the whole set is recorded I only went Sheik game 1. Game 2 I choose to do a Mk ditto on Delfino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZs5ZFXpLZQ (Tutu :peach: :sheik: vs Pzo :wario: :metaknight:) Games 2 and 3 were the ones I played as Sheik. Game 2 begins at 3:55)

TKD

Smash Lord
I meant that the opponent gets hit. DACUS vs air opponents is good if you aim to sweet-spot it. If the opponent has to air-dodge to avoid it, it's pretty safe.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Tutu, your matches against ArcRevived were brilliant! Great use of Dair, and the dodging and perfect shielding of the arrows was tooo good haha.

Wow I doubt they will be able to have children after that MK ditto on Delfino.

sheikamaru

jive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6UvrevyDaA&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-8VXuljw8&feature=channel_video_title

In match 1 ive failed hard so its not posted could win that set but failed at match 3 stock 2

have fun
i'm no expert at the marth mu but i can give some advice

vid 1
at 0:23 you gotta remember that marth has the option to upb out of the aaa combo. so if your gonna do that just do it for like one round then try to bait an up and punish likewise. you also had the option of grabbing him which is my choice of punishing imo

at like 0:34 sec you never wanna charge a fsmash or use fsmash in the match at all unless you are sure it's going to punish. like you coulda used that at :23 as well :p i also notice you whiffing a lot of dash attacks, you wanna be more on spot w/ them at least lol another tip would be to get into that mentality of not rolling so much when marth is setting up a wall on ya. good marths are always expecting rolls from you. like i was told from another sheik main here that marths will "pump" their side b's to lower your sheild or get you to roll like around 3:05 ish and at 3:15 a solid up air would have sealed the deal but good job either way :D

match two.... i'd say to utilize your down throw more at early percents because they lead into easy reads. they have two options. either to dair your follow up or airdodge and di to which ever side but you can generally tell which side they are diing too. almost had him on that third one though it's just that he got some early reads on you which hurt. remember against marths, bait their up b so you can punish them. it's a guessing game you can't know for sure just something you'll have to pick up :p

i kept thinking you were the original light they have here lol small world :p

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Your good man. people need to come up with more original names.

Like honestly how many Lights and Darks and Shadows are out there on Xbox live and gamer tags in general?

Light25

Smash Cadet
Thanks so far guys , my name is Light since 2007? sorry lulz xD didnt even know death note :D
ill visit soon (next month) some tourneys again , ill feed ya with vids.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
vid 2
0:55 that jab should of lead to a second jab which could have lead to a free dsmash or prom a nair (since he was so high I'm positive that nair would have hit) which could have been a kill.
you don't have to full hop your aerials to hit through the plats if your enemy is on them sh uair and fair and bair all worl wonders and you pretty much can't be punished that isn't the case with full hopped pokes through the plats. utilt is also huge for poking through the plats. you apply presure and lower sheilds and make it easier for usmash to shield poke if they want to roll to avoid you.

Um... wished I saw more needles especially at a distance. Also would of liked to of seen more jab1-jab2 no realy reason to do it at the percents you were hitting with IMO.
Overall I'm digging it though. I loved the use of dair you used it very very well. I like your air chains bair->bair ftilt->uair->fair did really well managing your move decay.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've always been a Lucario main, I just really like Sheik (use her to flesh out my problems in my current gameplay) and feel like I want to prove that she's underrated. She's a blast to use against D3, ZSS, Falco, and Marth, and I'm thinking of using her for once in tournament, since all she's been doing is help me win a couple of mms lol :p

Top Bottom