• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah you recovered well though for the most part.

I need to play more.............................................................................

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately Chibo I am in Korea so no fun for me.

Also, I'm not sure it's that different since we still couldn't combo each other. What would you do differently?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
This is Oody. I'm on this dumb name because I made it long before I got into competitive smash.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
hey guys, I don't have all of them uploaded, and I forgot to save about three of them, but I have a few vids up from my most recent tourney last saturday. I'm not impressed with my play and am more appalled by it than anything but I figure I'd post it since I said I would

I really don't like the way I played in them but meh >.>

Also, one of the matches I didn't record was the second game against the tink, where I was about to time him out but SD'd. There was like 30-40 seconds left and I was chillin on the ledge and when I went to tether I started charging my needles instead and couldn't cancel in time :( Just thought I'd point out that I was about to time him out :)

EDIT: Actually nevermind, I'm too embarrassed to show them >.> I know I play a billion times better to I'm just gonna wait so I can upload something worth watching lol

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Nice, thanks a lot <3. are you going to get any vids of yourself? So far I only have one match under your name... that's recent anyway

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah I have quite a few.
more versus (4 or 5) ICs :/
2 versus Ness
and 3 or 4 dittos versus renki

I have a handful of match of renki versus ICs as well. I'll try and get those up in the nearer future... works killing me..............

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Don't worry about, just get them out when you can. If you could though, get those matches with IC's out first, because I would like to see how you play that one out. Also when did all these matches take place, just so I can put the correct date up when you upload them later.

Btw match 2 was rough for Renki. Renki did you not know the Diddy MU? I do realize it is FD though....

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
renki doesn't (or diddn't?) know the match up...

GDX is a really strong diddy main best in our state at the very least. Renki doesn't know how to deal with banana's in the match up and that was really his biggest down fall spare the botched gimp that turned into a suicide.

Renki

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about, just get them out when you can. If you could though, get those matches with IC's out first, because I would like to see how you play that one out. Also when did all these matches take place, just so I can put the correct date up when you upload them later.

Btw match 2 was rough for Renki. Renki did you not know the Diddy MU? I do realize it is FD though....
I used to know the diddy matchup and fair decently in it, but over time I've lost my grasp on it.

It's not a matchup I'm particularly fond of, but I'll get back into the groove of it.

GDX is our best diddy main in the state, so it's not a surprise I got molested. :\

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah don't worry, I know GDX is good, but seeing you 2 stock his Wario game 1 I didn't expect a 3 stock. But stock counts don't really say much, especially if you SD.

Renki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah don't worry, I know GDX is good, but seeing you 2 stock his Wario game 1 I didn't expect a 3 stock. But stock counts don't really say much, especially if you SD.
Yeah, his Wario is just a fun char for him. He's not serious with him...at least for now.

I just don't really know what safe options I have vs Diddy. I kind of have it sealed in my head, "If I touch his shield and he has a banana, I die."

That's literally what my mind me tells me the entire time I'm fighting Diddy.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^Yup, although the recovery mess-ups also had a lot to do with why he also didn't do so hot lol.

Diddy's weird, it's annoying because the usual thing that works against shielders (crossing up) doesn't normally work in this case. If you have a projectile, this is often a goooooooood boon to this MU (with Lucario it's almost golden), I'm not sure about the startup of sheik's needle animation, but if it's as fast as Lucario's/faster, you can hit him with needles everytime he glide tosses to disrupt his followup potential and make a favorable trade (if you have enough needles and do this often enough, he's going to think twice before throwing out his bananas for setups lol). Unlike AS though, you have an even better leverage for when Diddy mixes it up and starts to air toss over, since needles are waaaaaaay better at trapping landings. Put a banana behind you, iirc Sheik's upward throw is kinda weak which means diddy still has access fairly easily, but create that wall by either placing one of the bananas behind you or holding it and using needles in tandem. Get into the habit of picking up bananas you would land on by air dodging, since sheik falls fast you're going to need this pat down lol. I wouldn't try touching diddy's shield much in this MU, and if I do, I would do a lot more baiting, since all of diddy's options can be hefty on impatient opponents (fair is super annoying lol).

Renki

Smash Journeyman
^Yup, although the recovery mess-ups also had a lot to do with why he also didn't do so hot lol.

Diddy's weird, it's annoying because the usual thing that works against shielders (crossing up) doesn't normally work in this case. If you have a projectile, this is often a goooooooood boon to this MU (with Lucario it's almost golden), I'm not sure about the startup of sheik's needle animation, but if it's as fast as Lucario's/faster, you can hit him with needles everytime he glide tosses to disrupt his followup potential and make a favorable trade (if you have enough needles and do this often enough, he's going to think twice before throwing out his bananas for setups lol). Unlike AS though, you have an even better leverage for when Diddy mixes it up and starts to air toss over, since needles are waaaaaaay better at trapping landings. Put a banana behind you, iirc Sheik's upward throw is kinda weak which means diddy still has access fairly easily, but create that wall by either placing one of the bananas behind you or holding it and using needles in tandem. Get into the habit of picking up bananas you would land on by air dodging, since sheik falls fast you're going to need this pat down lol. I wouldn't try touching diddy's shield much in this MU, and if I do, I would do a lot more baiting, since all of diddy's options can be hefty on impatient opponents (fair is super annoying lol).

Much appreciated. I'll try those tidbits and see where it gets me.

I actually 'use' to be pretty good with items, but yeah. Just something I gotta work on again. I would use Diddy(to practice item control), but I think he's a stupid character, so nah, lol.

I'm typically 'good' at recovering, but yeah, we all have our days. ^o^

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
yes he is but sheik is more fuuuuuuun ;-; only time marth is fun is when u land a tipper and get a shield break >.<

not to mention ppl who wreck my marth get beat by my sheik... :p or they just know my habits too well which is bad for marth...i need to play cfl more apopka know me too well :p

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hey everyone, this is my unfinished combo video. It still needs a lot of work and when it is finished it will be way longer. This is the beginning of what will be my first and last combo video.

Anyways, I want it to be amazing when I finish. That is where you, the viewer, come in. Please critique my intro video. What do you think about when you finish it? What do you not like? Do you dislike my music choice? I tried a little bit of editting, do you dislike that? What replay clip looks stupid to you? (none were set up BTW) ect. ect. ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOalKmM6Nw

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoyed how precise and efficient Earth's Sheik is. He doesn't waste any movement hopping around throwing out crappy aerials and as a result he gets punished far less. good spacing > flash

He rolls way too much though and I'm surprised he got away with it as much as he did.

Also, there is no way in hell Masashi is the best Pit if he can't punish rolls.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Being the best Pit is like being the best Sheik....doesn't really matter. Also all he does is plank and camp on FD in there metagame so I dunno not impressive to me.

Juusuchi imma watch your vids now.

Juu I like your Sheik, you seem to have good spacing and a general idea of what you can and can't punish.

The MK vid I didn't really see why you kept throwing single needles. Also too much being afraid in your shield and not just reacting with powershields. When you shield you are stationary....shielding should be kept to a minimum especially against characters like DDD, MK. Of course shielding the obvious chrged smashes or whatever is a given but if DDD is spamming bairs at you you don't want to just stand there in a shield.

I like your Sheik though. Keep getting better.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Mars, I would actually really look into watching Earth's video, I think his mixup game is pretty good.

Edit: Lol, read that sentence and its context wrong :p

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
More recent friendlies videos are upcoming, but this time we (Sole and I) did it in a set format. I don't always play Sheik here, so if you see other characters you'll know why. I'll explain why I didn't play her in some MU's some time later.

I lost every set I played against Sole, but it was more or less player error attested to it. I outplayed him in just about every game one (save for the BF ZS one--- urgh) and then proceeded to do much of the same in the third matches, but choked trying to close.

Juushichi (EnJ) [Sheik/Zelda] vs Solecalibur (YSHDT) [ZSS] - L (Game One) |Start - 3:15|

Juushichi (EnJ) [Sheik] vs Solecalibur (YSHDT) [ZSS] - W (Game One) |Start - 5:34|

Juushichi (EnJ) [Sheik/Zelda] vs Solecalibur (YSHDT) [DDD, Snake] - W (Game One) / L (Game Three) |Start - 5:20 / Starts @ 9:04 - End|

Tewx2

Smash Ace
Oh I have friendlies and a Lost MM against King beef from about 3 weeks ago to post. When I get on my computer I'll post them.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Tew, everytime you ran at KB he would sit in his shield and wait for you to hit it. You need more mixups, I bet you could have simply ran up and grabbed him a lot of times, SHAD behind him and grab, or once you had a full needle charge you could have ran up to right outside his range and just stood there to see what he would do.

That second game was **** though.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I looked at Match 2 Efako, anyway here's some general advice:

-Practice your tech skill.
You need to be able to get maximum damage on an MK if you grab him especially if it's on FD. No reason not to DACUS after a grab release and get 20%+ even with move degeneration. Also you need to work on other Sheik techs, like timing of letting go of the edge, so you can get max invincibility frames from the ledge which is critical against an ledgeguarding MK. Also after grabbing the edge with your chain, you are too slow on your action afterwards. Unless your action of the edge is instant, you will again lose invincibility frames which is crucial

-Don't use your second jump carelessly
Sheik has low horizontal air speed, so once she has used her, it's very easy to predict where she will land. 3:21 is an example of that in your 2nd match along with your final death. Since Sheik has a great vertical jump, don't be afraid to FF past an edgeguarding MK and recover low and go for the edge or retaliate while recovering low.

-Anticipate
Try and always think ahead. This is very difficult, and you can only really learn by either playing MK yourself or asking the player and learning what types of reads/decision making process he goes through. Once you learn it however the MU will become easier.

I might add some more if I have time.

@Saviors: k

Top Bottom