• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

-Mars-

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Q04R4KqRk itsa me pool match vs Cadet i beat Bjay and got 1st in my pool lost in a close set to mr r and in loosers to gregs ( >.<)

edit: didnt play that good this match but its the only one from me
edit2:+ this 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6BMlJpiYWE&feature=related
Lol you walked the MK off on Delfino. I like your Sheik. I would critique it but European metagame is so much different from the U.S. it's hard to give an accurate assessment.

Congrats to both you and Biggad on the placings though (if Biggad actually went Sheik).

Edit: Excellent on maximizing your punishes for the most part. The MK wasn't very good at all but still you punished correctly in most situations. Your in love with DACUS though....that needs to change. Better players will not let you get away with DACUS as much. Would like to see you mix in some more nair OoS as well. Also I would advise against Zelda in this matchup.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
don't just run in usmash as zelda please. play solo zelda more against really good people if you plan on playing her. dins is very powerful against MK her has to shield or dodge it which generally makes it safe unless you are in shield grab range.
/shrug

Nice sheik, jab combo more would be the thing that stood out second most. over use of dacus was bad; cost you lots of damage that stood out the most.

I like your grab game and use of needles. you make a lot of choices i would spare jabs.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
really good I'm impressed with your play style over all

learn your percents so you can combo better you dropped a few true combos into ftilt locks. I'd suggest more jab in place of your "get off me" dsmashes jab is faster and against characters like DK you'll always get at least a grab if not the dsmash or nair you originally threw out. it safer on block too. jS would drop shield and get hit by dsmashes he shielded in many situations where if he waited he'd of gotten a free dsmash on you.

In down time always charge needles. if you need to move somewhere in down time stop running with needle charge or jumping needle charge if you'll get there with time to spare. waiting for an apporach? charge needles. they are waiting for an action from you? meh charge needles. they on the ground? rarely a reason not to if you are out of their immediate attack range.

utilt will beat all of DKs landing options except fully charged giant punch (time it so the second hit box overlaps with landing lag to beat out the air dodge option) dsmash does the same thing but for less damage I believe and it makes one of your best kill option weaker. vanish beats all of DKs landing options period if timed to over lap with landing lag.

utilt pokes through plats of BF and side plats on lylat (I think it's character specific or something though) full hop aerialscan be dangerous, utilt keeps you in an advantageous position in these situations.

utilt true combos into itself and grabs at lower percents (below twenty) I think.

random stuf I didn't see you doing.

Kisamealex3

Smash Journeyman
I would personally use ftilt more. Especially on characters like Wolf. There were numerous times where you let go of a free 20-30% or more because you tried to grab and throw him.

Ftilt is Wolf's #1 fear so, try to abuse it more.

I like how you get patient at certain times. For example, the first game (Wolf's second stock), you stood there and waited for him to drop his shield and punished with a downsmash (somewhere around 2:35 or so). Later that stock, you read his airdodges and punished with a bair and about 10 secs later read him and naired him for the stock lead.

That's all I can really say for now. Just make sure you use ftilt more (against Wolf). :)

sheikamaru

jive
and about the whole f-tilt thing... um.... kinda ashamed to say it but my wolf friend rages a lot about my sheik especially so i try not relying on one move too much referring to the f tilt lol i like mixing it up a bit :D

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
at ftilt that's cool. if you really wanna improve try and surround yourself with players that won't complain about those things too much, if one thing works why wouldn't you use it you know?

stil ftilt true combos into tons of things utilt jab grab aerials. learn what combos when. there are charts floating around the boards if you have the time, if not just test it in game. ftilt is one of sheik most important moves and not just because it combos into itself.

learn your jab cancel combos and the percents for that.

try and hit with the very tip of your moves especially aerials to avoid shield grabs.

walk more it very very powerful to have your whole moveset available.

fthrow and bthrow >>>>>>> dthrow and uthrow pretty much every time.

gotta go, but I'll try and get you on AIM or something if you want to sit down and talk.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Killik use jab more man! Mostly do what <3 said and work on spacing better and staying safer on your opponents shield.

and you live in Texas so you should be able to find really good players to play against to help you get better.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
lol you dashed right into it at the worst possible moment

Edit: Just some general things. You have some bad habits like you shield at inappropriate times also you have a rolling habit when you are charging needles. Saw it a couple times when DK ran at you, you always rolled forward. Use shield to cancel your charge and dash back or attack or do something before DK gets into the zone. React before the bad situation happens, although against DK its not too bad of a situation because his forward attack options are lacking.

When I say you shield at inappropriate times, your shield management in general is bad. You shield when you do not need to 1:37 is a great example. Your below DK on the platform, DK is also preemptively shielding, and you pull up shield? And you keep holding shield, giving DK enough time to drop his shield, platform drop and grab you. Remember you can jump out of shield, so you could have air attacked him at the very least. No reason to go on the defensive. Remember shielding is strong in this game, but it is also one of the options that limits your own. Smarter shielding next time.

Also avoid taking all hits of DK's upB. Anticipate the situation and avoid it by retaliating or creating more space, or by timing a forward roll so that his back hitboxes don't catch you. Remember DK can not move backwards if he does grounded upB.

Lastly, please do not double jump high off of the ledge like that, and expect to get on stage. @5:08 you double jump from the ledge and try to get off the stage. In that situation, you essentially eliminated all possible options of getting onto the stage, and as long as DK's timing is good, which it was, you could not have avoided damage no matter what you do. Sheik is a character that you have to be careful with your DJ, because you don't have good horizontal aerial movement or momentum canceling so using your DJ that quickly will get you screwed.

You're improving though, better than the last videos I saw. Transitions were smoother although you still really have to get buffering down and be able to move with Sheik at the fastest possible speeds. That comes with practice though and just playing, otherwise think about the mental aspects, zoning, and really try to think from the opponent's perspective. "What would I do, if I were the opponent going up against me?" Thinking about how to defeat yourself will help you find counters and ways to avoid the worst situations.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
utilt through the plats more. he can't really punish that.

becareful with nair. as you saw on sheild its kinda bad through plats fair and bair are way getter choices because of their range and sheild push and stuff.

damage yourself less with the stage.

Judo777

Smash Master
You need to take better control of snake when hes in the air. Unless he has super human reflexes he was pulling those nades early. Everytime snake pulls a nade its a free grab unless he can make it to a different plat then ur on. If by chance he pulls the nade and throws it just aerial him obv.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why ur using uthrow lol maybe to not detonate nades? bthrow does the same and its way better.

sheikamaru

jive
thanks a lot cross, i really do appreciate the critique and the shielding thing at 1:37 i was just expecting a dropped bair from him which kills. i'm normally an aggressive player early in the percentages then i tend to be more defensive when my dmg gets pretty high so i tend to shield more. and the whole buffering thing.. from what i understand it's just doing inputs during an action... which i know more about in ssf4 but i honestly don't know how to apply it in brawl :/

sheikamaru

jive
hey scary... did you cp him to norfair? if so personally i would have taken him to a flat stage that wasn't so big so you can keep track of where his bombs are.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
he prob banned FD cuz sheik ***** FD and we taught MVD that. I'm surprised you didn't just go Zelda and **** him.

sheikamaru

jive
he prob banned FD cuz sheik ***** FD and we taught MVD that. I'm surprised you didn't just go Zelda and **** him.
yea especially on that stage. just teleport away and spam dins fiya all day lol it'll make him think twice about cp that stage against sheik ever again haha :D

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
yea especially on that stage. just teleport away and spam dins fiya all day lol it'll make him think twice about cp that stage against sheik ever again haha :D
I deff cp'ed norfair. I'm so determined to learn that stage even though it was his favorite stage.

MVD has super human reflexes. It's wild. I always blow up with back throw lol. Don't know why but it definitely happens and makes me sad.

Next time I see him I'll try Zelda and laugh as the pummeling commences.

Judo777

Smash Master
I deff cp'ed norfair. I'm so determined to learn that stage even though it was his favorite stage.

MVD has super human reflexes. It's wild. I always blow up with back throw lol. Don't know why but it definitely happens and makes me sad.

Next time I see him I'll try Zelda and laugh as the pummeling commences.
bthrow normally always works so idk lol

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
no bthrow doesn't have a hit box so it shouldn't blow up anything. timer probablly ran out on the nade.

Judo777

Smash Master
Tourny set vs DS4 (Toon Link)

DS4 vs Mars (sheik)
match 1
match 2
match 3
I feel you spotdodge too much up close. TL doesn't have really good options up close and sheiks should be dominating him there. TL's jab is frame 6 so all ur tilts come out faster and ur jab by a whole lot. Don't be afraid to dominate up close. Solid set over all. Also I felt like in many cases u were finishing combos before they landed like ftilt dsmash, when i feel you can easily hit confirm those. Idk those are just some observations.

Word of advice btw. If you ever get hit that far off yoshis like that (there was no way u were coming back if he grabbed the ledge which he did early) just go for Randal (the ghost platform lol) it would have saved you once. lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea I have a couple terrible habits that I need to work on. Spotdodging too much, dsmashing too much, jumping too much.

Thanks for the advice Judo.

sheikamaru

jive
Tourny set vs DS4 (Toon Link)

DS4 vs Mars (sheik)
match 1
match 2
match 3
something i like to do is going for easy kills with sheik at anytime possible. for instance game one on sv there were at least 2 or 3 times an solid edge guard could come into play especially when tl recovered above the stage b4 going for the edge. just another option to look out for. and yea the spotdodging wasn't too much trouble either. you did a good job up close and facerolling him for good dmg though. try getting a few pummels in before throwing him too :D i think it's at early percents 1 pummel around 50ish 2 100 3-4 then toss away! legit set though, sorry about that second match ugh... i was wondering why it was so short too >.> gj overall :)

I feel you spotdodge too much up close. TL doesn't have really good options up close and sheiks should be dominating him there. TL's jab is frame 6 so all ur tilts come out faster and ur jab by a whole lot. Don't be afraid to dominate up close. Solid set over all. Also I felt like in many cases u were finishing combos before they landed like ftilt dsmash, when i feel you can easily hit confirm those. Idk those are just some observations.

Word of advice btw. If you ever get hit that far off yoshis like that (there was no way u were coming back if he grabbed the ledge which he did early) just go for Randal (the ghost platform lol) it would have saved you once. lol
we call that boy right thurr "jeffery" down here in these parts :l lol

sheikamaru

jive
eh you still won though so more props to ya homey! :D i almost got timed out by a ness and i accidentally took him to japes.. like he won the first match and i barely won the second and third match... like.. it was so ridiculous.. i hope to upload it sometime in the near future haha

Top Bottom