• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sheik can camp the s*** out of Yoshi so even if that's guaranteed I really wouldn't worry about it.

As for your Sheik. Don't rapid jab so much. I wouldn't ever recommend using fsmash ever. You seem to not understand how to play Sheik yet......which will come with practice. You can't just throw out hitboxes and pray that you're opponent will run into them. Sheiks more of a baiting and hit and run type of character which would greatly differ from your Olimar I am sure.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNTpo-2ftU
First match of 5 friendlies against that **** monkey, I'll upload later on the final round which was pleasant to me ;)
nice =], just a few pointers.
use diddy bananas as much as possible. sheik's dash attack isnt too bad so we can take advantage of that.
set up your f-tilts, throwing out f-tilts will usually result in your opponent just shielding out of it or just staying outside the range since f-tilts has short range.
sidestep less and use your speed to dodge instead. its better for spacing. Unless this was a wi-fi match then I understand the consequences of using sheik's speed

same with you mycatowns. nice sheik especially since you have just started. just cut down on your dash attacks unless those were missed DACUS and use sheik's speed more to space and fake out our opponent so they cant read you as much

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
nice =], just a few pointers.
use diddy bananas as much as possible. sheik's dash attack isnt too bad so we can take advantage of that.
set up your f-tilts, throwing out f-tilts will usually result in your opponent just shielding out of it or just staying outside the range since f-tilts has short range.
sidestep less and use your speed to dodge instead. its better for spacing. Unless this was a wi-fi match then I understand the consequences of using sheik's speed

same with you mycatowns. nice sheik especially since you have just started. just cut down on your dash attacks unless those were missed DACUS and use sheik's speed more to space and fake out our opponent so they cant read you as much
Hahah many of those F-Tilts failed, and it costed me a life you saw, I'll uplaod the rest later thought. =)

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
My last post was directed to you as well
o.o I ignorantly assumed that since you didn't quote me, you didn't critique me ^_^

Thanks, and yes just about every dash attack that game was a missed dacus :[ (First game of the morning right after I wake up :L)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
My cat, stop rolling! walk or run away even if you trip while running away it was way harder to punish than a roll.
stop double jumping towards your opponent it reduces your options so much espeacially agianst marth
don't dash attack as an approach.
If you can avoid it don't use your second jump off stage when you are in upB or chain recovery range.
Try not to predict so much with your attacks be patient and attack.
Also try and work on your reaction time marth left tons of oppenings you could have grabbed or tilted and you missed them because you took too long to react.
Don't dacus! It is crazy over rated and far from hard to punish. espeacially against players who've seen it before.
charge needles if nothing is happening
try and get the timing down for ftilt locks more concrete
don't dtilt to space!! ftilt is better in just about every way. dtilt can sheild poke a few characters, but not when their sheild is full.
Keep playing you'll only get better.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk. Thats the advice I'd give.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
thanks <3, I know I roll too much and I have trouble approching marth :L Don't really know any other way to approach except hit with needles or dashattack.

Also, "don't use dtilt to space"
Lol I can space marth?

thanks though :D

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah you can pressure him, his ground options are all really really slow despite their range so you can ftilt him a lot of the time before he can react with an attach or a short hopped aerial. You caught him in a lot of situations like that.
Dash attack is a good move over all, but it leaves you open on sheild dodge or complete whiff it is better used to punish his mistakes. wih marth you don't really have to approach. wait and watch; needles punish his aerials and stuff on reaction

ftilt has more range and less cool down than dtilt thats why you should use that when ever possible if you are trying to throw out a move to pressure sheilds/space. dtilt is good at stuffing a lot of areial approaches, espeacially from characters like marth, but you don't want to hit his sheild with it because you can be punished.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Take off the links to Villi's vids, he took the vids off of his youtube.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
New match of me- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-8wFdhSkA
I was playing with texture hacks and it made it to where I couldn't see if my Needle's where charged or not. :(
I was trying to learn a new way for me to space that blasted Yoshi! If I tried to fight him on the ground he would just DR back or something of that sort and punish me. In other words.. I would get 2 stocked like every time.....
So I tried to learn how to space him better. Works pretty well, I just need to work the kinks out.

Here is a match from 5 months ago- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68Z_R_oapk

Notice an improvement?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Pretty solid Saviors. you missed a few techs and got punished for it, you also had a few silly errors like random chain the opposite direction probably messing up a breverse or something. nicalobe's a good Yoshi. You need to jab more from what I can tell and work on reading your opponents a little better as Nicalobe just kept SH right into a grab or whatever Yoshis nuetral b is called. Good job though:)

saviorslegacy

Pretty solid Saviors. you missed a few techs and got punished for it, you also had a few silly errors like random chain the opposite direction probably messing up a breverse or something. nicalobe's a good Yoshi. You need to jab more from what I can tell and work on reading your opponents a little better as Nicalobe just kept SH right into a grab or whatever Yoshis nuetral b is called. Good job though:)
Yeah, the chain was an oops.

If you want me to tell you the truth I'm not a fan of jab. It only true combo's into grab and you can tell that Yoshi was cutting corners. I wasn't getting anything (or close to nothing) that wasn't a legit combo on him. Also, if I rapid jabed him he just DI's out really quick and grabs me.......
Rapid jabs are only good at the ledge and I forgot to use them in that match.

ps Here is the second vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4t9kT3Cd1M

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Jab is more of an interrupter than anything else. It also comes out on frame 2 and is one of the main reasons why Sheik has a frame advantage on most characters. True combos are also overrated on this forum imo as most players cant react to such a small frame window like that and you should be mixing it up anyways.

saviorslegacy

Jab is more of an interrupter than anything else. It also comes out on frame 2 and is one of the main reasons why Sheik has a frame advantage on most characters. True combos are also overrated on this forum imo as most players cant react to such a small frame window like that and you should be mixing it up anyways.
I sometimes do use jab, but Nick doesn't let anyhting not legit like that work. I will get Naired in the face.
Now on other people.. yeah, you might get away with it. I usually get away with u-tilt> Fair. Nick just use's his second jump and Nairs. -_-
I hate freakin Yoshi. Can't even Chain him. <,<

iLight

Smash Lord
idk if anyone said this, but you don't nair enough

and yeah jab is good, you can jab then buffer sheild and powershield the nair that you know is coming, then once you condition him to not use nair every time, you can do combos from jab =]

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Gotta learn that dacus man, that yoshi did so many empty short hops that if you land even one it would be a free 15% or 30% if spaced right and if you started hitting him with enough of them he would almost always be doing raising aerials then which is easy to counter once you know they are coming. Sure he might start mixing it up but once he enters kill range for the usmash he will if he's smart will start doing them more and thus limit his options at the most important part, the end game. In the 2nd video you seemed to used it though but not as a range attack but more of a mix up. Light right about the nair though, after usmash it's sheiks best killer mainly because of how good it is OoS and that it can be used safely on shields for the most part by doing full hop Nairs. Next time your hunting for kills try dashing towards someone and just as they enter it's range full hop Nair them, it works so well against def opponents. No ftilt into usmash or even attempts, if your not going to go for it even in non killing % then you should be spamming that dacus for free % and then kill with the nair, vanish or with FAT aka Zelda.

I notice you said the chain isn't useful against Yoshi, I disagree yoshi's mainly approach in the air and I'm fairly sure (although at this exact moment not 100% sure) the chain out ranges their grab so if you predict an approach retreat back and short hop into chain and he will literately jump into the ****. Worst comes to worst you get egged, best he tries to roll behind you which if all works out give you a nice reverse chain lock.

edit: I'm glad your sheik isn't bad ^_^

saviorslegacy

idk if anyone said this, but you don't nair enough

and yeah jab is good, you can jab then buffer sheild and powershield the nair that you know is coming, then once you condition him to not use nair every time, you can do combos from jab =]
Hmmm... that's the way I use f-tilt sometimes.

lol, I actually usually spam Nair. Now that I watched that vid I was thinking "I didn't end f-tilt lock with Nair once".
Other than that I have programmed my mind to Nair someone off stage. Well... going off stage against a Yoshi is a bad idea.....
Gotta learn that dacus man, that yoshi did so many empty short hops that if you land even one it would be a free 15% or 30% if spaced right and if you started hitting him with enough of them he would almost always be doing raising aerials then which is easy to counter once you know they are coming. Sure he might start mixing it up but once he enters kill range for the usmash he will if he's smart will start doing them more and thus limit his options at the most important part, the end game. In the 2nd video you seemed to used it though but not as a range attack but more of a mix up. Light right about the nair though, after usmash it's sheiks best killer mainly because of how good it is OoS and that it can be used safely on shields for the most part by doing full hop Nairs. Next time your hunting for kills try dashing towards someone and just as they enter it's range full hop Nair them, it works so well against def opponents. No ftilt into usmash or even attempts, if your not going to go for it even in non killing % then you should be spamming that dacus for free % and then kill with the nair, vanish or with FAT aka Zelda.

I notice you said the chain isn't useful against Yoshi, I disagree yoshi's mainly approach in the air and I'm fairly sure (although at this exact moment not 100% sure) the chain out ranges their grab so if you predict an approach retreat back and short hop into chain and he will literately jump into the ****. Worst comes to worst you get egged, best he tries to roll behind you which if all works out give you a nice reverse chain lock.

edit: I'm glad your sheik isn't bad ^_^
I do need to DACUS more that much is certain.

I'm still not used yo f-tilt> USmash. Right now I think my spacing game needs improved and once I have my spacing game like maxed out then I'll throw in all of the little Sheik trixies. Right now I don't think I space well enough to use them.

Meh... I need to train my Zelda more. Every time I pull her out I get punished.....

Chain= countered by that freakin egg
The chain against my freinds isn't as useful as a camp anymore. Once they learned that they cannot simply walk into it and hurt me they now DI out as quickly as possible and use a projectile. As far as the ledge... he just does a momentum swap Egg Throw.
Now one of the other dudes main Peach. I make sure to use Chain at the ledge against him (he also mains Jiggs so I make sure to chain her lol).

ps Thanks for all of the info guys!

:EDIT:
"I'm glad your Sheik isn't bad."
:( are you saying that you thought it was bad?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I think you have a great sheik
my only two things would be to dash attack less even if it means to stop attempting DACUS. dash attacks are so punishable but it was a friendly so I can understand, but if DACUS isnt coming out more than 80% of the time (random percentage FTW) it isnt worth attempting in a match

Also sheik's grab range is pretty horrid so I would avoid random grabs. instead jab cancel into grabs, ftilt into grabs or even shield grabs, since most of the time simply dash or stand grabs will result in punishment

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hmmm... that's the way I use f-tilt sometimes.

lol, I actually usually spam Nair. Now that I watched that vid I was thinking "I didn't end f-tilt lock with Nair once".
Other than that I have programmed my mind to Nair someone off stage. Well... going off stage against a Yoshi is a bad idea.....

I do need to DACUS more that much is certain.

I'm still not used yo f-tilt> USmash. Right now I think my spacing game needs improved and once I have my spacing game like maxed out then I'll throw in all of the little Sheik trixies. Right now I don't think I space well enough to use them.

Meh... I need to train my Zelda more. Every time I pull her out I get punished.....

Chain= countered by that freakin egg
The chain against my freinds isn't as useful as a camp anymore. Once they learned that they cannot simply walk into it and hurt me they now DI out as quickly as possible and use a projectile. As far as the ledge... he just does a momentum swap Egg Throw.
Now one of the other dudes main Peach. I make sure to use Chain at the ledge against him (he also mains Jiggs so I make sure to chain her lol).

ps Thanks for all of the info guys!

:EDIT:
"I'm glad your Sheik isn't bad."
:( are you saying that you thought it was bad?
Yes yoshi can beat the chain with a egg but the reward you may receive for him jumping into it if only for a few hits out weight the damage and positioning you will receive. If Yoshi could true combo egg into an attack things would be different but he can't.

and it's more like I just didn't know. I mean you don't go to tounys, you don't live in a very high level area and you even quit smash for a while. You could of easily be Mr. Scrub scrub but now seeing your sheik I at least know that's not the case. >_< I guess I just said yes but whatever the fact is I think better of your sheik.

saviorslegacy

I think you have a great sheik
my only two things would be to dash attack less even if it means to stop attempting DACUS. dash attacks are so punishable but it was a friendly so I can understand, but if DACUS isnt coming out more than 80% of the time (random percentage FTW) it isnt worth attempting in a match

Also sheik's grab range is pretty horrid so I would avoid random grabs. instead jab cancel into grabs, ftilt into grabs or even shield grabs, since most of the time simply dash or stand grabs will result in punishment
How many missed grabs did I have?
I shouldv'e used jab instead on Needle's on that one stock where he FSmashed me.
It was a KO set up that I was testing earlier.

Needle's up close (Needle pull)> f-tilt> USmash
You can even attempt f-tilt> Needle's (Needle pull)> f-tilt> USmash
^^^^^ it isn't legit but it is a KO set up out of an f-tilt lock. (Practically f-tilt lock them, use this and they lose a stock.)
Yes yoshi can beat the chain with a egg but the reward you may receive for him jumping into it if only for a few hits out weight the damage and positioning you will receive. If Yoshi could true combo egg into an attack things would be different but he can't.

and it's more like I just didn't know. I mean you don't go to tounys, you don't live in a very high level area and you even quit smash for a while. You could of easily be Mr. Scrub scrub but now seeing your sheik I at least know that's not the case. >_< I guess I just said yes but whatever the fact is I think better of your sheik.
He doesn't jump into it anymore....
I pull out chain and every waves a flag retreating to hit me with a projectile.
If he is in close enough to get hit by chain then it is not smart to use a 20 frame attack.

Chain agaist Yoshi is a badddd idea. I have been punished way to much for it and there is honestly no way around it.

We actually have 2 pretty good people in my area. We also have a Wolf main but he is about average. He still doesn't Bair that much.

:(:(:(:(:(:( Mr. Scrub Scrub... :(:(:(:(:(:(

codeman0624

Smash Rookie
So since I posted a video of some of my better moments, I should also post some videos of some of my failures! These are some matches against someone who's better than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZBdsCLsbV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DP5X4gKiBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_976t92BJF4

I somewhat redeem myself in the last one, but I still don't play spectacularly. Some of the things I know I need to work on are being more patient and not using rolling as an approach, it's a bad habit!

What else does everyone see that I should focus on so I can improve?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Yeah, the chain was an oops.

If you want me to tell you the truth I'm not a fan of jab. It only true combo's into grab and you can tell that Yoshi was cutting corners. I wasn't getting anything (or close to nothing) that wasn't a legit combo on him. Also, if I rapid jabed him he just DI's out really quick and grabs me.......
Rapid jabs are only good at the ledge and I forgot to use them in that match.

ps Here is the second vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4t9kT3Cd1M
Yoshi is too floaty to really do any ligit combos on him (same with Luigi).

I noticed on the beginning of your last stock, you were trying desperately to get that up smash kill and you got punished quite a bit for it. A good player will see this coming and will punish you, so don't go spamming the kill moves (unless you are Snake. Then every move is a kill move). Just play patiently and safely, and the opportunity to take the stock off will come.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
So since I posted a video of some of my better moments, I should also post some videos of some of my failures! These are some matches against someone who's better than I am.

I somewhat redeem myself in the last one, but I still don't play spectacularly. Some of the things I know I need to work on are being more patient and not using rolling as an approach, it's a bad habit!

I only watched the first and third vids.

First vid: Where is Sheik's speed? I see you standing and walking around a lot, but hardly any running or jumping. Don't challenge Kirby's bair, you're not going to win most of the time. Also, I noticed that there were a ton of things you could have punished Kirby for, but you didn't. For example, Kirby was rapid jabbing the opposite way and you just stood there. For your second stock, you should have been able to struggle out of the kirbicide because you had only 4% when he did it. One more thing, you could have attacked Kirby off the ledge while he was trying to recover, but you didn't. If your aerials don't gimp him, it's free damage for you ;).

Third vid: More standing and walking. I see you trying to walk up to toon link for a ftilt which isn't very safe (only Snake can do that). Use your speed to punish mistakes. Actually, I see you letting opportunities pass by where you could have punished but didn't. Such as when toon link up Bed onto the stage while you were on the ledge. You could have easily dropped down > double jumped > aerial, but instead you just hung there.

iLight

Smash Lord
Yoshi is too floaty to really do any ligit combos on him (same with Luigi).
not true necessarily, i know that jab->f-tilt->nair works on luigi/yoshi at certain percents

and even still like i've said so many times before, you can always bait them into throwing out their "fast" aerial and just buffer a powershield out of jab or something

Tristan_win

Not dead.
How many missed grabs did I have?
I shouldv'e used jab instead on Needle's on that one stock where he FSmashed me.
It was a KO set up that I was testing earlier.

Needle's up close (Needle pull)> f-tilt> USmash
You can even attempt f-tilt> Needle's (Needle pull)> f-tilt> USmash
^^^^^ it isn't legit but it is a KO set up out of an f-tilt lock. (Practically f-tilt lock them, use this and they lose a stock.)

He doesn't jump into it anymore....
I pull out chain and every waves a flag retreating to hit me with a projectile.
If he is in close enough to get hit by chain then it is not smart to use a 20 frame attack.

Chain agaist Yoshi is a badddd idea. I have been punished way to much for it and there is honestly no way around it.

We actually have 2 pretty good people in my area. We also have a Wolf main but he is about average. He still doesn't Bair that much.

:(:(:(:(:(:( Mr. Scrub Scrub... :(:(:(:(:(:(
Don't take that to heart dude, everyone got to prove themselves. I mean between the two of us we most likely know more then pretty much every other sheik user but even so it doesn't mean we are on "Neo Level" by default.

Wisdom is only 1/3 of the triforce after all.

codeman0624

Smash Rookie
I only watched the first and third vids.

First vid: Where is Sheik's speed? I see you standing and walking around a lot, but hardly any running or jumping. Don't challenge Kirby's bair, you're not going to win most of the time. Also, I noticed that there were a ton of things you could have punished Kirby for, but you didn't. For example, Kirby was rapid jabbing the opposite way and you just stood there. For your second stock, you should have been able to struggle out of the kirbicide because you had only 4% when he did it. One more thing, you could have attacked Kirby off the ledge while he was trying to recover, but you didn't. If your aerials don't gimp him, it's free damage for you ;).

Third vid: More standing and walking. I see you trying to walk up to toon link for a ftilt which isn't very safe (only Snake can do that). Use your speed to punish mistakes. Actually, I see you letting opportunities pass by where you could have punished but didn't. Such as when toon link up Bed onto the stage while you were on the ledge. You could have easily dropped down > double jumped > aerial, but instead you just hung there.
Gimp a Kirby? I was under the impression that he had the advantage when off the stage by far. I'm usually pretty aggressive off stage, but I consciously back off on Kirby.

Well here's one where I move a little faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbKb_qRKtg

My mindset just changes wildly between matches. In those three I was really trying to work on being patient and observing. I need to learn when to be patient and when to move more quickly. I have a hard time switching, so when someone catches on to my constant quick pressure, I get punished badly because I don't know to back off!

So use her speed to punish more effectively while not being dumb and rushing into attacks, got it. Thanks!

iLight

Smash Lord
its not so bad gimping kirby, especially if your playing fast, they have a lot of trouble because granted, they have the advantage off stage, but they have to conserve jumps to actually recover. This can give you an advantage in controlling the situation, thus leading to gimping them. You just have to bait them into doing something laggy then punishing at the appropriate moment afterwards, as long as you are confident with what you are doing off stage and watch out for the big start ups/set ups aka him setting you up to get spiked or hit you with his sideB hammers then its really not so hard to hit him consecutively off stage, then giving you the opportunity to punish him as he's forced to land on stage or you take the ledge killing him.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Saviors you just need to stop making superfluous movements -_-; You keep dashing back and forth or doing cute little empty short hops that aren't even in his range. What's the big deal? Sometimes you're not charging needles during those movements either. Yoshi can and will camp you (BF probably made it difficult for him to do so, he camped my *** off on FD and I was in no mood to play camp so I got ***** for bad approaches, lol). Furthermore you got up from the ledge the same way every time. You would do a quick drop off ledge jump and either airdodge or come down w/ an attack...every single time. Similarly when you were attacking you seemed to only very occasionally press the advantage. This is a huge problem, and one of the reasons why I feel a lot of Sheiks are having trouble vs. Snake - they're not going after him.

You have a lot of solid stuff down w/ Sheik esp. move usage, and sorry if I'm a little harsh, but you also have a LOT work to do in regards with pressing the advantage. Stop running away after you put Yoshi in the air or on the ledge. In the air, even though Yoshi has good air mobility, yours is pretty much equal. Yoshi on the edge is also pretty bad. If you stand on the inside edge of the right platform on BF and you powershield his eggs he's at an instant disadvantage...little yet important things like that.

saviorslegacy

I only watched the first match.
YOu weren't spacing him well enough. Needs more Bair and more Needle's.
Try and keep a gap between you and the foe. Make them feel like they need to enter that gap to fight you. When they do f-tilt/grab them (be careful for traps).

Also, Bair against Kirby in the air is a good idea. Just watch out for Kirbycide's......
Don't take that to heart dude, everyone got to prove themselves. I mean between the two of us we most likely know more then pretty much every other sheik user but even so it doesn't mean we are on "Neo Level" by default.

Wisdom is only 1/3 of the triforce after all.
I was joking. lol

Right now I am just trying to apply that stuff and develop good habits. I have almost broke most of my bad habits. I just need to work on develop a more advance game so that I don't have to think, I just have to act.

The Triforce of Style is just showing off fancy tricks on n00bs. So we should focus on the original 3.

@Clowsui
Those Short hops came with Needle's. I am trying to make Needle Boosting a big part of my spacing game.
When I didn't charge Needle's I was.. I dunno. I didn't notice me not charging Needle's.
He never gets a good camp on me, even at FD. The only time I have ever had trouble was at Delfino where he had a protective wall.
Needle's= anti camp tool (charge until yah got all of em then close in with a full load about 1/3 of FD worth of space away from him, then Needle).
Bair= her best approach
I have more tricks for ledge game that I didn't use. The theme of that match was spacing and that was the only thing I had my mind on. You learn how to space like a God then add everything else.

I have a lot more to do then that. It will take me over a year to out everything that I know now into my game. Then I have to master it all.
At the rate I am going though, I should have everything in my game by next summer. I mean, I just started spacing this April! Before I just walked up and f-tilted.

It's okay man. The more I hear from people and read the more idea's I get. Now that I think of the frame advantage jab> grab sounds really good to me.

saviorslegacy

Is there any user here who is willing to upload replays sent to them btw?
I will be willing.
I only ask that you don't swarm me with replays.

Wii code= 0199 5862 0429 4744
SSBB code= 3308 4258 0111
My tag is Rune.

Send them to me and I'll try and get them uploaded soon. I don't make any promise's on when though.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
thanks dude =]
Wii Number: 0927 5569 8849 3768
Brawl Friend Code: 3566 2992 2972

feel free to take you time, ill add you later on

Top Bottom