• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Bose

Den lengste kølla
3DS FC
5086-2001-6359
Says the guy that wants to replace everything with F-smash.

Anyways, I started using dash grab to replace dash attack for ground approaches. I connect retardedly many grabs now, even on quite skilled players.

Spife

Smash Master
I'm only advocating for fsmash cause of the **** advice I got. Oh really? I'm suppose to practice? WHAT GREAT ADVICE! Talk about time waste.
I'm looking for useful anecdotes or anyones means of practicing to overcome the highlighted problems. "Practice" is the Mario of advice, except that's giving it to much credit because Mario isn't garbage. More like the Pichu. Useless posting begets useless posting, etc.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
I'm only advocating for fsmash cause of the **** advice I got. Oh really? I'm suppose to practice? WHAT GREAT ADVICE! Talk about time waste.
I'm looking for useful anecdotes or anyones means of practicing to overcome the highlighted problems. "Practice" is the Mario of advice, except that's giving it to much credit because Mario isn't garbage. More like the Pichu. Useless posting begets useless posting, etc.

most advice you'll get is practice from anyone when it comes to what you asked.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Well you don't get better by not playing the game, you know. If you re-read my answer, I actually gave you a helpful advice by holding the stick to the side while you're already doing an animation. As example I hold forward during the last bit of my aerial animation while I L-cancel if I intend to do a Ftilt after I land the aerial.
If you're not happy with the help we give you, even though we try our best, please stop asking for help.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
no lie today time i played today i fsmashed

i think the troll has shown me the light of how much true potential it ****ing has

i mean its not like even when they SH infront of me they manage to COMPLETELY di it but man that initial hit dmg doe.

Spife

Smash Master
fsmash way to strong, full charge it and it becomes wtfbroken.

where should I/shouldn't I take ganon?

I'm thinking dl is a def shouldnt, bf/fod/yoshi's/pokemon are all shoulds. **** fd.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Well, everyone is being dumb.

Actual advice:

Working in a mixup is a good thing to do, and a super common problem. Good news is you've identified the mixup you should be putting in, however you're not acknowledging that you need to work in the mixup, until after you already put in the habitual dash attack.

If you just practice more, I'm sure over time you'll condition yourself to implement the mixup, but that is probably the worst way to do it. I would recommend that next time you're playing somebody good, think about the possible areas where they would shield when they're a decent distance away from you. Take note of when those openings arise. Try to focus on punishing that. Every time you land a dash attack on shield, remember what move you just did to put them in that situation. For example, if you dthrow a spacie and they tech away, making you dash attack, but you do it too slowly. . . remember that you should grab after a tech away.

An easier way that sometimes works is take a break from playing for a few weeks, and don't practice. When you start practicing again, make it a habit to mix up DA and grab. Hopefully you'll drop the habit of always doing a DA.

If you don't want to Fsmash, only TILT the joystick. Similar to slight DI, or shining to not go under the plat.

You probably don't WD back tilt because in the situations where you would use that, you have a habit already developed. Do the same as above.

Spife

Smash Master
Well, everyone is being dumb.

Actual advice:

Working in a mixup is a good thing to do, and a super common problem. Good news is you've identified the mixup you should be putting in, however you're not acknowledging that you need to work in the mixup, until after you already put in the habitual dash attack.

If you just practice more, I'm sure over time you'll condition yourself to implement the mixup, but that is probably the worst way to do it. I would recommend that next time you're playing somebody good, think about the possible areas where they would shield when they're a decent distance away from you. Take note of when those openings arise. Try to focus on punishing that. Every time you land a dash attack on shield, remember what move you just did to put them in that situation. For example, if you dthrow a spacie and they tech away, making you dash attack, but you do it too slowly. . . remember that you should grab after a tech away.

An easier way that sometimes works is take a break from playing for a few weeks, and don't practice. When you start practicing again, make it a habit to mix up DA and grab. Hopefully you'll drop the habit of always doing a DA.

If you don't want to Fsmash, only TILT the joystick. Similar to slight DI, or shining to not go under the plat.

You probably don't WD back tilt because in the situations where you would use that, you have a habit already developed. Do the same as above.

I will for ever stop talking about fsmash, but only because of purpleletuce.
Also I get the fsmash/ftilt input thing, it's more like my brain says "ftilt!" faster than my fingers can react to do it properly so I smash? I don't know I don't do it a lot, it just happens some times.

Thanks for the response after 5-6 posts of advocation, though.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I work often, and I didn't have time to see you asking for help until after everyone else did. Sometimes I end up responding to things really late. . .

It might be a thing where you're rushing yourself to much. In some situations, I guess you have to rush, but make sure you give yourself time for the input. Trust your move choice is giving you enough of an opening, and don't try to force yourself to do it too quickly. If you're trying to ftilt in too small of a gap for you to make the input, you'll have to take that loss. I have similar problems, especially with things like ledgehop aerials. Sometimes I'll come to short and die, because I knew I didn't have enough time and shorted myself.

Is there any particular situation where you're always missing the ftilt?

(Afterthought: you might also be putting it in while you're still in lag, and maybe the buffer period smashes have in affecting things? Not sure at all, but it is possible. . .)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Forward smash. I leave for a few months and you guys are now talking about how to use forward smash. And rip-posting about advice quality?

...I see.

Well, thank you Purpletuce.

Hello, Toph ^_^

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's good but not as good with her as it is with some of the other good characters. Part because when you think about it, dash limits your actions to conventionally aggressive ones or ones that facilitate offense. As for dash itself... I mean, dash is a really dynamic motion that accelerates quicker and keeps actions open the whole time so it's good for aggressively challenging the opponent's space.

But Sheik's not really the "aggressive space challenging" type. Well, not most of the time, anyway.

Man, I'm gonna wind up making a PP post if I keep going because Sheik's dash dance and how it interacts with her other forms of movement is really cool IMO because dash dance is sort of like a cog rather than a main lead in but blargh.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
A cog? Like a way to interact two of her other forms of movement? Like being reset to neutral then using it to move into a SH in or a WD back kind of thing?

Using a DD but not to aggressively take control? I could see it being particularly useful to pick up little bits of stage if your opponent ends up not covering it well enough. Maybe if you're pushed at a ledge, and want to maintain defenses but be able to capitalize on insecurities of the opponent?

I know I could watch how you DD with Shiek in matches, but I like the idea of trying to think through it, like a guess-and-check method of learning.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
That would be awesome actually. I use Facebook and Skype, but I work soon, so I might request to discuss this afternoon, around 6? (I believe we're in the same time zone), which method do you usually use to IM?

soap

Smash Hero
I have been opting for her dash as of late because of how quick it turns into a run you can dash cancel into almost anything, or simply have your crouch cancel ability readily available

The dash dance is for fakes and baits

But I think all her movement tricks are useful

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hi KK!

I want to talk/ask about the differences between fighting Fox and Falcon. Falcon in the neutral game feels easier than Fox. I speculate that this is because Sheik generally beats Falcon with moves (i.e. tilt, fair) and crouch, whereas Sheik needs to beat Fox using movement (i.e. DD/WD back grabs). Does this make sense to anyone or am I off base?

soap

Smash Hero
Hi KK!

I want to talk/ask about the differences between fighting Fox and Falcon. Falcon in the neutral game feels easier than Fox. I speculate that this is because Sheik generally beats Falcon with moves (i.e. tilt, fair) and crouch, whereas Sheik needs to beat Fox using movement (i.e. DD/WD back grabs). Does this make sense to anyone or am I off base?

in general this is the same for me

sometimes falcon's that space nair really well make it hard for me to simply jump back and come down with fair, and they stay far away enough from the ftilt

fox is a squishy little guy and I can always outrange him I feel

If they play fast and evasive, fox and falcon are about the same to me I'd say

V

Smash Ace
KirbyKaze I saw on the Puff social thread that you feel Sheik has the easiest time vs Falco's lasers. Would you mind elaborating how for me? I really want to get better at this match up with Sheik because right now I'm doing equally poorly with her and Marth and I feel sometimes Sheik has it easier than Marth.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
If someone had the time they could go through and pull all of KK's good posts and the Sheik matchup thread would be completed. Resulting in less of the same questions often.

But, V, watch his sets vs PP, Wes, and shiz to get some ideas. Powershield, crouch under high ones, short hop over low ones, using platforms and wavedash out of shield are all great to work on to start.

Don't forget that falco is vulnerable right before his laser comes out. You can get close enough to be able to punish him for trying to laser.

V

Smash Ace
If someone had the time they could go through and pull all of KK's good posts and the Sheik matchup thread would be completed. Resulting in less of the same questions often.

That sounds like a great idea. Every character board should have an updated match up thread for the current metagame. That would definitely cut back on repeated questions.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
You do have a good question. I just specifically remember KK answering it many times in the past already ha.

The problem is the time required to do the task. But, Sheik is definitely in need of an up to date matchup thread.

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
KK, could I add you on skype as well?

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to make a Sheik skype group actually, so that we can discuss her, ask questions, etc for convenience.

Top Bottom