• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
You don't need to and probably shouldn't strictly use boost grabs.

They're good sometimes with tech chasing, and if your opponent is dash dancing against you, you could use it to catch them as they run away from you sometimes.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Sorry to DP but I need to get your attention ;x
Is utilt a viable option for punishing spot dodges?
If so what % does it beat ASDI against fox/falco?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The second hit is too weak for that sort of thing, in my experience. A better counter to space animal sidestep is to just mix "wait" in with your pressure more and to space outside of their immediate attack range (for Falco that's f-smash, for Fox if they know about d-tilt then you have to respect it if not then probably shine or up smash).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
So like for example instead of immediately dash grabbing, dash dance for a split second then grab after the spot dodge ends?
I assume running up and shielding isn't safe?

Van.

Smash Ace
kirbykaze, do you by any chance have any "drills" or other such tips for practicing the harder CG's, such as the latter half of the ganon CG and the pika CG?
lvl 4s don't seem to vary their DI quite enough.

L__

Smash Master
if you go into training mode and set the cpu to evade it mixes up their di a noticable amount

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
kirbykaze, do you by any chance have any "drills" or other such tips for practicing the harder CG's, such as the latter half of the ganon CG and the pika CG?
lvl 4s don't seem to vary their DI quite enough.
I'm actually notoriously bad at the latter half of the CG because I usually just switch to an air combo because... that's what I do. Maybe try a level 9 though. If I recall they attack out of... everything. So that might be a good check. Not sure.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
neutral game vs doc? what to avoid / expect of his approaches?
just avoid the pills. fresh they do like 8% so don't do jump charge needles cuz u could easily eat several at once. don't approach, the pills are slow enough for you to outcamp him.

nair and wavdash to bair are common appraoches. You can usually just shield and then grab the nair. Watch out for crossups.

if they try to MK walk and just use ftilt then needle them or shield it and wavedash oos to grab.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
why doesnt m2k go shiek against armada
M2K told me that it depends on the stage
he also feels that armada is very strong vs sheik

I have a question against Fox. What are some ways to get him off me? He pressures me so hard x.x

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
m2k vs javi made me feel like my sheik is really bad again. Instead of D-smashing on the edge after the tilt, he d-tilt-->jab, fast fall fair for the kill. WHO THINKS OF THAT.

But. I am not m2k. So I am not too upset. Need to get these creative juices going. Need more innovative sheik vids.

KK you vs Hbox was very helpful. Danke. Bair

Szadek

Smash Rookie
Is there anyone who is able to help me vs. Falco on PAL?
This ****ing combos and when i´m offstage he edgehoges me or i get bairs till i die..

Kaffei

Smash Hero
CC d-smash, nair OOS, WD OOS --> counterattack
Nair can be cced, but dair cant, right? so should I just SDI out of dair and grab?
also what kind of counter attacks are good? iirc dash attack is great after 25%ish but are there any other things?

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
Fox can crouch 'till more than 25%.
Needle, grabs, utilt to grab are good option against spacies
Depending on the situation, tilts or grab can be effective as counterattack.

Szadek :
Work on your DI : with a good DI, Falco won't combo that hard on Sheik.
At first my DIs were crappy, and Falco goes for ~60% combo.
Then I work on my DI, so now it's much more like 20% or 40% depending on the player.
Also, when I play Falco, against crappy sheik i can go for 40 or 60% even if my Falco is bad :/ but against a good Sheik player (Darko) I always end with just 2-hit combo and he escape (and kill me btw)
DI are very important in this matchup.
Falco's bair is very easy to DI.

It's pretty hard for Falco to combo Sheik without platforms. If you're not scared of lasers, you could go FD. (To avoid laser, Shorthop to waveland, WD OoS, Crouch are good options)

Also, if you have video/more precise problem, people help you a little more. :)

gm jack

Smash Lord
Falco still combos sheik pretty damn well, provided they know how to use utilt once shine hits sheik too far to combo well. However, sheik has the tech chases, gimps and combos to keep up once you get used to not being controlled by lasers.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Fox can crouch 'till more than 25%.
I already know that, that's just the percent that ftilt knocks over fox
When foxes are moving fast they aren't always true ccing either
i think ftilt beats ASDI down at 25% too? but i dunno. KK should know

Szadek

Smash Rookie
thx i gonna work on my di.
Lasers suck but powershielding is on my to-learn-list anyway (:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Brief powershielding question: Does crouching help Sheik's powershielding (i.e. powershielding of Falco's lasers) enough that I should always try to crouch before I powershield?

Luma

Smash Lord
it does help, but i only use it if the falco is quite far away to make it easier
otherwise i'll just rush into him and get a powershield anyway

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@ Kaffei

tbh it's really easy to nair OOS on dair-shine pressure. So if Fox is doing a lot of dairs I sometimes just block more and nair OOS rather than try to do SDI stuff. You can also just do aerials aimed at his head because he doesn't protect himself as well as he does with nair because of lower range.

24-25% is the magic number for f-tilt. Beats anything but true CC at that point onwards.

A good start to the defensive spacing strategies vs Fox is to stay just outside his SH nair range and space SH fairs preemptively. This protects you from a far approach. From there, you pay attention to how he goes about moving into a closer range or maneuvering around you and then counter accordingly. As soon as you figure out how he's trying to close the distance, you can just counter with an appropriate Sheik thing. Running under him when he's doing FJ approaches or awkward high approaches is really underutilized because he will try to manipulate the circumstances to prevent f-tilt and other crap like that from being a good option (either by initiative or other shenaniganry).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
@ Kaffei

tbh it's really easy to nair OOS on dair-shine pressure. So if Fox is doing a lot of dairs I sometimes just block more and nair OOS rather than try to do SDI stuff. You can also just do aerials aimed at his head because he doesn't protect himself as well as he does with nair because of lower range.

24-25% is the magic number for f-tilt. Beats anything but true CC at that point onwards.

A good start to the defensive spacing strategies vs Fox is to stay just outside his SH nair range and space SH fairs preemptively. This protects you from a far approach. From there, you pay attention to how he goes about moving into a closer range or maneuvering around you and then counter accordingly. As soon as you figure out how he's trying to close the distance, you can just counter with an appropriate Sheik thing. Running under him when he's doing FJ approaches or awkward high approaches is really underutilized because he will try to manipulate the circumstances to prevent f-tilt and other crap like that from being a good option (either by initiative or other shenaniganry).
Is there a difference between nair-shine and dair-shine pressure?
Running under FJ approaches.. Interesting, I'll be sure to give that a try. Thanks!

Top Bottom