• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly that was just Capcom's dark age, something they're probably still trying to recover from. The Darkstalkers series may be in the grave now but it's far from forgotten, Teppen has lots of good art for the characters, including ones showing Morrigan doing what a succubus is actually supposed to do! I think they're just waiting for the right opportunity where they can take another gamble with the series without putting themselves in jeopardy. If Samurai Shodown can come back a rightfully deserved bomb then Darkstalkers has a good chance, too.

Right now we're getting the Devil May Cry games on the Switch, which is another series that's formerly been kept off Nintendo consoles, and Monster Hunter World (Iceborne) will likely keep them stable for a long while yet.
Also, my final two cents on this point. We just got Terry, the face of SNK's company, who represents Fatal Fury, a series that hasn't had a game in the last 20 years (and until further notice, still won't seeing as Garou: Mark of the Wolves isn't bound to have a proper sequel). And while he makes regular appearances in King of Fighters (AKA Smash Bros before Smash was a thing), he sure as hell isn't the main character of that, this role goes to Kyo Kusanagi. (And Ash Crimson for a time, but we don't talk about that.)

Besides, in modern times SNK flew under the radar of mainstream audiences until Terry's reveal. Like Morrigan, Terry still makes occasional appearances, with or without a supporting cast, since fans like the character regardless of the source series' status.

I don't see what's wrong with that. That's practically a Smash tradition.
I knew something was off when we didn't get a new one for the base roster. Closest thing is the local oddball, but even then his series is far from obscure. :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
For the talk of iconic, i think, in the indie scene, Shantae is the most iconic western indie character, while Reimu is the most iconic japanese one. I feel that they both represent Indie developers as a whole, and how they are important to gaming as a whole. You cant just look at these people and think they arent much. With Sans as a mii costume and getting his own music, and Shovel knigjt as an assist trophy, nintendo is showing just how important indie creators are. Adding an indie fighter is the next step, and i see either Reimu or Shantae being that fighter.

That's exactly why I emphasize Marina Liteyears by her full name; saying only her first name will inevitably cause people to assume it's the Splatoon character.

View attachment 237107
Someone please tell her that babies aren't supposed to be shaken before she does the thing.
No shaking the baby!!

Also not sure of anyone saw this

Seems like they got double dragon in the game, and the game grumps voice them!

Has anyone found any wayforward secrets in the game, and have screenshots? I sadly cant play till the physical version at the end of the month

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No shaking the baby!!

Has anyone found any wayforward secrets in the game, and have screenshots? I sadly cant play till the physical version at the end of the month
Nobody's said anything yet, although the TV Tropes article has some spoiler stuff added: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/RiverCityGirls

And there's characters from The Combatribes in the game. That's...unexpected.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe if she had her ninja outfit. But idk if they'd go through the trouble of giving her all her skins, maybe one or two.
Well, WayForward draw art of a bunch of different alts for her during their Smash Ballot campaign.

No list, but I'll leave this.

My God Goemon being in as a fighter with Yae in as a Echo? I would be in heaven. :awesome:

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hold on, I haven't shown my Shantae support? Sign me up!
We've gone from assist trophy to Mii Fighter costume. A full indie fighter is literally within reach, and who better to fill that slot but Shantae?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For the talk of iconic, i think, in the indie scene, Shantae is the most iconic western indie character, while Reimu is the most iconic japanese one. I feel that they both represent Indie developers as a whole, and how they are important to gaming as a whole. You cant just look at these people and think they arent much. With Sans as a mii costume and getting his own music, and Shovel knigjt as an assist trophy, nintendo is showing just how important indie creators are. Adding an indie fighter is the next step, and i see either Reimu or Shantae being that fighter.

No shaking the baby!!

I was actually wondering when the physical version would come out. I think i'll wait for that one too.
I didn't see much attention about the game here, but maybe a fan will play it on youtube. Else we'll just have to wait to see :p

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I was actually wondering when the physical version would come out. I think i'll wait for that one too.
I didn't see much attention about the game here, but maybe a fan will play it on youtube. Else we'll just have to wait to see :p
The indie release is being handled by Limited run games. preorders were last week so I'm not sure if they are still live for the standard edition. Tho with Limited Run, sometimes their games get sold at Best Buy later if you are in the states.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The indie release is being handled by Limited run games. preorders were last week so I'm not sure if they are still live for the standard edition. Tho with Limited Run, sometimes their games get sold at Best Buy later if you are in the states.
"PREORDERS CLOSE ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27TH"

So we good, though I would guess it doesn't matter where I get it. I dunno how the shipping costs are tho.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, this recent SG poll was brought to my attention on the Terry thread, and as usual the half-genie's on it.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/

The other regulars really got the short end of the stick in this one though, so this is not for the faint of heart.

"PREORDERS CLOSE ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27TH"

So we good, though I would guess it doesn't matter where I get it. I dunno how the shipping costs are tho.
If I'm lucky, the Game Over store we got in another city should carry that limited edition by the time I come back there.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, this recent SG poll was brought to my attention on the Terry thread, and as usual the half-genie's on it.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/

The other regulars really got the short end of the stick in this one though, so this is not for the faint of heart.

If I'm lucky, the Game Over store we got in another city should carry that limited edition by the time I come back there.
Number three is you removes Banjo in the #1 spot. Only behind Sora and Bandanna Dee, both of which I would say are far less likely than Shantae. Not bad.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Oh man, all those polls. Get rekt, Geno. Sorry lol No ill will towards Geno, I just personally feel he's weirdly overhyped and a total boomer pick. Gives me a little satisfaction to see Shantae beating him in all of them.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Oh man, all those polls. Get rekt, Geno. Sorry lol No ill will towards Geno, I just personally feel he's weirdly overhyped and a total boomer pick. Gives me a little satisfaction to see Shantae beating him in all of them.
Geno beats her in a few of them, and in the one I linked he's 1 spot below her.

Also, rude. I'm not a boomer :(

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Sorry lol After rereading my post, it's pretty douchey.
Don't be too hard on yourself, we've had far more abrasive people enter this forum before and are bound to see much worse in the future. ;)

That said. i can agree with your statement to a degree. I do think Geno is over hyped a bit, only when people go on about how he HAS to be in or how he deserves it. People often forget how insignificant Geno really is to video games or Nintendo as a whole. He was a supporting character in one game.

That said, he was a REALLY cool character in one AMAZING game. If he gets in I will be very happy and won't for a minute say it was undeserving, it's just important to remember that he isn't OWED anything. Leaving him out is not an insult or an injustice, just an unfortunate occurrence.

I want him in, but him not getting in isn't Like leaving out Mario. Heck leaving him out isn't even as unfair as leaving out Dixie (Sakurai may have said he likes Geno, but DIxie was actually going to be in Brawl before getting cut)

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Don't be too hard on yourself, we've had far more abrasive people enter this forum before and are bound to see much worse in the future. ;)

That said. i can agree with your statement to a degree. I do think Geno is over hyped a bit, only when people go on about how he HAS to be in or how he deserves it. People often forget how insignificant Geno really is to video games or Nintendo as a whole. He was a supporting character in one game.

That said, he was a REALLY cool character is an AMAZING game. If he gets in I will be very happy and won't for a minute say it was undeserving, it's just important to remember that he isn't OWED anything. Leaving him out is not an insult or an injustice, just an unfortunate occurrence.

I want him in, but him not getting in isn't Like leaving out Mario. Heck leaving him out isn't even as unfair as leaving out Dixie (Sakurai may have said he likes Geno, but DIxie was actually going to be in Brawl before getting cut)
Haha, thanks. And I think you summed up my feelings pretty well, actually. Even down to the Dixie part (I think she's pretty neat).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Haha, thanks. And I think you summed up my feelings pretty well, actually. Even down to the Dixie part (I think she's pretty neat).
Dixie is my number 2 want right after Shantae (it's almost neck and neck if we are being honest) And if they were both in the game I honestly think I couldn't ask for anything else.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't forget that we got another Seven Sirens opening happening after a anime movie coming on sept 17 and 19

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
As far as seven sirens goes I honestly just want to see how transformations will work since the game having a dance button implies that they'll be present in some way.Especially if the monkey's still in since the newt kinda stole all of the monkey's abilities from the other games and it'd be weird for either the monkey or elephant to be absent.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
As far as seven sirens goes I honestly just want to see how transformations will work since the game having a dance button implies that they'll be present in some way.Especially if the monkey's still in since the newt kinda stole all of the monkey's abilities from the other games and it'd be weird for either the monkey or elephant to be absent.
I still think that magic would be fairly restricted if the Seven Sirens have that amount of power over the island it takes place in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, :ultbanjokazooie: can be considered a boomer pick, since they got demand for longer.

I prefer being respectful of people's choices, even if my social skills aren't that good.

Edit: Update! In River City Girls, it seems that you can unlock a secret boss if you break all the Sabu statues.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Also, :ultbanjokazooie: can be considered a boomer pick, since they got demand for longer.

I prefer being respectful of people's choices, even if my social skills aren't that good.

Edit: Update! In River City Girls, it seems that you can unlock a secret boss if you break all the Sabu statues.
I never understood why people are calling some of the older characters "boomer" picks. I mean any video games that a Baby Boomer would be nostalgic for goes much further back than most of the characters in Smash. I mean any baby boomer who is a fan of Fatal Fury was already in their 30's when that arcade scene started showing up.

As far as I see it the only characters right now who can even remotely be called "Boomer picks" are Pacman, Game and Watch. Donkey Kong and Mario. And they all came out in 80-81 so you youngest Baby Boomers would have been 16/17 by then.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I never understood why people are calling some of the older characters "boomer" picks. I mean any video games that a Baby Boomer would be nostalgic for goes much further back than most of the characters in Smash. I mean any baby boomer who is a fan of Fatal Fury was already in their 30's when that arcade scene started showing up.

As far as I see it the only characters right now who can even remotely be called "Boomer picks" are Pacman, Game and Watch. Donkey Kong and Mario. And they all came out in 80-81 so you youngest Baby Boomers would have been 16/17 by then.
It’s a meme, like how white Monster is boomer fuel.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
It’s a meme, like how white Monster is boomer fuel.
Yet is it entirely necessary to call picks that people wanted for yay long ago a "boomer pick"? Unlike actual stereotypical boomers, who have no idea how to adapt to the current generation, instead plotting to try to keep an impossible "status quo", there was more than enough reasons for people to go for picks like Banjo, Geno, Ken and Ryu, even the likes of Terry Bogard and the Master Chief/Doomguy. They themselves carry some history on their back, and it shows through their adventures from the past and their influence on the gaming environment around us, even with one-off games as shown with Geno. Sure, all of these characters have faced ridicule for not fitting into the mold of a Smash Bros Game (eg. being owned by Microsoft, coming from a Fighting Game, being a 3rd Party Character, etc.) yet in the face of such adversity, some of them attained power and influence beyond their own existence, and that's really some of the most magical aspects of speculation. Heck, despite our own adversities and trials revolving around Shantae, we have stuck around for much longer than most people would have thought, trucking along just fine. That is the power of Smash Speculation at the end of it all: the ability to continue to support characters we love to see in a Smash game, no matter the results or insults.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yet is it entirely necessary to call picks that people wanted for yay long ago a "boomer pick"? Unlike actual stereotypical boomers, who have no idea how to adapt to the current generation, instead plotting to try to keep an impossible "status quo", there was more than enough reasons for people to go for picks like Banjo, Geno, Ken and Ryu, even the likes of Terry Bogard and the Master Chief/Doomguy. They themselves carry some history on their back, and it shows through their adventures from the past and their influence on the gaming environment around us, even with one-off games as shown with Geno. Sure, all of these characters have faced ridicule for not fitting into the mold of a Smash Bros Game (eg. being owned by Microsoft, coming from a Fighting Game, being a 3rd Party Character, etc.) yet in the face of such adversity, some of them attained power and influence beyond their own existence, and that's really some of the most magical aspects of speculation. Heck, despite our own adversities and trials revolving around Shantae, we have stuck around for much longer than most people would have thought, trucking along just fine. That is the power of Smash Speculation at the end of it all: the ability to continue to support characters we love to see in a Smash game, no matter the results or insults.
And thanks to the recent announcement, that speculation gets to continue at least until next E3 if I had to guess.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now do you guys believe it'll be an additional 5 characters for DLC for a fighters pass 2. Or less then this pass? I honestly don't think it will be higher then this pass.
Seeing as there were 10 slots uncovered, I think they could try to spread it out over time. It depends on whether or not these next characters are standalone.

Otherwise, 5 seems like a sweet spot.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Seeing as there were 10 slots uncovered, I think they could try to spread it out over time. It depends on whether or not these next characters are standalone.

Otherwise, 5 seems like a sweet spot.
I think three if we're going by trying to make the GUI for the Smash web page logic. I know it's akin to the Box from back in September, but I'm following that on principle. Now, if we were to consider duos as separate characters, like the Pokemon, then we could squeeze in four-five, but I also don't want a repeat of November 2nd, where we have these large expectations based on data that could potentially be just blank space only for the graphics to hold the key for how many Smash characters can come in.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Now do you guys believe it'll be an additional 5 characters for DLC for a fighters pass 2. Or less then this pass? I honestly don't think it will be higher then this pass.
I think the fact that they didn't give a number and stated that the new characters will be sold separately was intentional. They don't want to promise more than they can do or limit themselves if they want to do more.

Basically I think from hear on out, every new character is added on a case by case basis. No real themes, no guarantees. They will make characters until they either don't have ideas or all parties involved decide to move on to other projects. That said, lets apply some deductive reasoning...

They specifically used a plural, so bare minimum we will get it two new characters. However Sakurai doesn't usually stop at the minimum (Take the ballot where we were ready for one more character and we ended up getting Bayo, Cloud and Corrin announced all around the same time) So I would say the bare minimum we can expect is 3.

As I said before, I think it's safe to assume that the DLC will continue until next years E3 as that is a time you want to have big reveals. So Terry is out in November which leaves three months for #5 to release before the original promised end. However, with the pace they have been making between fighters, I think January is a closer bet (they could release in December if the wanted that Christmas Hype, but I really doubt it unless the character is way further along than we realize.

Anyway, at current pace, getting 3 characters out between February and next E3 wouldn't be hard to do, so it's not impossible to think that the E3 announcement would be a fourth character. Granted it would not be surprising or unheard of if the Smash team wanted to take a break after February which could push post pass #3 to E3.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I'm fairly certain we're going to get two seperate fighter passes after this, both with 5 fighters. Based on the datamined WoL slots for characters and such, and also just because it makes sense to do it that way. I don't think we're gonna get any more stages, though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if I should mention it, but something came up in the data recently, according to a fellow user I hang out with on the Banjo thread, 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus :

So, an update: the unstacked version of the CSS now allows for 12 slots, not 10. So I think the datamined slots mean more than how the CSS is organized.

Still, it's not clear if we're getting all-original characters, all first parties or whatnot. For the last FP slot, I still think Spirits and Mii Costumes deconfirm, but that may not be the case in the future...

The announcement said "more fighters are in development!" As in, plural. So at worst it's just 2, at best all of these slots are getting filled.
While empty space may not mean anything, this is certainly interesting.

I'm fairly certain we're going to get two seperate fighter passes after this, both with 5 fighters. Based on the datamined WoL slots for characters and such, and also just because it makes sense to do it that way. I don't think we're gonna get any more stages, though.
Depending on the case, any other first or third parties that aren't new wouldn't get anything, yeah. New third parties, I can't see getting in without a stage, it'd be odd.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I would say that's terribly ambitious and unlikely, but I certainly wouldn't be complaining if that turned out to be the case. A few things tho...

With no more stages, that would suggest that all the new characters we get are from represented franchises as Sakurai doesn;t like to add a new character without giving them a place to call home.

Second basing it off the World of Light place holders isn;t the best of bench marks. Place holder spots like that are often made in a number larger than the devs ever imagine to reach so that they never have to go back and rework any of that old code. So the number of empty spots aren't "how many are we going to fill" as much as "how many will we never fill so we can make as much as we want without worrying about it" It's always an estimate over how many they plan to need, not an exact number.

Lastly, they aren't being sold in a pass, so lumping them all into neat numbers doesn't really mean anything. The benefit of them not being in a pass this time means that they don;t all have to be the same value. We can get Dixie, who doesn't need a new stage or music and she can be appropriately cheaper than say if we got Shantae who would need a stage and a few songs.

From now on I don't think we will ever get a set number. They will tell us about the next one coming and around when they release if there is another one after them, that's when we will hear about them. We aren't going to know when the DLC train ends until they explicitly say "and with the release of X next month, Smash DLC will be complete"

Top Bottom