• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Depending on the case, any other first or third parties that aren't new wouldn't get anything, yeah. New third parties, I can't see getting in without a stage, it'd be odd.
I don't think we are getting any new 3rd parties after this fighter pass, that's why the whole thing is entirely new 3rd parties. Me saying "I don't think we're getting more stages" is also because I think the rest of the 15 are going to be from already represented series. We COULD get stages with 1st parties, obviously, but I just don't think it's the case.

I would say that's terribly ambitious and unlikely, but I certainly wouldn't be complaining if that turned out to be the case. A few things tho...

With no more stages, that would suggest that all the new characters we get are from represented franchises as Sakurai doesn;t like to add a new character without giving them a place to call home.
Yeah, that's exactly what I think will happen. The rest are gonna be from already represented series, mostly 1st party.

Second basing it off the World of Light place holders isn;t the best of bench marks. Place holder spots like that are often made in a number larger than the devs ever imagine to reach so that they never have to go back and rework any of that old code. So the number of empty spots aren't "how many are we going to fill" as much as "how many will we never fill so we can make as much as we want without worrying about it" It's always an estimate over how many they plan to need, not an exact number.
1) They can always add more later, meaning there'd be no real reason to add them in beforehand unless they planned to make use of them. Not to be an asshole, but I'm assuming you're not a programmer? lol. This logic doesn't really apply to placeholder slots at all. In fact there's almost no reason whatsoever to add placeholder slots at all unless they were going to be used eventually.

2) In Smash 4, a game made by the exact same dev team, there were placeholder slots (specifically character IDs) that ALL GOT FILLED. Every single one of them. The exact same programmers doing the exact same thing makes a LOT more sense than doing something unnecessary for no good reason. The WoL slots are different from Character IDs, granted, but considering the 29 character IDs in Ultimate, only 9 of which we have used so far, (including Terry as 1) it'd be completely silly to think they're just future proofing.

There's a certain amount of skepticism that's healthy to have, but that much is just absurd.

Lastly, they aren't being sold in a pass, so lumping them all into neat numbers doesn't really mean anything. The benefit of them not being in a pass this time means that they don;t all have to be the same value. We can get Dixie, who doesn't need a new stage or music and she can be appropriately cheaper than say if we got Shantae who would need a stage and a few songs.
We don't know that yet. If literally every other fighting game is a good example, or if any Nintendo game that has had DLC is a good example, they're gonna keep doing "bundles" that contain groups of DLC.

Mortal Kombat, has several seasons of fighters, each season is exactly 6 characters. Tekken 7, SFV, DBFZ, etc. etc. etc. all do the same thing.

BotW and Mario Kart 8 both had DLC that came in "packs," each pack came with some stuff that was put in the game over time.

Sure, there's a POSSIBILITY they won't be a second fighter pass specifically, and they didn't EXPLICITLY SAY IT, but... what logical reasoning is there for NOT keeping a perfectly sound business model that everyone in the entire industry uses?

From now on I don't think we will ever get a set number. They will tell us about the next one coming and around when they release if there is another one after them, that's when we will hear about them. We aren't going to know when the DLC train ends until they explicitly say "and with the release of X next month, Smash DLC will be complete"
I think there's a distinct possibility of us getting even more after the 15 WoL slots are filled, but that'll be years down the line and probably isn't in their plans right now. So yeah, I kinda agree.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, whether we get new parties after this depends on whether or not they decide to resume releasing first parties in the meantime, as a sort of buffer period while negotiations with other companies can be achieved. We'll have to wait and see, though, since we just don't know. That being said...

One important point that's mentioned here is the necessary slight alterations for character designs, so that they don't all clash with each other. As we all know, Shantae's out-of-game artwork style has never been consistent, so one can wonder what approach they'd take; HGH style, or something different?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's what the leaker said. They changed their twitter so the links dont work, but there's a limk to the leaks wiki on the last page and it lists everything they said.

There's no link to where they say that it comes from a franchise already represented in smash, so maybe they didn't actually say that, but it listed sources for everything else. Other than that they might have legit info if they knew some stuff. dunno
You know I actualy have this photo someone made who talks about the leaker and what he said about the female character so I hope this helps I guess
E32FD920-F346-49D2-AD6B-A2E5D68BA885.jpeg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It's
Now do you guys believe it'll be an additional 5 characters for DLC for a fighters pass 2. Or less then this pass? I honestly don't think it will be higher then this pass.
It's up in the air really. I can see Sakurai giving us another 5, or I can see him continuing to support the game as long as Nintendo gives him funding to do so. The man is the closest thing we have to a literal miracle worker right now, so it's probably his call. I do think the reactions and overwhelming hype can put a lit of pressure on him, but he's a fan just like the rest of us and is very excited about what he's doing.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I will say, whether we get new parties after this depends on whether or not they decide to resume releasing first parties in the meantime, as a sort of buffer period while negotiations with other companies can be achieved. We'll have to wait and see, though, since we just don't know. That being said...

One important point that's mentioned here is the necessary slight alterations for character designs, so that they don't all clash with each other. As we all know, Shantae's out-of-game artwork style has never been consistent, so one can wonder what approach they'd take; HGH style, or something different?
I'd imagine something close to her pirates curse or seven sirens portrait artwork.HGH is a bit too chibi and exaggerated imo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I bet Sakurai will be able to do something with Shantae's 5 versions in one on a combined design along with Matt Bozon and his wife helping out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another possibility I thought for the character with Japanese clothing is Sakura Shinguji, but she uses a mech, so that would have been an important detail to mention.

It's

It's up in the air really. I can see Sakurai giving us another 5, or I can see him continuing to support the game as long as Nintendo gives him funding to do so. The man is the closest thing we have to a literal miracle worker right now, so it's probably his call. I do think the reactions and overwhelming hype can put a lit of pressure on him, but he's a fan just like the rest of us and is very excited about what he's doing.
One thing for sure is, he's acting like a man who wants to break a record. This game was Charles Martinet's 100th with him in the role of :ultmario: and that was counted as a world record, so who's to say Sak won't try to break a character amount record for a crossover fighting game? As for fighting games in general? Forget it, no one would break Tobal No. 2's record of 200.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say 3rd parties are still likely post fighters pass.

Granted they'd give the fighters pass spaces to the bigger 3rd parties as they'll have better negotiators for the prime spots. The majority of DLC sales are made in the first few months and all that.

Still, think of how well Smash has sold to keep the DLC going. Either that or developing DLC is much chiller than doing full game development.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say 3rd parties are still likely post fighters pass.

Granted they'd give the fighters pass spaces to the bigger 3rd parties as they'll have better negotiators for the prime spots. The majority of DLC sales are made in the first few months and all that.

Still, think of how well Smash has sold to keep the DLC going. Either that or developing DLC is much chiller than doing full game development.
The latter point is definitely helpful, especially considering there will no longer any extra modes from here on out.

Heck, Sak himself thanked us all for the sales.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The latter point is definitely helpful, especially considering there will no longer any extra modes from here on out.

Heck, Sak himself thanked us all for the sales.
That being said, there's still a lot of work for even a single fighter, we're lucky to have Sakurai as our developer. Other developers wouldn't have gone as far as he did in most categories.

Honestly, I've also been thinking about sending Nintendo of Japan a letter to Sakurai and his team, thanking them for being tough ol' birds over the years when it came to developing the Smash games, let alone Ultimate. I don't think they'll truly read it (considering how much they may get from like-minded fans over the years), but still.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That being said, there's still a lot of work for even a single fighter, we're lucky to have Sakurai as our developer. Other developers wouldn't have gone as far as he did in most categories.

Honestly, I've also been thinking about sending Nintendo of Japan a letter to Sakurai and his team, thanking them for being tough ol' birds over the years when it came to developing the Smash games, let alone Ultimate. I don't think they'll truly read it (considering how much they may get from like-minded fans over the years), but still.
If we get another long-standing character request confirmed, that'd be the best chance to send it as part of a mass fan-made thank you gift. It worked for K. Rool, and B-K's underway, so...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't think we are getting any new 3rd parties after this fighter pass, that's why the whole thing is entirely new 3rd parties. Me saying "I don't think we're getting more stages" is also because I think the rest of the 15 are going to be from already represented series. We COULD get stages with 1st parties, obviously, but I just don't think it's the case.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think will happen. The rest are gonna be from already represented series, mostly 1st party.

1) They can always add more later, meaning there'd be no real reason to add them in beforehand unless they planned to make use of them. Not to be an *******, but I'm assuming you're not a programmer? lol. This logic doesn't really apply to placeholder slots at all. In fact there's almost no reason whatsoever to add placeholder slots at all unless they were going to be used eventually.

2) In Smash 4, a game made by the exact same dev team, there were placeholder slots (specifically character IDs) that ALL GOT FILLED. Every single one of them. The exact same programmers doing the exact same thing makes a LOT more sense than doing something unnecessary for no good reason. The WoL slots are different from Character IDs, granted, but considering the 29 character IDs in Ultimate, only 9 of which we have used so far, (including Terry as 1) it'd be completely silly to think they're just future proofing.

There's a certain amount of skepticism that's healthy to have, but that much is just absurd.

We don't know that yet. If literally every other fighting game is a good example, or if any Nintendo game that has had DLC is a good example, they're gonna keep doing "bundles" that contain groups of DLC.

Mortal Kombat, has several seasons of fighters, each season is exactly 6 characters. Tekken 7, SFV, DBFZ, etc. etc. etc. all do the same thing.

BotW and Mario Kart 8 both had DLC that came in "packs," each pack came with some stuff that was put in the game over time.

Sure, there's a POSSIBILITY they won't be a second fighter pass specifically, and they didn't EXPLICITLY SAY IT, but... what logical reasoning is there for NOT keeping a perfectly sound business model that everyone in the entire industry uses?

I think there's a distinct possibility of us getting even more after the 15 WoL slots are filled, but that'll be years down the line and probably isn't in their plans right now. So yeah, I kinda agree.
OK, so a few things... First off, no, I am not a programmer, but I do know that measures like this is a method of "future proofing" Doing something in your game that is unneeded to ensure that no matter how far you go, you are covered. Smash 4 might have lived to the fullest with it's future proofing, but that is one example where most games do not. Many roster based games have empty spots that are never filled beacuase the devs weren't sure how far they would be going with additions and bet the over. Pokemon for example made models for the pokemon that were far more advanced than the 3DS needed because they wanted to make sure they wouldn't need to redo them for a long time (the trouble happening now is only because GF is a little incompetent when developing for something as powerful as the Switch)

The Ultimate team may very well use up every slot, but my point was that they didn't make all those slots specifically because they had a plan for that many characters. They picked a high end number to work with in case they decided they wanted to do that much. SO my point regarding that is that the empty slots represent a possibility not an inevitability and we should all keep our expectations rightfully in check.

And second, we did get confirmation that they won't be sold in a pass. In plain text at the bottom of the screen it said that characters after the fighters pass would be sold separately. It didn't say "separately from the fighters pass" but separately. They could change their mind and do a future season, but right now their stance seems to be to make a character on their own without be beholden to filling out a set number.

As for the idea that it would only be first party characters... With the number you are suggesting I think that is incredibly unlikely. I don't really think there are 10 Nintendo characters all with enough appeal and fan support to promise enough of a return for them to want to make them all fighters. There are well over 10 Nintendo characters I want and think would be great for the spot, but most of them are just characters with a modest presence and fanbase. Most all of the Nintendo heavy hitters are already present and I can only think of a few stand out exceptions that the near entirety of the Smash fanbase would get behind (or a large enough portion to make selling them separately profitable) Especially if assist trophies disqualify characters as most of the 1st party characters I could see having enough fans to buy them are all currently assists

Even if you included characters from represented 3rd parties i think filling out 10 slots that are all likely to garner an overall positive fan reception would be hard at this point.

Lastly, Sakurai himself said that he wants to use the future DLC to expand the worlds Smash includes and to please as many fans as possible. I'm not saying every character would be from an unrepresented franchise, but if none of them were then it wouldn't really be expanding to others worlds.

In the end I'm sure it will be some kind of mix of first and third parties (some represented and some not) and the larger then number of DLC characters we get, the more likely it becomes that some of them will be unrepresented because the number of represented characters that enough people want is limited.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, Smash Bros Ultimate is undoubtedly the game that no other fighting game can top off (Characters, Music, Stages, etc..) and sadly future installments of the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, Smash Bros Ultimate is undoubtedly the game that no other fighting game can top off (Characters, Music, Stages, etc..) and sadly future installments of the series.
Even so, there will always be a chance for some character requests to possibly be picked in the future if they can't get in this time.

So long as we don't get any added nonsense like tripping or Smash Tour, I'm not really bothered by this.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Even so, there will always be a chance for some character requests to possibly be picked in the future if they can't get in this time.

So long as we don't get any added nonsense like tripping or Smash Tour, I'm not really bothered by this.
But at the same time, it would be hard to go back to a new Smash game with a more reasonable roster after this. No matter how many characters they put in, a lot of the current roster would not return. No chance for some of them. As someone who lost their main in Brawl with the removal of Mewtwo, and then lost my new main in 4 with the removal of Squirtle, I can tell you how no matter how awesome the roster is, when the one character you like most is gone, it can be hard to really enjoy the new game.

That's why we are getting this new DLC. Sakurai knows that it will never be possible to have this roster again so he wants to keep adding to it and stretching out it's life for as much as he can before moving on to a new game and losing such a complete experience.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fair enough. But at the very least this game's appeal will get us through the rest of the Switch's lifetime. It may take a decade before we remember to think about what Smash 6 can even do, as I'm sure they'll take a break for a long time after this. I just hope that we'll get to fight regular enemies again like in 4's Smash Run next time, that was cool.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I'll be, just got got trophy for being signed on here for five years. I only ever remember joining just to have a place to talk about the current Smash game at the time, and never got too into speculation. Even went on a hiatus for some of those years until Ultimate and Ridley were revealed. Some time after that I happened to find this thread, which rekindled the interest I had in Shantae a long time ago, turning it into a passion and I'm still not entirely sure how it happened. My best guess is that you all rubbed off on me. Since then I went on to discover that Wayforward's games are pretty much all gold.

But now that we have Dragon Quest characters and Mario in the same game again, Smash Tour would kind of be like reliving Fortune Street.

Fair enough. But at the very least this game's appeal will get us through the rest of the Switch's lifetime. It may take a decade before we remember to think about what Smash 6 can even do, as I'm sure they'll take a break for a long time after this.
And in the meantime, Ultimate can just be rereleased as many times as necessary.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Side note, I was watching SomeCallMeJohnny's reaction to the Nintendo direct and after the Sans costume reveal he was talking about how Shantae is nearly inevitable in his opinion.

Always nice for our girl to get some big name support.

Dukefire

Smash Master
First, Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy.

Then, Sans became a Mii Costume with a remix of his music of Megalovania on the Genocide boss fight.

An Indie Fighter seems right to be inevitable.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Is it possible to show this clip or vid?
I've got you covered. I've set the clip to the Goemon costume.

Wanna know something funny, yet sad? I actually remember Goemon way back in my childhood... As a racer in the Konami Krazy Racers game for the GBA. Sadly, I didn't know who he was back in the day, and I think I played as the longer-haired girl racer whose name is evading me more than Goemon.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
OK, so a few things... First off, no, I am not a programmer, but I do know that measures like this is a method of "future proofing" Doing something in your game that is unneeded to ensure that no matter how far you go, you are covered. Smash 4 might have lived to the fullest with it's future proofing, but that is one example where most games do not. Many roster based games have empty spots that are never filled beacuase the devs weren't sure how far they would be going with additions and bet the over. Pokemon for example made models for the pokemon that were far more advanced than the 3DS needed because they wanted to make sure they wouldn't need to redo them for a long time (the trouble happening now is only because GF is a little incompetent when developing for something as powerful as the Switch)
I really don't want to be rude, but this entire paragraph reaks of ignorance. About half of these things are completely unrelated and have nothing to do with the actual topic. The pokemon models they made for X/Y are literally not even remotely similar to empty slots in the data of a game. Do you have a source for that comment about "most roster based games"? Because I'm fairly certain that's not true at all. Even still, IT'S THE SAME DEV TEAM AS SMASH 4. They're going to do the same thing again, because that's their programming style.

I *AM* a programmer. Not a professional one, but I can code decently well. Trust me when I say that these aren't a "just in case" thing.

The Ultimate team may very well use up every slot, but my point was that they didn't make all those slots specifically because they had a plan for that many characters. They picked a high end number to work with in case they decided they wanted to do that much. SO my point regarding that is that the empty slots represent a possibility not an inevitability and we should all keep our expectations rightfully in check.
Characters take around a year to completely develop, according to Sakurai himself. This is just MAKING the character. Before they even do that, they have to plan out who they're going to add, negotiate to make sure they can use them legally, put in a bunch of research to perfect the moveset and base idea, and THEN they can start working on it. They may not have EXACT plans and know 100% what their movesets are going to be, but they almost certainly know that they're going to do however many DLC characters they plan on doing, so they can put that many slots in the code.

And second, we did get confirmation that they won't be sold in a pass. In plain text at the bottom of the screen it said that characters after the fighters pass would be sold separately. It didn't say "separately from the fighters pass" but separately. They could change their mind and do a future season, but right now their stance seems to be to make a character on their own without be beholden to filling out a set number.
That's just a blatant misinterpretation. Obviously they're going to be sold seperately, that's a thing they have to include for legal reasons. Even then, all of the characters in the fighter's pass can be bought seperately too? "Sold seperately" is a phrase they are legally required to put on-screen if it isn't free.

As for the idea that it would only be first party characters... With the number you are suggesting I think that is incredibly unlikely. I don't really think there are 10 Nintendo characters all with enough appeal and fan support to promise enough of a return for them to want to make them all fighters. There are well over 10 Nintendo characters I want and think would be great for the spot, but most of them are just characters with a modest presence and fanbase. Most all of the Nintendo heavy hitters are already present and I can only think of a few stand out exceptions that the near entirety of the Smash fanbase would get behind (or a large enough portion to make selling them separately profitable) Especially if assist trophies disqualify characters as most of the 1st party characters I could see having enough fans to buy them are all currently assists
That's just completely inaccurate. Sure, maybe there's not 10 1st party characters you want, but... compared to how many people asked for Terry Bogard? How many people asked for Joker? There are at least 20 1st party characters that are MILES ahead of BOTH of them as far as popularity/recognizability. Do you want me to make a list? I could very well make a list. It would be a very long list.

I've seen this argument of "there's no more good 1st party reps left" way too many times and it's just silly. I feel like the people who say this just don't actually care about Nintendo games other than Smash or something, because I legitimately don't understand how one could look at a roster like Ultimate's and think, "Yep. Every Nintendo character that matters is playable."

Even if you included characters from represented 3rd parties i think filling out 10 slots that are all likely to garner an overall positive fan reception would be hard at this point.
I don't think they care about a positive fan reception, seeing as they're putting in characters nobody asked for like Joker and Terry and... Piranha Plant. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but come on.

Lastly, Sakurai himself said that he wants to use the future DLC to expand the worlds Smash includes and to please as many fans as possible. I'm not saying every character would be from an unrepresented franchise, but if none of them were then it wouldn't really be expanding to others worlds.
That was a mistranslation. According to Source Gaming, a more accurate translation of Sakurai's actual words would be, "Any character added to Smash Bros expands the world," and he, along with two other Japanese speakers, agreed that it implies nothing about characters being 3rd party or new IPs.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Saying that Sakurai is not going to pick any more third parties is just.... well its silly. Sakurai knows, and he outright said, that the next smash game will not be as expansive as this, so he wants to keep pushing it to see how far he can go.

Will we only get 3rd parties? No, I expect a few first Parties, Rex being the obvious one. Maybe some others from franchises in already, maybe new ones. But we WILL be getting other 3rd parties. I feel an indie is all but garunteed, and Geno.

As for how many, I would love if they use all 90 WoL slots. And they very well may. The may not, hell they may add a patch that adds MORE. Right now we do not know. I think its safe to assume the best outcome is 10 more fighters, with a more realistic being between 5 and 10. Sakurai is going to go nuts, he wants to flex his muscles.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Saying that Sakurai is not going to pick any more third parties is just.... well its silly. Sakurai knows, and he outright said, that the next smash game will not be as expansive as this, so he wants to keep pushing it to see how far he can go.

Will we only get 3rd parties? No, I expect a few first Parties, Rex being the obvious one. Maybe some others from franchises in already, maybe new ones. But we WILL be getting other 3rd parties. I feel an indie is all but garunteed, and Geno.

As for how many, I would love if they use all 90 WoL slots. And they very well may. The may not, hell they may add a patch that adds MORE. Right now we do not know. I think its safe to assume the best outcome is 10 more fighters, with a more realistic being between 5 and 10. Sakurai is going to go nuts, he wants to flex his muscles.
I don't think 3rd parties are off the table, I was just saying I think that 1st parties are the most likely, at least for the next fighter pass.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I had to just look at the other Smash threads on the newcomer speculation page. It looks like we're Number 3 behind Isaac and Geno for both views (> 1 Mil. views) and comments on character specific threads! That's pretty great period, that an indie character can still keep up with two insanely popular old-school requests, like Isaac and Geno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But now that we have Dragon Quest characters and Mario in the same game again, Smash Tour would kind of be like reliving Fortune Street.
Heh, even better if one of the secondary DQ characters gets involved someday.

Wanna know something funny, yet sad? I actually remember Goemon way back in my childhood... As a racer in the Konami Krazy Racers game for the GBA. Sadly, I didn't know who he was back in the day, and I think I played as the longer-haired girl racer whose name is evading me more than Goemon.
Ah yes, that'd be Pastel, from the even more underused Twinbee series. At least the creators for that did everything they wanted to do with it...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I remember Goemon because of his N64 games being a big part of my childhood.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
You know I actualy have this photo someone made who talks about the leaker and what he said about the female character so I hope this helps I guess
View attachment 237385
Not only this but IIRC, didn't you mention last year something about a datamine hinting at a Rottytops Spirit potentially being added later on? Was that datamine ever disproven?

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'm sure Sakurai will still focus on expanding different game worlds like he said in the direct even if the translation was a bit off but I think both Sakurai & Nintendo did get their message across letting us know this could be his only chance "EVER" to have this opportunity to have this many Iconic & Fan requested characters all in one game. So I believe he'll mostly look more into 3rd parties to keep his record going.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure Sakurai will still focus on expanding different game worlds like he said in the direct even if the translation was a bit off but I think both Sakurai & Nintendo did get their message across letting us know this could be his only chance "EVER" to have this opportunity to have this many Iconic & Fan requested characters all in one game. So I believe he'll mostly look more into 3rd parties to keep his record going.
Maybe...though I still think they would like to sneak in a few first parties every so often, so that folks remember to get their products. I mean, folks buying Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox isn't exactly giving them any more profit. :p

We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Maybe...though I still think they would like to sneak in a few first parties every so often, so that folks remember to get their products. I mean, folks buying Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox isn't exactly giving them any more profit. :p

We'll just have to wait and see.
In all fairness, as often as we rip them apart for including FE characters or Pokemon characters, it makes sense to push them in order to interest people who have never thought to try it out. It's not necessarily bad, but it can rub us the wrong way if there's more FE and Pokemon than there is Pikmin or Zelda, or when a lot of characters in there are different iterations of a base character, as showcased with BotW Link, OoT Link, and Toon Link being three of the five notable Zelda characters. Or infamously: Marth to Roy to Chrom and Marth to Lucina.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In all fairness, as often as we rip them apart for including FE characters or Pokemon characters, it makes sense to push them in order to interest people who have never thought to try it out. It's not necessarily bad, but it can rub us the wrong way if there's more FE and Pokemon than there is Pikmin or Zelda, or when a lot of characters in there are different iterations of a base character, as showcased with BotW Link, OoT Link, and Toon Link being three of the five notable Zelda characters. Or infamously: Marth to Roy to Chrom and Marth to Lucina.
Adding to that, some of the FE additions we got last time tried to give out more variety, so having a TH character that's not Byleth could help give even more in regards to that. The few standout things Byleth has are nothing that the other characters couldn't do (healing, whip).

D

Deleted member

I mean it wouldn’t hurt to add some characters from exsisting series. Would it?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Wow! I'm shocked at how many pages this thread has! I didn't know Shantae was this popular!

Anyway, sign me up as a supporter. I love Shantae, and I've played through the first three games multiple times. Never got around to half genie hero.

I never thought she had much of a chance, but between Shovel Knight and Sans, I think an indie rep is coming, and I think it is most likely her.

I think the main reason I want Shantae is for the amazing moveset she'd come with. Between the transforming, the magic, and maybe some of the Pirate's curse abilities, I think she has more potential than most characters out there. Here's hoping!

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
After hearing the news of more DLC characters coming, I have a good feeling that a Spirit character is gonna get promoted. Hopefully Shantae. I think the continued demand even after the Spirit might finally net her a playable role.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I might be an outlier here, but I really don't have many first party characters I want to see playable in Ultimate. I can only think of two I'd be excited for off the top of my head (Rex & Pyra, Paper Mario). The third parties I want vastly outweigh the first parties lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I might be an outlier here, but I really don't have many first party characters I want to see playable in Ultimate. I can only think of two I'd be excited for off the top of my head (Rex & Pyra, Paper Mario). The third parties I want vastly outweigh the first parties lol.
For me it's Rex, King Boo, Edelgard, and Custom Robo. Everything else on my list is third party.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Coming back to the thread after a long while.

After news of a new wave of dlc fighters es announced, my stance has changed on spirits.

As long as they don’t have other issues weighing them down, I feel characters represented through spirits only, have a higher chance of being promoted to playable.

And from the indie scene, Shantae easily takes the cake. Not only that, but she’s a fan favorite, and there’s speculation that Sakurai will finally comply with fan favorites after the fighters pass.

As for my most wanted, I can only name a few first party.

Mike Jokes And Takamaru take the absolute top spot.

Then Saki Amamiya (is he 1st party though? Or 2nd?) Isaac (who has a lot weighing him down) and Medusa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom