• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Most improved veteran - melee: Splice
Most improved newcomer - melee: Mytus
Most improved - Project M: Chappos
Community Contribution Award - Max Walton, Nick Downer, Special award for Joey Hoang
Harry Ponting Award - SurPr15e
M2K Award - Brawl: Jei
Chibo Award - Brawl: Dean
The Father of Brawl: Attila

S.D

Smash Master
Awards went to
Chibo award (brawl contribution) - Dean
M2K award (timeouts) - Jei
Father of Brawl (most dominant) - Attila
Best melee newcomer - Mytus
Most improved melee vet - Splice
Most improved PM - Chappos
Community contribution awards - Max Walton, Nic Downer
Harry Ponting award - Surprise (signed Ponting avatar framed photo given to Joey for his efforts as commentary coordinator)

EDIT: FKN NINJA'D BY RED KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN cbwruigberpuig

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
did you really take 10 mins to type that and then get ninja'd how do you even let that happen

Really glad Nic Downer was not forgotten for what he's done for this scene this year, all on his own volition.

Zero

Smash Hero
Some shoutouts in no particular order

Sieg: <3

Perth crew: GG EC. really cool meeting you and chilling on Friday before the tournament, Korean lady had no idea what was happening. Host a major sometime! I hope you all enjoyed your trip!

The Perth PM Crew: Damn you guys destroyed us. NSW such frauds

Dean: Top pools matches, Pokefloats and Fourside counterpick, most enjoyable Melee set I've had. Also Falcon 4-ways in Brawl Doubles, I regret picking FD, I think we would have had it on Mario Bros.

PCG: I look forward to our next match.

Chappos: Intense set, next time I won't jump into all those Chapposmash attacks, I swear I'm not bad at this game. That money match was the greatest way to start a tournament and fantastic weekend. Cheers and I hope we get the chance to rematch.

Polaroid: Great Mewtwo and great set. Not going to lie I am a little salty about losing our match so see above, Perth major, rematch, etc.

Vlade + Trav: That ragequit omg. We definitely did not deserve to win that set.

Asianaussie: Great to see you after so long. Come to Sydney, your bean is waiting to be rescued! Play PM mate.

Armada and Lucky: Thank you for coming, I think everyone in the community appreciated the opportunity to play, watch and learn from your fantastic play. Inspiring to us all.

Joey: God damn your Luigi is scary. No idea what to do. Great seeing you after such a long time, I'm surprised you remember my donut dinner, I didn't even, haha! Good times.

TOs, commentators, equipment providers, pool admins, everyone who helped organise: Fantastic job from you all on helping run the biggest tournament ever! Even with the inevitable hiccups, I think it went really well. Thank you so much!

Redact: Even though we beat you in PM doubles, I'm keen to make your next PR pics if you'd like.

Cal: We did pretty good in doubles, stop suiciding though please.

Gords: Watching PM doubles sets with Lucky was incredible, you did solid work! Congratuations.

Everyone I missed: Whether we played friendlies, chatted or didn't, you are all amazing for helping make this weekend and tournament one of the greatest ever.

Tournament flu: **** you

I have to say, even a few months ago I never would have thought I'd have attended this. After playing in ACL, seeing the explosion of activity and competition in the scene, new and familiar faces as friendly as if you never left, it really draws you back in, and to me SSV seals the deal. You really never do quit Smash.

****, my feet still hurt. But it was so worth, like the whole weekend. ILY Aussie Smash scene <3

Basty

Smash Ace
I feel like I'm getting it, thanks shadowloo for giving me 2 excuses to miss school
If I have it tommorow, I'll be playing melee seriously again, not that I haven't been playing it, but its mostly been me playing Mario,Peach and Luigi, characters I never play.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I thought I got away from Shadowflu, but then it hit me yesterday morning. Three day weekend if you count being in bed sick as a day.

Splice

Smash Hero
For me it's been the greatest week in several years sandwiched by two of the worst.

Using the opportunity to discover more metal bands on teh internet

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i like how almost all of the sets at this tournament were decided by skill and/or game knowledge, rather than chokes and/or suicides. with the hilarious exception of a certain perth vs nsw PM doubles set... xD (2 - 1 = 0?)

Last edited:

tibs7

Smash Champion
So yeah in between bench sets I have some time to write some quick shout outs!
Attila: you are the best and worst team mate lmao, I know we'll win teams in melee from now on tho.

Joey: brooooo, thanks for letting me have some time on the Mic, greatly appreciated. You are awesome, I think I outplaced you somehow haha ❤

Shaya: unfortunate about doubles situation but after the tournament you seemed back to normal and that was awesome, you're a champion

Sd: think I chatted to you just over that souv and it was good, your passion for smash is unmatched and makes me want to get good.

Dekar: we all wanted you to take a game from the king, so close, so hype, so smart. Can't wait to get some games against you

Skeletom: our games went ok I guess, I missed some.very important edfeguards! Which is something I'll work on. You have a sick falcon, very entertaining. Also a good bloke.

max: your tech is really sick, defs levelled up. I was scared I honestly thought I wouldn't have a chance haha, lucky Fox is pretty cheap....
Enjoyed commentary with you and yeah gj with recording, streaming etc.

pcg: for like a month I was like who the ef is this pcg kid haha. Youre a nice guy and seem to want to get better which is cool.

Armada: I think Australia has fallen in love with you. Please come back, or I guess we'll come to you. wish I spoke/hung with you more! ❤✌ (lol not like he'll read this)

nd crew
You guys sound really chill and just wanna have fun haha, hopefully speak to you more also.

Cao: much wub, you're fundamentals are to stronk, was good to see you again after like 2yearz? ❤

Bwyan: why are you so skinny? It looks so weird looking at a skinny Bryan haha. You seem happy, hope everything is going well!

Dreadtech: you are such a genuine guy, runs tournaments well and you care for smash!
You brought hype in PM which was awesome. I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue was shouting your name haha

Codie: so glad to see there is another lifting smasher. You're a top bloke, I'm sure we'll talk more next time :)

was a sweet tournament ty TO's.
revitalised my urge to get better at the game again.
I'll be training hard guys. Watch this space

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
So Shadowloo 6 has been confirmed for early February. What does this mean for Buttonsmash, as I recall QLD wanting to host the sumer tournament for the Oz scene? Also, Apex is the week before

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Joey said Dekar is really smart, I have no words for this.

Also me dekar s.d totally rock paper scissors.

Paper so smart can be shaped into anything but paper isn't very cool.

Scissors so sharp can cut anything real fast and they so shiny but you gotta be careful or you cut yourself

Rock just sits there and you hit it but it don't move. #ccnation

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Joey said Dekar is really smart, I have no words for this.

Also me dekar s.d totally rock paper scissors.

Paper so smart can be shaped into anything but paper isn't very cool.

Scissors so sharp can cut anything real fast and they so shiny but you gotta be careful or you cut yourself

Rock just sits there and you hit it but it don't move. #ccnation
TIL dekar isn't cool

Hughie

Smash Lad
It feels like these are the dates cause it seems shadowlogic really want to host the first smash 4 major, which is **** because Miles' Warehouse 2 and Buttonsmash are all really close so rip interstate attendance

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
I'm not fussed since I just want to get better, but a February Shadowloo Showdown 6 does make Buttonsmash look unlikely for me.
Still, while it requires travel at some point for everyone, I don't think it's the worst to have a lot of Major tournies close together. Makes for a good active period especially before uni/work/school become intense.
I Personally liked the the date of SSV this year but only because I was able to manage time so I didn't have loose ends at uni. Other people were juggling B1G assignments with the event.

I'm not sure how these things work, is there need for big competition between video game hosting organisations? Is hosting the first Smash 4 tournament really the reason for this? Will the game even be out by February lol
Plus we'll need some time to establish a non-bogus ruleset. I don't know how long this usually takes but I came into the Brawl scene in 2009 and people were still playing on Pirate Ship so...

ps old school quote from my mum
"Really? The guy who stole my ice cream is the best in Australia?"

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
Yo february 6? a week (or 2) before I go back to school? and my parents have nothing planned for the holidays?
I know how I'm spending my holidays

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Honestly a season of many nationals all over is really really good if there's a solid amount of interstate travel coupled with really strong base scene sizes.

Like having 50-60+ locals available and over 10-20 travelers branching around is really good for competition. People from Perth could plan to stay around for a portion of their summer holidays and stuff like that and bolster those travel numbers further. We could have a lot of streaming happening for this and hype a lot of recent matches/sets as titans are pairing off often, we could even have these numbers double just by virtue of it being a new game.

"Summers" are like this in the States (where it's like 100-200 people in a region coupled with 50-100 people traveling a lot) where you literally have a major-sized event every weekend or every other for two months all over the country. Entire countries improve dramatically. By the second summer of Brawl, Australian players who went to Genesis 1 were thought of as 6 months to a year behind the American meta.

This news should be "let me plan well ahead and get lots of cheap flight tickets (or carpools)" NOW, so I can get the most out of what a larger/active scene will promote. Could you imagine a mix of Caotic, S.D, Dekar, Ted, etc playing every fortnight in tournaments with a different backdrop on each occasion? People get infected with that fervour and vastly improve quickly too, suddenly more upsets, more inspirations for the scene to grow.

yada yada yada. THIS IS GOOD. If you love this game

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Then it doesn't apply to you at all then?
Until you get conned into going anyway and then either come to love the game instead or hate it even more.

Last edited:

Sieg

Smash Champion
It's actually really good, it's deff a move for the better, even if it does step on a few toes. Honestly I prefer SS to BS, just because it really is that premier tournament right now.

That being said it'll be interesting to see what Buttonsmash do to hype interest now.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think it's important that people visit other regions. I'm all for more tournaments more often, as long as they compliment each other instead of override them. I suspect that the main reason for the SS date shift is for wider FGC needs and not that of Smash in particular.

sundowns

Smash Rookie
Could be a bit rough for some of my fellow Perthies as we'll be returning from a Japan holiday just days before. The other alternative is for us to drift around the east coast for all of february :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom